Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

75%
25%
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 2, 2007
Children are naturally curious about nature. This book, among many of the Let's Read and Find Out Science books, is a wonderful book that helps children learn more about the world around them.

As with most of the books in this series, it opens with a story-line to which kids can easily relate, like watching birds go from tree to tree. Beautiful illustrations which also label the birds will assist children in beginning to identify birds.

Children are introduced to vocabulary such as:

1. migrating
2. Ornithologist

Children will learn about a widely held past theory about why birds seemed to "disappear" in the winter. They will discover a few leading theories as to how birds currently "find their way," including directional navigation (North, East, West, South) and the possible use of the Earth's magnetic field.

There is a wonderful chart at the end of the book which illustrates the various heights at which birds and aircraft fly.

This book is sure to delight, and educate.
on October 10, 2012
As Fall brings many migrating birds over our home, my 8 and 11 year olds had lots of questions. We took quite a few books out of the library and this one was our favorite. The illustrations were very nice. It was an easy read aloud for my 8 year old. Best of all, it answered all of the questions we has...and more.
on May 29, 2010
When the answer to the title questions is, "We still don't really know"...

... anyway, this book does a good job explaining what we do know, and how scientists track birds, and what experiments scientists have done to test birds' abilities. The illustrations are realistic, the birds are recognizable, and it's a visually pretty book.

I always love this Let's-Read-And-Find-Out series of books because they offer one or more hands-on science experiments kids can do to follow up on the topic. Of course, when the topic is live birds, there is going to be less of this. Still, something with a magnetic compass might have been appropriate, or a way to become part of the annual backyard bird count in America.
on May 29, 2014
My granddaughter loves this book and it is simple yet accurate in its information. I would recommend it to anyone trying to instill a love of nature!
on January 7, 2015
Beautiful illustrations and fascinating information.
on February 9, 2015
Great teaching tool for elementary school students.
on March 21, 2003
This is a good book because the birds are pretty. I liked the arctic terns in the book.
on January 27, 2009
I ordered several items BUT this one I was unhappy with. All my items qualified for free shipping...this book came from another seller (Harold Payton, Elkhart, IN) and they charged me $3.99 to ship it...I wanted to return it but they will NOT refund the shipping charge...oh well, live and learn....kr
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse