3,152 Reviews
 (1,861)

4,926 of 5,030 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great design, features, and most importantly, suction.
Published on November 5, 2011 by Benjamin D. Branford

1.0 out of 5 stars Great suction; two huge downsides
I bought this because of the increased power. Unfortunately, it has other shortcomings:

Noise - This is a lot like working around an unshielded jet engine. Much louder and high frequency "scream" than other Dustbusters I have used. Ear protection would be advised.
Published on June 23, 2012 by kevin doyle

4,926 of 5,030 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great design, features, and most importantly, suction., November 5, 2011
This review is from: Black & Decker CHV1510 Dustbuster 15.6-Volt Cordless Cyclonic Hand Vacuum (Misc.)
I've read all the reviews and I'm here to clean up those who have trash-talked this dustbuster. I do not work for Black & Decker or Amazon.com. I also do not hold any stock or interest in the aforementioned companies, but I do have an interest in spending my money wisely. So, when other consumers write misinformed, misguided, inaccurate portrayals of a product that is otherwise perfect, I feel the need to scrub their comments until all the residue is gone. Here's what I found:

To begin with, no rechargeable hand-held vacuum is designed to last anywhere near an hour without recharging, and no rechargeable item with such a large battery pack will recharge in mere minutes. So, for those who make this claim, they are silly-heads. For the reviews that state it only operates between a few seconds and a few minutes, you obviously have a rare lemon. I'm quite certain B&D would not knowingly produce a 30-second dustbuster. Quit complaining and exchange it.

As a side note, for those who wish to dustbust their entire fleet of autos, B&D as well as other manufacturers sell hand-held vacuums with cigarette lighter receptacle plugs that are powered by your vehicle. Those will last you until your car battery dies. Otherwise, quit being lazy and pull out the wet/dry vac, we all know a dustbuster isn't going to completely clean that Brillo-style vehicle carpet anyway.

Second, at just over three pounds (not the 4.6 pounds of the entire box + contents), the reviewers who wrote that this appliance was too heavy must be drunk... which for comparison, your average bottle of wine weighs more than this dustbuster. Also, the guy who claimed he got a hand cramp after using the dustbuster a few minutes probably needs to pull out the full-sized vacuum in order to develop some muscular endurance. I, for one, would not readily admit this weakness on one of the most popular consumer websites.

Third, I don't know why people are "scrubbing" surfaces with their dustbuster. I was under the impression that it was a vacuum cleaner, not a rag, sponge, or scouring pad. If your "scrubbing" causes the extension to retreat back into the nozzle sheath, then quit riding your dustbuster like a pogo-stick. This nozzle has a locking mechanism at the base. Go look at it. You see it now... that little arrow... push down on it. Wow! Amazing! I've tested it using my bathroom scale. It takes more than 25 pounds of direct pressure, yes 25 POUNDS, to override that lock. If you can't figure out this simple device, you should probably not be using any electrical piece of equipment.

Next, this model has one of the highest rated suction power of all battery operated hand-held vacuums. This is one of the main reasons it was given such high marks by Consumer Reports (again, I have no ties to this company). If you can't pick it up with the 15.6V of power provided, then it was never designed to be picked up by a hand-held vac.

Finally, not that this is even worth mentioning, but for those who complained about the charging method... really? It's the same as every other rechargeable item that you probably now own. Take "Adaptor A" and plug it into "Port B." Not that hard. But there are so many people that have complained that the recharging prong is no longer built into the docking bracket. Oh, the humanity!

As I stated in my opening, I am very particular about how my money is spent. I compared and tested all the available models I could find during a month-long search and feel the $45.00 spent on this dustbuster has been well worth the price thus far. Good luck on your search, and remember, it's a dustbuster, not a teleportation device. Don't expect your science-fiction dreams to come true while you're cleaning up cookie crumbs. If you still feel like complaining, pull out the old broom, dustpan, sponge, and bucket... cleaning the old-fashioned way will be the only thing that sucks better than this dustbuster (pun intended). Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but for about $50?, April 16, 2011
I picked this up locally at Target because I wanted to be able to return it just in case it sucked at sucking.

After having this for a month now, for about $50, you really can't go wrong with this. We brought our newborn home a month ago and I wanted to have something around to be able to pick up the cat+dog fur tumbleweeds around the house and generally keep it a bit cleaner. Our full size vacuum weighs some 15+lbs and it's just too heavy and cumbersome to bust out for daily quick cleanups.

PROS:
+ Lightweight and easy to handle; well balanced
+ Powerful suction - the Dyson handhelds must be off the charts because this is already pretty strong as it is
+ Power toggle stays on
+ On-board attachments
+ Holds its charge very well - perfect for cleaning around the house and on the stairs - haven't had it lose charge on me mid-cleanup yet and it holds its charge for 2-3 passes for me. Charge time really isn't an issue since I don't plan on using it for extended periods of time in the first place.

CONS:
- Fur can be difficult to remove from the dustbin - it doesn't just come right out. I need to stick my fingers up there; yuck
- The built-in extension wand doesn't stay up with aggressive use. B&D could have easily solved this with a simple latch mechanism for a few cents more.
- Can't take other attachments, which wouldn't really be a problem except...
- Extension wand is too short. I'm average height and I need to bend down to use it. It wouldn't be so bad if it could accept attachments that would extend it to allow usage from a standing position but as it is, you'll probably spend a lot of time hunched over

It should be noted that we have hardwood throughout so the full sized vacuum rarely gets used now except for the area rugs. Overall, the house is slightly cleaner now simply due to more frequent vacuuming of the dog and cat fur rolling around the ground. A great value at about $50 and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it or recommend it. That said, there are definitely a few small fixes that the B&D engineers could add to make this a 5 star product.
==============================
UPDATE: Now that the price has dropped well below $50, I think this is a CAN'T MISS product. Seriously, it's one powerful handheld vacuum for not a whole lot of money; you literally CAN NOT go wrong with this purchase (unless you're old or have lower back problems I guess...). I've also figured out that it's a LOT easier to empty the bin by removing the motor part (you can unmount the motor or the wand; if you unmount the motor part and remove the filter, everything just slides right out of the collection bin). Giant, massive balls of cat and dog fur mostly just slides right out.

If you're worried about the charge time or the smallish collection bin, at this price? Buy two and you're good to go and you're still saving WAAAAY more than buying a Dyson!

Whatever shortcomings it has, they can be forgiven at this price point for the sheer convenience of having such a powerful little vacuum around. I've used it for several months and I can't imagine how we went so long lugging around the gigantic full-sized vacuum for daily cleanups!
==============================
UPDATE 2/14: We've used it for almost 3 years now and the battery is now starting to wear out. It doesn't hold a charge and immediately loses suction. It's disappointing that it seems that the battery cannot be replaced as it means that I have to junk the whole unit when only the battery is done for. We've since added another Li-Ion Dustbuster and a Dyson DC59 as well. I would still recommend this unit, but B&D would be wise to design it so that the battery can be replaced (or offer some sort of exchange program?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excessive compulsive cleaner's dream, February 6, 2011
An excessive compulsive clean-freak woman had to have had her hand in designing this vac. On a scale of 1-10 it's an 11! Thank you Black and Decker for coming out with the 1st cordless hand vac with the power of a corded one. It is so darn handy yet gets the job done. Need I say more? Yes, I do. The fact that all I have to do to get into my deep crevices or to use the brush is pull out the tools (instead of hunt for them in my closet) right on the nozzle is absolutely ingenious! Oh and that vented, hard plastic sleeve that goes over the washable filter - well, it's just clever. No more crud sticking to the filter to clog things up. t just slides right off!!!! You people at Black and Decker that designed this one deserve a huge raise! Finally, a GREAT hand vac! I love, love, love it! It's perfect. You thought of EVERYTHING. Well, almost everything. Now if you could just put it on automatic pilot to seek out the dust and crud ... Oh, well, you can't have everything. You get the idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars High power, easy to use and clean, January 27, 2011
Storylover (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
We are very hard on our cordless hand vacs--they get carted all around our house by our energetic boys, and used to pick up everything from dirt to insects to sweepings from the floor. I'm impressed by the power of this vacuum, and have been pleased with how easy it is to keep clean. It comes apart into 3 pieces pretty easily--a nozzle area, the main cannister area, and the motorized portion. This makes it a snap to get things clean and to empty into the trash. I like the fact that the brush portion is attached to the front nozzle, so I don't have to look for it when my kids cart the vacuum away. It folds out and snaps into place, very handily and easily. The machine is not too light and not too heavy. The charging mechanism plugs into the handle, and there is a simple light to tell you it is charging. On the whole, I prefer this over a charger into which the machine slides, like a couple of my older vac's have. I'm considering purchasing a second one of these excellent machines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes cleaning a snap!, January 3, 2011
I love, love this hand vac! It has good suction, it's easy to use, and best of all the brush and crevice tools are permently attached so there's no wondering where the toddler put the crevice tool that he was using as a sword the last time you saw it. I used it to vacuum out my mini van and it did a super job. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spider Webs, August 31, 2011
We live in the country - Dusty and spiders - lots of spiders. Our spiders are normal spiders types (defining normal loosely). However, we've got more of them than city folks, lots more and everyone of them spins webs. Not only do they spin webs, but they abandon them after a time and spin more. Add to that an older home with textured ceilings and you've got "ugly" - ugly in every corner.

We've tried everything including vacuum cleaners (you lift it with one arm and clean the ceiling with the other - till your arms give out). Then along comes this little Black & Decker Dustbuster Black & Decker CHV1510 Dustbuster 15.6-Volt Cordless Cyclonic Hand Vacuum. It's a hand vacuum with some pretty good recommendations so what the heck - we brought it.

WOW!. Honestly, we've got an upright, a canister, a shop vac and a cheap hand held that came as a gift one Christmas and none work even remotely as well. This came after a days worth of charging as I set out to bust the webs. And bust the webs it did. This little guy is powerful enough to strip a web from the ceiling and the spider with it (sorry about what follows, but we shoot a little bug spay down it's throat, with the motor off, when we're done).

Anyway, I finished all three bedrooms, three bathrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, some plants, a fireplace made from lava stones in one session. I did that and a small area where our toddler grandson had breakfast and it was still running as hard as it was when I started. When I was done so were the spiders and their webs and it sounded like it had plenty of charge left.

Cleanup was the second best thing about this vacuum because everything comes apart easily, is hard plastic and washable. It's not only easy to break down but nearly foolproof to put back together again. I also liked (as did many) the attached features since I can't imagine ever finding them again if I had to store them.

If I have any negatives and it's minor at best - it's a bit hefty (weight wise) but I'm not sure that is a complaint so much as me exceeding my limits cleaning all the ceilings in one session.

Overall, I found this unit even better than I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dustbuster CHV1510 deserves more than 5 Stars!!, March 24, 2011
This is hands-down the best Dustbuster ever designed. I've been a avid Dustbuster enthusiast since they started making them decades ago. Every few years I upgrade to a new model and usually appreciate the new features and increased power. But this year I hit the jackpot with the CHV1510. The suction is terrific for its size, the batteries and voltage deliver long-lasting performance per charge -- the longest EVER!! -- and the totally redesigned body and features make this one awesome little tool.

Suction and long-lasting power are always first on my list, but a close second is ease of cleaning, and the CHV1510 takes the cake for clean-ability. The clear waste-barrel comes off with a click and BOTH ends open up so you can thoroughly clean the barrel. The filter and pre-filter are well designed, work great, and they are ALSO easy to clean.

Other features that finally make me totally happy with a Dustbuster are (1) an on-off switch that is actually easy to work with a flick of my thumb; (2) an excellent design for an on-board crevice tool that simply slips out instantly, ready for use and then retracts with the touch of a finger; (3) an on-board brush that flips down and locks in place when needed, (4) a narrower front-end nozzle that makes it far easier to get into tight spaces than any previous Dustbuster model, and (5) the front-end nozzle rotates with push-button ease to change the angle for easier maneuvering.

This is without a doubt the best designed Dustbuster ever produced. And it WORKS!!

If anybody from Black & Decker reads this, I'd like to pass on one single tip to make the next version of this fantastic tool even better. The wall-mount bracket is fine and functional as is, but one improvement would be to make it a little larger so there would be room on the underside to wrap up all the unneeded power-charger-cord and keep it out of the way.

I loved this model so much I bought 4 of them and retired all my old Dustbusters. I have a big house and several dogs and keep one handy in every traffic area in the house so I can easily keep up with dog hair and miscellaneous specks they track into the house endlessly.

If I could give the Dustbuster CHV1510 twice as many stars, I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for cleaning up small messes., February 6, 2012
I've read all the good and bad review and did a lot of research before deciding to purchase this unit. I can say I am not disappointed at all. Most of the stuff people write in negative reviews I have found not to be true. Its almost like they are very dissatisfied with the product for whatever reason and start making up stuff. For example:
1. the "eject" button is too close to "on" button. Yeah its true but I have NEVER pushed the eject button on the accident as it is pretty far out there, to push it you really have to know what you want to push. And I have long fingers too.
2. The sliding part slides back when I vacuum. Not true at all, if you make sure it locks in, it will not slide, in order to retract it you have to squeeze it in the middle right where it locks.
3. The unit doesnt even work for 5 minutes. Mine stayed on for 15 minutes before any loss in power. And you have to remember, this vac is powerful and runs 15.6 volt, if you want to vacuum for half an hour buy a corded one.
4. It has no suction. Actually it has lots of suction and up to this point I was always able to vacuum everything I tried.
5. Couldnt even vacuum out my car. I did vacuum out my car and the trunk and still had charge left.
I can keep going on and on but instead I will just summarize everything in a few following short paragraphs.
People, you are buying a $50 piece of equipment, but expect it to work like $1000 piece of equipment. I can say that this vacuum is perfect for cleaning up small messes my kids make.
If I had a choice of going to Buffalo Wild Wings (<--substitute your favorite place here) with my family once and spending $50 in one hour on food I will dispose of the next day, or buying this handy vac that saved my carpet, tile and time on numerous occasions, I would definitely go with the vacuum that already lasted me 2 months. And all that for $50? You just cant beat it.
I cannot stress this enough, keep your expectations to an average and you will definitely be satisfied, just remember the value of this purchase; $50 can last you at least a year with this vac or a few hours if you decide to take your family out to eat.
And finally, if you still have any questions you can email me @ shaitan-2002@yandex.ru

1.0 out of 5 stars Great suction; two huge downsides, June 23, 2012

Stamina - The upside to the noise problem is that it doesn't last long - A full overnight charge will get you no more 5 minutes of use before it is completely discharged and the batteries dead. At about the 2 minute mark, the noise and suction begin to fall until it fades completely to black about 3 minutes later. I managed to vacuum the cargo bed of my SUV; The front and rear seating areas had to wait as the Dustbuster had gone on break.
Charging cradle - none. just a wall bracket to hold it The charger is completely separate.
Nozzle - it has a slide out nozzle at the mouth that will not stay locked in if you push rather than pull across carpeting. The constant collapsing means a frequent loss of reach. If you can live with it being permanently extended, duct tape should do the trick.

Bottom line: If you are deaf, and need a hand vacuum with two minutes of great suction - this will do the trick. Otherwise......not so much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sporadic Battery Life, October 25, 2012
The directions say it can be left charging when not in use, so I do. That was one of the reasons I purchased this hand vac. However, I find that sometimes the charge will only last 5 minutes. After experimenting I discovered that if I let the battery die occasionally and then let it charge overnight the battery works great again and lasts 15+ minutes.

Rate and Discover Movies