Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Candlebox Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on January 28, 2011
I bought the Black & Decker Firestorm 14.4-Volt Drill in 2002 and only used it about 20 hours that year and very little in years since. In 2006, I needed it again and the charger was dead. The new charger was able to charge the batteries but they didn't last very long and eventually wouldn't charge. The red light on the charger would not come on and the voltmeter showed zero volts. Then I saw a guy on YOUTUBE use a welder to shock the battery back to life. I didn't have a welder but I thought, why not try a car battery? I had some of these connectors that slide onto a metal tab. I don't know what they are called but I didn't want the arc to damage the battery metal. These stuck out enough that I could touch them with my jumper cables. I saw a small spark, like in the YOUTUBE video and I touched it about 4 or 5 times using only a car battery. I didn't expect it to work because in the video they were using high voltage. But, to my suprise, when testing with a battery tester it showed it was now in the green. WOW. So I slapped the charger on it and the charger light now showed it was charging, the red glow that was not on before. After about 4 hours I checked it by attaching the drill and it worked like it was new. I saved $40. I don't know how long it is going to last but maybe people are throwing away batteries that only need a jump start. I did the second battery and the results were the same. These are over 8 year old batteries! On the second battery I used a small variation. I shocked the battery in reverse for just one touch to fully drain the nicads. Then I did the 5 sparks again and it has charged up like new as well. I hope Amazon posts this because this technique doesn't sell many batteries. We'll see. By the way the PLUS Terminal is the outer one, closer to the edge of the FSB14 battery.
on December 30, 2009
The original ones lasted from 2004 to 2009 with moderate use. Then both died around the same time. I actually ordered the HPB14 packs also by Black and Decker as replacements, it's the same unit, ten dollars cheaper, just doesn't say "firestorm" on the side.

I dug up an old manual and you should charge these batteries for 9 hours on first charge, then 3-6 hours for additional uses. That is assuming you are using the original basic charger.
on October 24, 2007
I just bought this battery to replace the two original batteries, so I'm really reviewing the originals. They held up for four years with moderate (read "homeowner") use. I think that's exceptional, since I've read that getting just two years out of these batteries is good. Although I've had some trouble with Black & Decker battery chargers, the batteries themselves have performed better than expected. If the one I just bought does as well I'll be thrilled.
on September 23, 2013
This does well for a few months, but then it loses its power after short time spans. I can use this for about 30 minutes, then I have to switch it out with another one that was charging as well. I have 4 of these along with the slide charger for each battery. The charger does a good job, but these batteries don't last after a few months.
on July 12, 2014
What hogwash that people will accept 2 years as the battery life for a $35-45 battery. I have a Makita drill I have owned since the battery powered drills came out (early 80"s) and it STILL works. The CHARGER works and the BATTERY has only been replaced once. I now have been sucked in to get a 18 volt Black and Decker and the friggin battery is already dead.

Never buy a Black & Decker, even on sale. Their batteries and chargers don't work like they should. Even my AAA rechargeable batteries in my camera, which are used much more than the drill, work after 3 years. B&D is a defective product. Search for another brand where the batteries last longer and the charger doesn't fail.
on March 12, 2013
My 12.2v died a few days ago and for around the same price range i bought this rather than the 12v. I'm glad i made the buy as my drill lasts 2x longer and feels a bit more torquier with the extra power.
on March 12, 2011
After many years of great service, my battery wouldn't charge anymore. Not sure if it was the fault of the battery or the charger, I called Black & Decker who sent a replacement charger. The newer model indicated that the battery was dead. The replacement battery found through Amazon.com was the best price anywhere and, after purchasing and charging for the requisite timeframe, performed as advertised. Saw is as good as new and it didn't cost me an arm and leg.
on November 5, 2006
The battery arrived fine, but unfortunately, would not hold a charge. I had to have it replaced under warranty.
on September 10, 2007
I am glad that the Black & Decker FireStorm has accessories still available. I have had my B & A drill for several years, and just recently the charger and batteries quit working. I found a replacement charger on a different site. The replacement battery was priced right, and the shipping was fast. Now my cordless drill works better than before.
on October 27, 2005
This single battery for a 14.4volt Black and Decker drill is listed at $44.95, which is only $4.00 less than the cost of the entire drill kit that contained:

(1) Firewstorm 14.4 volt drill