5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DIY'er jigsaw.
Published on January 15, 2010 by PenName

3.0 out of 5 stars reasonable value
I have used mine a lot over the past two years for guitar building,
making straight and curved cuts in many kinds of wood.
pros:
- gets the job done
- handy compartment for blades
- reliable (for me, at least)
cons:
- base angle setting adjustment is crude
- smart select dial is confusing
I see lots of complaints about this saw...
Published on February 11, 2012 by Flatfive

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DIY'er jigsaw., January 15, 2010
This review is from: Black & Decker JS660 Jig Saw with Smart Select Dial (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've use this for a week doing tons of home improvement projects. It won't be used that often once everything's done, so I wanted a decent quality saw at the lowest price possible. I believe ratings should not compare cadillacs to neon's even though they're both cars. This mid-low priced jigsaw has cut holes in 1/2" pine wood like butter...get the right blades for every tool/project! At this time the saw only came with a metal cutting blade so spent a couple bucks on a good wood blade. It's also cut 3" PVC pipe (while rotating it). I'm a home DIY'er so maybe all jigsaw's only cut to a 3/4" depth, but I do wish they'd cut deeper, seems a waste of blade length. I cut the legs off some too-high bar stools by holding the stool with a knee and chest. Likely improper, but it buzzed through the legs on the straight line. Since I'm not a pro, I do not try to rush cuts and maybe that's the difference in cutting a straight line with this jig.

Of course on softer drop ceiling tiles it was a dream. They've always fit too tight and chipped away at a bunch of things with a razor knife before buying this jig, what a difference that made! I've done more jobs and you don't have to select a speed for the job obviously. If you want higher speed and the picture suggests lower, just turn up the dial anyway. It's also very comfortable in my hand. There shouldn't be many home improvement projects for the average person that this jig can't handle imo. The strokes per minute range is 800-3,000 which has been plenty of power that's spared my arm manually sawing, and within it's class of jigsaws, I give it 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars reasonable value, February 11, 2012
Flatfive (Naperville, Illinois) - See all my reviews
I have used mine a lot over the past two years for guitar building,
making straight and curved cuts in many kinds of wood.
pros:
- gets the job done
- handy compartment for blades
- reliable (for me, at least)
cons:
- base angle setting adjustment is crude
- smart select dial is confusing
I see lots of complaints about this saw being unable to cut straight.
This problem will depend a lot on wood type, thickness,
whether going across or with the grain, technique, sharpness of your
blade, and whether trying to follow a curved or straight line. If you
have a not-so-sharp blade and try to push the saw harder than it
likes along the grain on thick or hard wood, it will be hard to
control the cut. The 'smart select' dial is confusing because,
from the pictures printed on the saw itself, it's often hard to
know what setting to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great jigsaw for the money, January 19, 2010
I have read the many reviews on here about this saw, I myself am impressed with this saw it does have a slight bit of blade drift for say a few degrees, just like anything learn the tool then you can cut straight or straight enough!!!! If it is precision you need then use a skill saw or mitre saw, jig saws are intended for shorter cuts and scrolling cuts not acurate straight long cuts.
With that all said I realize that you can spend the money and get one that will cut almost straight and perfect just like anything else. For 40 dollars people are too picky I cross cut a 2 X 4 in half and the cut was perfect vertically and was able to cut straight with it so i know that on 3/4 boards it would do even better!!!I used a real good quality bosch blade. To sum it all up I think it is a great little jig saw and seem to be well built ((remember black and decker is associated with dewalt)) so it cant be that bad.

Eric

4.0 out of 5 stars OK for the price, September 22, 2012
Purchase this saw with the suggested Black & Decker 75-626 assorted blades.

First, if you want a straight cut this is not the saw for you.
My project consisted of cutting a few 2x4 to make a frame. Using this saw I found out that you need to cut at a very slow speed to kind of get a straight cut but if you push a little hard the wood will be around 1/4 longer on the under side because the blade seems to flare out as you cut.
Also, you need to keep the saw kind of pointed a little to the left as you cut because if you try to cut with the saw pointed straight with the line, the saw cut tends to go to the right.

When tying to cut metal using the suggested Black & Decker 75-626 blades, it was impossible to cut because as soon as I put a little pressure forward the blade with fly out of the saw. Tried several times making sure the blade was installed in the saw correctly. I also moved forward super slow and it didn't make a difference.
The saw comes with 1 T-shank style blade so I ended up returning the Black & Decker blades and purchased the Bosch T5002 10-Piece T-Shank blades.
As soon as I received the new blades I tried cutting the same metal material and didn't have a problem with the blades flying out of the saw; the blades seem to stay in place.
I would suggest buying only the T-Shank style blades for this saw.

I thought about returning the saw and getting something better but I will keep it because I basically use it instead of my hand-saw and it is not very expensive.
If I needed a saw for precise cuts I would definitely get something better.

You get what you pay for :-)

BTW - Amazon was great and very helpful when I called to return the blades. They also asked if I wanted to return the saw but I think I'll keep it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Issues, June 3, 2013
The saw works and it cuts but the plate at 0 is not flat (as in 90 degrees to the blade). That's not the worst part though. I leveled it out using a square, then while cutting with it, as I turn corners the saw tilts on the base. Even with it completely locked and tightened. So my project was ruined because as I was turning corners the saw tilted side to side. If you are doing rough work and don't care, then the saw is probably fine, if you are trying to build something nice, don't waste your time on this saw. I was so upset at this saw and how my project was messed up, I had to go back and router out the mistake and then it was smaller than I wanted but I was so deep into the project I just dealt with it. Save up and get a good saw.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's better than I could imagine, January 17, 2010
In my point of view, this machine is just perfect to cut anything, from hard wood to plastic. I've been using it a lot and till now, it has just corresponded to my needs.
At the beginning I was a little bit uncomfortable to see the slightly crooked blade and thought it was going to hamper my job. How mistaken I was! On the contrary, it makes any job easier. As the blade is tilted slightly forward, there's no wood that resists to its cut.

Perhaps some people will find it weird, since we are used to straight angles, but after using it for a while, I realised that this machine is just perfect to work with all kinds of woods, plastic and metal. The tilted blade makes no difference in my job or any kind of cut; it's just a matter of practice.

I'm very comfortable and happy with this jigsaw, so I'm giving it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice, January 21, 2011
Harold K. Oliver (Grantsville, UT USA) - See all my reviews
I choose this after reading a review of a handyman. It has been perfect for me. I appreciate the settings for different materials. We have used on hard wood and laminate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Catastrophe with a motor., November 18, 2012
I don't believe I've ever done another one-star review. However, that being said, the B&D JS660 - at least the one I have - can't cut a straight line. I realize that it may sound like the carpenter blaming the tool, but in this case no. I made plenty of blunders all by myself, so I really do know the difference. The saw as it came out of the box had a persistent tendency to cut leftward. Fences did not help. Instead the blade would literally bend and the saw would attempt to actually climb the fence. No reduction in cutting speed helps. I was unused to hand held saber saws and assumed initially that operator error was the problem - miss-set fence, misunderstood instructions, too cheap to buy good blades. But no, sometimes it really is not your fault. As far as I can tell the tool-less blade insertion either does seat the blade properly, or simply is not properly aligned. Unfortunately, assuming that I was the problem, I spent the entire warranty period trying to understand my error - whatever it might be. Assuming my saw is just a lemon that slipped through the QC net, I would strongly advise making a series of test cuts of all types, and in all sequences to insure the saw really does set up properly and can be returned to that state after making a different sort of cut. In short, do your own quality control before assaulting an innocent piece of wood with serious expectations.

2.0 out of 5 stars Functions, but not accurate, July 19, 2013
I used this jigsaw fairly consistently for a few month prior to writing this review. The Black and Decker jigsaw blades make anything look bad. I bought some nice Bosch jigsaw blades and now it cuts fairly nicely. Problem is, the "accu-bevel" is a joke. When it clicks into "zero", it is actually about 7 degrees off. This means that you have to tighten it down in between its set points in order to get a right angle cut (which for me was almost always wanted). When you do that though, it slips fairly easily. I actually ruined part of a piece of oak furniture I was building by using this in one spot. I hadn't realized that the bevel had slipped a little since the locking mechanism was so weak. It cut diagonally into the wood.

I have also tried the different settings of the smart select dial and I frankly can't tell much difference, but that doesn't really matter as much to me. Also, within 10 mins of on and off use, the unit became so hot I could hardly hold it and had to set it down to cool off.

Pros:
- Price
- Functional for very rough cuts

Cons:
- Doesn't lock angle well and 90 degree default is off.
- Included blade isn't clean or fast cutting
- Heats up very hot very quickly
- Not suitable for finish work or any level of detail

3.0 out of 5 stars Blade wander, July 31, 2012
Pros:
. Decent power for most purposes
. Orbit - "Smart Select Dial" has presets on whether the orbit is used, turned down low, or not at all, depending on the material selected.
. Bevel angle adjustment - quick and tight
. Cheap

Cons:
. Blade wander - can't cut straight
. A Rip Fence is shown in the manual which serves as a guide to cut straight, but it's not included nor sold anywhere. I bought this Milescraft 14000713 Saw Guide for Circular and Jig Saws, but it doesn't fit tightly through the holes on the shoe, so it's useless.
. Smart Select dial is confusing. It's basically just different combinations of speed and orbits. I much rather have the ability to adjust speed and orbit independently.

Jigsaw isn't for cutting perfectly straight. We know that, but there are ways to make it cut reasonably straight, like the use of the roller blade guide, which this B&D has. In case you don't know what it is, that's the little wheel that the blade rests on near the shoe. Some manufacturers create a slot on that roller guide that's very deep and tight for the blade to fit in so that it doesn't wander around much. This B&D has a poor implementation for it. Add to the insult is the spring loaded blade lock that's not very tight neither. The result is that all of my cuts are slanted one way or another. When I attempted to correct, I got wavy cuts.

I'll keep the jigsaw for non-demanding jobs, but will buy a circular saw for straight cuts.

March 2013 update

Cut through metal with ease. I bought some Bosch high-speed metal blades, and this little Black & Decker can cut through serious steel plates 1/4" thick and chop off 1/2" bolts. Just need some cutting oil to reduce heat, or in my case I used WD-40.

Black & Decker JS660 Jig Saw with Smart Select Dial