Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

Package Quantity: 1Change

on November 19, 2009
This is my second little chopper from Black and Decker. The first one chopped away for years doing everything from coffee beans to onions to nuts without a murmur of complaint. It was only after donkey years that I noticed one day that poor thing had become a merry-go-round for food, and concluded that no matter how much the food was enjoying the ride, its time had come, to go. Even so I kept it in the top closet of the kitchen for awhile just out of respect. I got a large clunky "Food Processor" that required moving things to get to and a jet engine mechanic to clean. It stayed in the cupboards between major holidays.
Then I saw this one again and said, "I have Amazon Prime and I'm getting this!" (any excuse in a storm.) It arrived, I started chopping and guess what? It is every bit as good and maybe better than the one I retired!
I love this machine. It can be top shelf dishwasher cleaned-but I don't wash stuff like this in the dishwasher-especially blades-your bladed things will last much longer if done by hand, dried immediately and put away.
I don't have any cons for this chopper-it is one of those things that does not need to be changed. The size is right, the blades are sharp the power is perfect and it really does the job. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2006
I got this as a gift from my mother when I moved to my first apartment away from home. She already had one, and loved it. I use mine quite frequently, and makes quick work of dicing onions and peppers for philly steaks or burgers. My brother and father have also since purchased these units. I have had mine going on 5 years now, not a problem with it. great value, good gift for cooks for one or two, who do not need a huge unit to chop stuff.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've owned this product for over 2 years now and have found the following to be true.

1. An excellent kitchen tool for chopping walnuts, almonds, pecans, etc..., as long as you don't plan on using it more than 10 times in a row, as the little motor can overheat. Just give it a small rest and you'll not have problems. I use it for my holiday baking (making many batches of cookies with chopped nuts in them...) without a problem.
2. Great chopping tool of onions - so 'no more tears' here!
3. The product works fast, so if you want a coarse chop, a couple pulses of the button should do it.
4. Very easy to put together and use.
5. Just as easy to disassemble and clean.
6. If the container is not seated properly in the locked position, the chopper will not work. The button will not depress, which means 'try it again'.
7. Sometimes items get stuck under the blades and do not get chopped up, so a readjustment of the contents of the container and another quick pulse or two of the machine is needed for complete chopping to occur.

An inexpensive kitchen tool I go back to again and again throughout the year. I like mine and recommend it to others.
on August 12, 2007
I've been looking for something like this for years. I used it at a friends house and immediately came home and ordered one. Hers is about ten years old she says. I have a rub/marinade recipe that is made up in a small batch and uses fresh rosemary garlic and mustard and a bit of olive oil, and its not enough for a stick blender, regular blender, or a regular food processor, but this works like a charm! It's a beautiful thing.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2012
I love this little processor. I have a feeling I'm going to burn this thing out, but for now, it's working great. I've only had it a short time but I've already used it for:

bean dip
1c cooked or 1 can of beans of your choice (1/2 can at a time, add it all together in the end to process a final time), salt/pepper to taste, lemon, a little water, a little oil, buzz to desired consistency

mini pizza dough
1c flour, 1/4 - 1/2c +/- water, 1/4 packet yeast, dash of salt, buzz just until it comes together, let it rest, then shape into a mini dough, add your pizza fixins as desired, bake 350 until desired doneness

fresh tomato sauce
chopped onions, cut up tomato (I used 2 tomatoes, in 2 batches), oregano, pepper, buzz until almost smooth, and either nuke for 4-5 min (add a little wine at the end) or cook on the stove for about 15-20 min (add a little wine at the end). I made the sauce to go with eggs over noodles, it was great!

I have parakeets and I've used this to chop celery, carrots, red cabbage, and romaine lettuce for them, and for myself to add to soups (add it to any soup I'm microwaving to make it more veggie-rich or to the Dr. McDougall's soups after I've nuked the veggies for a min. to make them a little more hearty for dinner)

This little gadget is super easy to clean, just hot soapy water and quick wipe with a sponge. Be extra careful with that blade because it's really sharp.

I wish the directions were more clear about how long you can hold the button down. It says 5-second bursts but it doesn't say if that's the max at a time so for now, I'm trying to keep it to that. Everything I've made so far has been very quick, and it would have taken me much longer, and much more effort had I done it all by hand. This chopper made it fun. I have a 7-cup processor but I hate taking it out. Unlike this one, that one doesn't have a safety feature so I worry a lot when using it. This 1-cup processor won't work unless you've clicked it into place properly. And there's just one button to push to get it going.

Quick, easy, fun, my kind of gadget.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2009
I love my Black & Decker chopper. It is small and convenient and you do not have to pull out a bulky appliance. I use this small chopper for most of my cooking. It is perfect for onions, breadcrumbs, and other items that you may need daily. I would be careful with hard cheeses and make sure that you cut them into smaller sizes. Best of all, it is dishwasher safe. It is a regular in my kitchen.
on April 11, 2009
I have had an older version that still works to this time even after 6 years. Last year I bought a newer version that looked like the one on the photo above, because i was impressed with the older version but was concerned that the blades were getting dull. However, when chopping carrots or even onions, a chunk would, at some point, get trapped between the cover and the top of that blade's central piece, or the blade itself would tend to rise upward due to the effect of the cetrifugal force then would be disengaged from the rotator so the blades stopped rotating. Very frustrating! So I threw the new one away after several days of trying to use it, and put back the old version on my countertop, which to this day I am still using to chop small amounts of veggies (I do have a Cuisinart 11-cup food for bigger amounts and for pureeing). Too bad the new blades would not fit in the old chopper. They don't sell the older version now, which was labeled "Handy Chopper Plus" and has got a bigger switch (another feature that I found better than the round button in the new one).
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2007
I own an older version of this appliance, which I mainly use for chopping nuts, herbs and sometimes onions. It does a superb job on all these tasks. I like that you can readily control the operation with the pulse button. It's so easy to clean. Best of all, it's still kicking after *fifteen years* of use. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2013
The product is horrible. First of all its very noisy so if you live in an apartment, don't even think of using it in the middle of the night. The other thing is the quality of the jar, its bad. It started to deteriorate in less than a month (I've posted the picture). I also understand that I cannot get a replacement of the jar, so in the end its just a piece of junk that I have to throw in the trash.
review image
on November 9, 2006
This little chopper does wonders. It chops nuts and veggies like a much bigger chopper. It's super sturdy. I keep all of my walnuts etc. in the freezer to keep them fresh and this chopper chops the frozen nuts wonderfully. I was leary at first, hanging on to my old crank nut chopper handed down from my husbands mother. It didn't take me long to toss the old one away. I just love this chopper and use it for all my cooking needs. A wonderful purchase at a wonderful price.