5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Field Guide
This book fits in your pocket, is well organized and has great pictures to help identify that bird in your back yard. I have an old Audubon Eastern Birds book and this book has better pictures and is much more compact. Birds are arranged by primary colors. Grab a copy and head outside.
Published on February 13, 2006 by Bill Stockstill

1.0 out of 5 stars not a real field guide
This is not a real book, and it is not good for identification purposes. It is simply a "recipe" collection of very generic, somewhat outdated "species accounts" which are packaged by the state. It is a money making scheme. If you want a field guide, get Sibley, Kaufman, Peterson, American Bird Conservancy... there are so many good ones. Skip this.

As...
Published on June 15, 2010 by T. Muise

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Field Guide, February 13, 2006
Bill Stockstill ""Bill"" (Marietta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Birds of Georgia Field Guide (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginners' guide to bird identification, February 10, 2007
This review is from: Birds of Georgia Field Guide (Paperback)
I'm not a twitcher, I'm a photographer. I love the birds, but have no clue about their taxonomy. For years I have battled against books that just don't work the way my mind does.

This book is a fantastic and simple way to identify bird by color and size, and using it has not only brought the pleasure of identifying the bird, but has also improved my own observation of the birds I'm looking at.

For example, initially I might have just noted, say, a 'brown bird with a black bit on it' - and might find that the a couple of options might potentially match (I'd have to look again at the bird to confirm which one it was). After a while using the book, I now find myself looking for the kinds of information that I know will come up in the descriptions - perhaps the chest color, eye color, size and color of the bill, and so on.

This book has given me and my family a huge amount of pleasure. Top job, Mr Tekiela.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't found a bird not listed in this book., March 27, 2006
This review is from: Birds of Georgia Field Guide (Paperback)
I've owned this book over a year and have yet to find a bird in Georgia that isn't listed. I should probably move up to larger book, if I had one complaint (small one or I would deduct a star) is I wish that every bird mentioned in this book had multiple views, sometimes when I'm watching I'm unable to get the same view as the book is showing and I'm left reading the descriptions of the suspected bird for both male and female. With that said some birds do have multiple views (including male, female, and juvenile if they're different) but not all birds.

Overall I love the book and would highly recommend it for any individual in Georgia that's looking to get into bird watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for kids!, January 23, 2007
This review is from: Birds of Georgia Field Guide (Paperback)
this is a great field guide! I love how the birds are organized by color, so even young children can easily look up and identify the birds they see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a book you can use!, May 13, 2008
This review is from: Birds of Georgia Field Guide (Paperback)
Well, it is about time a small compact book with full color photos showing male, female, winter and summer plumage was available. Actual bird photos are so much better than a drawing or a black and white shot. So many times, I have seen a strange bird and could not find enough information as to what type it was, now I can.
I gave the book a 4 instead of a 5 because the description did not tell where the nests were located, the nesting materials used, nest designs or egg shapes and colors. I found by accident that the Kildeer lay eggs on open ground, are ready to eat and run within a few hours after birth and that the parents carry the broken eggs away from the hatching. This bird lore is very interesting and this type of description should be included for each bird.
But overall, a great bird information source and perfect for beginners like me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy reference, August 3, 2007
This review is from: Birds of Georgia Field Guide (Paperback)
I really like this book, especially the way the birds are grouped by size within color-tabbed sections. Also, male & female birds, when notably different, are on different pages. The index has a box next to each named bird so it's easy to record which birds you've spotted. However, I took away 1 star because I think some of the birds need more than 1 view, and I've seen some birds in my yard that are not in the book. Overall, I would recommend this book. The size makes it portable enough to take anywhere, and the organization and indexing make it easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect quick reference book, May 3, 2009
This review is from: Birds of Georgia Field Guide (Paperback)
So easy for a non-birding expert to use. The book is well organized, portable, and has great photos. The birds are organized by color, which was a really sensible approach. This is the best birding book I own for identifying GA birds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use field guide, September 3, 2009
This review is from: Birds of Georgia Field Guide (Paperback)
This book is great for the novice backyard bird watcher! It is very easy to use.The book is organized by the bird's dominant color. I also like the fact that the pictures are actual photos, not drawings.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to identify birds no matter what age you are!, September 2, 2008
G. Casteel (Southern Georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds of Georgia Field Guide (Paperback)
I purchased this guide because of the good reviews I had read on it. I like that you can look up the birds by color as we are bird novice's and even my young children can look up the birds they see on our feeders and identify them. Great guide all the way around!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Birds of Georgia Field Guide (Paperback)
I bought this book for my mom for Christmas and she loves it because you can search the birds by color. The birds love all the bird feeders on her back porch and we watch them through the kitchen window and look them up in this book to see what they are.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Birds of Georgia Field Guide
Birds of Georgia Field Guide by Stan Tekiela (Paperback - June 1, 2002)
$14.95 $11.21