5.0 out of 5 stars The Cutting Edge

2.0 out of 5 stars Gap between blades
Published on May 14, 2007 by E. Sullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cutting Edge, October 24, 2006
kjenfan (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black & Decker EK700 9-Inch Electric Carving Knife, White (Kitchen)
Perhaps the first reviewer had a defective knife because I can only give this inexpensive little knife the very highest recommendation. Initially, I had purchased a very (in my opinion) expensive electric knife ($65) which lasted all of, what? Two months? Yup, two months. Since I couldn't really afford to drop that kind of cash so soon again on an electric knife I got the Black & Decker EK700, not expecting it to last for very long because on average I bake at least a dozen loaves of bread a week, half of which are heavy wheat or rye breads.

As of today, February 28, 2008, I'm editing this review to make this comment: I used this knife for about a year before I posted my original review and it is STILL WORKING! Honestly, how can you beat that? I am really amazed at how sturdy it is. With the use I put it through I would have expected it to last no more than six months. But after all this time, with steady, hard use, it's running almost as well as the day I bought it. Great knife, unbelievably sturdy, easy to clean -- frankly, I can't think of anything bad to say about it. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Electric Knife is Terrific!!!!!!, December 1, 2007
I have always used electric knives to slice all the roasts which I cook, including, beef, pork, chicken and turkey. I have gotten tired of using knives and becoming dull, tearing the meat, and not working for more than 3 months. I bought this knife on the advise of the American Test Kitchens stating that this knife was one of the best. They are right. This is the best knife that I have used. I carved the Thanksgiving Day Turkey with it and it sliced that turkey like butter. No tearing or fighting with the blades to cut the meat. It fits in my hand like a glove, easy to run. I also like the safety switch on the on button. Push the slide button to the left,then press the on switch and it stays on until you release the on switch, when you are all done with the slicing, you press the slide button to the right and it locks the unit so it cannot be turn on. Blades go into the unit easily. Best little unit I have ever used. I would highly recommend this unit to anyone who uses an electric knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electric knife, May 6, 2007
It is the only electric knife I can use with my small hands. It is a great value for this hard to find item. I have been using this model knife for the past 25 years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for its purpose, October 3, 2008
L'il 1odine (The Dalles, OR USA) - See all my reviews
Arthritic hands make for difficult handling of tools. My former electric carving knife works just fine for spouse and grown children, but I was unable to keep it running long enough to make a cut. This implement allows me to depress and keep depressed the cutting trigger. I've carved some fairly tough meats and some very tender cuts. The knife has worked equally well for both. I haven't yet tried it on anything frozen. The blades are easy to attach and detach. They clean easily with a soapy sponge, and have survived the dishwasher well, too.

If I have any complaints, it would be that the knife is rather heavy and my hands tire easily when using it; being tied to a cord restricts its use to the preparation area, rather than the table; and (although I thoroughly understand the reason for it) having to hold down the trigger continuously is tiring. That third reason has no validity . . . if the knife is dropped, it doesn't need to keep cutting anything it comes in touch with!

All in all, this is a very satisfactory tool, especially for persons with problem hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electric Knives, September 25, 2010
Bunker (Seneca, SC USA) - See all my reviews
My Wife has worn out a number of electric knives including two Cuisinart Electric Knives. Her latest was a Wolfgang Puck Electric Knife which she threw across the room because of the unwieldy long blades. So we went back to the Black & Decker EK700, which she started with. It is easy to use and takes on tough jobs with no problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars good knife, December 11, 2007
B. Rolon (Cerritos, CA) - See all my reviews
the B&D electric knife lived up to the excellent review given by the America's Test Kitchen. Performed quite well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gap between blades, May 14, 2007
I have had several electric knives over the years but this is the worst. It has a small gap between the blades and this allows the meat that you are cutting get between the blades rendering it useless. I have only used it on roast chicken/turkey so I cannot comment on how it is with bread. Others seem to have no problem cutting bread. But if you want to use it on poultry, buy something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Picked the right one this time., January 18, 2007
Great product at a resonable price. This knife is comfortable in your hand, (left or right.) It cuts smoothly without applying undue preasure. The offset blade allows cutting through to bottom of bread or meat without racking your knuckles or repositioning your grip. I keep an electric knife plugged in on my counter for all kinds of cutting. If this one ever wears out, I'll be buying another just like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Knife, January 31, 2009
We bought this to replace our Ergo electric knife, that we have had for many years. This Black & Decker knife is terrible! It would not cut our Christmas roast, and I have since tried it on a crusty loaf of bread, and it wouldn't even cut through the crust! We've gone back to our Ergo until I can find a decent replacement. This one is going in the garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth even the low price of $20.00, October 5, 2009
I purchased this knife earlier this year to replace a different brand I had for many years, but is no longer available. I chose this knife primarily based upon the reviews I read. It is not worth the hassle of returning it, but it is nearly useless. The blades are set too far apart, and they tend to shred the meat instead of slicing it. And, it is virtually impossible to slice meat thinly. You need to apply a lot of downward pressure to even get through the meat, which really fatigues the hand. If anyone knows of a good quality electric knife, I would love to know about it. They seem to be hard to find. Don't waste your money on this one. Mine will likely end up in the trash.

Black & Decker EK700 9-Inch Electric Carving Knife, White