5.0 out of 5 stars I was a coffee maker snob
Yes, I used to have to buy those overpriced, German coffee makers--but not any more. When my latest $100 coffee maker started leaking from both the underside and from the little, unreadable, glass tube on the side, I started looking around for a replacement.

Published on November 24, 2009 by Bruce Cuningham

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but trouble
Published on April 26, 2010 by Swidgen

5.0 out of 5 stars I was a coffee maker snob, November 24, 2009
This review is from: Black & Decker DLX1050W 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker with Glass Carafe, White (Kitchen)

I settled on this Black and Decker model because it does everything the high-priced models do, but at a quarter of the price. After three weeks, the clock still keeps excellent time, the machine still comes on when I'm sound asleep so that I wake up to coffee ready to drink. The coffee tastes very good (c'mon, drip coffee is drip coffee--and I am STILL a coffee snob) and is certainly hot enough. The coffee maker is absolutely EASY to program; each button serves but one function. Aside from the fact that it doesn't LEAK, it seems I lose power here with disturbing regularity, so I like to be able to set the clock and the timer easily and quickly and feel assured that I'll have coffee when I wake up.

What I don't miss about the old coffee maker: leaks, erratic, confusing programming and multiple functions for one button, default ON for auto coffee making (and there's no way to turn it OFF), special little (hard to find) charcoal filter gizmo, adjustable temperature settings on the hot plate, and did I mention LEAKS.

What I miss about the old coffee maker: ability to change length of time the hot plate stays hot, "CALC" calcium warning. Both of which are easy to overcome. If I want two more hours of hot plate all I do is hit the "power" button; if I want to decalcify my machine, all I have to do is run a load of vinegar through on the solstices and equinoxes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivered what was promised, December 7, 2009
I picked out this coffee maker because of a reasonable price and was a recommended best buy in Consumers Report magazine. I have only had a week or so and can't address long term reliability. What it does do is NOT DRIP! It does not drip when pouring from the glass pot to the water reservoir or when pouring coffee into a cup. I do NOT have to be extra careful when pouring. It also stops the coffee flow from the filter as soon as I pull the pot out and does NOT drip on the warmer. Again, do NOT have to be extra careful here. It also does NOT leak condensation out of the water reservoir top when lifting the lid. The condensation on the reservoir lid drips back into the reservoir when the lid is lifted. The time and delay brew functions ARE easy to set and work fine. The coffee brewed fairly quickly and did not overflow the filter to allow grounds into the pot. So far, I am very happy with a product that someone spent some time making user friendly and practical. This is a well engineered inexpensive product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, January 30, 2010
This is, far and away, the best coffee maker I've ever bought. My previous was a Mr. Coffee, and the caraffe dribbled everywhere almost every time. This caraffe pours perfectly every time. The controls are so intuitive, I've yet to pull out the instructions. It brews a full 12 cups in 10 to 15 minutes. And the coffee is sooo delicious. Don't waste your time looking at other machines. Buy this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just One Drawback, November 11, 2009
This is an excellent coffee maker. Makes a great tasting cup of coffee. The only drawback is that the water level indicator is darkened (Black Model) making it very difficult to see the water level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value coffeemaker, December 9, 2009
Papa (Dearborn, Mi) - See all my reviews
We have had one of these coffee makers for several months. It makes great coffee and is highly rated by Consumer Reports. The only disadvantages are that it is quite noisy while brewing and the window in the water tank is almost impossible to see through. We have to measure the water in the carafe to fill the tank. Coffee makers only seem to last a couple years these days, no matter what you pay for them, so why buy and expensive one when this one makes just as good coffee?

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but trouble, April 26, 2010
Swidgen (Northeast PA) - See all my reviews
Bought this maker to replace another one of the same that the keypad died on. We had this one for 9 months and it suddenly stopped brewing. Luckily, I had the receipt so I called Black and Decker and they told me to cut off the plug and mail it to them with a check for $7.50 and they'll send a replacement in 2 weeks. The problem I have with this is that, it is OBVIOUSLY a manufacturing defect that caused it to die, and nothing that we did, so I have to now go 2 weeks without a coffeemaker and pay $7.50 + $2.00 to send them the plug. I feel if it is a problem that is covered under warranty, then they should pay expedited shipping to get me a replacement ASAP. The brew temperature isn't hot enough, it's lukewarm at best. Also, the hot pad has been rusting for a few months now. Never had THAT happen on a coffee maker before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works forever, March 13, 2010
I purchased this model over 10 years ago. It looks a lot like the new one except they have updated the lines. I just purchased the new model because after 10 years the hot pad only keeps the coffee warm and not hot but the first cup is always hot. Every feature still works on this machine except for the stop brew, to pour when brewing. That is because we removed it since we have broke several carafes over the years. I considered purchasing a fancier machine but figured why mess with a good thing. We have never had any problems. We love the timer and the coffee has always been great. I love coffee and feel like our Black & Decker has served us well and I will be sad to through it away. I know the new one will serve us equally well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable Coffee Maker, January 29, 2010
B. Oneil (El Cerrito, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great coffee machine for the price. My only quibble is that the manual, as with many products manufactured in China, is inadequate. From the Amazon review I learned that it has an automatic shut-off feature after 2 hours. This is a great safety feature. However, there is not a word about this in the manual, causing me to have to test the unit to make sure it works. Another minor problem is that the carafe and the filter unit have to be lined up perfectly, as there is a danger of spillage if this is not done. All-in-all, I'm satisfied.

1.0 out of 5 stars Had to replace it twice!!, August 10, 2010
I actually bought this at Walmart. After 9 months the water starting spraying all over the counter, not into the basket where the ground were. I called Black and Decker and they had me mail in the 2" cut off cord with delivery confirmation and a check for $7.50. I got a new machine in about 2 wks. That new machine now won't brew 6 months later. You press power, to start the brew, and nothing happens. The plate won't get hot and no water circulates.

I called them again and they tried to charge me $7.50 again!! I asked for my money back, not really wanting the same horrible model. They said the only option was a new machine but they waived the $7.50. Now I'm waiting for my 3rd coffee maker! I would not recommend this brand at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money!, January 25, 2010
My $175 1 cup coffee maker has stopped working properly after 1 year and only had a 1 year warranty. So I decided to get a "cheapy" but I'm so happy with this! The coffee tastes wonderful and when I pour it doesn't spill everywhere like ones I've owned in the past. It's easy to clean and it's quiet when it brews. I think it's great and it's actually the cheapest one I have ever had and so far it's great! It fits perfectly on the counter. I have a large kitchen but it would fit in a small kitchen perfectly as well. I love how I can set it at night and when I get up in the morning my coffee will be waiting for me. I reccomend this to anyone.