4.0 out of 5 stars Useful tool - But inflator died suddenly
So far this unit has performed well. I used it to jump-start a raggedy old farm tractor, and the little box seems to have an impressive amount of cranking power (for short bursts, anyway).

Published on November 8, 2009 by John K.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this model for the tire inflator
I've owned this for almost a year now, and I can honestly tell you, buy the jump starter without the tire inflator.

The jump starter works great, the internal battery lasts a very long time, and this unit is very well made for the most part.

Published on March 9, 2011 by Richard T

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful tool - But inflator died suddenly, November 8, 2009
John K. (Gaylord, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black & Decker JUS500IB 500 Amp Jump Starter with Built in Compressor (Automotive)

I like the layout of the controls and indicators. Clear, easy to read, easy to access. I'd prefer to see the jumper cables stowed in a sealed compartment, but they seem pretty secure. Keep the clamps clean, and there shouldn't be any issues storing this in a car.

I've used the inflator twice to inflate a car and a truck tire. Takes awhile to get a tire up to pressure, but not bad for a tiny compressor. It should be adequate as an emergency air source. Took me about 8 minutes to bring the car tire up from 25 PSI to 45 PSI (under the weight of the vehicle). Really not that bad, but it's awfully noisy and crude. I wouldn't expect a long lifespan if used a lot.

Storage for the inflator hose is cheesy. It's stuffed into a tiny compartment, and you have to really kink the hose to stow it. The maximum length of the hose is about 2 feet, which may a problem with taller tires. Honestly, the inflator comes across as a cheap add-on gimmick.

A major gripe I have is that unit has no provision for backup power. Depending on how long the battery remains charged in storage, it may lack the juice to power the unit in an emergency. Why couldn't B&D include a 12V cigarette adaptor? This could be used to run the inflator, or charge the battery when no AC power is available. For a unit that's supposed to be a piece of emergency gear, this seems like a glaring oversight. Could have been a five-star rating if not for that issue.

Overall, I'm pleased with this purchase. For under 100 bucks, It's not a bad choice.

UPDATE: 12 Jan 2010
The inflator died on me, with less than 4 hours total runtime. The motor was cranking away, but there was no air pressure. Brought it to a B&D service center, and paid $15 to have a new one shipped to my home. No hassle at all returning the unit, and the replacement is working fine. Maybe I just got a lemon, so I'm not going to downgrade the rating. Will check back at a later date.

UPDATE: 23 Aug 2011
Working fine after 10 hours on the compressor. I was advised not to store the unit very long in sub-freezing temperatures. This apparently can damage the compressor, which may be the reason my first unit failed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful and effective portable jump starter, February 9, 2010
This review is for the Black & Decker JUS500IB 500 Amp Jump Starter with Inflator

I received this last week, plugged it in to charge the battery, and planned to leave it in the garage. I wasn't planning on writing a review until I used it, until this morning when I needed jump-start my car because "someone" left the lights on overnight. Sure enough, I put this baby to work immediately and the engine started (no surprise there).

What I was surprised about was that I needed to connect both the positive and negative to their respective terminals. At first, I connected the negative clamp to the chasis (like how I would normally jump a car), but my car would not start. I tried several places along the non-painted metal frame part and even the engine block of the dead car to no avail. As a last resort, I connected it to the bolt of the negative post (while wearing eye protection), and the car started. I know this is a no-no, but nothing else worked, and I needed to go to work. I'll troubleshoot at a later time (or most likely never). UPDATE: I've since used this on various automobiles (including the problematic car described above), and connecting the negative clamp to the chasis works perfectly fine now. I'm not sure what happened since, but now it is working fine following the proper useage.

Now, I keep it in the trunk, just in case. It has a nice compact body, so it does not take up much space. I like the light on the unit, but it is also a bit awkward to use (it points UP, rather than down), so I had to hold the unit upside down to see what I was doing. I have yet to use the inflator, so I have nothing to contribute about it. I did try it, and it seems to work. The compartment for the hose is awkward (behind a small plastic door underneath), but at least the hose is stored and not dangling around.

It does not come with an extension cord, which is required for charging. Luckily, I had one available, but it would have been nice to have come with one (even a six-footer would be nice). (Minus half star)

Overall, a very nice portable jump starter. I have a project car that constantly needs a jump, and I found this jump starter readily handy. For those who do not anticipate to use it a lot, this unit may be a bit overkill, and there are other smaller and cheaper alternatives. Highly recommended. Will update in a few months.

Note to Amazon: This product comes with an "AC charger," and not an "air conditioning charger." Please make the appropriate change in the product description section.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this model for the tire inflator, March 9, 2011

The weak link is the tire inflator. It overheats very quickly depending on the outside temp. In hot sunny weather it began smoking in a few minutes. Within a few months of regular usage (I have a bad rim on my car), the inflator completely died. It ran, it just has no air pressure.
I guess in an emergency the inflator would do it's job, but for regular usage, buy a better inflator.

The light works well, but points straight up.
The usb charger worked as it should.

I'd give 5 stars except for the inflator.
My rating is 3 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, June 29, 2010
Bought for my husband as a gift and he takes it everywhere. Used it 2X's to rescue boats on the lake. Keeps our car tires inflated. Handy for bikes and rafts. It's a GREAT piece of machinery!! Worth the investment!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent jump starter with one flaw..., August 7, 2010
This product serves its purpose to perfection. I have used this to start my car 3 times. I also used it to start my mothers van which was dead for about 3 months. Each vehicle started up in less than a minute. Usually within 20 seconds. The only criticism is that apparently it seems to have a problem with the inflator because mines went out as well. I purchased this product at my local walmart and they replaced it. My second unit has been trouble free and works perfectly. Highly recommended for emergency situations. I would purchase this product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps its promises and then some, August 1, 2013
I keep a spare car at my summer home. I knew that it would have a dead battery and low tires when I got there after 3 months. I ordered it on Amazon and it arrived the same day I did. The sticker on the box says charge for 48 hours. It was ready in 3 hours. It started my car and pumped the tires. Esay to use and very powerful. First class. My own private AAA

1.0 out of 5 stars An emergency truck would have been cheaper!, November 4, 2013
I purchased this product from Amazon 2 1/2 month ago for $80. I fully charged it initially as recommended. About a month ago I used it to jump-start a truck - worked great. I recharged it after use. Then two weeks ago I used it to inflate a bicycle tire - again worked great, and again I plugged it in to recharge. Last week I went to use it a third time. There was no charge showing on the tester. When I plug it in, it shows fully charged on the tester, but when I remove the plug, it shows no charge and is unusable. Several days charging has no effect. I am very disappointed in B&D for producing a product that only works twice - even one star is too much. I will see if it can be repaired, but the nearest service center is 150 miles away, and it's way too heavy to pay shipping on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only as good as the weakest link, September 4, 2013
The second time I used the tire inflator, the plastic clamp/attachment at the end of the hose snapped off when I was pulling it off the valve stem of the tire. The help person from Baccus Global, which manufactures this for Black & Decker, said he hadn't heard of this before. But after-the-fact I checked the reviews of a similar Black & Decker product on Home Depot's site and found that other people had had the attachment snap off on first use. It's a shame, because the product otherwise seems to be well-made.

1.0 out of 5 stars BAD PURCHASE, December 15, 2012
My Black & Decker 500-Amp. jump starter lasted for 1 year and only two starts. It no longer will recharge. You are much better off spending another $50 and purchase a commercial duty unit. The reliability is poor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, December 14, 2013
This is a very handy product to carry in your car. I compared prices of several units bith online at at retail stores and found this one to be a good value for the price. It is easy to carry around and charges up rather quickly.