5.0 out of 5 stars *Screws her jaw shut*
Okay, how to start...but, one problem: once I start, I won't be able to end. The legend of the Firebringer. The most ingenious, original, beautiful piece of writing I have ever, ever come across. It is a masterpiece. If ever you have read any books based on unicorns: throw those aside. Cast all other visions aside. Read, and be entranced. It is just...
Published on February 4, 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Uneven writing
The plot's not bad. Most of the writing is adequate, but with occasional lapses. It's full of repeated single word sentences "Hist.", "List.", and sometimes "Hie.", clumsy archaisms, and plain bad writing. For instance, on pages 32 (of the ominbus volume) we find

"His vitals turned."

and on the next page,

"Tek feinted clumsily twice,...
Published on August 18, 2004 by Bruce M. Miller

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream-like, August 27, 1999
By A Customer
I read this book years ago, and i have been trying to find it and the other parts of the series, but have been unable to. I finished this book and felt like i had been woken from a dream. I loved how the unicorns are not frail and wimpy, but actually are fighters. Over all this book was wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your ordinary unicorn story!, July 30, 2002
Christina Cole (Bend, Or United States) - See all my reviews
This is undoubtedly the best fantasy book ever written about unicorns. The story begins with a fiery young unicorn prince, Jan, who more than anything, wants to prove himself to his father, Korr. Although Jan's curiosity and love of pranks and tricks gets him into trouble, a valiant fight to protect his people from a vengeful griffon helps encourage his father's decision to let him go with the other soon-to-be warriors on their pilgrimage across the Great Plain. The journey shows Jan that there is far more to the world than just that within his people's ring. He begins to question his destiny and what he is to become. Little does he know what future lays before him, how the wyverns who took over his people's lands and the prophecy of the Firebringer will affect his life and of all unicorns.Meredith Ann Pierce brings a rich history, language and culture not only to the unicorns, but to all the mythical creatures in her book. Her writing style, great imagination and wide diversity of incredibly detailed characters makes her unicorn's world so believeable, it is difficult to read other author's books about them. This book has a powerful message about following your heart, personal triumph, responsibility, selflessness, standing up for what you believe in and much more. Once you pick up this book, you'll not want to put it down. I highly recommend obtaining a copy of Birth of The Firebringer as well as the other two books in this captivating trilogy. Since, once you get started, you'll not want to stop until you've read this series in its entirety. It should never have been taken out of print. This is one story that would make a great animated motion picture. Give this book a chance. You will not be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent even for non-fantasy lovers, December 9, 2005
I first read this book in junior high. I generally do not like fantasy (often the characters or settings are so far-fetched I find it hard to relate to them). I read this book because it had unicorns in it--I'm a horse lover, but unicorns were close enough. I ended up LOVING this story about Aljan and his battles to regain the unicorns' homeland, the Hallow Hills. None of the characters in this book are human, but many of them have personalities, feelings, and traditions that mimic human behavior. This probably would make it boring for avid fantasy buffs, but it makes it much easier to follow if you are not a usual fan of fantasy writing. I now teach 7th grade and use this book as an introduction into our fantasy unit. I've found it appeals to almost all the students in the class, boys and girls, fantasy lovers and those who've never read fantasy. There's usually a waiting list in our library for the second book after we read this one in class!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Unicorn Book ever, September 26, 2000
How can I describe this book? It's a coming of age tale about the prince to be and his father, who might just be a prophisised warrior. It's a tale of Jan and his friend Dagg, facing hardships, and the warrior mare Tek. It's a story about finding your own way, becoming your own person and starting to learn about the world and the way it works. All of these and morewould accurately describe the Firebringer Trilogy, so sadly out of print. I urge you to look for it. You won't be disappointed.
Skywater, vice-president of the Firebringer Fan Club.

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic tale that brings unicorns to life!, September 27, 2001
If you have ever wanted to read a novel where unicorns lived and talked and had there own society and way of life, this is it! Interesting story of how a young and fool-hardy unicorn goes through his pilgrimage to become a warrior and a saviour to his people. Filled with action and mysterious villains, the horrible wyverns, it is a fantastical tale told in flowing old-style language at sometimes, that will captivate and delight all fantasy and sci-fi readers. It even has the lightest touch of a classical fairy tale...

5.0 out of 5 stars Unicorn Wonders, July 2, 2003
By A Customer
I found this book when I was twelve in my public library, and saw it was about unicorns and checked it out that second. As I read it, I got more and more involved. Aljan and his friends make wonderful characters we can almost all relate to. They are so human-like with great emotion that after a while you forget you are reading about unicorns. This book is a pure wonder for anyone anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars I WAS UNABLE TO PUT IT DOWN., June 24, 1999
By A Customer
I READ "DARK MOON" FIRST AND UNDERSTOOD PARTS BUT THEN ONCE I READ "BIRTH OF THE FIREBRINGER" I UNDERSTOOD EVERY LITTLE DETAIL. NOW I'M ON " THE SON OF SUMMER STARS" AND WISH THERE WAS A FOURTH BOOK. I LOVE HOW SHE GOES INTO DEEP DETAIL AND EXPLAINS EVERYTHING LIKE EACH UNICORNS COLOR AND SHAPE. I'M YOUNGER THAN MOST OF HER READERS BUT I UNDERSTOOD IT VERY WELL.

5.0 out of 5 stars adored by all my friends, June 11, 1999
By A Customer
I was hanging around my school libary when Birth of the Firebringer caught my eye.I checked it out and read it. It was the best!!!! I recomended it to my whole fourth grade class and they loved it . I have also read and recomended the other ones to and again my calss loved it.Later, I went on the internet and looked it up . Each of the books has a five star .Iam so thrilled.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm hooked!, April 6, 2001
"tdickkut" (Canton, KS United States) - See all my reviews
I love this trilogy! I'm not really a fantasy lover, but I went out on a limb for this one and was rewarded in many ways! Each book in this trilogy is supurbly crafted into a separate yet connected piece; Birth of the Firebringer is my hands-down favorite, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, October 8, 1999
By A Customer
The story of Aljan, Dagg, and Tek's adventure kept me captivated. I find myself reading the book over and over again. I have been trying to find the other two books but without success. I'm still trying to find out what happens between the wyverns and the unicorns. An excellent book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Birth of the Firebringer (Firebringer Trilogy)
$5.99