Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

• Customer Reviews

on July 5, 2013
I for the last 7 years I have LOVED this product, that changed last night when I opened my new bottle. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that the flavor was different, and I had a slightly stinging sensation in my mouth which Biotene had never caused before. I checked the bottle to make sure I had purchased the right formula and then double checked it against my old bottle. Yes, it was the right type of Biotene, UPC matched on both bottles, BUT the formula has changed. It now no longer contains the beneficial enzymes that the old formula contained and it makes the claim of "NEW Improved pH Balance".

Old ingredients: PURIFIED WATER, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, XYITOL, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, POLOXAMER 407, HYDROXYETHYL CELLULOSE, SODIUM BENZOATE, FLAVOR (peppermint oil), benzoic acid, disodium phosphate, zinc gluconate, lactoferrin, lysozyme, lactoperoxidase, potassium thiocyanate, aloe vera gel, calcium lactate, glucose oxidase.

New ingredients: PURIFIED WATER, glycerine, XYITOL, sorbitol, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, POLOXAMER 407, SODIUM BENZOATE, HYDROXYETHYL CELLULOSE, methylparaben, propylparaben, FLAVOR, sodium phosphate, disodium phosphate.

The ingredients that are the same in both forumulas I wrote in all caps.

Personally I liked the old formula a lot better. If I asked nicely, alright it I begged, do you think they'd change it back?
6868 comments|175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Your experience with Biotene is one of our most important priorities and your feedback is important. Please call our customer care center at 1(800) 922-5856 weekdays between 9 am and 4:30 pm EST to share your Biotene experience and speak to us about how we can address your concerns.
on August 2, 2013
While I used to really, really love this product, they have recently changed the formula. Not only is the flavor now really chemical-y tasting but it also makes your whole mouth numb. The enzymes have been taken out and they've also added methyl- and propyl-parabens, which many people try to avoid.
99 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2013
Please note that the product description does not match the image of the caption for product, which indicates it has calcium in it.
If you enlarge the photo, next to the "33.8 fl oz (1 liter)" at the bottom of the label is a code, which says "100289XC" which is a new code.
I have a bottle I just emptied, which has the same UPC symbol, but next to the size on the label, is the code "1000289XB" which is the older code. Yesterday,I opened a bottle of the newer product and was surprised at how the taste had changed - it seems much more like a chemically contrived taste rather than a refreshing natural one. The new taste has a much thicker cloying mouth feel too. My spouse noted the same disgusting taste. It was so striking this morning that I retrieved the older bottle from the recycle bin to compare the ingredient list. Two BIG changes - no longer is xylitol the sole sweetener - the new formula contains sorbitol too - an artificial sweetener which many try to avoid. Sorbitol is irritating to my mouth and gums. AND, no longer are there any enzymes like zinc gluconate, lactoferrin, lysozyme, lactoperixodase, glucose oxidase. No calcium either [old formula had calcium lactate].
After using this product for more than a decade, I have cancelled my subscribe and save order - this just isn't the product that had been so successful for me.
2222 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2013
This product has changed it's formula. The label was deceptively changed to look the same, when actually it is a different product. It no longer works for me. This is not the same product I was using. I no longer recommend this product. Before the changes were made it was great. I was disappointed when I bought the same bottle only to find a different and ineffective product.

Old Biotene
Purified Water, Propylene Glycol, Xylitol, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Poloxamer 407, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Benzoate, Flavor (Peppermint Oil), Benzoic Acid, Disodium Phosphate, Zinc Gluconate, Lactoferrin, Lysozyme, Lactoperoxidase, Potassium Thiocyanate, Aloe Vera Gel, Calcium Lactate, Glucose Oxidase

New Biotene
Purified Water, Glycerine, Xylitol, Sorbitol, Propylene, Glycol, Poloxamer 407, Sodium Benzoate, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Disodium Phosphate
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2013
I recently purchased the "New and Improved" Biotene and absolutely HATED it! My gums burned, tongue swelled and became numb and the taste was that of cough syrup. I was told that Biotene plans to change all its products to this formula and I am here to BEG Biotene to please keep the old formula. I have been a long time fan of Biotene and attribute my good oral health to it for managing my severe dry mouth. However, these changes have made the product completely unusable. I am totally dependent upon this product and so I tried this new product numerous times but each time these negative reactions ocurred. I know Biotene said it is trying to make the product closer to "natural saliva" with these formula changes. But what good are these changes if the product is unusable? I am fairly certain natural saliva doesn't cause burning on the gums and swelling and numbing of the tongue or taste like cough syrup. The old formula worked beautifully, was gentle, moisturizing and had a fresh mint taste. Who wants oral pain and the non-kissable taste of cough syrup at bedtime? I All I can do now is stock up on the old version and start to look for another product. I regret leaving Biotene as I loved the product and its benefits to my oral health but regrettably I must. Please Biotene, bring back the old version! As the old saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
33 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2013
Would just like to make others who use and depend on Biotene know the original Biotene formula has changed. Many of you are probably already aware if you've tried and were surprised by the horrible taste and burning sensation their new formula causes. The new formula DOES NOT include the beneficial enzymes it once did. I called the makers of this product, Glaxo Smith Kline and was told they have no plans to bring back the old formula. I asked them why they made such a change. The young lady on the other end of the line was not able to fully answer my question, other than to offer up that the formula was changed to make it more PH friendly. She stated the new formula was more in-line with the human mouth's PH level. She also suggested that the new formula would be more beneficial for dry mouth. I explained to her I suffered from a condition called Sjogren's Syndrome, which causes severe and sensitive dry mouth amongst other things. I told her the new formula does not work as well as the old formula did for my Sjogren's! When questioned further about the enzyme removal, she had no answer at all. She sounded robotic, as if she were reading from a script card. I told her they just lost another customer, as the new formula is going in the bin. She said they would mail me a refund, so that's that. Sad their loyal customer's who have used and relied on this product for many years will now have to find another alternative.
on January 2, 2014
I have used Biotene Dry Mouth Oral Rinse for many years and loved the product. It was always gentle and effective. Imagine my surprise when I tried my most recent purchase and it caused my mouth to burn so badly that I had to rinse it out. There was also a strong "minty" smell that was not there before. I bought another lot thinking it was a lot problem but it was the same. I am deeply saddened that I cannot use this product any more and wonder what I will do. Also I am miffed that I paid big bucks for two bottles of Biotene that I can't use.

Why would a company make a horrible change like this. It is new product development gone horribly awry. People with dry mouth also often have a very sensitive mouth. DUH. Lets make a product that our customer base can't use.

I noticed the the company posted a response to one of the amazon reviews saying call us and let us know about your problem. I called twice today and after waiting over ten minutes each time gave up. I then sent two emails, neither of which have been answered. So much for their caring and great customer service.

Update: Since I had to stop using the reformulated Biotene Mouthwash because it caused terrible burning I have developed serious problems in my mouth. Five years of using Biotene with great success and now I am in trouble. Set adrift without notice to try and find another product that might work. How can a company ignore its loyal customers, people who depend on them, and reformualte so drastically a product that worked so well for so many people for so many years. When I finally got through to customer service, after many minutes of waiting on many tries, their answer was basically tough luck. Don't support a company that would do this. There are other products out there, or at least I hope so.
on November 12, 2013
This new and improved product is not the Biotene product that many have relied upon in the past. As an oral cancer patient I was subjected to a blast of Radiation to my mouth which essentially killed my saliva glands. This was the only product that helped for an extended period of time. Recently GSK has changed the formula of all the Biotene products to make it neutral ph. As a result the Enzymes that actually made it unique and useful are all gone. GSK has added nothing of value to the product. If you are still paying the very high cost of this product stop, compare the label, save your money. This appears to be all about bottom line profits and to hell with the people that actually needed this for a decent quality of life.
on November 22, 2013
The new formula, which contains none of the enzymes they claimed did the job, simply does not work for me. Years ago, Biotene practically saved my life by preventing the ongoing pain I was experiencing due to severe dry mouth. Why did the formula change? How were you planning to improve a product that was already so highly regarded? Are you saving money by using new ingredients? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, go back to the old stuff. In the meantime, I'm looking for something similar to the old formula, and if anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
on May 10, 2010
My husband had radiation on his throat for lymph node cancer. The radiation made his mouth and throat very dry and this seems to help a lot. He carries a small bottle with him at all times.
44 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse