4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious
This book arrived in the same Amazon shipment as "Bertha Venation", a book devoted to funny names of people. While "Bertha Venation" managed to be singularly unfunny, "Bizarre Books" had a pretty high hilarity quotient. Almost every page had at least a couple of titles which made me giggle.

Conveniently grouped into chapters such as Double Entendres, Science &...
Published on March 24, 2008 by David M. Giltinan

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish it had more excerpts
I really like this meta book - I just wish there were more excerpts from the featured books. After a while, reading the massive lists of book titles was like going to a restaurant and only reading the menu - eventually, you want something to eat!
Published on March 19, 2008 by Jody

3.0 out of 5 stars Good For A Few Laughs, July 27, 2009
Good for a few laughs but basically just a book of lists of bizarre book titles. Wished it did more than just listed the books with a picture here and there-often in black and white. It had great potential to be a fun book with its small descriptions/discussions of each title. I did have a hard time staying focused while reading it though. It was as though it was designed to be glanced through and nothing more. I also wished for more actual content. It is certainly not a bad book, but I've read much better and don't think that I would recommend it to others. You're not really missing anything if you choose to pass on this particular book.

5.0 out of 5 stars following its own path to the stars, i assume, November 12, 2008
kafkette "the last slum goddess" (Second Floor, Elswise Abandoned Industrial Wasteland, LA, CA USofA) - See all my reviews
Where's Arthur's gerbil? (Arthur's early learning library) published--believe it or not--in 1998 is only the tip of "invisible dick"s iceberg.

it's remarkable only for its late date pub year, inspiring the "what were they thinking?" head question that one cannot quite invoke for the remainding threesome- & foursome- entendre books appearing herein.

slang does change over time & e'er more quickly, as do the vagaries of what is & is not allowed. society hadnt yet begun to crumble when a hundred years or so ago appeared "men who have risen: a book for boys." half a century later arrived "microscopic objects: how to mount them." a quarter century or so past that [i am working from memory] up arose "the day amanda came" which, along w/ its jacket, has to be most evocative & almost alarming bit of business so far [un]covered by the authors.

& by the seventies, "what were they thinking?" does, indeed, apply.

it's more of a four star than five star book. id est: it isnt, say, "the sheltering sky" by paul bowles. but i &, most likely, most of the ~we~ that comprise the unknown out in the unreal world have come to realise that online anything less than five stars can but be considered criticism.

for this book i have little of that. itll make you shoot milk out yr nose [if thats what yr into] & proves, to its final dogged ear, that while the last lost living souls amongst us who still read may occasionally take the wrong end of the telescope to the stars, we also spend the unaccountable most of our time in deep unbridled contemplation of the gutter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Side-splitting laughter!, July 2, 2008
As a professional librarian, I collected funny names of authors and books for 35 years, mainly for the amusement of my colleagues and myself. But reading Ash's and Lake's Bizarre Books (and Larry Ashmead's Bertha Venation) inspired me to publish my collection. The result is The Inscribed List, or Why Librarians Are Crazy: Hilarious Real Names of Real People from Library Catalogs. I am happy to say that Ash and Lake like my work as much as I like theirs.

Ash and Lake remain the undisputed champions of digging up literary howlers. Like trained pigs with noses for exquisite truffles, they find and publish the wildest names and titles.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre Books for Sure!!, August 23, 2010
Enjoyed this book, but didn't love it by any means. I guess I didn't realize that compendium meant "A short, complete summary; an abstract; A list or collection of various items"... Basically, this book is a list of bizarre books with a few pictures of covers of some of the books mentioned and a few excerpts/quotes from some of the books as well.

Bizarre Books: A Compendium of Classic Oddities is divided up into various chapters based on book subject. It seems well researched and is very funny.

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but needs more excerpts, August 17, 2009
This review is from: Bizarre Books: A Compendium of Classic Oddities (Paperback)
A funny book, but it was kind of a mishmash and wasn't as comprehensive as I expected it to be. I got it with my Amazon points, but if I had paid 14.95 for such a slim book I would have felt cheated. I enjoyed it, though, and agree with what others have said; I'd like to have seen more excerpts (especially some of the jokes cracked by Lord Aberdeen, he looks like such a fun guy).

3.0 out of 5 stars glad I got this book!, January 23, 2014
This is a very interesting book. It's like a book of books I would like to read lol. I definatly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Oddities Says it all, August 23, 2013
DRYWASHER-BILL (LAS VEGAS, NEVADA) - See all my reviews
A collection of published works from the past century and a half, that is, well, BIZARRE. Makes a good bathroom reader, and also makes the reader think about how many people made it out alive and 'well', well. Lots of quack cures, strange clothing and rituals, and theory when there wasn't any government intrusion or limits on what people used, said, or tried. Some of the stuff is still used today.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book about books, August 16, 2013
its a book about other strange books

so what did I do? I ordered some of the books mentioned in this one...on Amazon of course!

my coffee table has the weirdest collection ...but EVERYONE talks about my strange books

this book will give you curiosity and laughter ... a great collection !

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so hot, May 29, 2013
Art Visionary (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bizarre Books (Paperback)
This one is on a stack of books to resell on Ebay soon. Big disappointment. Not what I expected from this title.

2.0 out of 5 stars USELESS - No IMAGES!!!!!, March 14, 2013
A BOOK ABOUT AMAZING BIZARRE BOOKS WITH ALMOST NO IMAGES OF BOOK COVERS IN IT : IT COULD HAVE BEEN A WONDERFUL IDEA . WASTED - PITY!!!

Bizarre Books: A Compendium of Classic Oddities
Bizarre Books: A Compendium of Classic Oddities by Russell Ash (Paperback - October 30, 2007)
Used & New from: $1.23