Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BLACK+DECKER G48TD 3-in-1 Waffle Maker & Indoor Grill/Griddle, Silver
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 23, 2002
I love this waffle maker! It's like the ones our mom used, not those cheesy seeming plastic things they're making now. It's also got a lot of excellent features that make my life easier.
I'll mention right now that this is a VERY hot waffle maker. They make the plastic ones to be "cool touch". I'll trade the cool touch feature for the sturdier design of this versatile machine. I'm being careful and haven't burned myself yet. But it's something to consider if you'd like your children making waffles. My ten year old could be careful enough, but I keep my five and eight year olds away.
The waffles this machine makes are great! They freeze well too. The family is very happy. When the light goes of the unit is ready to make waffles. Pour in the batter and the light comes on again--wait for it to go off and the waffle is done (however, I usually go on instinct and sometimes pull out the waffle before the light goes off.)
The open grill feature makes wonderful pancakes and fried eggs. I have a big family and it's nice to have two pancakes cook at a shot without taking up all my stovetop! I can have bacon and eggs on the stove and the pancakes on the waffle maker. (I can also have a heart attack if I keep eating all these bacon and eggs!)
The sandwich feature is nice. I can cook two grilled cheese sandwiches at one time getting me out of the kitchen quicker. Some advice--cheese might drip out the side of the sandwich. Just keep the sandwich away from the back of the unit where the cables run in and the mess just wipes off--no problem. The sandwiches cook far more uniformly than they do in a pan on the stove. They taste great.
This unit cleans up easily and changing the grills from waffle to flat is easy. I recommend it over a lot of more costly models if you want more value for your money. This is the most versatile waffle maker I've found and all the features actually work!
77 comments| 944 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2002
I got this one after unsuccessfully trying the Cuisinart waffle maker. It is wonderful! None of the batters, not even gluten-free ones would stick. All waffles came out great, crisp outside and moist inside. The grill feature was a plus and makes great grill cheese or other types or grilled sandwishes in a jiffy.
0Comment| 402 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2002
Back in the 60's I loved the Sundays my Dad made waffles on a toastmaster Waffle/grill. He would add cinnamon, fruit, all kinds of things. Never stuck always light and fluffy. When I went to college my odyssey began. I have gone through 4! different brands and here is why you want this machine - Ok Betty Crocker and others may have a beeper but the waffle that comes out could have come out of a toaster, B&D lets you choose on a dark to light waffle 'zone' with a light that goes out when it reaches that temp. Even with a thick from the box batter out came the most fluffy waffle with a Belgium like crust. Take a close look at this baby it's CROME and yes it will get hot, (kids don't touch) but unlike others it CLEANS UP. Overflows are no problem. Just as good a George Forman. And grilled sandwiches were wonderful but I use old world bakery bread with brie and dry salami, again adjust for light and dark. Favorite recipe? Coco for a chocolate waffle and chocolate chip ice cream to make a sandwich. This is an 'open and closed' case and really is space saver 3 in 1 product for our family.
44 comments| 367 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2006
This is a great waffle maker!! Every time we make waffles, they flip right out just like they're supposed to. We haven't had any of them get stuck or had any of the disasters/frustrations that we've had with other waffle irons. It's actually easy to make a waffle again. Can you imagine!? I think the reason why is that the Teflon is good and it gets hot, evenly.

After you get it, my recommendation would be to FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS that comes with it. Just before preheating, brush on some vegetable oil like it says to do. (I guess you can use spray but we've found the oil at first works best.) After that, you won't need anything at all for the other batches. Also, be sure not to mess up the Teflon coating by washing it while it's still hot (let it cool off completely) or by using utensils that will scratch it up, like metal forks and scrubbers. If you take care of this sensitive Teflon, it will take care of you. I think it says not to put it in the dishwasher so you probably don't want to. Both plates, top and bottom, are completely removable and they're really easy to clean with a basic sponge...don't use the scrubby side of the sponge though...you won't need to anyway.

We've made waffles several times already and they've been perfect every time. It DOES get really hot but that's a good thing. We've also flipped it over to the grill side and that's great too. We've made quesadillas, grilled cheese sandwiches, and burgers. For burgers, it has a trench like thing around the border of the grill that the fat collects in. You'll need a little cup or something to catch it where it supposed to drip out.

If you really want it to "drain the fat away" fast like a Forman type grill, just put something under the back left leg to tilt it a bit. Don't put something under the leg that could catch fire though....again, say it with me, "It gets really hot!" We've been placing it on our stove top when we use it...if you have sensitive counter tops, do that too.

If you make a sandwich, keep the grill open and flip the sandwich as needed. Otherwise, your sandwich will get really flat. I think that's it -- It really is one of our better purchases lately and so we take good care of it. Oh, and adding a nice amount of vanilla extract to your waffle batter makes them delicious!! (wife said to throw that in) Happy Waffle'n!
11 comment| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 20, 2011
I have uploaded a picture of our 8 1/2 year old Black & Decker G48TD that was purchased in the summer of 2002, side-by-side with the new replacement I just bought this week. The old one was still working, but the no-stick finish was finally worn through, and what looked like rust was showing.

I am very happy with how long this appliance lasted. We use ours every Saturday morning for either pancakes, waffles, or french toast. That means we used ours more than 400 times.

The new one looks exactly the same...at least I don't notice any design changes.

I like the fact that the G48TD is a waffle maker and griddle in one. It cuts down on the number of small appliances I need.

The no stick finish is actually more like a stick resistant finish. After about 6 months you'll end up needing cooking spray to keep things from sticking. But it works great, and lasts a long time.

In short, I have no trouble recommending this product!
review image
on June 25, 2003
My mother has had her B&D Wafflemaker for years and it's fantastic. She bought me this one as a gift, but I have to say the quality is not nearly as good as it used to be. The chrome is very thin and the plates don't always line up easily and lock snugly into place. I had to bend the clips in the front so they wouldn't touch each other and cause the plates to come loose.
I don't agree with other reviewers that it doesn't get hot enough or bake waffles well. As long as you have a good recipe and keep them in long enough (until they stop steaming) then they will come out crisp and yummy. I don't recommend the receipe that comes with the unit- the batter is too thin. I have also used the griddle side for grilled cheese and it worked fine. Be sure to season your plates well before trying to use jellies or cheese on them.
All in all the wafflebaker works well, but the quality could be much better (especialy for the price!).
33 comments| 225 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2007
This is our second purchase of this same model over many years and have found it to be of good quality, reliable, and attractive square waffle maker. The removable cooking plates make clean up a snap and allows unit to be used for pancakes and sandwich cooking also. The temp control knob can be set to produce desired doneness everytime. I highly recommend this model.
on January 17, 2006
Those people who say they are looking for an "old fashioned waffle iron", and have actually _used_ an "old fashioned waffle iron", will enjoy this iron. I was searching for a real waffle iron, the kind that makes crispy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside waffles. This waffle iron is just the thing. It really is old-fashioned: It does get very hot on the outside, which is to be _expected_ with a chrome waffle iron - whoever is surprised by that isn't old enough to use this appliance. The non-stick plates work as well as any other non-stick pan. They still require some oiling, and the waffle recipe has to include oil as well. I keep the iron closed while it heats up; it takes about 5 minutes to reach full-heat. That's just enough time for me to mix my waffle mix and let it rest before baking. I found that if I time the waffle baking for exactly 3 minutes, the waffles come out perfect every time. This is not your child's Easy Bake Waffle Iron - if you want that, go buy one of those plastic things. For adult use only.
on February 3, 2012
I wanted to love this waffle iron/griddle combo....but it hasn't worked out between us. While I love that it's big enough to make multiple pancakes or huge waffles (theoretically), or grilled cheese sandwiches at once, I have had several issues.

First of all....to me, "nonstick" means food should not stick. Food DOES stick. Feel free to view my photo (appropriately captioned "we have had issues") of a very stuck waffle. Mamma wasn't happy that night.

Second, the griddle gets so hot that the shortening we use bakes onto it permanently, making the surface tacky and gross. Even multiple trips through the dishwasher have failed to remove this residue.

Third, this thing gets scary hot. I am afraid of it.

This must have worked well for some people, based on the good reviews I read before purchasing, but I want my old waffle iron back....the one where I could actually get my waffles out to be able to eat them.
review image
33 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2009
I've just looked over the other one star reviews to see if maybe there is a some trick to what I've started experiencing, but alas it seems like I'm part of a trend. I bought this griddle/waffle maker because after about 8 years, my previous waffle maker shorted out. It made great waffles every time. This product had the promise of doing that as well as being an all around griddle king - it looks very similar to one I grew up watching my dad use.

Well this product ain't one of those. Don't fry eggs on this thing, because you'll end up with scraped up egg roadkill. It makes good grilled cheese sandwiches and hash browns though. BUT...

The waffles. Yes I love waffles, a lot in fact. This thing worked great about three times. The time was right and the waffles came right out. But all of a sudden something changed and instead I get a sad view of the interior mid section of my waffles, like some breakfast autopsy scene. I have to thing take the metal grill plates out and soak them because the waffle batter is heat applied to both grill halves. It seems almost no amount of oil/Pam will work now. I suspect some horrible chemical film is sprayed on the metal along with whatever excuse for "non-stick" coating, and it wore off, on the food. So its now a metal piece of junk.

Why is it so hard to find a decent waffle maker these days?
22 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse