Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on February 11, 2014
After reading the reviews about the good picture quality and seeing example videos on YouTube, I purchased it. I was a bit hesitant because of the reviews about the bad instructions, but another reviewer Herb Harbison was able to update the shaky Chinese instructions. There is a link in his review or you can get it here [...]

I did make one mistake that I want to share. After fooling around with the settings I thought the quickest way to get back to the original settings was to select the "Restore Factory Default" menu item. Um, don't do that. It will also restore the menus to Cyrillic (Russian) language. It took me about an hour to figure out which was the menu item to display English.

The video is excellent. I was able to catch a video of Bigfoot crossing the road while driving through a back roads in Ohio, but I accidentally deleted it. You can select between 720 or 1080. The 720 was very good plus will give you about 9 hours of video on a 32gb card. You can find some examples of the video quality on YouTube that people have posted. So far so good. If anything changes, I will update.

******Update 2/15 *****

Started getting memory errors soon after use, and also didn't notice the camera was stopping its recording. Thinking it was the brand new Sandisk class 10 memory card, I exchanged and got another. Still memory errors and corrupted files with the replacement. I email Baiklov about the issue, and they responded within 24 hours specifically stating to use a class 4 or 6 card . I started using a class 4 without and not have had any memory issues or corrupt files.

**** Updated 2/16 *****

I replied to Baiklov thanking them for their quick response to the memory errors my camera was having and it has been resolved. I even suggested that they update the product description for the camera to state the user buy class 4 or 6 microSD card and they did! They sent back a nice email thanking me for my input. Now that is a great customer service! I upgraded from 4 to 5 stars for their excellent customer service, and great product.
1515 comments|489 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2014
I bought this as a secondary dash cam for testing purposes. It is currently mounted to the rear of my wagon, while another brand camera is in the front.

Size: it is small enough to be hidden in front your rear view mirror if mounted in front.

Video quality: 1080p quality is ridiculously good, but the trade off is that your viewing angle is reduced and the file sizes are huge.
I stick with 720p at 30fps for the 120 degree viewing angle. It is more than good enough to identify license plates - and make a few YouTube videos of errant drivers.
At night the quality is reduced, but I can still make out license plates of vehicles behind me with their uber bright HID lights.

Suction cup: I had to try it a few times well before it would finally stay attached. I was ready with mounting tape as a permafix.

Do Note: This can double duty as a normal photograph camera and even as a webcam for your PC.

If you are looking for a first dash cam, then get this. Make sure to buy 32Gb MicroSDHC card for it.That will give you 8 -9 hours recording time (720p) before overwriting old files.
1919 comments|597 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2013
Small and compact dashcam that disappears completely behind my rearview mirror. It records to MicroSD media and is currently the top value as recommended by Dashcamtalk forum. The power adapter cord was adequate for me to hide along the headliner down the door seal and into the cigarette lighther socket. It comes on automatically when the car comes on and makes a sound when doing so, this is helpful because since I can't see the unit it's good to know it turned on. A previous dashcam I had would not power on reliably so this gives me the peace of mind that my drive is being recorded as intended. This camera features a true 120 degree field of view, in layman's terms that means it sees just about a wide view as your eyes do. In practical terms, in the unfortunate event another car cuts you off and causes you to hit them from behind, chances are the wide field of view will help your cause tremendously in proving your case. I hope I'll never have to test that theory, but the case stands that you want true 120 degree visibility in a dashcam. I've set it up to cycle record in 10 min blocks so the memory card will just fill itself up and delete the oldest file. With a 16gb card in there I should be able to retrieve any footage I need before it's overwritten. The unit is light and so far it has stuck onto the windshield for at least 3 weeks with no issues. 1080p video quality means that under optimal daytime conditions you can actually read license plates from the footage but because of the wide angle of view you would have to be pretty close to the car in front of you. It's too bad Amazon doesn't carry this camera directly since the overseas shipping took quite some time to get here.

Edit Jan 2015

So it's been about 2 years now with 2 of these units on both cars and I'm sad to report that both have failed. The first one experienced some memory card formatting errors that cleared up after a reformat. After finally running a mini usb hardwire kit to the fuse box, it just stopped working altogether; the blue led power light comes on but the camera stays off. Took it out the car and tried external usb power and hitting the reset pin with no results. The second one also went a few weeks later, it would intermittently turn on/off while powered via hardwire or cig lighter and then nothing now with just the blue led coming on. Tried reset pin and nothing. I'm moving onto the B40 capacitor model that is more discreet and with seemingly higher quality build.
1010 comments|220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2014
The G1W is a very good dash camera. It is relatively small and takes excellent pictures. I believe it is probably a best value in dash cams. The two cables and the power source seem to be of good quality as is the camera. The camera arrived in very good time beating the estimate by 1 week.

The great drawback to the camera is that the included instructions are woefully inadequate. Organization is lacking and the English is, at best, poor. Making the camera work was a difficult job. In order to learn how to take advantage of the numerous settings on the camera I wrote a five page set of instructions which are posted at tinyurl dot com slash mzfz7wc I made the tiny url to hopefully avoid amazon censors deleting the link. If the link is missing, do a google search on G1W instructions or octabode and select the 5 page pdf result. With the instructions you should be able to understand the camera's functions and use the camera successfully. Be happy to hear from you about the instructions.
4242 comments|330 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2014
This Black Box dash cam melted in my car in less than two weeks of buying it. The unit is made of cheap plastic not like the EZ-Pass and SunPass units for tolls. The unit will no longer suction cup to my windshield as the plastic melted from the sun and the actual unit is in two pieces. Check "Customer Pictures" that I uploaded today. Cheaply made product.
review image review image review image review image
55 comments|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2014
A very cool little product! Definitely worth it!

Pros: Excellent video quality, price, auto-on/auto-record setting (set and forget!), easy video review from any computer!

Cons: Manual absolutely sucks, buttons/menu is confusing at first but easy once you understand it ("Rec" is like your "enter" key, "M" is how you toggle through menu's). It was extremely hot outside and the unit "froze" for a little while; not sure if that was the heat or the memory card issue (see below) but hopefully it's not a trend.

The product description doesn't tell you that you'll need a "Class 4" microSD card. Luckily they're not expensive here on Amazon (32GB cost me around $20). I used a Class 10 with the faster writing (since we're obviously recording video) and I got a "memory error" after about an hour of recording. After reading more review, apparently this fixes the concern.

Don't set "Motion On". This will only record when there is motion, but it's not 100% accurate. If you're going straight down the road with no real vehicle movement near you, it won't recognize this as motion (?). Turn that off and it will begin recording automatically when the vehicle turns on and stop several seconds after - much better! The G-Sensor will auto-protect the block of video if it senses a potential collision, so the video will not be erased by the unit automatically.

I'm still playing with the unit but so far it seems very cool and the video quality is actually very nice at 1080P. It's very easy to read license plates and specific details. At night it's also very good. It's obviously more difficult to get plate numbers and finer text due to glare from your own headlights but it's still very good.

For the price, this is an excellent little unit that I would highly recommend whether you're looking for recreation or safety usage!
review image review image review image review image
11 comment|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2014
The first thing you notice with this camera is that it's cheap. It feels like a bunch of plastic loosely glued together. I am definitely a bit concerned as to how it will hold up after an accident, but the most important thing is that the SD card survives and the files don't get corrupted, not that the camera itself survives.

After a few months of exposure to the sun behind my mirror, the black metal plate has faded into a bright copper color that makes the camera stand out A LOT. Previously, only one person had ever noticed it and said something about it to me (asking about it). Now, everybody knows I have one. Dash cameras don't necessarily need to be hidden, but it certainly helps keeping it somewhat concealed.

The most important thing is that it works. You don't play with the thing every day, it just sits there. The only thing that matters with this is that it takes good footage and is reliable. It has proven both of those things to me. Although I haven't yet needed it, it has come in handy a small number of times. I can say right now that I'll never drive without a camera again, and I have recommended this one to many.

Attached photos are after and before fading. You can see how big of a difference the color makes. It doesn't affect functionality, but it definitely doesn't look good.

UPDATE 1/26/2016: I have noticed that the camera has begun corrupting some files. It happens regardless of the SD card it's using. HOWEVER, I have purchased another one of these as of June 2015 for my father. It shipped from the US (not China like mine), has a slightly different design, and has improved build quality. The metal plate on the camera HAS NOT FADED. He has not said anything about his camera corrupting files either. Increasing to 4 stars for fixing almost all the mentioned problems!
review image review image
on July 6, 2014
I ordered this camera, got it the next day, and found it was the 'fake' version. Listed as having the Novatek NT96650 processor but it really had the Novatek NT96220FG processor, which give a much worse quality video. Blurry, blocky, and not what I paid for. Thankfully Amazon is refunding me.
33 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2014
I had this camera for less than a week before getting into a crash with a driver who ran a red light on my way to the office. The camera had excellent footage--you could see the other lights turn red, my light turn green, and even see my hood dip as I tried to brake to avoid the crash. You can even see the other driver's facial expression as the cars made contact. Based on my initial insurance estimate, this camera has already paid for itself 262 times. I showed the video to the police at the scene and their reaction was "Wow, we don't even need to talk to her anymore. We'll definitely write her a ticket."

Other thoughts on the camera--it's a little large, but it hides fine behind the rearview mirror. Day and night video quality has been excellent. The screen makes it easy to aim. I do wish the mount was a little smaller, but I'll probably solve that with a third-party mounting kit--that is, if my car isn't totaled. Also, the microphone quality is surprisingly good.
22 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2014
ITS A FAAAKKKKKE!

My camera died within the first 15 minutes of use. Contaced the seller and he only wanted to refund me 17 dollars. Funny because when I opened up the camera, it was a NT96620FG instead of the Novatek 96650. The seller is giving you an inferior camera and cashing in on it.
44 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse