5.0 out of 5 stars Great handy DIY saw
Published on June 10, 2007 by Jeff Chambers

3.0 out of 5 stars Problem
Published on January 5, 2007 by J. Haindel

3.0 out of 5 stars Problem, January 5, 2007
This review is from: Black & Decker CHS6000 6-Volt Handisaw Cordless Powered Hand Saw (Tools & Home Improvement)
I got one of these saws for Christmas. It appeared well engineered and might even be handy. I charged it and took it to my workshop to experiment on a small 1" thick board. I drew a line on the board to make my cut and behold, I could not see the line! The plastic guard blocks any view to see where you are cutting! This makes the saw useless except for blind cuts. I liked the saw so I modified it by cutting away the first bar on the guard on the left side. (I am right handed) I can now see my line through the new opening. I used a Dremel tool with an abrasive wheel and it came out OK, but I still cannot believe this tool made it through engineering and whatever test B&D perform without them catching this obvious defect. I do not feel this modification makes the tool more dangerous. If you can get your finger into that little slot, the blade would pose more danger than the reciprocating mechanism.

The saw does perform well and is light weight. It is a little slow cutting due to it's slow speed and short stroke, but the fact that it is portable makes up for that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only if you must have a cord-free saw, February 27, 2008
I was tempted to use "Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy" as the title for this review, but I haven't tried any other battery-powered jigsaws for comparison. My old Black & Decker AC jigsaw (which I paid $15 for) is far superior in every way---except that it requires an AC outlet, and changing blades is a hassle. Changing blades on the Handisaw is quick and easy, requiring no tools---A+.

I wanted the Handisaw largely as a tree prunner---however, even with a pruning blade, it really cannot handle branches greater than 3/4"---and is painfully slow cutting even a 3/8" branch---wimpy, wimpy, wimpy. A switch-blade type manual pruning saw is faster and easier. I tried cutting a 1/2" length of galvanized electrical conduit (using the metal blade), and the saw repeatedly stalled---wimpy, wimpy, wimpy. My old AC jigsaw has never stalled.

Then too I find the basic design to be very annoying: There is an extra switch you have to depress with your thumb before the trigger will work (which fortunately is easily defeated with a chip of wood and 2" of masking tape). There is no "lock on" switch---so you can't take your hand off of the switch for a more secure grip (fortunately this can be defeated with a 1/2"x 1 1/2 rubber band from a bunch of broccoli). The trigger is 8 1/2" from whatever you are cutting, making it difficult to hold the blade where you want to cut (I normally hold jig-saws "by the business end" (near the blade) for precise control---but that is impossible with this saw (unless you defeat the trigger as described).

My cheapy AC jigsaw is variable speed---the Handisaw is not. So the Handisaw is hard to start at a precise point, almost always splinters wood, and almost always stalls in thin metal. Finally, as related by another reviewer---you can't see where you are cutting (although that too is fixible by cutting away a portion of the unnecessary plastic sheild around the blade. In summary, I use this tool only when I'm too lazy to string an extention cord for my AC jigsaw or saber-saw. But then---I'm embarassed to admit, that's most of the time.

Still, I wish it was more powerful.
I wish that it did not have the stupid lock-out switch.
I wish that it had a lock-on switch.
I wish that it was variable speed.
I wish that I could see the material I am cutting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great handy DIY saw, June 10, 2007
Jeff Chambers (San Ramon, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This tool is great around the house - it's easy to use, functional, and has more applications that you'd expect. I received it as a gift and figured I'd never use it. But the Handisaw proved to be a quick, easy solution to frequent chores and small projects around the house. I wouldn't use it for a major remodel but for small projects, it beats taking out the reciprocating saw or jig saw. Battery life is excellent and I've used it in mud/wet conditions w/o any problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Black & Decker CHS6000 Handisaw Cordless Powered Hand Saw, January 18, 2007
Good concept, but not enough power for any but the softest woods. I actually found it handier, with the right blade, for moderate pruning in the yard rather than for the dimensional lumber used in home repairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black&Decker hand saw, January 22, 2007
Received sooner than expected. Really like product. Easy for an older woman like me to use. Thank you

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing performance battery life, April 3, 2007
Peter F. Ferello (Floral Park, New York USA) - See all my reviews
i bought this saw with great anticipation..i would use it to cut out electrical device boxes in sheetrock and plaster..i went to use it for the first time this week and was badly disappointed..the charge didn't last through cutting 1 outlet box in plaster and wood lathe..i recharged for about 2 hours and tried it cuting a few boxes in sheetrock..again barely enough to finish..these were not heavy duty cuts(the rock was old 1/2")..i charged it for about 4 hours today..i will put it on charge first thing tomorrow for and hour or two and see what it can do.
4/6/2007 update..charged saw overnight battery performance improved marginally..still not very powerful maybe 10 minutes run time..
4/10/2007 update..charged the saw overnight and saw an improvement in performance..still by no means a powerhouse, but ok for light homeowner use i think..some other points after working with the saw..
visibility isn't that great..if you want to cut on a line, it's tough to line it up because of the saws design..also i found the safety button to be a real nuisance..

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as easy as it looks, March 8, 2007
I bought the saw to cut trim and small boards, but it was difficult to use. In order to keep enough pressure on the saw so it didnt want to bounce around the smaller 1/2 inch boards would break. It didn't want to cut 1 inch boards at all. On the good side it allows you to cut hard to cut shapes and changing the blade is simple.

Over all I would not buy this Item again unless it was under $20.

1.0 out of 5 stars I only gave this thing one star because it's the lowest you can go, but if I could rate lower I would, January 17, 2012
I've never given B&D a bad review, but there's a first for everything. My mom bought this thing about a year ago when I started working on replacing the flooring in our home. At first try it's an OK saw. As another poster pointed out the guard creates a blind spot when cutting. I was able to get around this buy adjusting myself around the pieces of flooring I was cutting. Yeah, it sucked, but overall the saw did the job as it was suppose to. Within a week I had the job done. So here it is about a year and a half later and I'm just now getting to the second floor of our home...and guess what, the saw that does it all did nothing. It would start up for a second and then quickly lose charge. I figured that maybe I didn't allow it enough time to charge. Gave it 4 full days, and just as before it would start up for a second and lose charge. By then I had realized that the batteries were just too old to hold a charge (which really sucks considering out of that year and a half I only used it for the first week). Then I thought that I'd just replace the battery pack and then recharge it. Awesome idea until I realized that the battery wasn't removable unless you unscrewed the entire thing. (Can you see where this is going?) So I unscrew it, open it up, only to find a battery pack with no item numbers, model numbers, nor labels, leading me to believe that the battery's not suppose to be replaceable by any mere man (or in this case woman). So then I figure I'll bite the bullet and send it back to B&D to replace...But low and behold this item's not listed on the B&D website. Lesson to be learned, unless you're out in the middle of the woods far away from an electrical outlet cutting down bushes with this piece of junk like the other reviewer was (Seriously, you can't cut butter with this thing in anything less than a full battery, so I don't know what she was talking about with the bushes), you might want to consider getting one with a plug.

1.0 out of 5 stars A total waste of time, July 2, 2011
I bought this item with the hope of being able to cut through half inch 1/2" PVC pipe since this can easily be considered light work. From the instance the blade made contact with the pipe, the housing that holds the saw's blade broke. This housing is made out of aluminum. What a waste of cash

5.0 out of 5 stars great item, December 16, 2006
This is a very handy item for the man who has everything. It comes from target, and is pkgd nicely, shipped quickly. Tthis tool really will cut through anything, thick tree branches, sheetrock, metal, wood...its very light weight & I think any man or woman would love it if they aredo it yourselfers!

Black & Decker CHS6000 6-Volt Handisaw Cordless Powered Hand Saw