4.0 out of 5 stars Use the right setting, don't leave water in it.
I iron for sewing projects - so that can mean lots and lots of ironing about once or twice a month. I read the reviews about leaking/spitting and brown water spots so I never ever leave water in it after steaming. I let the iron cool, then drain it, and let it air out before storing. I have never had an issue with brown water spots in the year I've been using mine...
Published 24 months ago by Liz Beans

Published on November 14, 2010 by Nina

1.0 out of 5 stars Another product of cheap foreign labor...Should be called "Steam Dribbler" not "Steam Iron", November 14, 2010
This review is from: Black and Decker F210 Steam Iron With Nonstick Soleplate (Kitchen)
Black & Decker Steam Iron F210 I wanted a lightweight steam iron since I have arthritis in my hands and plenty of ironing to do. Almost every iron I looked at, especially the more expensive ones, seemed to have been designed and tested by men who've never ironed in their lives, and are weightlifting body builders with huge hands and strong fingers to press steam and spray buttons. Fill one of those irons with water and you'd be lucky to drag it across an ironing board, never mind lift it and maneuver it around the garment 20-40 times as you iron each item.

The Black & Decker F210 steam iron seemed perfect for my needs, very lightweight, with all the key features I want, except auto shut-off. It has adjustable continuous steam, dampening spray, fabric heat settings, even a bonus ridiculously low $14 price tag, everything I wanted without the hand-numbing weight. Pleased with myself and my purchase, I toted it home, filled it with water, plugged it in, and from there it all went downhill.

The F210 proceeded to sputter, spit, spurt, dribble and drool water all over the ironing board and garment while I tried everything possible to make it function properly. I adjusted the fabric heat settings and steam settings, gave it more time to heat up, laid the iron flat, stood it up vertically (on its rather wobbly base) and checked to make sure I hadn't overfilled it, but nothing cured this iron's chronic incontinence, it continued to let loose all over my clothes. Amazed this iron had even made it onto the market, I gave up, unplugged the iron and got ready for bed. Two hours later, just as I was drifting off to sleep, I was awakened by the sound of water spontaneously cascading out of the iron's reservoir, spilling over the ironing board and streaming onto the floor of my bedroom.

Wanting to be fair, I wondered if this could be a a fluke, a one in a thousand defect peculiar to my iron, so I looked up consumer reviews of the F210. Apparently leaking and dribbling is a standard feature of this engineering masterpiece iron. At least half the reviews I read complained about it. So, unless you want to waste your time and money, don't even consider buying this iron.

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE: As if this wasn't enough reason to look elsewhere for an iron, the bottom of the F210 box warns the consumer in tiny print that the power cord on this iron contains lead "a chemical known ...to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling." How does the U.S. government even allow this iron to be imported and sold in the U.S.? Why would a well respected manufacturer like Black & Decker abandon their company's goodwill and reputation by hawking a cheap defective iron with serious potential health risks? I would have happily paid twice the price for the same iron if it worked, were made in America and didn't contain health hazards. Wise up Black & Decker, you used to be a reliable and well respected company. Keep manufacturing off-shore cheap foreign health-risk lemons like this one and you'll be out of business with no one to blame but yourself. Ever heard of "quality control" or "Made in America"?

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this iron!!!, August 28, 2009
This iron is an absolute waste of money! Do not purchase this iron! It is very, very lightweight and the water continues to squart out of it every time you try to iron with it, and continues to wet your clothing. I used this iron only once and had to go back to my old one! I will have to return this iron for a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst iron ever!!!!, October 20, 2010
This is a terrible iron!! It constantly shuts off and when you are ironing, you end up with soaking wet clothes because it spits everywhere!!! Not even worth the box it came in!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Tidal Wave, March 12, 2011
Bought this iron from Target because it was nice and cheap and I really don't need to use an iron that often. Decided to try this guy out the day I bought it...filled it up with water...

...with out delay the water just poured out of it from everywhere. The fool that I am, I tried it several more times with the same exact result.

Don't even waste your time or money on this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money at all: Cheaply made, dribbles water, January 23, 2011
This iron has 3 main flaws:

1. It does not get hot enough. I regularly iron cotton dress shirts and this iron will not do them justice. It simply does not get hot enough to iron cotton (which is the one fabric that really needs ironing the most).

2. It leaks water all the time. Because it doesn't get very hot, water does not steam properly. This means that water will drip out of the steam holes, staining your clothes with rust spots that are impossible to get out. I have ruined a few shirts this way, as it often tends to drip on the most visible parts of the clothing, leaving little orange spots everywhere!

3. It shuts off too early. If you are trying to press out a seam and you leave the iron in the "down" position for too long, it will beep at you and turn off, leaking water everywhere. It's the culmination of the first 2 flaws: Since it doesn't get hot enough, you have to leave it in the down position longer than with a real iron. This causes the iron to think that someone has left it unattended, so it shuts off, causing the leaking problem to be even worse than normal.

The only positive thing I have to say is that the iron is lightweight. If you really need a light iron to do things like polyesters or wrinkle-free shirts, then it might be ok, as long as you watch out for the water leaks.

All in all though, I would NOT recommend this iron. You can get better irons for less money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the quality that B&D used to!, June 16, 2013
I recently had to replace my B&D iron, so I did with a Sunbeam one, which quickly kicked the bucket. I was annoyed because I paid about three times as much for that one...so I went back to B&D. The first one broke in less than a month. So I got a replacement, and this one isn't too much better. I keep getting stuff stuck to the NONSTICK SOLEPLATE, no matter what heat setting I'm on...and it doesn't come off. Also, mine leaks sometimes onto my clothes. For the most part, it does it's job, but it's nowhere near the quality of my old one, which lasted about ten years or so! Guess they just don't make things the way they used to!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad iron, March 21, 2012
We bought this for our college-bound daughter- she never used it so when my iron died, I pulled this out of her closet. Water dribbles out, almost too light-weight, non-stick plate started to corrode (or build up burnt starch or something), and it constantly beeps, turning off- even while you're actively ironing something.

The ONLY good thing is that we spent very little money on this iron so I don't feel totally bad about wasting a few bucks. Don't waste your money or time with this iron.

1.0 out of 5 stars If I wanted to spill water on my clothes, I would do it without spending money for this Iron, May 14, 2014
Very often I ignore or discount one star reviews, especially when there are copious higher ratings. Often it's a few people ranting because the product wasn't what they expected instead of commentary on worksmanship, function, etc.

For this Iron, please do not discount these one star ratings. Everything everyone is saying about this iron leaking water is true. All over one's clothes regardless of what you try. I tried not overfilling, underfilling, moving slowly, not tipping one way or another. Just went to add more water to the iron before using it (because it looked empty). Upon picking up the cool iron it proceed to leak its entire contents onto my floor.

I have not tried ironing upside down....that might be the only way to stop this piece of junk from leaking. One of my worst purchases ever.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow... just awful., February 2, 2014
Bought at Target. Didn't take time to research and review as I wasn't really looking to get some high quality iron but it won't even turn on, and the water just leaks out all over the place. This is a product that should not be on store shelves.

YCS

4.0 out of 5 stars Use the right setting, don't leave water in it., August 2, 2012
The only issue I had was that some blue sticky spots appeared after one use. But I realized I had started to melt some poly fabric I was using because I had the setting too high. So always follow the setting guide!

Black and Decker F210 Steam Iron With Nonstick Soleplate