Customer Discussions > Dragon Age 2 - Xbox 360 forum

Bioware sequels under EA = dumbed down?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2011 11:16:43 AM PDT
Ryan Palmer says:
Ever since Bioware got bought out by EA, the sequels to great games have been dumbed down, according to reviewers, so that a larger audience could enjoy them.
Mass Effect 2 was stripped of most customization and RPG elements, and now DAII is receiving bad reviews from people who really enjoyed the first game.
I think EA is just out for the quick buck with these sequels.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 6:05:07 PM PDT
Seems bioware is tring to appeal to a larger audience, and they did with the great me2... I played the for ME and the only thing that kept me going was the intense story but kept thinking I just wish the combat was a lil dull. I wasn't sure I was going to get me2 and didn't for the longest time. when I did I found almost a hybrid of genres... I just picked up da2 to try it first hand.. got it for 20 off the $60 price tag.... hope it warrants a complete play though.

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 12:39:19 PM PDT
SuperHiro says:
Seems like it Ryan. Though it's not necessarily just EA, but they're definetly one of the main parties doing this. If I were you I'd count on DA3 and ME3 being even more dumbed down. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if ME3 was just a full on FPS, and DA3 will probably have the subtitle "Dynasty Warriors" and only take place in 1 dungeon.

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 6:54:03 PM PDT
J. Cammack says:
It's good to see others are feeling like me. It kills me that so many people loved what they did with ME2, I am still trying to talk myself into playing it for the second time, but it is a hard sell. I hate hearing that a sequel is going to be streamlined or "more accessible", that is just saying the game is going to be as complex as a one piece puzzle. What bothers me is that there are plenty of fps or tps out there,(I do like a good shooter), and RPGs still get stripped down to nothing. I am glad to see Dragon Age 2 not getting a pass like ME2. ME2 was just too simplified. It got a pass though because too many people were taken by its graphics and the thought that it was a shooter, which it really was. I have a hard time when people try to call ME2 an RPG because in my view it is a shooter with a small taste of RPG to it. But unfortunately for those of us that enjoy some complexity to a game, we are small in number and money is the name of the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 8:16:00 AM PDT
That's exactly it, J. The game is to take something quirky and immersive and charming and add vanilla, lots and lots, so it appeals to more people. I suppose we all know that, but's it's so disappointing to see, because you end up in a situation in which I'll buy and play ME3 to see the end of the story, but I'll be yearning the whole time for the hook I got with ME1. For me, that first rendition, with all its flaws, was a sublime interactive experience. I think Bioware's now at the "meh" stage of development, for me.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 4:41:34 PM PDT
EA tries to make their games accessible to a large audience. They are to video games as pop music is to the world of music. Pop music sells a ton, but most of it is lame crap that makes you wanna tap your foot.
It's not deep, complex, inspirational, or emotional.
Ke$ha vs. Mozart

If a game is too hard or too complex or requires a learning curve to fully appreciate it, forget it. EA sees this things as "unfriendly" to casual gamers.

Posted on Mar 30, 2011 1:39:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2011 4:58:51 PM PDT
SuperHiro says:
Yea, one of the EA bosses did an interview with gamespot responding to the gamer criticism of the dumbed down RPG elements and his explanations of why they did it I found to be quite insulting. For example, he said they decided not to let you change your ally's armor because "that way, each ally has their own distinct visual style that would be ruined if you altered their armor." I guess that means they think I'm too stupid to be able to tell which one of my sidecharacters I'm looking at unless they all have their own "unique"(aka Stock) armor. They're literally suggesting that the character loses it's uniqueness when you give them a different armor set. That is the lamest possible excuse for that change, I would've been more satisfied if they simply said, "We didn't want to have to re-skin them" because at least they would've been honest. Oh yea and he also said in the interview that they wouldn't be changing the style back, so expect an even MORE dumbed down Dragon Age and Mass Effect 3!

"Press A to beat the game" Hooray!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 11:55:01 AM PDT
J. Cammack says:
Super, I really wasn't expecting DA3 and ME3 to be more RPG heavy, but your post is still very depressing. I keep hoping that ME3 is going to be more like ME1, but after DA2 and ME2 I know I am just fooling myself.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 8:14:03 PM PDT
SuperHiro says:
Yea I know what you mean :\. Here's the article if you guys wanna read it. http://www.gamespot.com/features/6305575/index.html It's five pages long and what I mentioned in my previous post isn't even the worst of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2011 4:27:42 PM PDT
J. Cammack says:
Thanks for the link. After reading that it just proves DA2 was a rush job. I am noticing they are not in a rush to put out a patch though. What those five pages translated out to say was: "We want more money and don't care how our product really turns out."

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:53:10 PM PST
DMac says:
This is a seriously old discussion, but I have a glimmer of hope to add to it. Rumor has it they listened to the ranting and we'll be able to change party members' armor in DA3. I sort of understand what they meant, basically "we made X look cool and if you put Dalish armor on him he looks like a dweeb instead, so we're just gonna force you not to do that," but aside from Morrigan I've really never associated an RPG character with a piece of clothing. Probably just didn't want to load another variable into cutscenes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2013 8:04:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2013 8:06:10 AM PDT
A customer says:
Goodbye Dragon age.

Say hello to Mass Effect with swords.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Mar 22, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dragon Age 2 - Xbox 360
Dragon Age 2 - Xbox 360 by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
3.5 out of 5 stars   (407)