5.0 out of 5 stars IT REALLY WORKS ON RODENTS.
Published on January 28, 2008 by BIG AL

3.0 out of 5 stars Can You Hear Me Now?
Published on March 1, 2006 by Dr.Scooter

5.0 out of 5 stars IT REALLY WORKS ON RODENTS., January 28, 2008
BIG AL (Baton Rouge, LA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black & Decker EP1100-A Ultrasonic Pest Repeller, Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
I have used this electronic pest repeller in my hunting camp (in the middle of the woods) and in my barn. The devices are on timers and set on full power for rodents. I use multiple devices in the barn due to it's size and one in each room at the hunting camp. I disconnect them when I'm there. Prior to using these electronic repellers I consistantly had problems with rodents (mice and rats)getting in the buildings, especially during the winter. I no longer have ANY problems with mice or rats. I had previously tried the smaller units with little success. Don't waste your money on smaller, direct plug in units for rodents, they just are not powerful enough. You will have to use these FULL SIZE XL UNITS set on "rodent" and "loud" to work effectively, so you will want turn them off when you are there. I use timers to help keep the rodents from "getting used to the noise" (if in fact that does happen). Since we don't have any roaches at either location, I would have to guess that it works for them too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can You Hear Me Now?, March 1, 2006
Maybe this works--I've been having a running war with the local raccoons and squirrels. Every winter they invade our attic which is large and odd shaped and really can not be sealed off. I've used live traps and caught a bunch (mostly raccoons) and taken them across the Missouri river to a Wildlife area so they can't be coming back. BUT, there are always more to take their place, location, location, location. Once the raccoons have their kits they will move hell and high water (good moms). I've tried using different repellents with little effect. I did not really expect this thing to work and it is not 100% but it has been a big improvement. When I first got the thing I aimed it at my cats for a test(nice guy). They were not pleased but they also really did not leave the area. I put it up in the attic in the fall and just leave it on. I do go up and aim it in different directions from time to time. The good news is no one has set up house keeping so far. The end of February early March is prime for the raccoons to give birth so "maybe" I won't be running a nursery this year. Prior to this year the raccoons moved in to the attic in the late fall/winter. Sometimes there would be "turf wars" one could scare them away but they would return. So far the only intruders have been the squirrels but they do not seem to stay. They seem to check it out but choose to leave so it has been an improvement for sure but again not a 100% solution. Now the bad, it makes noise. Not real loud but it can clearly be heard in the hall, our bedroom (just a wee bit) and most of the upstairs depending on the aim, just depends on placement. I leave it on all the time so the noise is not a great thing to have a bit annoying, but the critters are much worse. Again my cats in true form could care less (so that is sort of good, we are not trying to run them out of the upstairs) but I guess it makes enough noise in the attic to be a pest to the pests.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great in Atlanta!, September 4, 2008
I have read few negative reviews here and they don't look very convincing. We had problem in our attic with flying squirrels and I actually saw them few times so I know what it was for sure. They drove my wife and me crazy running inside of the roof and chewing through walls. It was one of the most stressful experiences in our house. Nothing worked and one time I locked one critter in the roof by patching a hole so we had an awful smell for a month until it dried out. I tried traps, sprayed etc.
Finally I put an electric outlet in the attic and bought the B&D unit at local store. Since the first day for last 6 months nothing is coming to our attic. Simply a miracle.
Less than $40 bought us a peaceful home. I know the exterminators or contractors would cost fortune. Someone I know spend over $5000 on them (catching and sealing the attic). I still have fairly large holes that will easy let in even larger critters. Instead just enjoy total silence.
I hope this will help someone and there is no risk in buying since you can always return it if it doesn't work. It was my last resort and hopefully really lasting solution. I use lowest setting for rodents since higher settings make too much noise. It still works great!
Best regards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and reasonably priced, March 20, 2012
Billy Jackson (Nashville, Tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
I used to have my fair share of roach visitations here in Tennessee when the weather gets humid, and mice would also want to tour my winter estate (apartment) when the weather was too chilly for Mickey to want to sleep outside. Not wanting to kill anything, I opted to try this sonic repellent from Black and Decker. Well, after having the item plugged in and running non-stop for more than 3 years, I've been very pleased with its performance.

There is an audible noise, but honestly, while I can hear it when I'm sitting right next to it (it's under my computer desk), it doesn't bother me. I have two dogs (one large, and one medium-sized), and neither of them appear to have any trouble even falling asleep by my feet when I'm working on my desktop for long periods of time. I don't own any cats, so I'm not sure how feline's would respond, but for the time being, it's good.

I did not purchase this unit on Amazon, but did buy one from Home Depot. I did want to share my satisfaction with the product, and put dog owners' minds to ease in the event any of you are worried your dogs would react negatively to it. A reviewer below mentioned a neighbor's dog, living below them, seemed to have a bad reaction, but I'm not too sure the frequency travels through walls. In addition, my two dogs (with seemingly super sonic hearing) have never seemed bothered by this piece. Keeping this plugged in the same surge protector my computer and monitor are plugged into does not produce noise through my studio monitors, and my computer runs fine.

I would definitely buy another one, and would also gladly recommend this to anyone that does not like killing insects or other animals, or they just don't like using pesticides.

Hope this review helps,

4.0 out of 5 stars Pest repellent does the job, March 10, 2009
J. Ralda (Falls Church, VA) - See all my reviews
Before purchasing the Black & Decker pest repeller, I had done quite a bit of research regarding other products currently out in the market. It seemed that this one had a consistently positive review, and I liked what others commented about the product. I purchased the Black & decker for my sister-in-law who had mice problems. The black & decker has two settings: one for rodents and one for insects. It also provides the option of whether you'd prefer a quiet mode, or louder for a bigger room. When I plugged the product into the outlet at her house, I saw a mouse jump at the sound of the machine. I was satisfied that it would work well, and I haven't seen a mouse scamper around her house since. The instructions state that it could take 2 weeks to work efficiently, but I saw quicker results than that. It claims you can't hear it at a quiet setting, but I guess I'm one of the "lucky" ones because I can always hear it when it's on. At it's loudest sound, it's like pulsating pierce. This is VERY annoying and harsh to the ears at a close range. My sister-in-law actually uses this setting at night when she goes to sleep and leaves the little black box in the kitchen. She sleeps on the 3rd floor and the kitchen is in the 2nd floor, so it doesn't disturb her. I have yet to use it for insects, but so far it's a very effective little box. I do recommend the product because it works well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work but support is not so good, May 17, 2009
I bought one of these for my garage to keep the mice out in the winter. The loud setting was loud and could be heard clearly a short distance from the garage. It was tolerable though and I never had a complaint from a neighbor. After the winter, I did find some evidence of mice but I have no way of knowing how long it had been there.

One day, a month or so outside of the one year warranty, the unit went silent. I called the support line for B & D, which is also a support line for what seems like half a million other appliances, and was told that it was out of warranty and "nonrepairable", but they would be happy to sell me another at retail price. Since the unit was now worthless, I decided to open it up and see what was inside. I drilled out the rivets (no screws) to get inside and found the inexpensive piezo speaker had stopped working. If I pressed on the cone, it would sound normally. B & D support would not (or could not) sell me with a replacement speaker nor would they give me the spec that would help me find a replacement. In short, if it's out of warranty, we ain't helping you.

The next one I buy will not be a Black and Decker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Squirrels, December 1, 2006
We have a huge problem with squirrels chewing the wiring harnesses in our new vehicles. A Chevrolet dealer told me that GM uses wiring that has a sort of vegetable oil in the wiring insulation. This coating attracts rodents especially during the colder winter months when the vehicle can provide shelter and a food source.

We put one of these inside the vehicle's engine compartment and ran an extension cord out the front grill. When we get home we plug the vehicle in and this has prevented the rodents from chewing the wires. First time cost me $2800 bucks second time I found the wiring harness at a junk yard. There will not be a 3rd time thanks to this device!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent to repell roaches!, July 24, 2012
My problem WAS roaches. I use it at my office several months ago, just at night and during weekends and holidays because I do not like the idea of keeping ultrasound waves around me. Plain and easy: It completely solved my problem with the roaches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great So far, January 8, 2008
Bob Smith (Tulsa, OK United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this to get rid of the squirrels that take up residence in my attic every winter. The thought of traps (and having to "off" them once I caught them) was not appealing. I've heard a few squirrels in the attic since installing it, but they don't stay long, so I hope they get the message and don't come back. The device is smaller than it looks in the picture, a little bigger than a soda can. It has three sound levels, and all but the quietest do make noise. We cannot hear it on the medium setting in the house though unless it is very quiet. So far I am very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good..., November 3, 2012
My husband and I have a little "friend" that likes to chew on the drywall behind our dishwasher. Since our landlord is of little help, we bought this to take care of the scratching during the night. We have not heard our friend in the wall since we plugged in the repeller. Just a heads up - the loud setting is really loud!

Rate and Discover Movies