on November 26, 2011
I bought this coffee maker when our Mr. Coffee maker quit working after 6 months. I was very skeptical to purchase another "simple" coffee maker and did a lot of research on more expensive options. Ultimately, I purchased this maker because I needed my morning coffee and was willing to invest in a cheaper model while I finished my research on my "dream" coffee maker. We've been using this maker for about 2 weeks and I am very impressed! We make one pot of coffee each day and the sneak-a-cup feature works perfectly.... no leaks whatsoever! My husband used to dribble coffee all over the counter with the previous maker, but this one hasn't leaked during pouring at all! I also love the shower style water spout. Other makers I've owned had a movable spout that seemed to always be in the way. It brews coffee quickly and the flavor is quite good too! It's simple to program and the 2 hour auto shutoff is the ideal timeframe for our family. Plus, it keeps the coffee hot enough for the full 2 hours so that, even with cream added, the temperature is perfect for drinking.

I've postponed my search for a more expensive maker because this little dream machine is already meeting my needs! Thank you Black and Decker for making a simple and functional coffee maker!!!

UPDATE: 4 months later. I STILL love it! After a daily pot of coffee for 4 months straight, this coffee maker is still working perfectly. Just as new! Buy this and you won't be disappointed.

2nd UPDATE: As of January 2014, this coffee maker is STILL going strong. Still functions like new. We've run two vinegar maintenance/cleaning cycles since we have really hard water. The sneak a cup feature still works as well as all the other buttons and features. I LOVE this coffee maker. Don't waste your money on a super expensive coffee maker when this one will do the same thing.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 28, 2011
After having 2 expensive Cuisinart DCC-1200 coffee makers die, I needed a replacement. I found this one locally for an amazingly low price. The unit is smaller than the Cuisinart, and easier to use. It is easy to fill with water and coffee. Even though it is not shown as a feature, it does have an automatic shut off after 2 hours. It does have a clock and programmable timer so you can wake to brewed coffee. There is no audible alert to tell you the coffee is brewed, or shutting off, but that really seemed unnecessary anyway. It's pretty easy to tell when it stops brewing.

As for the quality of the brewed coffee, so far so good. I do think that the Cuisinart was a little better, but it may be too soon to really say, it has only been used for 2 pots of coffee so far.

Others seem to complain about the pot dripping when pouring, this is NOT true, this thing doesn't spill a drop. It is actually better in this regard than the Cuisinart that it replaced. So unless you are a gorilla, I can't see how you will have a problem. Really, it has maybe half a drop at most left on the spout. You can tap it into the cup if you like, or just leave it, it is not even enough to drip. There are many reviews on Amazon for this and the essentially identical similar models complaining about how horrible it drips, and how their whole counter if filled with coffee. Either they are gorillas, or they are simply writing negative reviews for some reason. It absolutely lives up to the drip free claims, it works, and works well.

I can't speak for the long term reliability of the product as I just got it last night and made coffee with it the first time this morning. However, while it would be a major inconvenience if it died, I could buy 8 or 9 of them for the cost of the Cuisinart! It cost less than the "free" warranty replacement from Cuisinart would have.

The nearly identical DLX1050B was rated a best buy by a major consumer ratings magazine.

Some of the few negatives:

1. It didn't come with a permanent "gold" filter. This was pretty minor and I picked up one at the store the same time I bought the coffee maker for less than $5. There are several available on Amazon. Just choose the basket type, not the cone/Mellita style.

2. No back up power for the clock at all. If the lights blink, even briefly the clock will reset. The Cuisinart would withstand outages of at least a few seconds which covered the occasional light blink during a storm. The best was my old Braun that would work for almost half an hour without power, but sadly Braun doesn't have coffee makers anymore it seems otherwise I would buy it instantly.

3. No adjustments for brew strength, pot warmer temperature, or option for 4 cups or less, or turn off time. None of these seem a big problem, on coffee makers that had these features I left them at the nominal setting anyway. The small pot brew option I did use a few times, but I also expect that it will brew a small pot just fine without that option.

4. No water filter. For me this was of no value as I use filtered water to fill the coffee maker anyway. If you use only tap water this could be a bigger deal though. Keep in mind though that the coffee makers that do have filters have fairly small, expensive filters that will need to be replaced. An external filter is probably cheaper in the long run, and you can use if for more than just coffee. The filter is also a source of failure as well. The Cuisinart had a filter, and even though I filled the coffee maker with water from an Reverse Osmosis filter, the filter ended up getting clogged with coffee grounds from the times that it overflowed from the brew basket into the water compartment and needed replacement. I will note too that there is much more space between the brew compartment and the water reservoir so even if the brew compartment did overflow it is less likely to fill the reservoir with coffee grounds.

5. After only 2 pots it is soon to tell, but I do think that the Cuisinart coffee tasted a little better.

6. The appearance is fine to myself and my wife. This unit is a glossy black plastic with a some shiny silver trim. It is also available in white. To us, this looks just fine, certainly not something to be ashamed of in any way. However the Cuisinart was available in a Stainless look and a Black Chrome look. I actually had one of each color. When clean they were attractive, but both, especially the Black Chrome showed every finger print, even spot of water, anything, so in real use it didn't look good all the time. I expect that the glossy plastic will show finger prints and smudges as well, but nothing like the Black Chrome of the Cuisinart. While it may not look nearly as attractive, textured plastic solves all of these issues, but most coffee makers tend to be shiny.

Also be aware that there are several near identical models. You may prefer them, have better availability, or at least be able to read more reviews. It would be nice if Amazon would let you link reviews for similar products. Anyway here are links to help:
* The same device in White color: Black & Decker CM1050W 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, White
* A nearly identical model: Black & Decker DLX1050B 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker with Glass Carafe, Black

Again, this appears to be a great value. It's not necessarily the best coffee maker, but for the price that I was able to get it for locally it is an amazing value. Even if you just need a coffee maker to replace a failed one while considering what else to buy this could fill the bill. A few trips to Starbucks saved would easily pay this off.

UPDATE January 21, 2013: This is just an update to say that this coffee maker is still going strong. It basically still works like new. The carafe has some discoloration/stuff around the metal band from repeated dishwasher washes, but otherwise mostly still looks OK too. As for dripping, still not a problem. Once or twice over the year a few drops, literally a few drops fell from the brew section onto the carafe heater when removing the carafe. Really this is far less of a problem than on the Cuisinart it replaced, meaning it simply isn't a problem.

This coffee maker has been in service now for about 13 months. Most days it makes at least one pot of coffee, and on weekends occasionally 2 or more pots a day. It has outlasted the second Cuisinart by something around 5 months, and near what the first Cuisinart lasted. As I said it is still going strong with no signs of problems. Again, it only cost a fraction of what the Cuisinart cost, so if it died today it would have been a tremendous value. After over a year of use my wife and I are still happy, still comment on how it outlasted the very expensive Cuisinart, and would likely buy it all over again. I can still continue to recommend it without any reservation. While it perhaps may not be the absolute best coffee maker, it is absolutely a tremendous value.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My old coffee maker broke and I went looking for a new one, I had a $60 limit. I was reading reviews of coffee makers and one reviewer said something like, "hot water poured over grounds, why spend a fortune"? I realized the reviewer was right; that really is all there is to drip coffee makers. This pot serves HOT coffee but no scalded taste and keeps the coffee hot on the warmer. I did notice the coffee was not as hot after the first cup but it's still on the hot side of warm. Read the instructions to set up the auto maker function, it's not intuitive. The water pours in easily on either side of the grounds basket. For me if there is one negative thing it's that when you poor the water in you must pull the unit out from under the overhead cabinets, the water reservoir lid in the up position won't fit under the cabinet. It's cheaper at Wal-Mart.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this for my husband to keep in his home office. It has all the basic features of more expensive coffee makers. The clock can be set to allow for programming a brew time, though we may or may not put that to much use. For the price, it's nice to have the option. It is easy to set the clock time and brew time. The buttons are almost flush with the front surface, just slightly raised. This makes for easy cleaning with a rag. Brew time and noise level are average. The carafe spout makes for adequate pouring, though we have owned a B&D coffee maker in the past that had a large square lip that made pouring super easy with virtually no dripping. Can't say that about this one, but then virtually all other coffee maker carafes drip while you pour them. Sure wish they would start designing them better. I found that filling the carafe with water and then pouring it in the water tank was a bit messy, so I now use a large plastic cup for filling it. Much neater.

This coffee maker has the sneak-a-cup feature that allows you to remove the carafe briefly during brewing to pour yourself a cup if you can't wait. The little lever makes contact with the carafe lid and stops the dripping. I have had coffee makers in the past with this feature, and I will tell you the problem you might have with it. If you don't have the carafe set perfectly in place on the heat plate, the lid does not make contact with the little lever it does not engage. The water fills up the coffee filter and then overflows all over your kitchen counter and floor. For this reason, we have always removed that little lever and decided we could live without the sneak-a-cup feature. After you have to clean up that mess a couple of times, you might like this handy hint about removing the lever. It serves no other purpose than to allow for removal of the carafe during brewing.

The other concern I have with this style of coffee maker is the fact that the "controls" or buttons are on the very front of the unit. Most of them are designed this way, so I'm not pointing out a unique design flaw here. Unfortunately, after you have dripped or spilled water and/or coffee on electrical controls enough times, they will short out. You have to spend a lot more money for a coffee maker that has its controls in a different location, so just plan on occasionally having to buy a new one from time to time if you opt for this design.

Now for the flaw: For the price, I think this is a good coffee maker, and I would have given it 5 stars except for one design flaw that I feel is unique to this one. Even though there is a 2-hour auto-off feature, we tend to go through a pot before the 2 hours are up. We also occasionally pour the coffee into a thermos to take on the road. In this case, we need to remember to turn off the coffee pot to prevent the last bit of coffee sitting there scorching in the bottom. This particular model has a very tiny green light that is the ONLY indicator that the hot plate is still turned on. It looks much like the tiny green light that tells you the time/alarm is set to "PM". It is really easy to not realize that you have left the coffee maker on. Thank goodness for the 2-hour auto-off, but that doesn't change the fact that most coffee makers have a large, bold red or green light.

Overall, however, I would still have to say that this is a very good, inexpensive coffee maker for your basic needs.
on June 14, 2012
I bought this coffee maker and a month later it was broken. The water would not filter through. I contacted Black and Decker customer service who told me my product was under warranty and could be replaced. I thought, thats great! I thought wrong. First of all, after they told me I was covered under warranty and I submitted the information they requested they dropped off the radar. I emailed 5 times in 3 weeks with no response! The last email I sent I requested to be forwarded to a manager. It seemed as though they were waiting for my warranty period to run out before the responded!!!! When I finally received a response, they told me that I would have to cut the cord off and send it in along with a check for $7.50!!! Are you kidding me? I already paid $30 for it and it broke a month later, now you want MORE of my money to replace YOUR faulty product? NOT A SNOWBALLS CHANCE BLACK AND DECKER!!!! In a world where consumer purchases rely so heavily on customer service, and product reviews I was surprised to find out that not only were they expecting me to pay for the bubble envelope and the extra stamps it would take to send the cord in, but they also want me to pay for the shipping of my replacement!!! Worst customer service ever. Even if I didnt have to harass and badger the company to death to get them to respond to me after they offered a replacement, expecting me to pay for YOUR product malfunction is unbelievable. I told Black and Decker they just lost a customer for life and got a Mr. Coffee instead. Couldnt be happier with that choice.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 6, 2011
I got this for a great price at a local retailer, it is essentially the same as the DLX1050B which a certain magazine rated as 77/100. It is the only coffee pot rated so high for less than 3-5 times the price I paid. It is 975 watts, this fact is never included in any product description for some reason. It brews hot. I have it in a trailer where it is making 8-12 pots a day in a work environment. I swear I'll update this in 2 weeks when our project is over and let you know how it has held up. It looks great and is easy to use. If you aren't a wingnut, it pours without dripping, just be patient with it and don't expect it to fill your travel mug in 3.8 milliseconds or less.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is my 1st B&D coffee-maker. I recently purchased locally for an exceptionally low price (Amazon has been alerted). I like this coffemaker so far. It was well packaged. Unit is quite tall, so placement under cabinets may be problematic ( water-filling, steam, etc.. ).

This unit has identical features and is a very similar in design to B&D's DLX1050W (or B) models ( check out those reviews ). Only visible difference that I notice is in the shape of the control-buttons.

The coffeemaker features I like are : the bright-LED time display, programmable brew-time, steal-a-cup, 2hr shut-off and the water reservoir (easy access to refill & removeable parts for easy cleaning).

The features I don't like : View port for water-reservoir (on right side only & difficult to read). Control buttons seem fragile (prone to early failure). Carafe glass seems thin & fragile. Steal-a-cup mechanics seem failure prone ( as in ... brewing-coffee overflowing from filter ).

Coffemaker quickly makes a nice hot pot of great smelling & tasting coffee.

Note: Before brewing the 1st pot of coffee, I suggest you first run a vinegar-water solution through the unit, followed by a plain tap water brew-cycle to remove any manufacturing residues, smells or tastes.

It has been reported that the 2-yr B&D warranty is "sketchy", but I read that some retailers insist that the mfr. honor stated warranty w/o charge to consumer (imagine that?).

Like most coffemakers in this price range/class, they are not built to last long (i.e. planned obsolescence). I hope this one suprises me. My last coffee maker (P-S 43571) lasted only 10 months and nearly started a fire.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 22, 2011
Excellent coffee maker. It's simple to use and it makes fresh, delicious coffee every time. It is also designed so that it is as drip free as possible. This coffee maker stays cleans for a very long time before you have to wipe it down. 2 Thumbs up.....a great machine, and great for the price as well.
on January 3, 2012
Bought this one to replace my old one that quit working. This one fills the bill! It is reasonably priced and it makes a great cup of coffee! It has a high brewing temp, which is a must for me. I recently purchased another coffee maker of a different brand and returned it after the first use, as the coffee brewed barely warm. This maker brews a steaming hot cup of coffee and keeps it hot. Best little coffee maker I have come across and an exceptionally good price! I will be sticking with Black and Decker!
on April 17, 2012
As other reviewers have mentioned, coffee grounds end up in with your coffee, and the basket won't seat itself properly most of the time, so in order to close the lid, you have to finagle the basket around until it is in the exact place it needs to be. Presently, this coffee maker is in the garage awaiting a trip to the trash by the next person to walk by it. After about 2 months, (I don't know why I put up with it even that long), it stopped working properly. It took about 10 min to make even one cup of coffee. My husband checked it over, cleaned even the tiniest bit of grounds from it, and it still wouldn't work again. Worst coffee maker ever!