Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on March 20, 2013
I use 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water and that is the max it will cook . I think it is misleading to call it a 14 cup rice cooker, I have no idea why they call it a 14 cup cooker. If you cook even one grain of rice more it bubbles over and makes a mess to clean up.
22 comments86 of 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2013
In a house with roommates it's nice to have reliable stuff that's affordable. We use this ALL the time. It is not the best but it does work fairly well. Better than stovetop still if you ask me! Some things to know:

Sometimes it will spit and sputter all over your counter so we aim the hole over the sink.

The measuring cup is not a full cup so keep that in mind. Found this out (the hard way) by using the supplied cup for measuring the rice and using a standard measuring cup for the water.

The bottom gets too hot, so I try to rotate the pot a few times while it's cooking and move the unit a bit to move things around to help with scorching.

For perfect rice I unplug the cooker as soon as it is almost down to no bubbling in the holes in the rice (you will see) - then remove the pot and put on a cool burner on the stove and let sit 5 mins or so to finish cooking.

If you do not unplug it while the rice finishes steaming at the end of the cycle, the heat plate stays too hot so if you did manage not to have scorched rice on the bottom, you will. Then you can plug it back in for the "keep warm" if needed for a short while - but this too will burn the rice on the bottom if you don't watch.

We avoid the bottom "layer" of rice and the rest is usually perfect.
22 comments42 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2013
When i purchased this rice cooker I gave it good ratings, however, just after 4 months, it has stopped working. the lights don't turn on and it dosen't heat. tried calling customer care but no one picks up calls. I cant return it also, as it is 4 months old. the warranty is a sham. avoid this and go for a better brand even if it costs you more.
22 comments28 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2013
Its an amazing rice cooker for the price. Very simple and straight forward. Cooks rice amazingly. However two small issues. The rice on the bottom can get a little extra brown, not burnt but brown and if you add to much water because its only covered by the glass some may splash out onto the counter top. Other than that its amazing.
0Comment26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2015
It arrived perfect. We did not have to use this for 2 weeks. It stopped working after 1st minute it started. Then I noticed the name of the brand "Black & Decker" which is not according to the real one, as I used this before. It seems that the seller sent me a FAKE rice cooker but took more price then it should be. If anyone buy this, then please check this after it arrives. I would like to return this item. But who will going to pay for the harassment. I have attached the picture of the trademark. Please be sure before buying this item..
review image
22 comments22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2013
This is very good.But it is can cook only 6-Cup without boil rice.I do not know why these people are calling 14-cup rice cooker.
22 comments14 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2015
Any tips on how to keep the steam from spouting out and bubbling out pot? Extremely unnecessarily messy. I used one cup of rice with two cups of water.
review image
77 comments20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2015
Great rice cooker for the money, as long as you have the ability to follow the simple directions provided. Apparently, many of those reviewing this product are unable or unwilling to read and follow directions. First of all, you must use the measuring cup provided to measure your rice. It is not an 8 oz cup. Second, you must measure the water by the lines marked inside the pot, not a measuring cup. Third, you must put the rice in the pot, THEN the water. If you used 6 cups (measured by cup provided) of rice, then add water to the pot until the level reaches the number 6 line. Fourth, you must leave the lid on through the entire cook time, PLUS 15 minutes after the "keep warm" light comes on. Only then will your rice be properly cooked. If you leave the rice in the pot using the keep warm feature for an extended length of time, stir the rice occasionally like the directions state, so it doesn't burn to the bottom. If you use the tools provided and follow the simple instructions included in the owner's manual, your rice will come out perfect. Your pot will not boil over. Your rice will not burn.
on August 26, 2013
I just got this as my first rice cooker. I've never had one but several other people I know use them all the time. I'm impressed with it in that it does a fine job. I had to leave before it was finished once time and the keep warm button worked, but there was a little crust at the bottom. I'm impressed with the non stick bowl. I didn't realize a rice paddle was included and it is clever how easily it can be stored right on the side so it doesn't get misplaced. I also tried steaming vegetables which worked pretty well. You have to watch the veggies though as they all take different times to reach perfection. Clean up is a dream. I think this is a good buy for the money!
on May 15, 2013
Whenever I am making a dish that I know I want rice with, I just pull out my rice-cooker, scoop in the rice, pour in the water, and let 'er rip. By the time I am done making my meal, my rice is done cooking, and is staying warm until we are ready to eat. I usually just take out the insert and put it on a pot-holder on the table and dip it straight from there, thus preventing dirtying up another dish. It makes the rice nice and fluffy. I love this cooker and I can see myself using it for years and years. I have also used the included steaming basket and was very pleased with it.
Tip: When the rice is done cooking, pour in a can of diced tomatoes and a little chili powder, stir around, and violia, you will have some very tasty tomato rice that goes great with any Mexican dish.