5.0 out of 5 stars Enter at your own Risk
Published on November 30, 2000 by Mollie

3.0 out of 5 stars A Creative Change...Almost
The Backstreet Boys are, you must admit, fascinating individuals. This album has been out since last fall, and so my review is several months late. It has taken me this long to really figure out how I feel about the album. I really respect the fact that the guys are maturing. They have really taken creative control over their careers in a time when conformity is the key...
Published on July 22, 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Enter at your own Risk, November 30, 2000
This review is from: Black & Blue (Audio CD)
I am a mother of a teenage daughter and purchased the cd for her on the day it came out. I opened it and played it in the car on the way home. Upon ariving home I found myself sitting in the car in the garage because I wanted to hear all of the songs. At first listening all I could think of is that I needed to hear it again, and again, and again. A lot of the kids reviewing the cd here are only interested in records and the competition between the 2 boy bands. Get real kids. This cd is so far superior to the No Strings Attached cd that to say anything different is a downright lie. Buy this cd. It is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Backstreet Boys or NSYNC, November 8, 2000
stephen Garry (Manchester England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black & Blue (Audio CD)
This will be the Backstreet Boys Four studio album and from the first single release The Shape Of My Heart you know that the Backstreet Boys usual high standard is maintained on this album. With other stand out tracks like The Call, Everyone and Time i think that this will be the album that once and for all makes them stand out from all of the other boy bands around and makes people realise that they are the best boyband in the world. So when it comes to BSB or NSYNC there is no comparrison.

5.0 out of 5 stars tHe BoYs ArE bAcK iN tOwN!!, November 25, 2000
"medakewl2" (Youngstown, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black & Blue (Audio CD)
Yeah, it's the same old BSB sound. "The Call" is the only song that doesn't sound "BSBish". But, it is a jam-packed awesome CD to chill with. It's the same sound, but the same sound works. With all those hit songs and #1 chart toppers, the B-boys know what people like and continue to pump out the tunes. You can tell that the boys put a lot of effort into this CD. They were unheard over the past few months- many said that they weren't coming back and that 'N Sync had taken over the Boy Band world. Now, lemme just say--- The Boys Are Back In Town and continue to reign as pop masters and Boy Band kings of the world. Nick, Brian, Howie, AJ, and Kevin continue to mature and improve, proving so with this amazingly sassy CD full of snappy lyrics and phat tunes. "The Call" is the first CD that actually shows the "bad" side of love, or cheating on your girlfriend. I love the beats and tunes in all the songs. Their are some "slow dance" ballads but there also are the up-beat, jazzy, pumped-up ballads that make you want to jump and dance along. This CD is a must for parties, sleepovers, or just to listen to in the car. It's AWESOME!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back and Better than ever....., November 10, 2000
Nitewing (Sanford, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black & Blue (Audio CD)
These guys keep getting better with each album! The mark of true talent. Black & Blue is indeed different from the last two albums (for example-"The Call" which will be the second single), though you will find some tracks that have that familiar BSB feel, such as the first single "Shape of My Heart". This is going to be the best album to date from these guys. Do yourself a favor....get over your pre-concieved notions and add this one to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars BSB HAVE DONE IT AGAIN, July 3, 2001
This review is from: Black & Blue (Audio CD)
As I tell everyone,this is pop music and darn good at that. I happen to be a guy fan (yes,we're out there) One thing I must commend BSB on is their growing adult and male fanbase. Their music is maturing. Their past the "We've Got It Going On" days although they indeed still have it going on!
Now,the music of Black and Blue. Although not quite as flowing as "Millennium" was,it's still an amazing pop album. Millennnium was one in a million and there will never be another like it. Black and Blue DOES have more of a variety,however. It has the perfect wedding song (I Promise You),the perfect graduation song (Time),the perfect dance song (Get Another Boyfriend),and the perfect ballad. Also,many of the tracks were written by BSB! (gasps) You heard me right,people. BSB can write AND they all do unlike another group which will remain nameless. "Shining Star","Answer To Our Life","Time","Yes I Will","It's True","How Did I Fall In Love With You",and "What Makes You Different" (bonus track) were all written or cowritten by BSB. Also,another thing which may shock you is that many of the tracks written by BSB happen to be some of the best tracks on the album! BSB are turning into true artists although many are not willing to admitt it. They showed us they could do it on Millennium and now they're taking it even further. BSB,I'm looking forward to what you're going to do on the next album and I have a feeling I'm not going to be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have CD, November 25, 2000
Terry (Levittown, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black & Blue (Audio CD)
I think BSB's new 'Black and Blue' CD is a one of a kind sound. It has the sounds of the old BSB and the new sounds of the mature BSB members, Nick, Howie, Brian, Kevin and AJ. They really out did themselves on the album. It even shows thier writing abilities. Their next single, "The Call," is really going to have a great response from their fans. I suggest you go out and buy the CD and find out for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow- amazing variety, November 15, 2000
This review is from: Black & Blue (Audio CD)
The Backstreet Boys' third album "Black and Blue" has something for everyone. You've got your party songs, slow songs, love songs, soulful songs, fast songs- you name it. And all of them are quality and single material. "Shape of My Heart" was just a bridge from "Millennium" to "Black and Blue"- all the other songs are different and cool in their own ways. The Backstreet Boys just get better and better with time. Plus I love the song "Time"- written by the Backstreet Boys and produced by the one and only Babyface.And last but not least- the BSB wrote/co-wrote about half the album on "Black and Blue." That's pretty good- way to go!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ok, theyre still them, but don't you love them?, November 13, 2000
This review is from: Black & Blue (Audio CD)
I think that, although still the same sound, the Backstreet Boys have grown. Know this: yes, the songs do sound similar to the songs from the previous albums. The formula is clear with such songs as "Everyone" and "The Call" which sound somewhat like "Everybody" and "Larger Than Life", respectively. But isn't that what everyone loved? No band ever ventures too far from their original sound or they will loose the fans who appreciated the music as it was. I enjoyed listening to this CD, and I am not a Backstreet fan. I admit that openly. But I also admit that the whole album is catchy. Not to be taken as seriously as some artists, sure, but all the same a good album. If you're looking for fun, this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars BSB Mature, December 3, 2000
"consueloa" (Lexington Park, MD, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black & Blue (Audio CD)
I'm an older (much older) fan of BSB and this cd is fantastic. I have a hard time picking one favorite. It definitely makes one realize they are not kids doing bubblegum music anymore. They never said they were musicians but they are songwriters and artists. Their harmonies and the way their voices blend takes me back to some of the sounds of Motown (yes, I'm THAT old). They have what it takes to have real longevity. They seem to show a true appreciation for their fans and aren't afraid to show their feelings for each other, their families and their values. Those are qualities you don't see very often in the music business. I applaud them and appreicate their dedication and hard work. Thanks for the great music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Above Average But Better Than Others Out There, November 21, 2000
Backstreet Boys' "Black & Blue" Album Review
Ratings: Excellent - memorable and catchy; hooks you the first time and lasts a long time
Great - takes a while to get in to but becomes memorable and catchy
Good - average song; the pros equal the cons
Weak - has very little good parts and never fully soars
Poor - horrible; no good parts; skip it
Note: In order to review these songs, I listened to ALL of them morethan three times for them to sink in.
1. The Call - Excellent PROs: Loved it the first time I heard it and I can't seem to get it out of my head CONs: Sounds like 98 Degrees' "Give Me Just One Night" and 'N Sync's "Bi, bi, bi" er "Bye, bye, bye"
2. Shape Of My Heart - Great PROs: Loved it the first time I heard it; catchy but not annoying CONs: weak lyrics; lack of power (unlike I Want It That Way or Show Me the Meaning)
3. Get Another Boyfriend - Excellent PROs: Sounds very unique and VERY memorable; great party music CONs: The muffled, static voice could have been improved
4. Shining Star - Weak (almost Poor) PROs: The bridge; RnB-esque (sounds like TLC's "Shout" -- which is WAY superior) CONs: Annoying; poor production value; horrible use of the Boys' vocal powers
5. I Promise You (With Everything I Am) - Good PROs: IT'S NOT COUNTRY!; sweet and sentimental; great lyrics CONs: there's a great build up but there's no climax; slow chorus
6. The Answer To Our Life - Great PROs: Excellent vocals; upbeat(but not loud) and uplifting; unique rock feel CONs: You can EASILY tell that the Boys wrote this
7. Everyone - Good PROs: Somewhat momorable; great chorus; nice use of instruments CONs: Circus jingle part; wierd intro(sounds like Marilyn Manson;-); stereotypical BSB upbeat song
8. More Than That - Good PROs: Smooth chorus; relaxing sound and feel (kinda contemporary) CONs: Intro(Brian's part) kinda sounds out of place; somewhat monotonous
9. Time - Good PROs: Above average quality; excellent vocals CONs: Overhyped; not their best ballad (probobly their worst if they realse this as a single) *I hope they won't relases this as a single 'cause it's juts not up there with IWITW and SMTOBL as a ballad
10. Not For Me: Good PROs: Upbeat but not too loud -- in a good way CONs: Chorus sounds a bit 70s
11. Yes I Will: Weak PROs: Pretty good chorus; not as cheesy as it sounds CONs: Sounds like "I'll Never Break Your Heart"(especially the intro); mediocre 'marriage' theme song
12. It's True: Weak PROs: Nice use of instruments and vocals(except Nick -- he's straining again, just like Justin T.) CONs: Slow chorus; weak lyrics; typical overly-sweet-bubblegum ballad
13. How Did I Fall In Love With You: Good PROs: Brian's parts; sentimental but not gooey; fresh lyrics and sound CONs: Some of Howie's parts; doesn't go anywhere; some confusing lyrics
TOTAL: Above Average
-I gave this album 5 stars because, compared to the rest out there, this is basic perfection (even the "bad" songs have great moments). And besides, a perfect album is an album comprised with songs that suit your personal taste. And there's no commercial album like that out there(unless its illegal).

Black & Blue
Black & Blue by Backstreet Boys (Audio CD - 2000)