Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories (Classic Seuss)
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon October 6, 2011
Seven stories in a single book for the price of a single story book. Previously unpublished in book form. Previously published in magazines, and magazine in size, the stories beyond beginner level.

I loved 'The Strange Shirt Spot,' which reminded me of my own childhood misadventures. 'The Great Henry Mc Bride,' reminded me of the childlike sense of what I would do when I grew up. I never did go into space, although some might argue that point. The Rabbit, The Bear and the Zinniga Zanniga is just the type of story a child loves to read or listen to, about a clever rabbit who uses an eyelash when faced with a bear.

The Bippolo seed tells of a young duck named McKluck, who had a wonderful piece of good luck. We have the twins Tadd and Todd, and the adventure of Gustav the Goldfish, and Steak for Supper, wisdom for a kid. Previously I have bought the Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish, Green Eggs and Ham, Hop on Pop, Fox in Socks)collection as a gift to pass on, five stories in separate books in a boxed set, which I mention here because it's incredible value compared to buying those books separately.

If you're like me I think you will love these books, whether it's five stories in separate books boxed, or seven lost adventure stories in a single book for the price of a single story book. I think it's well worth it for how much you can get, and for how little you have to pay to get it.

I know you will enjoy these wonderful stories, and I hope this review was helpful.
I read this book to 2 usually wiggly seven-year-old females at story time and our usual time is a 30 minute stretch. At the end of 30 minutes I asked if they were ready for snack and they said "read more." So when I finished up the book at 50 minutes they had about 3 minutes of wiggling and were definitely ready for their snack. But I was amazed at how well this book captivated them. I wish I had a hundred more books just like it. It held them completely. Love you Dr. Seuss!
on September 28, 2011
Lost? More like misplaced, and thanks to Charles Cohen these Seuss stories are where they should be-on our kids' bookshelves. The messages are there, as are the crazy characters, the rhyming patterns we all grew up with, and the beautiful artwork. Let's hope there are even more in the future.
on October 31, 2011
As a super huge fan of ANYTHING Dr. Seuss, I must say this book is more than excellent! Illustrations look original,vintage and the stories are amazing. I've already ordered another rare find from the Doc. By the way, I'm 57 yrs. of age. I will be reading him if I live to be 100...
on October 24, 2011
This is a quick, enjoyable book to read. Very glad they've assembled some of his old stories from magazines into one book. All the stories share Seuss characteristics of fun reading, lopsided language, great colorful drawings and lessons learned within the text. These are not among his best, however. Still a worthwhile read and very close to his usual talent, just not quite up to par. Your Favorite Seuss: A Baker's Dozen by the One and Only Dr. Seuss is filled with his best works.
on February 17, 2014
I've ordered several books from Amazon and most were packaged well for shipping (wrapped in plastic, placed in an appropriately sized stiff box and securely padded.) This was a rare exception. The three Dr. Seuss books I purchased, including The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories, arrived in a flimsy fold-over cardboard package that did not protect the book corners from becoming bent and crumpled, and the package itself was open at two of the corners, leaving the books vulnerable to moisture and dirt. Because these three books will be handled by young children and probably become bent and dirtied in time anyway, I decided not to request a replacement. However, Amazon needs to show more care when they send out hardcover books, as First Editions, etc. lose a lot of their value to collectors if they exhibit damage to their corners, spines or page edges.

That disappointment aside, we're already enjoying these newest editions to our library of classic Dr. Seuss stories. I hadn't read The Bippolo Seed before and was delighted to find it while browsing for new titles for my grandson. I remember reading Dr. Seuss as a child, then sharing them with younger siblings, and passing them on to our son when he became old enough. Now I get to watch a whole new generation of readers discover the fun these books provide.
66 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2011
I am a very serious reader but I still love Dr. Seuss, so I was delighted to find out that they had rediscovered seven stories of his. I had planned to read a book a day to make it last and savor every last glorious word, but I simply couldn't, and read it in a single sitting. In this book you see another adventure on Mulberry street, a new slew of animals, and his classic genius rhyme. He is one of my personal favorites and I read everything from Harry Potter to Shakespeare who isn't as good of a poet. For anyone who loves the good Doctor I would recommend buying it as fast as you can.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 30, 2011
My family loves the brilliance that is Dr. Seuss, so I guess you could call this review biased from the get-go. Given that, I am still pleased with the seven stories collected in newly published volume of his work; ones that had only been seen in magazine of the 40s and 50s until now. I remember reading a couple of these stories as child, those being 'Tadd and Todd' and 'Gustav the Goldfish'. They also happen to be my favorites, but that may be be for sentimental reasons since they all are wonderful. My childrens' favorites are 'The Bippolo Seed' and 'The Bear, the Rabbit, and the Zinniga-Zanniga'. None of them disappoint however, and they stand as equals to any of Dr. Seuss' other short stories.

Dentist Charles Cohen painstaking collected these stories from the various magazines in which they were published. Conversion to book format much improved the layout and look of them and also allowed the illustrations to be presented in full color. I tip my hat to Dr. Cohen for his love of Dr. Seuss' vision and the work that went into tracking down these tales. If not for him, future generations might never have been able to experience this amazing collection.

~ Kort
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on February 23, 2015
I loved this book! This collection of stories is packaged together perfectly, making for a pleasurable read.

The masterful art, full of wondrous color, invoke the imagination of its reader and listener, as the unique words of ridiculousness bring about laughter and smiles. The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories is a classic from its publication date and should be a mainstay for building children's vocabulary.

The extensive amount of pages in this book (72 pages) allow for a fun, exciting, and adventurous time with plenty of reread appeal.

The seven stories in this collection had been lost for decades, and it is invigorating to get the chance to read some of the lost art from Dr. Seuss.

"The Bippolo Seed”, "Gustav, the Goldfish”, and "The Strange Shirt Spot" are my favorite stories in this collection.

The pacing of the words and the use of language make each of these stories top-notch, and in the reader cannot help but smile or laugh.

There are more words in each story than that of a "normal" Seuss book, with just a few pictures for each story. With this said, the words are not overbearing, but rather engaging and thought provoking.

Additionally, the art included in the stories are extensively detailed, so the limited use of them in the form of quantity is not a drawback in the least.

REMEMBER, Quality trumps quantity, as I would rather have a small number of detailed pictures than a large number of pictures with less detail.

Dr. Seuss never gets old, and his literature, with this piece included, get the minds of children going.

This quality hardcover book is definitely worth the buy, and Seuss readers should keep an eye out on future books to come from new-found literature of the past, such as What Pet Should I Get?, which will be coming out on July 28, 2015.
on January 20, 2016
An omnibus of seven early Dr. Seuss stories that had gotten lost. The illustrations in all the stories are great fun with that typical Dr. Seuss flair.

My Take
If you're a children's writer (or wanna be *grin*), do read the introduction by Charles D. Cohen to learn more about why Ted Geisel wrote as he did, what influenced him. That bit about three-year-old Brad having memorized a Dr. Seuss story is, as Cohen states, "a pivotal point in Dr. Seuss's writing career".

The Stories
"The Bippolo Seed" finds McKluck the duck being influenced into greed. And, oh, boy, you can have some fun with your child reading the long, long list of McKluck's wishes and how silly they are.

"The Rabbit, the Bear, and the Zinniga-Zanniga" is quite funny as the rabbit proves that "It's always the same when you fight with Big Guys…A bit of Quick-Thinking counts much more than size".

Definitely a great topic to address with your kids about thinking being better than fighting. There's also that great laugh over scamming that hypochondriacal bear.

"Gustav, the Goldfish" definitely appeals to me. I always feel bad that my kittens don't get the variety or amount of food I feed myself, especially when they turn those great big eyes on me and plead with me to f-e-e-d them. They're starving…

This could turn into a chat about responsibility to their pets and themselves.

"Tadd and Todd"

"Which one was what one, and what one was who."

A story about twins with one who wants to be an individual, unique while the other likes being part of pair whom no one can tell apart. It's all the things Tadd does, trying to be different, that provide a great opportunity to talk with your kids about being different and coming up with more and more sillier and sillier ideas. Although…how you could get sillier than Dr. Seuss…?

And, it seems, there is an inevitability about being a twin, lol.

"That I am just I, and that I am not he."

"Steak for Supper" finds a little boy in great distress, for he had been bragging and manages to escape by the skin of the stew.

"The Strange Shirt Spot" makes me wonder if Dr. Seuss isn't telling us that we can't hide anything from our parents.

"The Great Henry McBride" is caught up in all the possibilities of a future career. Cohen does mention that Ted Geisel is the original Henry McBride with all the careers he pursued. I know there are quite a few of us who have explored different vocations, and Dr. Seuss explores them with all the gusto of youth.

That ending line cracks me up: "The best job is dreaming, with no work at all."

The Cover and Title
The cover has a slightly grayed-out colonial blue background with a quick sketch of the characters in each of the stories. With McKluck the duck as he finds the bippolo seed, to Henry McBride dreaming under a tree, Tadd and Todd truckin' along, the boy trying to clean out that spot, Gustav outgrowing his bowl, the blabbing young boy with his trailing line, and the bear and the rabbit. All in pure Dr. Seuss style.

The title is what it is, The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories.