5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy for the money
Published on May 2, 2008 by M. Young

1.0 out of 5 stars Lukewarm coffee, anyone?
Published on November 15, 2006 by A. Radford

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy for the money, May 2, 2008
This review is from: Black & Decker DE790B 8-Cup Thermal Carafe Coffeemaker, Black with stainless carafe (Kitchen)
I think this is a great buy. I live alone. For me, the 4 cup machines were just too small and the 12 cup were too big. I also did not want a machine with a hot plate since they burn the coffee and make it taste bitter. I was happy with the $10 B&D single cup machine which I kept at my desk at work. This was the cheapest Carafe machine I could find ($29.99 at Target).

I am a bit of a coffee geek. I home roast my own coffee beans. Grind my beans right before I brew my coffee. I have not checked it with a thermometer, but this brews at a close to ideal temperature. I am using about 7-8 grams per cup and find it makes a good strong cup of coffee. The brew cycle is on the slow side, but for me that is good. The slower brew makes for a better extraction. I use a mesh basket and have not had a major problem with the grinds overflowing into the coffee. This has been a big issue with other machines I have owned. But by keeping the water coming at a decent speed, it seems OK with this machine.

The carafe does a fair job at keeping the coffee hot. After 4-5 hours and three mugs, the coffee is still at a good hot drinkable temperature. The outside of the carafe stays cool to the touch. Yes a hot plate machine would keep it hotter, but after an hour or two, the coffee would be burnt.

I will offer one tip for hotter coffee. Either rinse or or let the carafe sit for a few minutes with hot top tap water right before brewing. This will preheat the carafe a bit and make a few degrees difference in your coffee.

I know there are a lot of negative reviews on this I will try to address some of the points.

The Machine Flooded my Counter:
This is not the machines fault. You did not have the carafe properly seated in the machine. This can be a problem with any machine where you stop brewing to serve a cup. Cuisinart machines are even worse at this. But if you make sure the carafe is seated correctly, you will not have a problem. Also if you fill it above the 8 cup level, the carafe will overflow.

Hot Plate did not work:
Thermal Carafe machines generally do not have hotplates. Plus hot plates generally have auto shut off now. So after a couple of hours, your coffee will in addition to taste burnt, will cool quickly. This machine keeps your coffee for 4-6 hours without tasting burnt.

Coffee tastes bitter or metallic:
Make sure to rinse after each use. Try cleaning it with sudsy water and the occasional soak with white vinegar and water.

Timer is tough to use:
Read the owners manual. It is not rocket science. It is like programing a digital alarm clock.

Yes there can be bad machines that do not brew at the right temp. But most of the bad reviews for this product are the result of user error and not due to a design defect.

For the money, this is a great buy in a thermal carafe drip Machine. There are no major flaws. It looks good on the counter, and keeps the coffee hot for a few hours. For $30-$40 I think this machine is a steal!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, February 28, 2007
I have owned four other thermal carafe coffee makers of various types and quality. I found this one to be equal to or better than my previous purchases. Thermal carafe coffee makers keep the coffee fresh by not "baking" the coffee which retains the good flavor. Coffee quality was good, coffee temperature was also adequate, set up for brewing was reasonable, I saw the open/close lid markings to be obvious. My wife liked this unit because of the stainless steel design. If you expect your coffee to be "Dunkin Donuts" hot, you'll be disappointed with any home thermal carafe coffeemaker. But if you make coffee to be consumned within a one to three hour time period, I'll enjoy this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money!, December 24, 2006
I am very pleased with this coffee maker it has exactly the features i wanted except the reusable filter - i just brought my own. This unit makes good coffee, with both the gourmet and cheap coffees I use. It looks great and the stainless carfe feels well made when you hold it. It took me a couple of tries to get the hang of the lid but not an issue after that. I find that the coffee stays hot for hours if you close the lid after each serving. Worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine!, March 21, 2007
I ordered this from Amazon, and as usual, received it extremely fast...thanks Amazon! I, for one, love this machine. Its "delay brew" is a no-brainer to operate, and it's the perfect size for my single self. I didn't want another 12-cup maker, but the 4-cup ones are ridiculously small. It is a great looking machine that only takes 1 min. per cup to brew my morning joe. I do not heat my carafe with water before I make my coffee because I use the delay brew to have my coffee ready when I come downstairs first thing in the morn. I actually took my coffee's temperature in the carafe after brewing was complete, and it was 181 degrees. I've never had a coffee maker that made coffee hotter than 160 degrees....maybe I got lucky and got a good one, but I doubt if it was luck. I took the temp again after 3 hours and it was still 140 degrees...not bad at all, in my opinion. The lid is a cinch to understand after getting acquainted with it. It is not rocket science. I love this thing! I guess time will tell the whole truth, but I have faith!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, Better than most, July 26, 2008
Big Ed (SF Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
I picked this up the other day to replace my Mr. Coffee programmable/insulated carafe coffee maker (that one just stopped working after 8 mos. As an aside, I will never buy Mr. Coffee again). I have been using it for a week.

I went shopping for higher-end/more expensive coffee makers but ended up coming home with this one. I'll just hit the bullet points:
- easy to operate
- keeps coffee at drinkable temperature for 2 1/2 hours. If you pre-heated the carafe I am sure you could extend it. At 2.5 hours the coffee is just over luke-warm so if you have to always have piping hot coffee, you should get one with a burner that stays on. I can't stand burnt coffee, so anything that continues to add heat after brewing doesn't do it for me.
- Makes coffee just as good as anything I have used. I use 6 TBS of fresh ground coffee per full pot.
-the auto timer took me an extra 30 secs to figure out...you would expect the LED next to the "Auto" button to light up when that mode is on. What actually happens is a little dot appears on the upper right of the time display.
-easy to clean, and NO DRIPS from the carafe. One of my peeves is carafes that dribble as you pour. This one is well engineereed.

If you are value conscious and in the market for an 8 cup thermal, I'd recommend this one. For the money it can't be beat.

My coffee profile:
-I buy Kirkland Starbucks Roast at Costco and drink 3 cups a day.
-Coffee is a morning ritual, and also a vice. I love my coffee.
-I don't go to Starbucks/Peets/etc. unless out with others, and then I drink the "COD" (coffee of the day).
-I like a smooth columbian cup with a splash of 1/2 and 1/2. All the time. No flavored, No caffe-latte-crema-cappo-mocha-chino-shine-ola for me.
-I can detect burnt coffee a mile away, just the smell of it puts me off.
-I am willing to pay $[...] for a coffee maker, but I shop on best value, not sleekest machine.

If you have a similar profile, then this review may be for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee Maker!, March 7, 2009
I would have given this a 4 but gave it an extra star because of the price. My prior maker was a Cuisinart grind and brew. This made great coffee but, after 5+ years of service, quit working one day. When we went to look for replacement, I was shocked by the prices of the high end makers. I don't remember the grind and brew being that expensive when I bought it. Luckily my research turned me to the B&D makers. Reading the detractors, they were not concerns for me. It seems most are upset with the fact there is not heater to keep the coffee hot. After owning this, I echo the sentiment that many of these complaints are due to misuse (or misunderstanding off how a Thermal Carafe works). Unfortunately the price point is going to attract folks who expect this to work like a Mr.Coffee but this is a gourmet machine on par with some of the better machines I've seen.

Here are a few tips:
- Close the Carafe after pouring a cup. If you don't do this, the coffee does cool quickly. These directions are right on the pot so there is little excuse after leaving it open once.
- Use a little more coffee to make it strong. That's the only downside I've seen is this maker requires a bit more coffee than my Cuisinart did
- Get a mettle, reusable coffee filter. I can see how a paper filters might be folder over causing issues. The water delivery seems to be wide (this is good though as the water gets on all the coffee uniformly).

Coffee stays warm, if you shut the lid as directed, for 3-4 hours. Purring a cup is actually much better than most other pots I've owned (not sure about this complaint). I've also had no issues with it.

If this was a $100 maker, I would have given it a four but the price makes this a five. This is a must buy for an 8 cup maker.

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually keeps coffee comfortably hot for 3-4 hours., December 17, 2006
Only problem with this maker is the thermal pot lid. Dangerous for young children and elderly as well. Difficult to tell when the pot lid is open for pouring (no arrows). I actually had the lid fall off with coffee going all over the counter not realizing it had already has a quarter turn by a previous pourer. Other than that (which is a pretty big no-no), I like the idea it turns off immediately after brewing. Coffee stays hot in the thermal carafe for quite some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy With Purchase, December 3, 2007
I generally read reviews prior to most purchases, so I made this purchase with my fingers crossed. However, I am very pleased with the B&D coffeemaker. The auto timer is working great. It is a beautiful piece of equipment that looks great on my counter.
This is my first thermal, so the pot took a little adjustment on my part. Since the pot must seal to keep the coffee hot, It naturally, must be unsealed for pouring, and again sealed to keep the remaining coffee hot. It seals so well in fact that I do not even wake up to "smell the coffee." It makes great coffee (IMHO) and keeps the coffee hot long enough for me (probably 3-4 hrs)

I did not find operation confusing. I actually learned how to use the pot and the timer by reviewing the instruction book on the first day.

My only slight disappointment is that I originally was looking for a smaller pot to replace my 12-cup pot. I checked the measurements prior to ordering, so I was not really disappointed; but, I would have liked a smaller footprint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for me..., October 27, 2007
Glenn Carr (Tulsa, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This was the perfect coffeemaker for me, although I'm sure it's not perfect for everyone. My wife doesn't drink coffee and doesn't like the smell of baking coffee (and I hate the taste of 'baked' coffee). The carafe does a great job of sealing in the heat, along with the coffee smell. I typically only want to drink one cup before I head to work, and this works perfectly, especially since I drink the cup right after I've programmed it to finish. The 'interrupt to pour a coup' feature is very nice too. If the pot sits for a 2+ hours, the coffee won't be piping hot, but that's pretty standard for carafe models.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lukewarm coffee, anyone?, November 15, 2006
A. Radford (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I am returning this item after using it for about a week because it simply does not and cannot make a cup of HOT coffee. The machine automatically shuts off the second that the coffee has finished brewing, which means that the coffee can only get as hot as the heating element can make it, without the benefit of the warming plate doing anything. You cannot keep the warming plate on to keep the coffee heated, so regardless of the carafe aspect, you can't have hot coffee. Bummer, it's nice looking and I like the idea of the thermal carafe, but it doesn't do much good to simply keep lukewarm coffee lukewarm.

Rate and Discover Movies