5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Oven for You and (If Applicable) Your Diet!
Published on March 14, 2007 by J P Falcon

2.0 out of 5 stars A review from a bachelor!
Published on March 12, 2007 by Keng

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Oven for You and (If Applicable) Your Diet!, March 14, 2007
J P Falcon (Fords, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black & Decker FC150B InfraWave Speed Cooking Countertop Oven, Black (Kitchen)
Ok, I must admit that when I took the Black & Decker FC150B InfraWave Speed Cooking Countertop Oven out of the box and felt how light it was, I thought: "What is this? A toaster oven?" Well I was quickly proven wrong as I put it through its' paces soon enough. My first use of the Speed Cooking CounterTop Oven was to cook a frozen chicken breast. I coated the rock hard bird with some olive oil and spices and then popped it in. I set it to broil and in about 25 minutes I had a golden brown piece of chicken which was moist and juicy inside. Try this in a conventional oven and you usually end up with meat with super-ball consistency. The next night I baked a fillet of catfish which was bathed in olive oil, herbs, garlic, lemon slices, and white wine. I baked it at the fish fillet setting and in 15 minutes, my meal was done to perfection!

I went out and bought 3 "pyrex" dishes which easily fit into the oven, one for baking/broiling, one deep dish for lasagna, meatloaf, and a cassarole with lid, for stews. Now what this helps me with is that I am now cooking smaller portions. One will no longer cook as if you are feeding the 8th army, leaving a slew of leftovers in the fridge. If you are single, or a couple, you will not mind that you are cooking smaller meals, because not only is it good for your waist line, you will also not waste food. Since using this oven is fast and efficient, cooking will not seem like a chore.

Now obviously if you are feeding a family of 5, this oven may not be for you.

My one caveat, as noted by others, is that the top of the oven does indeed become too hot. You will not want any children around it, but that's a good rule for any type of cooking. Some additional weight of the oven could have been used for some insulation between the inner and outer walls.

I also want to point out the complaint that you need to fiddle with the timing settings sometimes in order to cook your food the way you want. Well no one is proclaiming that this is a magic oven that will automatically have every single setting, for all types of food. Consider that when you cook in a conventional oven who know that a 1 inch rib steak will be medium in less time than a 3 inch piece. Once you use the oven a few times, you will know whether or not you will need to adjust the time of your meal without any brain strain.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Oven, January 6, 2007
After watching the infomercial several times, I could no longer resist the urge to buy one. Upon it's arrival I opened up the box, set it up on my counter and have been running it through it's paces.

I must say this oven is very light in comparison to what I imagined. As a result I store it away in it's box and just pull it out when I'm going to use it. The inside dimensions are 10-5/16" x 11" x 6". This size will accomodate the included slide rack, bake pan, and broil rack. It will also accomodate an 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" glass dish.

The oven has several settings: pizza, cookies, quick foods, speed toast, bake & roast, broil, and the convert menu. I found the speed toast setting to work very well and quickly brown toast to perfection. The pizza setting I found to be a little short on time, so I now use the add time buttons to increase the cooking times by three minutes. I've also used the convert setting to bake canned, refrigerated cinnamon rolls. It did an excellent job converting the cooking instructions into Infrawave instruction. In ten minutes (no preheating) I had perfect rolls. On items with sweet toppings (ie: sugar, cinnamon) I found that covering the top with aluminum foil for the first half of the cooking time prevents the items from burning on top.

Overall, I have been very pleased with the performance of this appliance. I will update this review once I've had time to try out the bake and roast setting and the broil setting.

Update 10/08:

I've continued to use this oven frequently and am very happy with it. The broil feature has been especially useful. I normally wouldn't broil anything as it took way too long for my electric oven to reach the necessary temperature. Plus the door needed to be propped open. That is not a problem with the Infrawave. You just stick the food in, hit the broil button, and in just minutes your steak, chicken, etc. is done to perfection. Thanks to Black & Decker for making such a great cooking product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect toast, December 21, 2006
Amazingly quick, perfectly browned toast--bread, bagels, and english muffins. And it is actually cool to watch it cook.

Haven't used it as an oven yet though. Advises against using frozen foods that are to be cooked in their plastic container even if container has oven as well as microwave cooking directions.

2.0 out of 5 stars A review from a bachelor!, March 12, 2007
Keng (Northern Chicago Suburbs) - See all my reviews
Just let me say that as a bachelor, this device was very appealing. I was looking for a way to cook & eat healthy without having to slave behind a stove every night. After watching the infomercial (both web and TV) I finally decided that I would give the infrawave a shot. I actually spotted the oven in the Black and Decker Store while I was on vacation in Wisconsin and brought it home with me on the plane.

The Infrawave comes with an assortment of literature as well as an instructional DVD which proved to be very helpful.

The first time I used it, I cooked 2 small shoulder steaks with carrots and sliced potatoes. The results were positive, but not life altering. I chalked it up to being a first timer. The vegetables did not come out soft and steaks seemed a little dehydrated (even using the conversion setting). But like I said, I was still thought it was a positive experience.

The second and final time I used it was to cook a baked potato as a snack. I used the "easy features" on the device and selected "potato" (even watched the DVD they include with the oven) the default time was 45minutes.. at the end of the cycle, the potato wasn't even half cooked so I put it in for another 10 minutes and it still was not fully cooked. This was the last straw. Why? Cause obviously you have to play with this thing in order to get the "true" correct timing for cooking certain foods. Not worth it. For $140 this thing needs to perform as advertised, I don't have time and money to waste (threw out the potato) trying to figure out how long I need to cook food. I cleaned the machine and packed it up and drove 62 miles to the closest Black and Decker store and returned it for a full refund.

Needless to say, I was disappointed that the Infrawave didn't live up to the hype. From reading other posts, I have concluded that this device is probably perfect for reheating leftovers, baked goods, toasting, and cooking "simple meals", but not preparing full course meal which is what I was looking for. Maybe this was out of the scope of the device, but I was given the impression that this thing could be a "one-stop-shop" for me. I have had better success with the combination George Foreman Grill for cooking meats and stove top cooking for veggies and rice.

Pros
- Very Easy to Use (was actually impressed)
Cons
- Does not perform as advertised.
- Pricey.
- External surface gets very very hot.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Best Friend!, June 19, 2007
T. Woodward (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have never written a review for a product before, but I want to help the person who, like me, just didn't know what to think about this thing. I saw an infomercial and I was immediately impressed by the demo where they take frozen chicken breast out and place it directly into the Infrawave oven and it comes out juicy and fabulous with no pre-heating NOR defrosting. And do you know what? It works! What were the odds of that--but even my husband had to admit that it's amazing. And it does all the other tricks as promised too. It makes all kinds of meat with the press of a pre-set, moron-proof button and it all comes out juicy and fabulous. You can dump Trader Joe's premade sauces on meat (as I did tonight pouring Thai Red Curry on two raw chicken breasts right in the metal tray that comes with the oven), push a button and voila! Quick, no-spatter, no-burn, no-babysitting, no-down-side gourmet food--perfectly cooked--and did I mention juicy? It's better than baked-in-an-oven and better than cooked-stove-top too. Way better.

I describe it to my friends as an Easy-Bake oven on steroids, with its bright, hot light doing the cooking. I've used it for frozen vegetables--it makes them palatable, which is saying something. I've used it for cubed, red potatoes that I shook in a bag with herb de Provance and garlic olive oil--awesome! I haven't yet baked sweets in it because I'm on a healthy no-sugar diet right now, so I can't attest to its performance on those sorts of items, but it seems to sort of just do everything gently yet quickly (as in no overcooking, but cooking faster than any other method except nuking), so I'd be willing to bet that it does that well too.

I hope everyone buys one so that they stay on the market, and the day this one dies, I can get another one overnighted to me, because I can't imagine having to go back to making dinner the old way.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it so far!, April 2, 2007
I received the Infrawave oven just tonight. I was really looking forward to preparing a meal (even had it planned out in advance). Getting home from work at 5:00 in the evening, leaves little time to prepare a decent meal without taking all night long to cook. I love broccoli casserole and since I had not had one in an eternity this was my test for the new oven, along with frozen hard hamburger patties from Wal-mart.

My casserole has a cook time of 35 minutes on 350, however, for years I have cooked it 50 minutes to get the center completely done, since it has four eggs in it. That is 50 minutes + reheating the oven which takes 15 minutes. Now to be fair, the oven reheats during preparation so one really can not say that is a time savings. After I prepared the casserole for cooking, I used the "convert" feature and the new "Infrawave Cook Time" turned out to be 24 minutes......l/2 the time it would take to cook in the large oven. The results were amazing. Completely done, browned on top (actually, I had to cover the top with aluminum foil the last 5 minutes or so to keep top from burning), however, it did not rise as much as it normally would in the large oven (it fell a little bit while cooling), but tasted great and and shaved 26 minutes off of the normal cooking time.

Next item was the two frozen hamburger steaks. Using the default settings for broiling hamburgers, it stated they would be done in 14 minutes and they actually were in 12. Taste? The meat was only slightly rubbery, but not so much that I did not enjoy the patty. It had a good taste. Rubbery because it was frozen to start? It cooked so quickly? Only time will tell on this one, still it was good, and quick.

I cooked a 50 minute casserole, and a 45 to 55 minute hamburger patties in in 36 minutes, and the flavor was great by any standard. Now that is time savings a working person can relate to at the end of a hard day's work. I think this is the start of a wonderful relationship between man and machine...........err, Infrawave oven that is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but over-priced, February 13, 2007
Charles (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have had this InfraWave oven for a couple of weeks and it pretty much performs as advertised ... couple of comments

(1) would be a great value at half the price.

(2) external top gets very, very hot

5.0 out of 5 stars Best appliance we have in the house, March 8, 2007
We were able to get rid of the toaster, and toaster oven and even put the microwave in the garage to use for fast defrosting. Have baked it this oven grilled steaks, fish, chicken we love it even got one for my son last christmas. Best thing since sliced bread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bachelors Dream Machine!, July 17, 2007
I bought this oven so I didn't have to defrost meat. I have cooked frozen salmon, pork loin and chicken....cooks and taste great.

I do need to cook longer then the time recommends for frozen meat...so I am still learning.

I have cooked tri-tips....and the other meats mentioned above and the inside of the oven looks like it has never been used. There is not much...if any splatter when you cook.

It browns and crisps nicely. Works perfectly for frozen french bread pizza.

Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Near-perfect, October 7, 2007
This toaster oven gets a lot of use in my house. Not only does it cut actual cooking time, but you don't waste time with preheating, either. Combine the two, and you get your food in a least half the time it would normally take. It does so many things so well, that we use our regular oven only rarely. However, it can be hit-or-miss on some things. For example:

Shake-and-bake pork chops come out fine. Chicken casseroles also come out very well.

Hot dogs are grilled fast and easy. Frozen pizza comes out great, and reheating leftover pizza is WAY better than the microwave!

Cinnamon Rolls come out perfectly! They rise to perfection, using the Convert mode of the oven.

Cookies, not so much so. With refrigerated cookie bricks, they come out perfectly browned on the outside, but undercooked on the inside. I haven't had any luck with either the Cookie or Convert mode, in this case. This is one example of something for which we still use the regular oven.