Published on April 20, 2012 by Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Charger Contacts not built into Wall Mount
I haven't had this long so cannot yet comment on battery longevity. It seems very powerful compared to my old unit which has lasted 8 years but has to be replaced as it only holds charge for a couple of minutes.
Published on August 7, 2011 by Brian

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but the Lithium-Ion version of this Dustbuster is better, April 20, 2012
This review is from: Black & Decker CHV1410 Dustbuster 14.4-Volt Cordless Cyclonic Hand Vac (Misc.)
I borrowed this Dustbuster in order to compare it to the Black and Decker CHV1410L 14.4-Volt Lithium Ion Dust Buster that I recently purchased, which is the exact same except for the type of battery it uses. This Dustbuster uses a Nickel-cadmium (NiCad) battery, compared to a Lithium Ion (LIB) battery in the other version. I put them through the same testing and evaluated them on how well the products work as a handheld vacuum, and then how the two compared to each other. As vacuums, they both performed surprisingly well compared to handheld vacs from 5+ years ago, which I have always hated due to poor battery life and weak suction power. The main problem with older vacs, is that they suffer from "memory effect," which causes products that use NiCad batteries to lose power and charge over time. This is very prevalent with Dustbusters, which are typically used for short periods of time and then placed back in the stand to recharge, without letting the battery run completely down. The vacuum that I used for testing was only about 3 months old, but I definitely noticed the effect with it.

While I think the CHV1410 is a very nice Dustbuster and performs very well, unless you are willing to spend the time to take care of the battery (by waiting until it is completely drained before recharging it), I recommend spending a little bit more and purchasing the Black and Decker CHV1410L 14.4-Volt Lithium Ion Dust Buster, which gives you a longer chargeand more power in the long run. I have a review on that product which details the testing I did between the two and the advantages of it over this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dust Buster 14.4, April 28, 2011
I've had 2 Dust Busters for over 20 years. One in my kitchen and one in the bar down stairs. 20 years old and they worked fine. I got used to them running down for 20 seconds and then moving up to speed. Always liked the product. Then about a week ago I visited my daughter and she had a new one. The Dust Buster 14.4 with Cyclonic Action. Wow...it seriously sucked! Could not wait to order one from my friend Amazon. (I love this site) (and no, I don't work for them)! Ordered one and WOW, what a great product. I followed the instructions and charged it up for 24 hours then I used it until the battery died then charged it up again. I love this thing! Its extremely powerful, the long crevice tool has a brush on the end AND it extends about a foot longer if you want. First of all I went and cleaned the ceiling fan in our bedroom. Worked awesome without dragging out the big Vac. Great product and empty's easily. I'm buying another one for my boat where we are always leaving crumbs from toast after breakfast, yada yada yada. Great tool, the dust bin never comes off as long as you make sure the snaps are properly engaged ...and I would like to say that NASA originally came up with this product. Thanks NASA, Black and Decker and Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars When "This really sucks" is a good thing..., May 29, 2011
I've had a variety of hand-held vacs in the past & decided to upgrade beyond the most basic sort. It's fairly heavy but still easy to use since it's well-balanced. This is primarily a "pet" vac; bird seed, feathers, etc. on carpet & dog hair on tile floors and it works well for all those little messes. The suction is very strong and, even after 8-10 minutes of nonstop vacuuming I have yet to entirely drain the battery. I don't feel the little brush gizmo helps all that much but being able to pivot the head 90 degrees for snug spots is useful. Definitely a good value & I use it nearly every day. Extracting dog hair & little feathers from the filter/cup is a bit tedious-you either have to pick it out by hand or whack it on the side of the wastebasket (which you don't want to do indoors)but I imagine that'd be the case with most of these.

3.0 out of 5 stars Charger Contacts not built into Wall Mount, August 7, 2011
Brian (phoenix, az) - See all my reviews
The old style Dustbuster had contacts for the charger built into the wall mount, so once you hung it back on the mount it would charge. This model has a plug in the handle for the charger like a cordless screwdriver or other such devices for a mini-plug. The wall mount has a hokey groove in which the cord can be run but it doesn't hold well and comes out at an awkward angle to the front of the unit's handle. Thuis when you want to use it, you have to remove the plug from the unit and then take it off the wall. This is a hassle. Be sure you are aware of this. It is the reason I give it 3 stars.
Also it is somewhat heavier and unbalanced due to the long 'snout' type nozzle but I will probably get used to that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and light vacuum but sounds like a jet engine, June 17, 2012
After eight years our previous Dustbuster gave up the ghost. We finally settled on the CHV1410 Dustbuster after trying out a couple of other vacuums, including an 18 volt Black & Decker Pivot Vac.

The vacuum cleaner is very light, and its nozzle feels a bit flimsy. However, the vacuum is very powerful and can pickup even big pieces of dirt, crumbs, etc. We have owned this vacuum for over a month, using it daily, and have not noticed a drop off of power even after using the vacuum for several minutes.

I have two complaints about this vacuum. First it is really loud, it sounds like a jet engine. The volume is much greater than that of a full size vacuum, although it is not as loud as the 18 volt Black & Decker vacuum we tried out earlier. Second, I really dislike the position of the open waste canister button. It is located just in front of the on/off switch. I have more than once pressed it instead of the on/off switch. As a result, all the contents of the waste canister ended up on the floor (AAAAAGGGGHHH!!!).

To sum it up, yes it works really well. However, the whine is so loud that I wonder if it can damage my hearing, and the bad location of the open canister button force me to give it only three out of five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best hand-held vacuum I've ever had, July 15, 2011
JC (Gettysburg, PA) - See all my reviews
The suction power on this is fantastic. Great size. Easy to use and to store. Attached upholstery brush is great. Love the long nozzle. Easy to empty and clean.

2.0 out of 5 stars Short Life!, February 20, 2012
This Dustbuster hand vac seems to be the leading hand vac available. So, I have been pretty disappointed to find that the battery life is rather poor.
We got one for standard kitchen clean-up: kids crumbs, etc. The Dustbuster seemed good at first, with good suction, good nozzle reach, and a rechargeable battery. However, the rechargeable battery did not last. Even though we took care to run the rechargeable battery down all the way before recharging, after about 4 months the battery charge life got noticeably shorter. It continues to get shorter and shorter, and now 13 months after we purchased it, the battery life is literally under a minute (after charging for 24 hours).
It is very inconvenient that the battery cannot be replaced. My only option is getting a whole new Dustbuster...and it is only about 1 year old!

2.0 out of 5 stars NI-CD, Very Bad Battery, August 5, 2011
I Purchased this unit hoping it'd be a good choice, But come to find out that it's got the old Ni-Cd Batteries that are horrible if you don't make sure to run it till it dies, or else you'll end up damaging the battery and making so that it'll only last you a couple minutes, which mine did. I hope that mine was an already returned vac and that not all of them last as long as mine did, cause I wasn't able to finish one flight of stairs before it ran dead on me on a 24 hour charge. Get a vac that has Ni-Mh or Li-Ion batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHV1410, August 6, 2011
I have had 3 other dust bunnie sucker uppers 2 where Dustbusters - this one is the best yet - - if you follow the directions and charge for 24 hours and run untill in runs down -- after that it runs for more than 20 mins - or so long you give up trying to run it out of juice - - and it is a sucker in a good way - I like the filter set up - the last 2 I had has the pleated type and is a pain - this one is washable - and for the 2 year warranty - I had to call BLack and Decker on one of my other units that had a problem before the 2 year warranty was up - and with out a fuss thay sent me a new one to replace it - so I would have to say - Buy it - but don't think this unit will save the world - it's only a dustbuster made for picking up smaller jobs that is to much doesn't rate get out the big plug-in monster - this also works great in the car - - I say buy it but I'm only a "man"

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy nozzle, April 30, 2011
The suction of this vac is fairly good, however the nozzle that is detactable for desposing of waste, or can adjust to verticle postions, is very flimsy and falls off with the slightest bump. Sometime it falls off and dumps everything you have vacummed. I would easly rate this a 4 if the nozzel was a little more sturdy, but it is very frustrating to use when it keeps falling off.