4.0 out of 5 stars Very good products, BUT
Published 15 months ago by ghost116

1.0 out of 5 stars You'll be sorry
I didn't buy this software thru Amazon, I bought it directly thru BitDefender using a discount code I received, and based upon high ratings it received on CNET. I purchased the Anti-Virus 2013 edition with 3 computer licenses.

Published 18 months ago by T. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars You'll be sorry, June 4, 2013
This review is from: Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 (3PC/1YR) [Download] (Software Download)

The software itself seems relatively compentent at detecting or preventing malware, but I experienced so many problems that I ended up uninstalling and purchasing a different AV utility.

1. The non-intuitive interface didn't cause me too much grief, but I installed it on my wife's computer and she really didn't like having to dig down thru layers to just start a scan, or see the results of an auto-scan.

2. Performance on the computer seemed to be impacted, especially slowing down significantly interactive web sites that used flash, silverlight, java, etc.

3. The software continually thru false positives on windows registry files during auto-scans

4. The software repeatedly popped up spamware ads offering me additional fee add ons (some sort of "premium tuneup"). I can understand this for freeware/trialware software, but this was for an already paid subscription less than 100 days into a full years subscription. The unacceptable kicker was that these popups behaved very much like fake anti-virus malware (it was in a window without a close button, there was no icon for it on the task bar to minimize or close it, it didn't show up as a process to be killed, etc)

5. The final straw was when I contacted support about why I was being hit up, as a paying customer, with these additional fee add ons. It took over two weeks to be emailed back a response in which I was told that the ads could not be disabled or deactivated, but "However, you can try to disable them by following the instructions listed below" (literal copy/paste from their response) and provided instructions for tweaking the registry to fool the software so that it couldn't find the content for the popup ads.

6. When I replied that this was not an acceptable solution, that I found their business practices unscrupulous, and that I wanted to cancel my subscription and request a refund for time remaining, they bluntly said in effect 'sorry you are past 30 days, no refunds for you'.

7. I decided to just eat the cost instead of fighting about it, and went to cancel my subscription and make sure that auto-renewal was disabled. But guess what, you can't do that on the site. The only link for canceling your auto-renewal opens an email to support again. So I uninstalled from both computers, purchased and installed another product, and now have to monitor my credit card bill as I fully expect this company to charge me again even though their last email promised that they wouldn't. There's just too much sleazy business morality on display here for me to expect them to actually follow thru not to continue charging me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slows the computer; unethical company, May 3, 2013
Murrax (Cambridge, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I was dissatisfied with my one-year's subscription to Bit Defender for the following reasons:
Its interface is non-intuitive for me, a moderately competent computer user. Some obvious and oft-used functions are hidden in the Options and Advanced files and elsewhere. A cursory search does not find them, evoking an appeal via the email help line, with a reply in a few days.
The replies from the help line are terse, sometimes with elaborate steps. I found some of the steps altogether unfamiliar and could not carry them out.
At one point during the year, my computer slowed considerably. Believing it to be a virus, I drew upon Bit Defender's resources (scans, etc.) to purge the virus or quarantine it. Not successful, and for the rest of the year I worked with a slower computer.
I decided not to renew, did not reply to appeals for renewal from Avangate (the company offering Bit Defender), and chose another security program. As soon as I switched to the other security program my computer resumed its fast speed again, loading programs quickly.
The slowing problem is apparently known to Bit Defender, because it has a portion of its website devoted to what to do if your computer slows down while using the program!
Meanwhile, without my authorization, Avangate company renewed my subscription and charged me for another year's subscription. There is nothing in the detailed outline of the contract as given on its website saying this would happen. Avangate had sent the software by email to an email address that I had terminated three months earlier, and then responded to my dispute of the new charge by saying "...this is a virtual item, delivered online. Therefore, the customer cannot `return' the item, and he cannot dispute the receipt..." From Avangate (via my credit card company) there was additional information saying that "...your online order placed...on December 19, 2011...has been successfully completed..." I had not placed that online order.
A trivial extra, but annoying when discovered: Bit Defender is provided by a company in the Netherlands. This is not revealed as it cites its subscription price. A small foreign exchange fee (2 or three dollars) linked to its purchase appeared on my credit card the following month.
Given the slow and clumsy performance of Bit Defender and unethical merchant practices of its company, I recommend avoiding this product from the start.

1.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't rate it zero..., May 9, 2013
This software didn't work. I got a very nasty virus about 24 hours after I installed the software. (It's a ransomware virus from the Dept. of Justice.) After searching the web for solutions, I contacted Bitdefender's customer support (this was very early last Sunday morning). They acted like they never heard of this virus, even though there are tons of posts in forums on the web (albeit an earlier incarnation of the virus). He tried to tell me it was my fault, because I must have not uninstalled all files of a different antivirus program, which left a "hole." Then he told me it was my fault for relying on Windows firewall - he said I should have bought the Bitdefender firewall program. He did say he understood it was a very serious problem (I couldn't use my computer, or even boot in Safe Mode - this thing loads up very early in the boot sequence.) He said they would get back to me as soon as possible, but no later than 48 hours. That was Sunday AM - it's now Thursday and no response. If I could get a refund from them on this, I would. BTW, I found an answer on one of the forums. I went to the Kaspersky site with a clean computer, and downloaded a boot disk from them. It cleaned the PC.

UPDATE: After letting Amazon know about this problem, they promptly refunded my money, no questions asked. I had already removed the program and replaced it with one from my Internet provider.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy, September 19, 2013
R. Lee "Richard" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this product again after seeing it ranked highly on AV-TEST and independent IT security institute. They must have been sleeping when running the tests because BitDefender again has proven to be the most unreliable antivirus software I have used.

This is the second time my computer has got infected with a virus while running BitDefender with the default out of the box settings. Computer crashes, runs slowly, la de da. I bought G-Data because I was fed up and surprise surprise G-Data found several infected files. I did do a clean install on another hard disk however.

I have used many different antivirus software in the past which include: Norton, Zone Alarm, McAfee, Bullguard, G-Data and BitDefender. Both times I have used BitDefender I have got viruses. This is possibly the worst antivirus software on the market and it befuddles me on how it is ranked so highly on so many websites.

The other negative things about this product is that there are popups adverts sent to you pc by bitdefender to purchase their new product. These increase in frequency over time and despite requesting that they be stopped after calling bitdefender, they kept coming (there is no way to turn these off in the settings). For an antivirus company this is appalling. They operate like common thugs bullying you to buy their product.

I rarely have the energy to write a review. The product would have to be really or really bad and I recommend on so many levels not to buy this product. It is really bad!

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE, March 7, 2013
The amount of hours I have spent, doing what customer service has said to do, and trying on my own, to fix the errors in this product since it is malfunctioning and has been for months, is actually unbelievable - like, mind-boggling. They should pay Me.
And it's still not fixed, so I have finally insisted upon a refund, only to be met with, well, let's reboot first - at which point I finally said - are you KIDDING? and started listing the COUNTLESS reboots over the past months, "repairs" run, uninstalls and reinstalls, index and help search and doing exactly what I was told there (even though my specific problem wasn't listed, but close), Uninstall of program after program of my own that they were sure was interfering and causing the problem (nope, wasn't the problem), and still, new errors continued to crop up as fixes were attempted to be applied, until now, finally, BD is STILL not scanning, as it wasn't, my computer is STILL showing that NO Antivirus Software is Found, and Now, my Bitdefender has continued to tell me that Warning, it is Inactive (I have 265 Days left thank you, that I paid for), and I must register my Product, only since it's already registered, it then won't let me re-register it. I'm not even going to get into the rest as honestly, i am sick of talking about it and can't believe it went on this long. And continue to wait for my refund, which if i don't receive, I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau about. As I have informed the "Tech Support" who seems to have a bit of a communication barrier depending on who you get, as they are located in Russia or something, no supervisors are ever available, the phone number to "that part of customer service" is unavailable to us, and in general as reviews note, the product takes you through quite a maze to deter you from calling and instead on using their online support.
seriously - ridiculous.

2.0 out of 5 stars I would not recommend, April 1, 2013
Takes a lot of resources and slows down web browsing.
Will not renew subscription.

Will be un-installing and will look for another anti virus solution.

1.0 out of 5 stars This product lets in viruses!, September 9, 2013
I bought Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 and was very conscientious about getting the latest updates. Nevertheless, my computer was 'highjacked' by a virus and credit card information was copied and charges were made to my credit card. Fortunately the credit card company (who obviously has better protection than Bitdefender), cancelled my credit card after the third unauthorized purchase. I had to bring my computer into a computer shop to get the virus removed and was told to cancel all of my credit cards and to change all of my passwords. When I tried to contact Bitdefender I noticed they have no toll free number. When I attempted to contact via internet chat, they said their site was down. The tech at the computer shop said the best antivirus protector is one that protects both Windows and Mac computers. He installed a new one on my computer and now I can breath easier.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slows your computer, September 5, 2013
Worked for about a month, then computer slow down started. Ended today in strange disfunctionality of web browsing and start up. Very long computer start up time, freeze intermissions during power point presentation (PC would just hang for 15 to 30 seconds every now and then, then resume), web browsing was strange: Wouldn't load sites but allowed searches when typed directly into the address bar of the browser. Final straw: Network printing was no longer possible.
Uninstalling bitdefender free was a nightmare. Took me a good 5 hours. Bitdefender makes specific uninstall software available. Problem is, you need to find and download the specific one for the free edition (which is somewhat hidden on their site). The other removal tools for the paid editions will NOT work.
Bottom line: I went back to the trusted old AVIRA free antivirus. Has never slowed things down. Only annoying thing about AVIRA is one advertisment pop up per day in the free edition. However, easy enough to click away and my PC's work again.

1.0 out of 5 stars It Stinks, August 29, 2013
Cincinnati Kid (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This software has caused me nothing but problems. I've installed it twice at different times, on Windows 8 machines, with the same bad results. Everything is fine for a short time, then it starts causing problems, including instability. With Bitdefender installed, my computer recently lost its DSL internet connection. Nothing I tried would bring it back. I uninstalled Bidefender because I didn't have this problem before it was installed, and that caused a host of other problems. Like, I had to restore my registry to a time earlier than the Bitdefender installation because uninstalling it caused PC instability/error messages/problems. This software does not uninstall well, and in my experience, is full of bugs and issues. At least for me. Interestingly, I reinstalled Webroot, which I had been running, and all is well including my internet connection. I've never had any problems with Webroot. After all the headaches I've had with Bitdefender, however, I have to say - never again. I've had it with this Bitdefender and absolutely would not recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good products, BUT, September 16, 2013
This is one of the best Anti Virus anything I have used, HOWEVER, as many have done in the past, this year they slipped a little. I find MANY more "glitches and bugs" Example, for over a week, it would start normally then kick off and struggle ( pulling down the whole machine I might add to a crawl) until it got its update or something in the background. It was obviously a previous update screw up that caused this as now, all it well again! I assume a new update solved the problem. BUT, I am tired of calling these places and being told to uninstall and reinstall! Don't they realize the time that crap takes! not to mention we are paying them for daily updates to keep exactly this from happening! Bottom-line is, for the money its the best out there and when you figure MacAfee is worthless ( I've gotten viruses in past with it running..... Norton takes control of your system to the point you loose 20% minimum in speed ( even tho they say that's been fixed) Karpensky (sp) is always double to triple this cost, and trend Micro ( the leader 3 years ago , has decided not to keep up with the competition and now is questionable at best!