5.0 out of 5 stars Black Butterfly - 14 Track
Published on September 17, 2008 by Steven Swan

2.0 out of 5 stars The MP3 download is not as good as the CD.
For some reason the 3rd song on this release on the MP3 download is an old Deep Purple cover of Highway Star instead of the song Too Drunk which is on the the CD. Why did this change? It is not as good this way IMO a good album but this ruins it, buy the Cd and skip the MP3.
Published on March 23, 2010 by anthony estes

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Butterfly - 14 Track, September 17, 2008
Had to get the Fan Club edition version of this album since Buckcherry is one of my top 5 fav bands of the last 10 years or so. This one contains two bonus songs, one of which ("Nothing") I would rate higher than at least 2 songs on the regular release "All Of Me", and "Don't Go Away", maybe even "Dreams" too? The other bonus track is "Stayin' High" which sounds a bit like Enuff Z'Nuff (and the topic sounds like something they would record now doesn't it?) It is a decent song also and I rate it higher than All Of Me and Don't Go Away also....what can I say, I am a big fan on Z'Nuff also!?

The album has alot of promise to me, I after 3 or 4 listens put it ahead of "15" for sure. "A Child Called 'it'", "Rescue Me", and "Fallout" are my favs right now. "Rose" followed by another rocker "Imminent Bail Out" sound great back to back. "Imminent Bailout" is also up in the top tier group of favs...which may change on a daily basis now that I think about it. The song "All Of Me" doesn't belong here at all, and it to me their weakest track ever...I have yet to be able to listen to it all the way through (4 try's). "Rose" is a nice song, sorta a mid tempo ballad type thing or whatever that works, but the interruption of All Of Me is me reaching for the remote to skip it...time to get back to rocking!

They do plenty of that on here, very good blues based hard rock with a dab of sleaze to be found abundant on any Buckcherry release, to be played loudly and enjoyed in all it's raucous splender.

Love the guitar work on here, some nice fills, abbreviated but necessary solo's that add to the feel of each song also. The feel is good on this one, and they are to me expanding a bit and trying some somewhat new things, but at the same time not straying too far from the formula also in the process if that makes any sense? I would rate it above "15" for sure right now...I still like "Time Bomb" better...but maybe after a few more listens not by much.

The "Best Buy Version" as it may be referred to in many circles includes a one year membership to the fanclub *explained on an insert in the packaging of the CD*

With this you get:
- 24/7 access to the members only fan club site
- Chances to meet Buckcherry
- Members Only Message Board (Like OMG!!111!!) j/k
- Contest with drawings and prizes
- And Much More (apparently)

There's a coupon code on the insert that you type into a spot on the site to redeem/activate I guess.

And of course you get the 2 bonus songs which are worth it for a few extra bucks.

I guess depending how into this band you are, is what you decide on. Buckcherry doesn't disappoint in unreleased songs/material, if only they could better decide on a couple songs here and there to put on each CD (after Time Bomb), but I do give this one 5 stars for being 1. Generous with the 2 songs. 2. Fan Club stuff, inside info etc. gained (even if only for a year).

Favs:
6. Too Drunk
7. Tired Of You
8. Cream
9. Talk To Me
10. Nothing (bonus track - demo )
11. Dreams
12. Stayin' High (bonus track - demo)
13. Don't Go Away
14. All Of Me

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard rockin, December 14, 2008
This review is from: Black Butterfly (Audio CD)
This album is exactly what we've grown to expect from Buckcherry. It rocks hard from start to end, even the "slow songs". I'm sure glad Josh Todd regrouped with Buckcherry instead of joining the old "Rage against the Machine" back before they found Chris Cornell.
"To drunk to ...." is the best party song of the year.

2.0 out of 5 stars The MP3 download is not as good as the CD., March 23, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Rock And Roll Party on CD!!!, September 22, 2008
Buckcherry is a classically known for their Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll attitude at an extreme level, and this album has all of that and then some. With songs like Too Drunk, Stayin High (Demo), and Imminent Bail Out, this album is ready to party when you put it in. Not groundbreaking material at all, but they are doing what works for them, and have not compromised in any way, and the sound is still very pallitable.

As for the fan club edition, excellent. The two bonus tracks of Stayin High and Nothing (both demo's) are nice addtions for a few dollars more, but the online access is really cool too. You also get to sign up for a t-shirt with the voucher and club sign-up, much like the Staind fan club edition. Worth the extra few dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ALBUM!!, September 16, 2008
This review is from: Black Butterfly (Audio CD)
These Los Angeles rockers delivered a great follow up to their platinum 2006 album. With heavy guitars, amazing riffs and unbelievable hooks, Buckcherry puts other rockers to shame. Bad boy frontman Josh Todd, hasn't lost his edge at all and further proves that he has one of the best voices in rock. My favorite tracks would have to be "Child Called It", "Cream", and of course "Too Drunk".

3.0 out of 5 stars I like most of it, October 10, 2008
This review is from: Black Butterfly (Audio CD)
I still remember when their self titled album came out. That one to me was a great album. Although there were some weaker songs towards the end, they were still pretty good. I must admit I never gave Time bomb or 15 their proper listens. Something I regret with Time bomb. After listening to them again recently I wish I have given Time bomb more of a listen. I have to say that I was disappointed in 15. It seemed to go in a softer direction, and the songwritting wasn't as strong, although I did like the little bit of experamenting they did. That leads me to this one.

In some ways I'm impressed and others not so much. It kind of has a same old buckcherry sound; which felt a bit stale at first. After more listens this didn't bother me anymore. Buckcherry hasn't been a band to really invent something new too often, and that's probably one thing I like about the, they're a straight up rock band. Overall the amount of songs I really like has increased over 15, and they were better than most of the goods songs on that one. The weaker songs, however, seem weaker than most other albums though.

Rescue me 8/10 This one's a partial rocker. I'd heard a few people praising this song before I'd heard it, and I was a bit disappointed when I heard it. After a couple of listens it really grew on me, and it follows in the trend of great album openers.

Tired of You 8/10 I can't help the feeling that I've heard this one before, Time bomb anyone, but after several listens I couldn't help but like it. It's got a nice groove to it.

Too Drunk... 3/10 Depending on my final verdict on Sorry this might be the first single by these guys that I don't like. Musically and vocally it's nothing special, not bad but not great either. The lyrics are just awful. I guess this is what we get from people who spend their entire adult lives partying. It's not that I don't enjoy songs like Dirty mind or Crazy Bi--h, but this one just gets to me. Both of the other mentioned songs had better music and vocals.

Dreams 7/10 This one's kinda funny coming after the last song. The verses are softer, although the songs moves at a quicker pace. The chorus rocks out. It sounds like a sentamental song, but I like it.

Talk To Me 8/10 God please stop saying talk to me! If not for them repeating that over and over throughout this song, it's be one of my favorite Buckcherry songs, and would recieve a perfect 10. It's a rocker, with a solid riff nice beat and great vocals, talk to me's excluded. I don't mind them doing it in the intro or bringing it back at the end, but it gets rediculous. Still a good song.

Child Called It 5/10 The vocals during the chorus took some getting used to, but having a song complaining about a parent after so many bands did this when Buckcherry got started, to their credit they waited till it wasn't trendy. It's alright I guess, but I usually skip it.

Don't Go Away 7/10 This is another slower one. It's a ballad, but I like it. The music and vocals go well together, but there isn't really anything special, it's just a good song.

Fallout 9/10 Yet another rocker, and it's a good one. There's a lot of passion in the vocals. It flows nicely. It gets the adrenoline pumping.

Rose 5/10 This one's ok I guess. It's kind of a slower one. The line about sweeter than honey bothers me. I usually skip this one too.

All of Me 7/10 The Tesla song of the same name is better, but I really like this one. Some of the lyrics are a bit off, but there are some lines I like. I also like that this is the most unique song on here. They tried something slightly different here, and it works fine. The album at this point has slowed down quite a bit.

Imminent Bail Out 8/10 This one picks things back up. It's a good rocker, and is the last song I really like.

Cream 4/10 I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but during the chorus it sounds like he's saying cream on me or something like that. That ruined this one for me. The music and vocals are ok, but I just can't get into this one.

Overall this is a worthy addition to the buckcherry catalogue, and to any Buckcherry fan's or fan of rock music's cd collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Butterfly, September 16, 2008
Buckcherry-Black Butterfly *****

To begin with, Black Butterfly is the bands best and strongest and most consistent album since their 1998 self titled debut album. Finding a nice balance between the overly produced and popish sounds of their previous album 15, and the hard rocking almost metal of their first two albums Buckcherry, and Time Bomb. Black Butterfly is the bands most concise album to date. While a eerie feeling tells me this won't sell very well, it still is a killer album.

'A Child Called It' and the album opener 'Rescue Me' are both inspired by the book A Child Called It. This shows growth for the L.A. rockers. Serious subject matters for Todd was previously getting high and laid. 'Too Drunk..' is classic Buckcherry and the guitar work from Keith Nelson and Steve D is incredible here and through out the album. 'Dreams' is what they have been trying to capture on songs like 'Babe' and 'Sorry' but just feel short of the mark until now.

The same sex, drugs, and rock n' roll we have come to know from Buckcherry is here but they seem to have matured where most L.A. bands hit ruts. Buckcherry is one of the strongest rock n' roll bands around today and Black Butterfly just might be their strongest album yet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy a few songs, not the album...., September 24, 2008
Look, I'm a huge BC fan. I've seen them 5 times (and would be the first in line to buy tickets), bought all their albums the-day-they-came-out, and think they are one of the strongest straight-up rock bands around. BUT - this album is NOT 5 stars worthy. Several of the songs were probably left-overs from Josh's crappy solo album and even with some glossing-up by Marti Frederiksen, they still suck. Even though its been a couple years since 15 came out, it still feels hurried and rushed through. Ok, some good news: Rescue Me is a strong lead and I hope it makes it as a single. Don't Go Away could be this album's Sorry. Too Drunk... is funny like Crazy [...] but I'm pretty sure it's on its last legs. 15 seemed like a fresh album and I'm still dumbfounded why Out Of Line didn't make it as a single. There isn't much fresh about this album. Maybe this is why I don't produce music or write for Rolling Stone. BUT, I love Buckcherry enough to say this album isn't very good. The album cover may be the coolest part about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as 15 but............, November 5, 2008
This review is from: Black Butterfly (Audio CD)
When I first listened to "Black Butterfly" I was completely disappointed. I thought "15" was an awesome record, and was hoping Buckcherry would push the envelope further to finally create a hard rock disc that would become the pinnacle of their career. To me, "Black Butterfly" plays it safe, and seemingly follows a similar pattern as "15". It left me a little disappointed, but I kept playing it, and you know what..... "Black Butterfly" has grown on me quite a bit since its release date. While it doesn't have the same impact on me as "15" did, it is still a good album, and one the band can be proud of.

The ought to have several hit singles as the following songs are highly listenable: "Rescue Me", "Too Drunk", "Tired of You", "Rose", "A Child Called It" and the sorry like "Don't Go Away". I can see most of these becoming new fan favorites.

The Bottom line: Give Black Butterfly a chance. It will grow on you. Recommended Listening!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Which edition should I buy?, September 7, 2009
This review is from: Black Butterfly (Audio CD)
I'm mad and confused. I've held off buying this CD. I really like this group and have all their other CD's. All the reviews here are from last years edition of this CD. This edition has Highway Star but does not have Too Drunk listed. So If I buy last year edition of BUCKCHERRY - BLACK BUTTERFLY. I can get the song Too Drunk but not Highway Star. If I buy the new edition I get Highway Star but not Too Drunk. Then there is the fan club edition which has 2 extra songs which both songs sound good but does not have Highway Star but it does have Too Drunk. So for me to get all these songs I have to buy all three edition. Or at least 2 editions. There is enough room on the CD to put all of these songs on one CD. So at this point I buy none. I'm mad. And it not just this group. This is happening more and more and it's a rip off to the fans.

Black Butterfly
Black Butterfly by Buckcherry (Audio CD - 2008)