This is the essential new field guide to the birds of Chile. Representing a great diversity of habitats, from the Andes in the north down to the tundra and sub-Antarctic rainforest of Tierra del Fuego in the far south, Chile is the breeding ground or temporary abode of 473 known species including 9 found nowhere else in the world. Birds of Chile covers them all, embracing not only the mainland but points offshore such as Easter Island as well as the Antarctic Peninsula and adjacent islands, plus the Falklands and South Georgia. In addition to being a friendly and fruitful birding destination in its own right, Chile is the starting point for many Antarctic cruises.
Succinct, identification-focused text and distribution maps share a page opposite each of the 97 color plates to allow quick and easy reference. Between the boldfaced English name and the scientific name comes the Spanish name as used in Chile; this is important, for birders will find their quest far more enjoyable and effectual if they can explain to Chileans exactly what they are looking at, think they are looking at, or hope to be looking at.
Since Chile's list of resident species is yet far from conclusive, vagrants and rarities are also included. Indeed, some birds once thought to be accidentals in Chile have since proved to be regulars, including the Westland Petrel, Least Sandpiper, Cliff Swallow, and Golden-billed Saltator. Compact, comprehensive, and easy to use, Birds of Chile is the essential field guide to the birds of this spectacular and tourist-friendly country.
- The essential new field guide to the birds of Chile
- 97 color plates with succinct text and maps on facing pages for quick reference and easy identification
- All 473 known species breeding in or visiting Chile, from the Andes in the north down to the tundra and sub-Antarctic rainforest of Tierra del Fuego in the south
- Also covers points offshore such as Easter Island as well as the Antarctic Peninsula and adjacent islands, plus the Falklands and South Georgia
- Compact, portable, and user-friendly