Showing 1-10 of 816 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
I bought this coffeemaker for home about 2 months ago and I love it! It is extremely convenient to be able to quickly brew coffee for just one person. The best features of this unit are:
1. It has a built in, "permanent" filter which is a HUGE plus. No more running out of filters, EVER.
2. It is fast. In just a couple minutes I can go from sleep to sipping coffee.
3. It brews the coffee right into the travel mug. The unit I bought included an extra mug which is also a great convenience.
4. It is inexpensive!
The only downside I can see is that I would have made the travel mugs a bit larger, but that is not a serious problem. I would buy this coffeemaker again without hesitation.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2005
After using a Braun KF400 coffee maker for a number of years, I decided to look for an alternative that was smaller, faster and easier to clean. I am the only coffee drinker in my household, so I rarely made a full pot with the Braun. At home, I would generally make coffee on the weekends (the coffee at work is fine) and would pour from the pot into an insulated mug. So the idea of brewing right into the insulated mug was appealing.

Enter the Black and Decker DCM18S. The mug holds 15.5 ounces of java, which was about what I was making in the Braun. I've owned the machine about 3 weeks now and have made coffee about 8 times. Personally, I find that 2 level coffee scoops work well for a full mug. I ordered from Amazon after failing to find the product in either Target, Linens `n Things or Bed Bath and Beyond.

I find the taste on par with the Braun, although I'd probably give the Braun a slight edge. The convenience of the DCM18S was worth the switch. Just simply fill the reservoir to the full line, put the coffee into the permanent filter, put some milk in the mug, cover the mug and press the ON switch. The coffee will flow off the lid, into the mug. You can also keep the lid off if you want to add sugar and stir. I don't use sugar, so putting the lid on while brewing helps keep the temperature high.

Clean up is easy. Just empty the filter of the grinds, rinse the filter, and clean out the mug. With the Braun, I had to clean the pot and the two piece cover, plus the mug. Also, the Braun's warming plate was hot, so I'd usually put a little water in the pot and return it to the plate while it cooled down. Otherwise, someone could get burned because they wouldn't know the plate was still hot. With the DCM18S, there is no hot plate, so there's no risk of getting burned by it.

I did try using a Melitta #1 paper filter instead of the permanent filter once. It was a little small for two scoops of coffee, so there is a chance that the grinds could spill over the filter and into the coffee. In my one test, I didn't get grinds in the coffee, but the permanent filter rinses out easily enough and you save the expense of paper filters.

A couple of minor gripes. While the handle on the mug is comfortable, the body of the mug is somewhat hot if you hold it in hand. The other gripe is that the fill line inside the reservoir is hard to read. I have a Brita water pitcher so I want to pour from the pitcher direct into the reservoir, and avoid pouring into the mug first.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the Brew `N Go. My rating is closer to 4.5 stars, but because of the quibbles and the fact that the taste of the Braun gets a slight edge, I chose 4 stars instead of 5.

Update 8/13/2006: After using the DCM18S for about 9 months, I began having a problem where the grinds would wind up in the coffee. I use two coffee scoops, but this wasn't a problem earlier. I'm not sure whether this is caused by the water overflowing or caused by the pulsing steam at the end of the process. Either way, it has happened enough lately that I took out my old Braun and "retired" the Black and Decker.
on February 17, 2005
I have used this coffee maker for over 5 years now and it's still running great. In fact, I just bought another one to take on trips & bring to the office.

Pros:

1. I don't have to make more than one serving at a time for myself and it brews straight into the mug.

2. It comes with a permanent filter but you can also use cone filters size #1 which I can buy nearby. Less messy to clean up using the paper filter. I just toss the grounds in the trash.

3. Quick to brew; done in < 5 minutes

Cons:

1. Hard to find a replacement mug of the right size or permanent filter

2. No warming element

3. The grounds do soak up some water and less comes out that you put in but it also happens with larger coffee pots (which being larger, you don't notice as much because you aren't MEASURING with the same cup you drink from).

Hints:

1. To stop grounds from floating into the water resevoir, use drip or cone ground coffee. Avoid very finely ground (i.e., espresso)

2. To avoid overflows, leave the cover off while brewing.
on January 2, 2002
Wanted to note that this coffee maker will put grounds in your coffee if you use the amount of water and grounds that the package instructions tell you to. The package instructions say to use about 2.5 tablespoons of grounds and almost a full mug of water. When I did that I got grounds in my coffee. When I use about 2/3 or 3/4 a mug of water and 1 scoop (about 1 tablespoon) of grounds, I got a great tasting cup of coffee with no grounds. NOTE: I use fine ground coffee though - which means I get a stronger taste with less grounds.
This is the perfect little coffee maker to sit on my desk at work. The mug does a great job of keeping the coffee warm long after it is brewed.
on August 23, 2005
For the most part, this is a great coffee maker! It has a reusable filter, allows me to buy whatever kind of coffee I want (no pods for me, thanks) and takes only a few minutes to brew. I was looking for something that would make me a mug of coffee in the morning that I could drink while driving in to work - an attempt to prevent a trip to the $4-a-hit coffee counter I normally visit. This coffee maker works great and I like the size of the mug - I wanted something that gave me just enough to sip throughout my 35 minute commute. Too much coffee means I have to bring it inside with me (and risk leaving it at work) - too little leaves me wanting more. This mug gives me just the right amount - it fits well in my car's cup holder too.

The only downside is that it's a no-frills machine - there's no timer, which would be nice, and the cord isn't that long.

For me, those are minor concerns - this is a great coffee maker for the money!
on October 23, 2005
I only drink a cup of coffee in the morning, so this makes the perfect amount-- no wasted coffee, no pot to rinse out, shuts off automatically, and works quickly. The downsides: I make strong coffee, so I've found that the grounds work their way up into the holes where the water comes down. If I use a paper filter in addition to the re-usable filter this is not a problem (but then the whole point of a re-usable filter is gone). Also, the mug this came with is awful. It has the dreaded plastic smell, and the stainless steel cover continually falls off of the interior plastic mug-- this has resulted in some spills and stains.
on September 18, 2001
When I learned I'd have to start rising even before the dawn, I wondered how I was going to do it. Of course, coffee sprang to mind. But I wouldn't have enough time in the morning to gulp a whole pot. I needed something I could grab and go. Then I saw it ... shining like the grail at the end of a long quest. Exactly what I needed!
Pros: You can set it all up the night before. Wake up and throw the switch. It also will brew tea. No disposable filters needed. Great commuter mug.
Cons: You are supposed to add any sugar and cream BEFORE brewing. The lid can be hard to get off and a hassle to add your gunk after brewing. Of course I like my sugar and cream stirred into my coffee, and I use real cream...not good to have sitting all night in the mug.
on September 9, 2005
I really wanted a podless single cup coffee maker, and this seems to be the only one out there. So was it worth the money? I think so, and it brews a good cuppajoe but there are some caveats.

- 95% of the coffee cup brews fast, but the last 5% is excruciatingly slow. Unfortunately, that means you will grab your cup while the filter is still dripping. Fortunately, there's no burner to turn the drops into crispy tar.

- If you use really fresh coffee, the basket can bubble over and send grounds into the fresh water chamber. Usually if you're careful and pack the grounds down in the bottom, you can avoid it.

- The brewing mug has a thermos-like vaccuum insulating layer of air, but since the top is plastic, it's easy to get water caught in between. If you wash the cup by hand and don't immerse it, you can avoid that too.

Anyway, if you like 1.5 cups of coffee in the morning, this maker will pay for itself in filters and electricty you save. Not a bad thing, that.
on August 26, 2003
Ok,I've read lots of reviews here, and it seems a lot of people have experienced the problem of grounds in the coffee and coffee running over. This only happens when a fine grind is being used. When I use a more course grind it's just fine. The permanent filter gets clogged with oils when brewing very fine grind, and since it works so darn fast, it may overflow the drip basket. Black and Decker could have made the drip basket a little larger to accommodate the water till it drips through. Maybe they will see this and fix that minor design flaw to an otherwise reeeeeallly awesome little machine. I've used mine everyday for months and I really love it. It's well worth the price!
on June 26, 2006
This is a great product. I don't use the mugs that come with it, although they are fine - but it works wonderfully with my extra-large ceramic mugs. One caution - don't overfill the coffee - one heaping scoop is plenty. If you like it extra strong, use less water and make a second cup when you are ready. Too much coffee will overflow into the water reservoir and break the machine (maybe not the first time, but soon). This has happened twice to me when relatives came to visit and didn't know what they were doing. B&D replaced it the first time. Now it's out of warranty, and I'm buying another, without hesitation.