5.0 out of 5 stars Great homeowner's helper
Published on December 16, 2010 by Joe Bagadonuts

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent General Reference
Published on April 14, 2012 by Erin Epperson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great homeowner's helper, December 16, 2010
This review is from: Black & Decker Codes for Homeowners: Electrical Codes, Mechanical Codes, Plumbing Codes, Building Codes (Paperback)
I have a very old house and find myself crossing over all areas of maintenance. I am not a professional electrician, plumber or contractor; but I am confident in my skills and comfortable with taking on most tasks. Having a multi-subject guidebook to check the codes and proper configurations is indispensable. Swapping out a 40-60 year old 3-way light outlet, and all the switches, to a 4-way configuration is not something I do every day. This book provides great guidance and excellent drawings of every configuration I needed in my home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with good information and lots of graphics, March 9, 2011
MK "MKOSU04" (Farmington Hills, MI) - See all my reviews
I'm a homeowner and an engineer... I do work around my house (wiring, electrical, woodworking, etc) and consider myself fairly knowledgeable as a handyman. I'm confident that I do things safely, but what I don't always know are the standards... how high should this plug be mounted? What is the proper railing height for a stairwell?

Another tip I found - you can replace an ungrounded outlet with a GFCI in order to get some protection against shorts. Never knew that.

There is a ton of good information here. I'd recommend any homeowner that does projects around the house pick one of these up.

Or even if you don't do projects yourself... this is a good reference book so you can check the work of contractors you hire. YOU need to be knowledgeable to make sure they don't screw up your house.

5.0 out of 5 stars codes for homeowners, December 17, 2010
this is a very informative book that will keep the handyman out of trouble, it quickley skims over the most commen codes that a homeowner would run into. It is not very complete but that is to be expected. if it were an in depth book of all the codes it would need to be 100 times the size. I am a contractor and refur back to this book all the times on areas I dont normaly deal with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent General Reference, April 14, 2012
Illustrations are nice, but the book is more of a general overview than a detailed description of building codes. However, it covers enough topics to be useful in most situations, and describes the importance of working with inspectors and code enforcement. Recommended for light DIYers with limited knowledge, or even as a reference for individuals looking to purchase a home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but a little let down, May 11, 2011
I found this book actually more helpful than the Stanley line of books. I think the Stanley Electrical and Plumbing books cover more, in more detail, but this book has page after of page of what is safe/code, and what isn't. It doesn't have every single Code listed out of the IBC/IEBC,IEC...but it does list a large amount and the important ones for most all DIY's and even the homeowner who doesn't DIY, but has a contractor do their work, this will give them some knowledge when they do talk to their contractor.

The onlything i have to complain about, as with B&D Home repair book is the lack of depth they go into on Home HVAC systems, They go into installing all new electrical, Plumbing, but kinda skimp on the HVAC system of a home, they don't tell you how to even figure out if your current HVAC system can actually support the square footage of your home. It does cover basic maint, and some minor repair, but i would've liked to seen more as in how to properly size ducting, proper venting/air intake requirements..etc

But all in all it's a great book, quick and easy to look up spec for something you may be doing and need to now the min requirements, or how you should go about something. perfect for a DIY'er

5.0 out of 5 stars great DIY book to keep you out of trouble, November 13, 2010
this is a great book to keep you out of trouble with the local community and the inspectors, it is fairly up to date but will tell you what is necessary to pass inspections on work that you do. great book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for DIY home owners, September 28, 2011
This book provides many codes required for most DIY home improvements. For the typical DIY this book is more than adequate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with helpful pictures, July 19, 2011
A. Rickelman (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book to help me while I fix up my new home. It was an excellent resource for making sure that my weekend projects meet code requirements and will not cause problems when I later try to sell my home. I particularly liked all of the photos and diagrams illustrating each principle. This isn't going to give you all the specifics and doesn't replace consulting a building inspector on larger projects, but for simple projects where you just want to make sure you're being safe, this book should cover pretty much all you need for a residential structure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book for major remodels, November 18, 2012
This book is very helpful and resourceful when it comes to getting things done the right way and in line with code. It's always best to follow code to avoid problems later. The book is well illustrated showing and explaining many examples of both the right(code) and wrong ways of doing things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Codes for Homeowners, August 3, 2014
Codes for has many codes for homeowners in this book. There are codes for building that are illustrated which are valuable when you are building a house. Then there are plumbing codes to follow when you are doing a plumbing remodel in your home. There are electrical codes which are very helpful for doing an electrical job on your house inside or outside receptacles. There are heating and cooling codes in this book also. This book is well illustrated for the homeowner so you can see the right way to do the job. I was in the process of an electrical update so the part on electrical codes is why I bought this book. This was very helpful while I was doing my project of adding lights and receptacles. I would reccomend this book to anyone!! Better to do it right now than have problems later!!

Used & New from: $5.00