5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for me
Published on November 29, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not What it Used to Be
I've had Bitdefender Total Security for over 3 years and have enjoyed it. This 2012 version is a total piece of crap though.

Two specific issues are the frequent "Reboot Required" security updates and the lack of scheduled scanning.

Published on December 5, 2011 by Jesse K. Clark

1.0 out of 5 stars Not What it Used to Be, December 5, 2011
This review is from: Bitdefender Total Security 2012 Value M2 3Pc/2 Years [Old Version] (CD-ROM)

1. No Scheduled Scanning - This is the kicker. Bitdefender boasts about it's new Auto Pilot feature where you can turn it on and never worry about it. Their new Auto Scan feature takes care of everything. The problem is that the program keeps track of when you last completed a "Full System Scan" and after a week, starts harrassing you. The program starts alerting you that things need your attention and wants you to start a full system scan. After about 2 weeks the program calls it a "critical" issue and turns red. Keep in mind this is with Auto Pilot ON and Auto Scan ON. You still have to manually begin full system scans once a week to resolve the issues. After 3 weeks of e-mailing tech support, they said they were working on the issue but were not sure when, if ever, it would be resolved.

2. "Reboot Required" - When you open the program, you get updates about recent events. Every 15 minutes Bitdefender updated itself and posted the update as recent event. Within a week, I had over 99 messages and the majority were "Reboot Required" which I ment that I would need to reboot my computer for the update to work. I'm not going to reboot my computer every 15 min for Bitdefender to get it's act together. When I contacted technical support, their suggestion was to reboot the computer and see if that fixed the problem. When I told them it didn't they asked for screenshots of the updates and I sent them. Three weeks later they replied and said they misplaced my e-mail and if I was still having a problem I would need to restart the process. Two months later I was still receiving these "reboot required" updates. This is a new feature with the 2012 version and was never an issue with previous versions.

Furthermore, upon installing Bitdefender Total Secruity 2012, my computer began to have a whole host of issues. I have windows vista 32bit and have all the most recent service packs and updates. Windows explorer began locking up randomly. No problems while I had Bitdefender Total Security 2011. I couldn't figure anything out from the windows log files (I'm no IT guy). I figured it could be anything. I haven't had ANY lockups since I uninstalled the program though. No problems before, no problems after -- that's enough for me to conclude that this Bitdefender was doing something wrong.

I eventually went onto the forum and asked for my money back so I could buy something different. They refunded me the full purchase price (I originally bought from the website directly) and I bought Norton 360 that day. I haven't had a single lockup yet. Plus, Norton is finding viruses in files that I've had on my computer for years that Bitdefender never found.

In other words, Bitdefender has made good products in the past but this year they botched the job. Norton has made a good product this year so I'd suggest going with Norton 360 this year.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Program with Major Issues, January 2, 2012
LA (United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have a powerful Windows 7 64 bit system and switched from Trend Micro to Bitdefender. The first problem I had was with installation. The installation totally screwed up my PC. I had to call customer service and download removal tools and installation program from their website. I wasted hours just on the installation.

Once I got it up and working, I was pleased with the performance. Until it came time for the regularly scheduled Windows 7 backup. It failed. This has never happened before. I had to manually back up my drives. I also wasn't able to do a System Image either, and short of buying a new software program I'm not sure how to handle this.

The Windows 7 backup failure is apparently a known issue at Bitdefender--and has been for months. There is still no fix for it. Yes, there's a workaround, but backups are pretty important around here. I may look for another anti-virus software program.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Software & Support Experience I've had in YEARS!, June 17, 2012
I'm not kidding. I'd been running the previous version for the past two years. Bought 2012 and installed without errors (uninstalled prevoius version, etc.). (I'm running VIsta 64-bit)

I'll simply say that I went through hours of aggravation (safe mode, restore, D/L their uninstall tool, reinstall, etc., etc....). Same problem, once installed, the computer simply froze up - "bricked". Tried the forums. PM'd the admin with the details, logs. He replies 'can't help you by PM, post on the forum". I posted on the forum, NO RESPONSE. I finally tracked down the tech support # and called. Nice person - verified that the system meets all requirements, right version, etc...asked me to download their diagnostic software and run a report and email it back. I did so within minutes. A week later, I finally heard back; "We need you to run this other report and email it to us". Did it within a few minutes. Their server rejected the email. I post it on a 3rd party file hosting site and email them the link. Never a word from them. It's been several weeks now, and I've moved on to Webroot Complete and just love it.

Bottom line: RUN, DON'T WALK, AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT. It might work for you, or it might 'brick' your computer. The support is THE WORST SOFTWARE EXPERIENCE I'VE HAD IN YEARS. And I am a retired web designer & host, at least moderately resourceful at resolving issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bitdefender Total Security 2012, January 15, 2012
I bought this Internet Security program because of the rating on the internet. I have had it about 3 months. No problems with installation. I have been having problem with it lately. I contacted Bit Defenders support who have been very helpful but could not solve my problem. I finally solve the problem by installing the updates and running the repair under their program. I have no complaints on the tech service. They respond in a timely manner and very diligent in trying to correct the problem. The program is very easy to operate as stated but makes changes on its on. The " on-access scanning" becomes disabled and it will not let you enable it. I seem to have solved the problem by updating and re-installing the program. I am hoping with updates and re-installing the program that i will not have the problem again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for me, November 29, 2011
I bought this because my old virus software expired. I went out searching on every website for reviews on the best virus software for 2012. I wanted something that could give me FULL security but not bog down my pc. Bit defender does this. It runs quietly in the background and I have had no problems with it. I really like the file shredder feature, which permanently deletes a file so you don't have all that ghost residue which eventually slows down your computer. It has a good number of features all of which are customizable and an app you can install in you facebook and twitter (I don't use) which checks posted links and other things to make sure they are safe. I have not done any protection test (who wants to willingly expose their computer to viruses?), but so far my computer seems to be running fast and fine. I am running window 7 64 bit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bit Defender review, December 25, 2011
I researched antivirus programs completely before deciding on purchasing it. I looked at the wide range of programs, and how well it fared when tested by each of the independent test sites. While it performed quite well, I had nothing but problems-first with installation, then with the customer service department. In fact, the agent repeatedly addressed me by another name in our conversation. Finally, the simple question I had regarding installation was never answered-not even remotely.
After looking so long and hard, and paying what I paid, I was pretty upset. Bit Defender may be fine, as a program. But my experiences were a nightmare.While I understand that that the qualities of the program may have nothing to do with customer service or installation-any product must be weighed in light of all aspects which make up the product.
I decided on Kaspersky as a program, which also did well in reviews, and I had NO difficulty installing it.I used it a few years ago, and the only reason I held back this time was price-and I found it at a price which was competitive.
In short-I would stay away from Bit Defender and stay with Kaspersky.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mr., January 30, 2012
Very user unfriendly. After finally getting it loaded (installed), it appears to have been the reason the system crashed since after removing it my system has returned to "normal". I have since installed a competitive product which is working just fine. Would not recommended especially for someone who doesn't want to spend a great deal of time installing and/or fixing your system after installation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shaky Start...Great Middle...Disappointing Ending :(, May 9, 2012
UPDATE August 28, 2012:

Originally I had written a glowing review (see below if interested)...however...since that time, my opinion with respect to this product has changed significantly, and thought it my duty to edit the review accordingly.

First, let me say that the support staff of this company are FABULOUS! These folks will go far above and beyond the call of duty to try to make the customer happy.

Unfortunately, this poor division of the company are fighting a battle they can never win. The problem, in my estimation, are the developers, who should be fired en mass yesterday.

Ever since I installed this product, and attempted to install BDTS 2013 on my laptop (apparently BD is allowing BDTS 2012 customers a free upgrade to 2013), there has been nothing but trouble, issues, crashes, and application errors out the friggin' wazzoo...I certainly put the support staff through plenty of agida. BDTS 2013 was, unimaginably, even worse, even though "many issues" discovered with the 2012 version were allegedly addressed. Well...they may have been addressed, but they certainly were not fixed! My God...(whatever that is)...

I never saw anything like it in my life.

Anyways...a word to the wise...stay clear of this product until or if this company can ever get its act together.

Two stars only because of the great support staff - unfortunately, if you purchase this product, you WILL get to know them on a first-name basis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK people...first off...I LOVE the product and all of its features. The only thing Bitdefender Total Security (BD TS) doesn't do is wash your clothes and give you sex. It's a joke...for those of our "PC" friends (and I'm not refering to "Personal Computing") who need to lighten up a little bit.

I believe the reason there are some not-so-glowing reviews here is due most likely to two primary reasons:

1) ALL PCs will be uniquely different. Common sense, right? Probability states that you won't have the same configurations, applications, settings, etc that I, or others may have, so every time one installs some new application onto their PC, it may "behave" differently. This is to be expected.

2) Symantec Antivirus (SAV). This friggin' security application makes one thing - and only one thing in my experience - secure: it's removal from your machine. If you had or have this application prior to installing BD TS, you must do what I tell you below.

To point number (1) above...this really should need no further discussion after the realization of such a basic concept. There could be conflicts with some applications that even Awake is not aware. Your settings might be interfering with the install. Old registry keys could be creating problems. The bottom line is that there are hundreds of potential conflicts that could cause issues with ANY application one attempts to install on their PC at any given point in time. So...when you read reviews about how one software product or another just doesn't seem to work on some small percentage of computers, this is most likely the reason why.

Point number (2) above requires a bit more discussion, and is critical to those of you who have had SAV at one time. For those of you who never had this experience, continue reading...this discussion will most likely pertain to whatever current or former internet security suite you had/have, with respect to the seemless installation and operation of BD TS. YOU MUST TRIPLY INSURE THAT EVERY LAST SAV COMPONENT IS REMOVED FROM YOUR MACHINE BEFORE you attempt to install BD TS. It's that simple. Otherwise, you will be uninstalling and reinstalling BD TS until the cows come home in your attempt to get it to operate properly.

Without going into a verbose discussion of my own experience, suffice it to say that you can not trust removal of this quite tenacious program from your machine by simply using the add/remove programs function in control panel. Start there, but then make sure you reboot. Then, go back and check - make sure the thing has actually been removed. If it miraculously re-appears, repeat the process, REBOOTING EVERY time. Then, once you're convinced the application is gone, go into <C:\Program files> and <C:\documents and settings\*> and delete every Symantec and Live Update folder you can find within those directories and subdirectories contained therein (be sure you have "view hidden files and folders" selected under <Control Panel> <folder options>). Also take this time to REMOVE ALL OTHER anti-malware or other security application(s) you may have or have had running as well (like Spybot, Malwarebytes, etc). Then as a final step, CLEAN THE REGISTRY and reboot. Be careful in cleaning the registry, as this could cause serious problems with the operation of Windows. Make sure you carefully examine each registry entry deemed erroneous, and if you are unsure, leave it alone. What you CAN do, however, is safely delete any registry key associated with "Symantec" (as well as any other former security software application). Once that's done, reboot, and then defragment your hard disk. When finished defragmenting, reboot, then go back into add/remove programs to insure SAV (and any others) is (are) removed, and you are now ready to install BD TS.

If Symantec does not apply to your specific situation, just substitute "your security software" for "Symantec" or "SAV" above. Just be sure that every last security solution associated file and folder has been removed.

Also - make sure your system meets the "recommended" minimum requirements for optimal performance.

If, after following this anal-retentive, obsessive-compulsive install routine, you are still experiencing problems, go to <control panel> <security center> <antivirus> and make sure Bitdefender is the ONLY antivirus program being detected by Windows. If it claims there are more than one antivirus programs running, you need to go back and do some additonal checking and deleting.

OK...I think that should cover most, if not all issues with the installation and operation of this fabulous security suite.

Awake claims that its firewall "may not be" compatible with Windows firewall - in my experience thus far, there is no problem with both being enabled, although it is not recommended.

Hope this helps those either having trouble, or wondering whether to purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars bad experience all around, November 25, 2012
Had purchased BitDefender 2009 because my desktop computer runs Windows XP 64 bit and Norton & McAffee do not support it.

Seemed OK for a while, but several bad experiences over the year I had it. First, they forgot to check one of their updates with XP64, so as soon as it installed (automatically), it essentially decided my operating system was a virus and sent intruder notices about every 10 seconds until I shut the computer down. Sent a help request to tech support via my laptop, got an answer later that day that essentially said 'never mind,' by which point they had corrected the update. Had a major virus attack on my laptop - BitDefender let the thing through. Got that straighted out, then a major attack on my desktop. Was down for 3 days before I got that one straight. Then took a free update to BitDefender 2010, which did not run properly with XP64. At that point I gave up and switched to Vipre, which has worked well for me for 2 1/2 years.

So I'm reading reviews that say 'BD 2012 is not what it used to be.' Could it possibly be worse?

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT USE THIS!, November 18, 2012
I purchased a new laptop in late September and installed Bitdefender, based on its many positive reviews.

Well, those positive reviews must be originating from Bitdefender marketing. This is without a doubt the WORST software I have ever encountered. I could not use my new computer for more than a few minutes at a time before it would crash, usually with some lame notification that Bitdefender had stopped working and would I please relay the information so they could recommend a repair. I must have sent 50 such notifications and it never improved and I never received anything from Bitdefender about what to do to fix the probelm. Emailing them just sent my messages into a cyber black hole. It also conflicted with Windows 7 and both IE and Firefox constantly. Just last night, I wiped Bitdefender from my hard drive and now my computer is working the way it's supposed to.

It's a shame that ZERO stars is not an option for this rating.

Bitdefender Total Security 2012 Value M2 3Pc/2 Years [Old Version]