Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 1, 2014
This is my first dive in to bitcoin mining so I don't have anything else to compare to. From what I found, this is the best deal on a miner for the amount of hashing it produces (without breaking the bank). Technically some of the more expensive miners are a better deal but i'm not sure i'm ready to spend $300+ on one of those yet.

My only complaint is that this thing gets EXTREMELY HOT! I mean that it could almost literally burn your fingerprint off your finger. it's a bit ridiculous. Don't leave this thing somewhere where a little kid could touch it.

I did find that adding one of the Arctic Breeze USB fans to cool these works amazing. They are literally cool to the touch now. I highly recommend purchasing one at the same time as one of these.
on January 15, 2014
Following the instructions the setup went ok. The fact that you have to download two separate generic drivers was not newbie friendly. IMO, I would perfer to use real CGMINER rather than having to use a forked branch version of it. Hopefully the ANTMINER will be supported by main CGMINER branch in the future. Anyhow, I connected to a pool at standard 1.6GHs setting. Initially saw a few invalid nonce HW errors, but after the thing warmed up I no longer see any errors. By warm, I mean hot. The back metal side reaches 140F(60C) and the 180F(82C) on the asic chip with ambient air temp 72F(22C). No fan or forced air cooling. Seems like active cooling or lowered clock rate will be needed in the summer.
on January 29, 2014
I absolutely love this thing and just ordered another because the first one is working so well. That being said, make sure you read through the reviews on here and make sure you are prepared for the setup required to get your money's worth. I originally tried it with the main branch of cgminer and without the custom driver, and I only got around 500 Mh/s. Then I read through the reviews here and found out that I needed to download a specific driver as well as use a special branch of cgminer. It was not hard to do once I knew that I needed to do it, and now I am running slightly overclocked and getting a little better than 1.6 Gh/s. I would go higher but I prefer not to take the risk of burning one out, so I will stick with this performance and add more units. The price is great for the hash rate, especially if you want to build up a Bitmining rig slowly like I am doing. So I highly recommend this product and seller, just make sure you read about how to optimize the performance and make sure you are prepared and understand how to set this thing up.
on March 16, 2014
These instructions worked for me ...

For Windows:
1) Download/Install this driver: [...]
2) Download bfgminer windows version here: bfgminer.org/
3) Unzip bfgminer files to your computer; for example C:/bfgminer/
4) Create a shortcut to the bfgminer.exe file
Right click on your desktop and choose New -> Shortcut; use the browse option to locate the bfgminer.exe file that you unzipped earlier.

5) Right click on the new shortcut and click "Properties". In the "Target:" update to show as follows (replace pool details with your own user):

C:\bfgminer\bfgminer.exe -S antminer:all -o mint.bitminter.com:3333 -u bitcoinco_demo -p x --set-device antminer:clock=x0781

6) Double click the shortcut to start BFGminer and start mining.

Overclocking:
Note that when overclocked the Antminers will run hotter and require additional cooling; overclocking and overheating can result in damaged hardware. Proceed with caution. U1 may become unstable and crash if overclocked too much.

To overclock the U1 set the antminer:clock setting when running cgminer. Use the following table to choose your hash speed:
Hashrate antminer:clock
1.6GH/s 0781 (DEFAULT)
1.8GH/s 0881
2.0GH/s 0981
2.2GH/s 0A81

Recommended items:
ARCTIC Breeze Mobile USB-Powered 92mm Portable Fan, Portable Cooling Solution, Quiet Fan - White
Anker® USB 3.0 9-Port Hub + 5V 2.1A Smart Charging Port with 12V 5A Power Adapter [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset and updated Firmware 9081

Provide feedback to: 1WkydhhaQryHGtscTc2QE3ZcGJ2ooN4hU
on January 25, 2014
This product works perfectly! Runs at 1.6Gh/s right out of the box with no problems. I have had it running now for 24 hours with no problems, but it does get quite hot. I would defiantly suggest getting a USB fan or something to cool it in addition.

I had a bit of trouble (being a noob at this) so I am going to include the link to the specific cgminer build that will run the miner at its advertised speed. Otherwise most other mining programs only want to run it at ~500Mh/s.

If you are running on Windows download: [...] (click RAW to download) From what I gather this is a modified v3.8.5 that has BMSC enabled (its disabled by default).

I would also suggest creating a batch file: create a new text doc and rename it to cgminer.bat (name not important). open the file with a text editor then enter the following on 1 line: C:\(location of cgminer.exe) --bmsc-options: 115200:20 -o (your pool address) -u (your login, usually name_worker) - p (password) --bmsc-freq 0781

When your done run the .bat file and get money!

I am not responsible if you change the bmsc options and you break your hardware.
That should get you started. I HIGHLY suggest you read into the other possible settings and things to customize it to your needs. Good Luck!
on January 29, 2014
These units are the best and easiest way to explore BitCoin mining. Simply plug in to a USB port that can supply 500ma (most desktops and powered hubs), and run bfgminer or cgminer software. Check out bitcointalk.org mining software forum for links. The are the next generation of the Block Erupter, and 5 times as fast at the same power level.

Running here with cgminer-3.12.0 at 1.76Gh/s on Fedora linux both on a Dell desktop and a Pogoplug (handy low power ARM based unit with 256M ram, ethernet, and 4 USB2.0 ports). It draws ~500ma. Like the Block Erupters, the heat sink gets hot enough to be painful to the touch when going full blast. If you need to remove a unit, either use a tissue to insulate your fingers, or disable it in software first and wait a few minutes. Make sure there is plenty of air for the heat sink. Convection works in an open area, otherwise use a fan.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2014
I wasn't sure how these would work on my MacBookPro, but they worked great right away. Plugged 4 of them into a powered USB hub, and they fired up right away using MacMiner as software. They chug along reliably and consistently.

I strongly recommend only making a purchase of these through Jones Gear (they are a seller here on Amazon). I ordered 4 more from a different vendor here and ended up with a $8 earwax vac! Jones Gear always comes through. Stay away from the vendors who have "goofy" or "unprofessional" or "foreign sounding" business names.

I'm not associated with Jones Gear, but they have earned my trust!
on January 22, 2014
Works fine and I have no issues getting 2.16+ Gh/s. Installation was a bit of a hassle, and I doubt that your average user would have an easy time of it, so minus one star for that, but if you've been doing this stuff for 30 years as I have, not hard.
on March 5, 2014
Relatively easy to set up. (There are a lot of steps, but there are good directions. See: [...] for details on how I setup mine.) Very good Hashing to cost/power ratio. A solid second generation ASIC miner.

At current difficulty (3/4/2014) and exchange rates it is NOT likely that you will be able to turn a profit, but this is still a fun, educational project and a neat piece of history.

After about two months of mining in Slush's Pool I made 1/100th of a BTC.
on January 28, 2014
Without moving up to the 600 dollar block erupter blade cubes these mine faster for your money than any other USB device. They go so fast there are 2 LED's to flash when they're sending proofs. I'd say they run a TINY bit cooler than the old sapphire model and obviously a LOT faster. If you're just starting out or sticking with USB block erupters this is the model to get for your money and with today's difficulty. WARNING: may cause addiction to mining bitcoins.