Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

The last time I did much carpentry was 30 years ago, so not being much of a carpenter, I'm having a deck built for me, but I still wanted to get some information on how its done, so I'd have some idea of what to look for in a well designed and built deck, and how to maintain it. This book was fine for that. It covers all the basics, the different parts of the deck, siting the deck, materials to choose from, design ideas, important things to consider, plus of course how to actually go about building a deck. I learned that many decks these days are actually more of a particle board or composite material, which is low maintenance, which lasts longer and is easier to maintain. I had always liked the idea of a cedar or redwood deck but decided that the other material was the way to go. It doesn't have the nice grain of natural wood, but better resists stains, water, and the elements. Overall, a helpful book, especially for a beginner with not much previous knowledge and expertise. I also liked the book: Building a Deck: Expert Advice from Start to Finish. These two books were the best of the many that I looked at.
on September 6, 2013
I was rebuilding a 15 year old deck. I got practical and useful information on this rebuildibg process that will make the project faster and assure I use the best quality methods and materials. Lots of good information - particularly the one about installing wood decking "bark side" down. This book was written by knowledgeable professionals. The pictures and diagrams are plentiful and instructive. Also it has useful tables on wood sizes, screw sizes, nails, bolts, footers, etc. Gives many tips on "do's and don'ts." If you only want to buy one book this is it. Also covers building new decks both flat and multi -level. Has the best explanation of sealers, stains and other types of coatings that I have found. Has a section on long term maintenance of decks, cleaning of decks, etc. Tells how to repair rotted decks. Discusses the differences between wood decking and the new plastic decking with many pictures. Shows the tools needed for each part of the process.
on April 7, 2014
It starts with vision. If you have a hard time looking at what your deck "could" look like this book is a must! Simple to understand and get a knowledge of what is required to make/build a deck or watch what a contractor does to make sure of quality construction of your deck.Best of all if you are going to build your deck this book is easy o follow and build your dream deck!
on July 4, 2016
Great book. Walks you through a deck project step by step from the design all the way through stairs, railings and even decorative under decking systems to catch water. Love this book and can't wait to use it to help me build my deck!!!
on August 17, 2012
This book was very helpful in the design phase of my deck building project. I built my deck myself, and it gave great ideas and illustrations which aided me throughout the building phase. Well worth the read.
on October 15, 2008
I have purchased several books from Black & Decker, from plumbing to electrical. They are very good. What I like about the Black & Decker books is their ability to place a lot of pictures into their books. You know the old saying "A picture says a thousand words." There were clear and concise directions for simple and complex deck projects. I will say that if you don't have some basic building skills, you could become frustrated in the middle of your project. Remember, many of these 'How To" books go on the premise that the builder is working with perfectly straight lumber. A case in point; as I was building my deck, I had to make small notches along many of my floor joists that rested on the support beam in order to keep the top layers level for the boards that would be placed on top. Why? Because the 4 X 6 support beam had a slight crown, as well as the 2 X 8 joists. If you are inexperienced, buy the book, read the section you are going to use throughly, ask questions, and take it real slow-You can do it.
on February 10, 2007
This book had both pictures and a large quantity of construction 'how to's', though personally I would have preferred more pictures and ideas pages.
on March 10, 2014
I tend to like the Black and Decker home improvement books and this one is no exception. Many books get into projects that the average homeowner would never have the desire or means to undertake. This book is filled with excellent photos and does a good job of covering most aspects of deck building. I have no regrets in purchasing this book.
on April 29, 2007
If you are new to building decks like I am this is a great book. There are more details and pictures in this book than many others. It has a few deck plans included inside the book. It gives you charts for figuring out construction minimums for the load required. If you are thinking about building your own deck and you are not experienced, buy this book first.
on February 10, 2008
This book was ok, but I was still left longing for something more comprehensive, with more examples and more pictures.