5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome refinishing kit
Published on August 15, 2012 by James

2.0 out of 5 stars Advice from a custom stock maker . . .
I've been building my own gunstocks from blanks or semi-inletted form for about 47 years. In addition, I spent the last eleven years of my working life as a master cabinetmaker and woodcrafter before retiring.
Published 10 months ago by Hyjanks

2.0 out of 5 stars Advice from a custom stock maker . . ., January 28, 2014
Hyjanks "Hyjanks" (Canon City, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Stock Finish Kit (Sports)
I've used virtually every finish and technique known to man for gunstock and furniture finishing--including Tru-Oil finishes early on before I knew what I was doing.
After I got proficient at finishing gunstocks, I settled on two different methods for obtaining an outstanding finish. If you want to use your rifle outdoors in inclement weather, forget Tru-Oil or any oil-based product--unless you look forward to refinishing your stock within a year or two.
Here's the technique I use if you actually want a finish that stands up to just about everything. Follow the instructions for sanding, taking care not to damage the checkering if present. Once you get down to 220 or 320 grit, "raise the grain": Use a slightly dampened cloth and rub the moisture in the stock. If you are in a warm environment, you'll immediately see little "whiskers" pop out from the surface of the wood. To hasten this process, apply heat from a torch (don't burn the wood, now!). Take 000 grade steel wool and push against the raised grain to remove these whiskers. This process may take a few applications and rubbing.
It's imperative that you follow this step because if your stock is ever exposed to rain or excess humidity, there's the real possibility that those whiskers you didn't remove will pop up under the finish.
Next, apply a 50/50 mixture of turpentine and spar varnish. This step will seal the wood surface, preventing the "splotching" that others have described after applying a stain. Let the stock dry 24 hours or more depending upon the humidity of your environment. After the sealer is dry, rub the stock down with the 000 steel wool and remove any dust with a tack rag.
Apply your stain at this time and let it dry thoroughly, letting it dry completely before applying the final finish. Rub and tack the stained stock.
Here's the tricky part that takes patience and practice. Use a petroleum-based finish in a spray can such as Krylon Crystal Clear (either semi-gloss or matte) Use NO water-based finishes. Hang your stock up outdoors so that you get a clear shot at all areas. Spray a SLIGHT AMOUNT of finish on the stock, just so it barely covers. Wait until it dries completely. Rub the stock down with 0000 steel wool. Tack the surface. Hang it up again and spray another SLIGHT AMOUNT of finish. Repeat this process until you can see the depth of finish you want. Since you have removed the whiskers previously, you will have to spray the stock at least six times so that the grain pockets are completely filled to the surface. If you want a matte finish, you're done. If you want a semi-glass finish, rub the stock down carefully with 0000 steel wool and finish polishing with a course rag like an old bath towel.
You are then left with a water-resistant stock that you'll probably never have to refinish--unless you abuse the stock, of course.
If you prefer oil (the second method I mentioned), use the Tru-Oil stuff, only you are going to have to increase the number of application times since oil doesn't fill as rapidly as the stuff in the spray can.
I'd give Tru-Oil five stars if this was my first attempt at finishing a stock. But if you want it done professionally, use my technique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome refinishing kit, August 15, 2012
This review is from: Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Stock Finish Kit (Sports)
I bought this product, to refinish a rifle, I bought from my father in law. It took about a week to refinish it. I followed the instructions on the staining and the final perpetration of my rifle and ended up with a glossy look. But I wanted that look. I personally like the look myself, but there is also a stage to take the glossy look away, at the end. This is a very good kit and brings an old stock to a new stock in a week or so. Just follow the instruction, there is other places online to look at too for help if needed. You won't be sorry with this kit. I have even ordered another kit, for another rifle I have bought from a name brand store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Near professional results if done correctly., March 30, 2009
Follow the supplied instructions and supplement them with the tons of info on stock refinishing you can find on the web, and you will produce some nice results with this kit. It takes TIME and PATIENCE.
It took two weeks and ten THIN coats of the Tru-Oil on a bolt action rifle stock, but I could hand this gun to most any average gun enthusiast and they would not notice that the wood had been redone.
You will probably need to buy some extra sandpaper to do a good job, but other than that it's all in the kit.
PROTIP: If I did it over again, I would only use one coat of the stain. It doesn't look like its coloring the wood very much, but the Tru-Oil darkens the wood nicely on its own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs better instructions, April 28, 2014
This review is from: Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Stock Finish Kit (Sports)
The instructions could have been better such as masking off the checkering with painters tape instead of regular masking
tape since it's adhesion will melt into the checkering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tru Oil, January 17, 2014
This review is from: Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Stock Finish Kit (Sports)
This product is fool proof. I am a fool and can make a gun stock look like a million bucks. Take your time and remove any and ALL scratches, etc. prior to first coat. Wife on several coats with 4 or 5 hours in between - steel wool - then do it again. Wow!! Easy to do repairs as well -

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent results, September 29, 2014
This review is from: Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Stock Finish Kit (Sports)
Restored a Savage Model 24 stock with this and the results were fantastic. Although you might be able to buy all of the sandpaper and steel wool separately at a batter price, this package is an excellent kit for the beginner and it will give you a true idea of what you need. There is enough liquid product for several stocks as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kit with everything needed to re-finish a gun stock ..., September 16, 2014
This review is from: Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Stock Finish Kit (Sports)
Great kit with everything needed to re-finish a gun stock once the old finish is removed, including clear instructions. I re-finished one entire stock and had plenty of supplies left over for at least several more. Reasonably priced, to say the least, so spring for gin stock wax for a really professional looking and feeling job.

(BTW, I found the best way to remove an old varnish-like finish was with a Red Devil two edged scraper. Just be patient and get a feel for the bite of the blades on the old varnish and you won't damage the wood and won't have to resort to harsh chemical removers or endless sanding.)

3.0 out of 5 stars My dad has been looking for a stock finishing kit ..., August 21, 2014
This review is from: Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Stock Finish Kit (Sports)
My dad has been looking for a stock finishing kit so I figured I'd get it for him and he has been over 2 weeks trying to get it to turn out right and he has followed the step by step instructions that are provided. It needs more sand paper added to it, because it doesn't turn out the way it's supposed too the first time applying the coat, so you have to remove it or however you do it and reapply again. After the 3rd time of applying it, he says it finally looks the way he wants it. He just hopes it stays that way!

1.0 out of 5 stars Packaging mistake, May 22, 2014
This review is from: Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Stock Finish Kit (Sports)
Included conditioner bottle and two stain bottles- no oil. Don't have much use for a finish kit that doesn't include the finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need., April 24, 2014
This review is from: Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Stock Finish Kit (Sports)
Been refinishing stocks for awhile now, and this kit has everything you will need to do the job. I have bought this kit numerous times.

Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Stock Finish Kit