Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

We tried out the Bissell Multi-Cyclonic in the search for the "perfect vacuum" to deal with two messy pets, hard surface, carpet and stairs, and not cost a bundle. This is a good contender with some issues.

1. Removable canister. I prefer uprights--easier than dragging a heavy canister behind you. But uprights have to use an extension hose to go up stairs, as you can't easily carry the unit up with you. This has been the biggest problem with my previous upright, an Oreck. Oreck solves the problem by selling you a canister to go with the upright. Bissell has you remove a canister from the frame. You can then attach any of the tools and carry the central canister around with you. This is a clever design.

2. Multi-surface: There are seven height adjustments, so you can adjust to very low (for hard floors) to higher for pile carpet. However, you have to adjust this as you go, the unit does not automatically adapt to the surface you are on. (some vacuums, notably the Dyson, will adapt to floor as you transition from hard surface to carpet.)

You can also turn off the beaters for use on your hard floors.

3. Bagless: This means the suction stays strong--but the canister also fills up rather quickly. It seems to have superior pickup ability to the Oreck; after a pass with the Oreck, the Bissell still found plenty of dust and cat hair to pick up. But I found I had to empty the unit frequently. This isn't hard to do but it does interrupt you. If you don't empty it frequently, you run the risk of taxing the motor.

4. Febreze(tm) Filter. If you like the scent of Febreze, you'll like it. You have to replace this filter and it's NOT washable, and it's about ten or eleven bucks, so if you vacuum a lot and like this, it's an added expense. Yes, you won't be buying vacuum bags, no, you still will be buying a disposable item for the vacuum--the filter.

5. Hose: it's about eight feet long. I find that too short for convenience. If you are reaching behind a chair or sofa, you can run out of hose. This is my usual complaint with uprights. The hose is bulky to store on the unit and adds weight, so often it is shorter than optimum, in my opinion.

6. Full set of multi-use tools - including Pet TurboEraser Tool which is a hand tool version of a roller-beater to put on the end of the hose. This works well on upholstery to sweep up hairs. Cat and dog hairs (especially those short white hairs that Dalamations shed) stick into the fabric of upholstery and this helps dislodge them. The tools include a crevice tool, a brush and the TurboEraser.

7. Weight: This isn't so light--slightly under 18 pounds.

8. Cord length: 30 feet. Excellent. This is a decent length and much more suitable than a 20 ft cord, which may not take you across a large room. This is not a retractable cord--it winds on the side.

Summary: for the price, excellent suction, somewhat short hose, removable canister to handle stairs. Fills up quickly, so requires frequent emptying. Febreze replacement filters are not inexpensive and the unit is somewhat heavy. However, it's effective at picking up pet hair and it's cyclonic, so the suction is maintained as you fill the waste canister.
55 comments|352 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2014
We have had this vacuum just 2 weeks and LOVE it! We have 3 dogs, a Corgi that sheds unmercifully, a border collie cross and a Bernese, both of which have lots of long hair; And a kitten! With my old Hoover and Dyson, I would sometimes have to vacuum twice a day, and/or use the hand tools to get hair off the floor. When we got this Bissell, I vacuumed using our old vacuum and made sure there were no hairs visible to the naked eye. Then, I vacuumed with the Bissell ~ WOW! I was amazed at what the old vacuum left behind and the Bissell picked up. I had to empty the dust bin before finishing the first room, that's how much dirt, dust and hair was still on the floor. I love that the brush can be shut off, that the canister can be removed and used as a canister vacuum, makes cleaning in hard to reach areas so much easier ~ even made vacuuming the car a lot easier. After using the Bissell, our carpets actually look clean, not just vacuumed; they seem to have a refreshed look to them. My only complaint is the design of the hose, it can be difficult to get off and then attach the attachments and it's not as long as I had hoped. But, overall, we're happy with the vacuum.
on January 21, 2014
This vacuum is great, the settings for high floors is for a really high floor, like shag carpeting. That's nice as most vaccums have high settings that aren't very high. We had a Dyson bagless and it seemed to suck up just a little bit more dirt, but not as much pet hair. However, the vacuum is still great. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because the way the hose is designed to fit into the container is absolutely terrible. I have never seen a design so bad and flawed. The hose doesn't even stay attached to the container so it is almost ALWAYS flopping around and being annoying, and there is a bend in the hose that makes the hose stick straight out backwards about 7 inches which is also super annoying.
on January 14, 2014
well i had waited and waited until the right day for this lightning deal
i have had a hoover windtunnel bag upright and have been wanting to
upgrade and get something newer than 12 years old.
what a great vacuum this is..i had just vacuumed yesterday with the old machine
and today with this one...amazing how much was missed with that old machine
i highly recommend this vacuum!
on February 14, 2014
Upon receiving this vacuum, I opened up the box and assembled it in no time. The assembly was very easy. I immediately started with the upstairs of my home and vacuumed the entire house. This is a fantastic vacuum! I'm coming from a Dyson and this is such a superior vacuum compared to the Dyson.

Here are what I consider to be the positives of this vacuum: The weight. Not too heavy at all, even going up and down stairs. The suction. Once you've vacuumed over your rug or hardwood floors, you can really feel a difference! The carpet height adjustments. This is a fantastic feature. If you've got shorter pile carpet or rugs around your home, you can adjust the vacuum to handle that and vice versa. And the detachable component is great, too, if you've got a multi-level home.

Here are what I consider to be the negatives of this vacuum: The holder for the furniture attachment on the front right below the handle. It's a great location, but it needs to be more "snapped" in. And the container for the debris it pulls from your floors. It's a bit on the small side, which means more frequent trips to the trash can to empty it.

Overall, this is a fantastic vacuum cleaner! I would recommend this to anyone! The pros, for me, definitely outweigh the cons when it comes to this machine. Bissell has earned a customer for life! Thank you.
on February 12, 2014
Another item I noticed in the deals of the day. Didn't need to replace the old vacuum but because we have a Bissell steam carpet cleaner that works great I couldn't pass it up. Amazing how much better it is than our older Dyson. Our four cat household has met its match.
on May 20, 2014
At a good pricepoint this is a good unit. The Good: it's main feature the liftout can vac. That's nice for the stairs. Has a great feature of separate switches for the power and roller AND roller won't turn on unless the back is lowered. Seems like a small thing but it's ingenious because if you have to move something or for other reason stand it up, the roller doesn't sit and spin. The Febreeze air filter used maybe 20 times and stills smells nice. The power and effectiveness are pretty good. It puts more in the can than our other vac did. It has washable prefilter and exhaust hepa filter. Longer than average cord (very nice feature). The only bad I see is the weight- this thing is HEAVY. Alos our other unit has a self-retracting spring loaded cord which is a great feature. Also this cord is fairly stiff and made of a material that will burn you if you slide it too fast in your fingers when rolling it up. The handheld roller brush has jammed up after one or two uses, but opens up so you can unjam it. Handheld rollers are kinda worthless on most vacs I've owned, this may be slightly better but still not as useful as one would hope.
on September 1, 2015
great vacuum. a little on the heavy side. i hate having to buy filters for it, but it really does get the job done. we have a German shepherd and her hair gets everywhere and this vacuum sucks it all up!!!! the only thing i have to say that hinders a 5 star rating is the little head on top by the handle of the vacuum doesn't rotate on carpet, it feels very cheep and doesn't work the way it should.
on March 24, 2014
That's all you really need to know. Don't expect this to be as light as other bagless uprights like Dysons and Sharks. It probably weighs twice what my Shark weighs. Does the job, though, although the attachments are a bit strange. The brush is designed to work both on hard and upholstered surfaces, therefore it doesn't really do a great job on either. The suction-powered rotary brush works (it's for pet hair on furniature), but like the Dysons, it doesn't have much go power and the least resistance will stop the rotation.

It does a great job on carpet, though, and has the most versatile height adjustment I've seen on a vac, so if you have both high and low rugs and have had problems with other vacs, this might do the job for you.

I have no idea about the durability, as I've only had it a month and it doesn't get used that often.
on January 19, 2014
i already had this vacuum just not the pet style. during the polar vortex someone spilled coffee grounds in the back 3 season room. i left it for a day or so for it to dry out so i could vacuum it up. bad, bad bad. the vacuum is unbelievably choked with coffee grounds. i don't know why or how i thought frozen coffee grounds would be dry enough to pick up with a regular vac, should have used the shop vac. but since i do like the vacuum a lot i just bought the exact same thing but newer pet model. i like the new double cyclone, that is where i would get a dust back up before in the old one. the lift off part does work fine but i think it is a tad heavy. i have been using it cause the last one kept tipping over from not being able to remove the canister so that problem is also eliminated by removing it and then vac instead of pulling off the hose and dragging it up and down the steps.