4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy budget dash cam
I bought this as a secondary dash cam for testing purposes. It is currently mounted to the rear of my wagon, while another brand camera is in the front.

Size: it is small enough to be hidden in front your rear view mirror if mounted in front.

Published 8 months ago by Saxman642

2.0 out of 5 stars bought two of these, Both have the same problem.
I recently bought two of these, one for myself and one for my wife. I bought two SanDisk 32gb class 10 cards for these cameras

Published 8 months ago by K. K. Cialon

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy budget dash cam, January 10, 2014
Saxman642 (Trinidad and Tobago) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Box G1W Original Dashboard Dash Cam - Full HD 1080P H.264 2.7" LCD Car DVR Camera Video Recorder with G-Sensor Night Vision Motion Detection WDR 140° Wide Angle 4X Zoom - Authentic NT96550 + AR0330 (Electronics)

Video quality: 1080p quality is ridiculously good, but the trade off is that your viewing angle is reduced and the file sizes are huge.
I stick with 720p at 30fps for the 120 degree viewing angle. It is more than good enough to identify license plates - and make a few YouTube videos of errant drivers.
At night the quality is reduced, but I can still make out license plates of vehicles behind me with their uber bright HID lights.

Suction cup: I had to try it a few times well before it would finally stay attached. I was ready with mounting tape as a permafix.

Do Note: This can double duty as a normal photograph camera and even as a webcam for your PC.

If you are looking for a first dash cam, then get this. Make sure to buy 32Gb MicroSDHC card for it.That will give you 8 -9 hours recording time (720p) before overwriting old files.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera - Responsive Company, February 11, 2014
After reading the reviews about the good picture quality and seeing example videos on YouTube, I purchased it. I was a bit hesitant because of the reviews about the bad instructions, but another reviewer Herb Harbison was able to update the shaky Chinese instructions. There is a link in his review or you can get it here [...]

I did make one mistake that I want to share. After fooling around with the settings I thought the quickest way to get back to the original settings was to select the "Restore Factory Default" menu item. Um, don't do that. It will also restore the menus to Cyrillic (Russian) language. It took me about an hour to figure out which was the menu item to display English.

The video is excellent. I was able to catch a video of Bigfoot crossing the road while driving through a back roads in Ohio, but I accidentally deleted it. You can select between 720 or 1080. The 720 was very good plus will give you about 9 hours of video on a 32gb card. You can find some examples of the video quality on YouTube that people have posted. So far so good. If anything changes, I will update.

******Update 2/15 *****

Started getting memory errors soon after use, and also didn't notice the camera was stopping its recording. Thinking it was the brand new Sandisk class 10 memory card, I exchanged and got another. Still memory errors and corrupted files with the replacement. I email Baiklov about the issue, and they responded within 24 hours specifically stating to use a class 4 or 6 card . I started using a class 4 without and not have had any memory issues or corrupt files.

**** Updated 2/16 *****

I replied to Baiklov thanking them for their quick response to the memory errors my camera was having and it has been resolved. I even suggested that they update the product description for the camera to state the user buy class 4 or 6 microSD card and they did! They sent back a nice email thanking me for my input. Now that is a great customer service! I upgraded from 4 to 5 stars for their excellent customer service, and great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best value dashcam with 1080p, December 2, 2013
Small and compact dashcam that disappears completely behind my rearview mirror. It records to MicroSD media and is currently the top value as recommended by Dashcamtalk forum. The power adapter cord was adequate for me to hide along the headliner down the door seal and into the cigarette lighther socket. It comes on automatically when the car comes on and makes a sound when doing so, this is helpful because since I can't see the unit it's good to know it turned on. A previous dashcam I had would not power on reliably so this gives me the peace of mind that my drive is being recorded as intended. This camera features a true 120 degree field of view, in layman's terms that means it sees just about a wide view as your eyes do. In practical terms, in the unfortunate event another car cuts you off and causes you to hit them from behind, chances are the wide field of view will help your cause tremendously in proving your case. I hope I'll never have to test that theory, but the case stands that you want true 120 degree visibility in a dashcam. I've set it up to cycle record in 10 min blocks so the memory card will just fill itself up and delete the oldest file. With a 16gb card in there I should be able to retrieve any footage I need before it's overwritten. The unit is light and so far it has stuck onto the windshield for at least 3 weeks with no issues. 1080p video quality means that under optimal daytime conditions you can actually read license plates from the footage but because of the wide angle of view you would have to be pretty close to the car in front of you. It's too bad Amazon doesn't carry this camera directly since the overseas shipping took quite some time to get here

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera Bad Instructions, January 6, 2014
The G1W is a very good dash camera. It is relatively small and takes excellent pictures. I believe it is probably a best value in dash cams. The two cables and the power source seem to be of good quality as is the camera. The camera arrived in very good time beating the estimate by 1 week.

The great drawback to the camera is that the included instructions are woefully inadequate. Organization is lacking and the English is, at best, poor. Making the camera work was a difficult job. In order to learn how to take advantage of the numerous settings on the camera I wrote a five page set of instructions which are posted at tinyurl dot com slash mzfz7wc I made the tiny url to hopefully avoid amazon censors deleting the link. If the link is missing, do a google search on G1W instructions or octabode and select the 5 page pdf result. With the instructions you should be able to understand the camera's functions and use the camera successfully. Be happy to hear from you about the instructions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Daytime crash, January 27, 2014
Length:: 0:25 Mins

A video of the daytime recording quality. The panning was done by hand, so it's not as steady.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me from a ticket and court, June 22, 2014
I had this camera for less than a week before getting into a crash with a driver who ran a red light on my way to the office. The camera had excellent footage--you could see the other lights turn red, my light turn green, and even see my hood dip as I tried to brake to avoid the crash. You can even see the other driver's facial expression as the cars made contact. Based on my initial insurance estimate, this camera has already paid for itself 262 times. I showed the video to the police at the scene and their reaction was "Wow, we don't even need to talk to her anymore. We'll definitely write her a ticket."

Other thoughts on the camera--it's a little large, but it hides fine behind the rearview mirror. Day and night video quality has been excellent. The screen makes it easy to aim. I do wish the mount was a little smaller, but I'll probably solve that with a third-party mounting kit--that is, if my car isn't totaled. Also, the microphone quality is surprisingly good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, best value, March 24, 2014
Length:: 1:00 Mins

UPDATE: Added video. Had to sample it down to fit Amazon guidelines, so quality is actually quite better in the raw video from the camera, 1080P at 30FPS. You can see daylight video and night time video. Working great with a 32GB SD card (class 4). Each 3 minute segment is about 283 megabytes at maximum quality, 1080P@30hz for reference. The time stamp is automatically added by the camera, a great feature.

This camera comes straight from China, so no Amazon Prime shipping, but it still came pretty fast. Instructions are a joke as mentioned but the controls and menu are fairly self-explanatory. Daylight recording is superb, license plates can be easily read from far away and the wide-angle lens captures cars beside you before they even come into your peripheral vision. Night vision is clear enough to identify cars and close license plates, for the price I can forgive the grainy night video. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars bought two of these, Both have the same problem., January 4, 2014

Product works but there is a big problem, the files seem to get corrupted! One full file is often missing ( for example I can see me getting close to work but the immediate area, parking lot etc is gone) yet I have two files with the same section of a trip! This happens almost all the time. I disabled all the extra features thinking the issue is with the G sensor, motion sensor or the delay circuitry. But it did not help.
The camera has tons of features but its hard to use, most buttons have multiple roles on the instruction is very poor.

On the positive side it comes with the batteries, the suction cup works well so far (it has a lever, not these radar detector cups that you have to lick and they still keep coming off) comes with multiple cables (HDMI etc) movie quality is not 1080p (in photo mode it might?) but its good enough. I did not try to test the G sensor and such since It has a bigger problem with the missing file.

I will keep using them and I promise to let you know if the product falls apart or quits operating, If you don't see an "edit" assume they are operational as described above. Also if the manufacturer reads this and will attempt to help I will edit my review as well.

At this point I can't recommend, missing files are unacceptable!

1.0 out of 5 stars I received the 'fake' version with the lower spec processor., July 6, 2014
I ordered this camera, got it the next day, and found it was the 'fake' version. Listed as having the Novatek NT96650 processor but it really had the Novatek NT96220FG processor, which give a much worse quality video. Blurry, blocky, and not what I paid for. Thankfully Amazon is refunding me.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE - Not What's Advertised!!! DON'T TRUST THE SELLER, May 30, 2014
This is NOT the NT96650 chip, it's a NTK96650. Meaning that it has different firmware, specifically, its auto-loop function is limited to 5 minutes max, it will not fill your card and then start over. It's either a 1, 3, or 5 minute auto-loop, otherwise it fills the card and stops recording, period. So, you have to keep an eye on it and clear the card when it's full, which is a huge pain. What's my other option? A 5 minute auto-loop. So if i get in an accident, I have to first dive to shut off the camera, otherwise it will record over everything.

The chip is different, the box is different, the mounts are different, and the firmware (settings) is different. My box had removed sticker residue with a "G1W" sticker over the top of it. This is what happens when you deal with Chinese sellers; a long wait, no returns, no support, and a fake product.

BEWARE, lots of people are getting knock-offs from Amazon sellers like BAIKLOV, just do a Google search, some get even shoddier copies than I did, but I'm still pissed. Good luck sending this back to China, may as well just flush your money down the toilet. Can you tell I'm upset? AAAARRRRG!!!

Rate and Discover Movies