Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BLACK+DECKER LHT2436 24-Inch 40-Volt Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Style Name: Includes 40v Battery|Change
Price:$68.59 - $427.95

on August 23, 2012
I wasnt going to say anything about my experience with this hedge trimmer, but then I saw another reviewer with similar experience. I too stunk up the yard within a week of getting my trimmer. It seemed to be working great initially and trimmed small forsythia bushes great. However within a short period it started to clatter. I never cut anything larger than about 1/8" and only recharged the battery once. After 10 minutes use after the second battery charge dense white smoke poured out of the motor compartment, and that was that. Amazon however made it very easy to return for which I am very grateful.
44 comments|115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2013
I bought these to trim some juniper and boxwoods in my yard. In the past I've used corded electric trimmers and I seem to excel at cutting the extension cord. My first few experiences with these were very good. They performed well and were easy to manage. However, this morning, as I began to trim a bush, they began somking as if the engine were on fire. They are now dead. I bought them just four months ago and used them a few times for short intervals. I cannot recommend anyone else purchase them. I guess I need to determine if a warranty exists for them, but if there is not an easy process they're headed for the trash. If B & D replaces them, or repairs them, I'll update this review. I'll just have to be more careful with my corded trimmers.

I called Black and Decker. The company gave me a shipping label for a repair center about 90 miles away. The repair center authorized the shipment of a new unit which came today. From the day I shipped the defective unit it took 10 days for a replacement to arrive. Frankly that's impressive in this age of crappy service from big companies. I've changed my rating to five stars because the trimmers do a great job and the warranty is real.
on August 26, 2012
Free at last! The LHT2436 cordless is a time machine that turns an hour into 30 minutes and it's fun to use on top of it.

I bought (and used) the Black and Decker 20 volt pole trimmer on my 8 - 10 foot ornamental trees. I was so impressed that I found a very good price on the 36 volt hedge trimmer and bought it under the influence of extreme excitement. I charged the Li-Ion battery the evening of the first day and could hardly wait until the dew was off the hedges to use it the next morning. Well, it was as good as my sugar plum dreams. The hedges, all 110 feet - all three sides were done in 20 minutes! Wow! This included four majestic yews. Wow again! This is a 40 minute job using my beloved and faithful 24" corded Hedge Hog trimmer. The PITA 100 feet extension cord wasn't lugged or plugged anywhere. I walked out my front door - cordless trimmer in hand and tackled my bi-monthly task of trimming. Twenty minutes isn't enough for me to break into a good sweat. I am dripping wet with my hedge hog friend at the end of the same task.

THE TOOL:
I'm going to compare the LHT2436 with my 5 year old Hedge Hog. They are both 24" trimmers made by B&D. I love - spelled L.O.V.E - my hedge hog. A faithful tool and friend that has renovated and elevated my ordinary yard to near garden status. My age and girth are making my yard trimming activity a major undertaking. The cordless LHT2436 has given me another 10 years and taken away 20 lbs. I didn't realize how much work it is to move and work around a very long 14 gauge extension cord until I didn't have to do it.

The LHT2436 is pretty although not quite as beautiful as the Hedge Hog.

Both appear to be quality and robust but I give the nod to my Hedge Hog because it is a proven work horse. The blades on the cordless look just a little more stout.

The cordless is just under 8lbs and is light enough to be considered reasonable. Not quite as light as my Hedge Hog (by about 1 pound).

It is quiet in hedge trimmer standards; about 50% quieter than my Hedge Hog but more on that later.

The blades appear to be Stainless alloy. My Hedge Hog appear to be hardened carbon steel. After 5 seasons my Hedge Hog blades still seem to be sharp. Time will tell for the LHT2436. I know my stainless steel pocket knife gets dull doing nothing.

It is powerful but the blades do not seem to be moving as fast as my Hedge Hog. This factor didn't seem to hinder the speed of cutting and it may be the reason it is quieter than the hedge hog.

Power consumption was not an issue. The battery did the whole 30 - 35 minute job with 50% battery. My Hedge Hog would do the same work in an hour or so and power was always available unless I pulled the cord(s) out of a receptacle or my wife would turn the basement light switch off. The light switch controls power to my outside GFI receptacle.

Fatigue factor was less with the cordless but not quite so much as the time difference would indicate. In other words, minute for effort the Hedge Hog is easier. Just too many minutes are required. What I really liked about the cordless was the extension cord coiling, carrying and stowing is reduced to detaching a battery and plugging it into the charger. Work wise for me, that is huge.

Ergonomically speaking, the cordless is not so much compared to my hedge hog and is my only complaint to date. The battery on the cordless is an obstacle when trimming the sides of the hedges. It makes hard contact with side of my forearm just behind the wrist. I over come this with some body english which is less than comfortable positioning but bearable. The hedge hog has no such issue. End of comparison.

Speaking of the battery: I'm crazy about the power level indicator on the battery pack. A micro momentary push button shows power remaining with 4 little LEDs. The battery installs to the trimmer with a solid click and is latched with a button. The battery ejects an inch or so when released via two small springs in the battery compartment. The plug-in desk-top charger couldn't be easier to use or interpret. A flashing green sizable LED tells you it is charging. A solid light says full with no need to remove the battery from the charger until needed.

Conclusion: If you can afford it and need it; buy it. I have 5 favorite tools - now 6. The LHT2436 is a sincere and very useful tool. Nothing on the box is hype. It is all true and lives up to the verbiage. Black and Decker is so confident in this product that they support a 30 day satisfaction return policy AND a 3 year warranty. They will get my cordless hedge trimmer back when they pry it from my cold dead fingers or when I can no longer afford my property taxes and have to sell everything for medicine.

Seriousness aside; here's a little off topic addendum:

Accept it or not, Lithium power cells are changing the modern world. Light weight and a quantum leap in power that outlasts and outperforms NiCd and NiMh. They are as much as 35% lighter too.

We have 110 feet of 5 foot high boxwood hedges, several ornamental trees and other shrubbery. But my favorites are the 8 to 10 foot plum trees and Viburnum that I have trained into geometric form. They're my pride and joy when it comes to the lawn-scape. My yard tools are very important to me. Hence, I am enamored out of measure at the current cordless tools available. I write reviews like this to extend and prolong my joy at using and owning these modern marvels. Thanks for reading!
33 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 28, 2012
Style Name: Includes 40v Battery|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First I let it charge over night then I put it to work. I trimmed a few small things first to get used to it but then put it to work on a 60 foot long by 10 foot high laurel. Half way through the battery check light said it was done but it was still going strong after 2 hours. I decided to charge again over night and finished the other half the next day. I cut 2 to 3 feet off the top of the laurel plus down the sides. If I had two batteries I could have done it in one day easily.

It is phenomenal not having a cord attached or having to deal with the loud and smelly gas options. It isn't too heavy and having at times to use only one hand to reach deep wasn't that difficult. Well balanced holding it with the two handles making it easy to control. From leaves to stock about 3/4 inch thick it had no problem.

The only problem of course will be the usual maintenance and keeping it sharp.

I love this machine. I was having a ball and trimmed a few things for my neighbor. I now have battery operated lawn mower, sweeper, edger and hedger in my yard maintenance arsenal. NO MORE CORDS!
on June 12, 2012
Wow! What a great product! So happy I got this trimmer. I've had the hedge trimmer for a week and have used it once.

As a replacement to my old electric hedge trimmer, there is no comparison. The B&D cordless has a longer cutting bar, and is so much easier to use, lightweight and powerful with the 36Volt battery pack. I suppose if you have a flat yard and easy access to outlets all around your yard or house, there's no reason to go to the expense of a cordless. But I have a large yard that is mostly uphill from my house. Before I always dreaded trimming the tall hedge on the very top of the hill, because it meant pulling out the 100 foot extension cord and dragging it up the hill, and then getting the cord tangled in the bushes and cut branches. I'd probably paid someone to do it for me (at $50 each time) at least twice because I hated doing it so much. So this trimmer was a good investment. It was so easy with this cordless trimmer. I'd put off the hedge trimming for a long time, so there was a lot to do. I started at the top and worked my way down. It took less than an hour, and I never lost power to the trimmer. I went through the tall Lantana, some sage, honeysuckle and other bushes with ease. There were even some woody stems that it handled easily.

The only thing I'd have asked for is some kind of bundle deal. I also have recently purchased the 36Volt cordless string trimmer. Since the battery is half the cost of this machine (replacement batteries are $89), it would be nice if Black & Decker would bundle these tools so you only have to pay for one battery. However, if the batteries do die in the middle of a job, it's nice to know that there's a back-up battery on the charger.
on July 13, 2012
Let me start off by saying that I have always borrowed my dad's corded black and decker hedge trimmer for the 3 years I've owned my house. I used his 100ft power cord that looked like a candy cane from the amount of tape to patch up all the previous times he had cut through the cord.

Well last year I did the same thing and cut right through the cord and swore I'd never do it again. This year I bought a nice $40 100ft extension cord, borrowed his trimmer and went to town (today as a matter of fact). I was extremely careful knowing first hand what happened last year and what happened? I cut right through the cord again like butter.

Fed up with trying to patch the thing together and angry beyond belief at destroying my $40 extension cord that I used for the first time I purchased this trimmer. I read some quick reviews online and nearly settled for a 19.2v craftsman model and also looked at a ryobi 24v model but I wanted something that would act like the corded model performance wise just minus the cable.

I brought the B&D 36volt home, the battery was already 90% charged and I went to town with the rest of the hedges. I have around 90ft of boxwood to trim along with other random bushes and it performed extremely well. It cut through everything I expected and then some, bogged down only on larger branches (which the corded model also would bog down on), the weight is very good, and the battery lasted for the entire yard on a charge. Seeing as though this is the first day I can't rate the reliability but I for one can happily retire my extension cord to other duty in the house with tools that won't cut through it.
on May 13, 2016
I have been using this for a day and I love it. Just upgraded from the Black & Decker 24' 24volt nicad version which is from 2010 or 2011. The nicad battery in the old trimmer lasted about 20 minutes. The 40v lithium ion battery in this one lasts about an hour which is a big improvement.

I have used the trimmer for 4 hours which is for 4 charges. It cuts great and is lighter than my old model. The 40v battery weighs about half of the old 24v nicad battery. It takes a little over an hour to charge which is a big improvement over the old one which took about 12 hours to charge the battery.

I am still getting used to the on switch as it is a bit different than the old one and hard to get used to.

The new trimmer has a bigger cutting surface compared to the older one I had. That helps it cut the brush easier. We live in Arizona and are not cutting your normal hedges. It is scrub oak and other native plants that need to be trimmed along the 1/4mile dirt road.

Before using I put a drop of oil on each cutting blade and that seems to help the trimmer and motor from overheating or such. My old Black and Decker trimmer died in less than a year and was replaced under warranty. The replacement 24v lasted about 4 years and it is the battery that has died.

The 40v hedge trimmer is a big improvement and is easier and more powerful. I think it is worth the extra money to purchase this model over their 20v version. More power seems better.

Also I saw in another review they had trouble with stuff getting caught in the blades. So far for me it only happens when the battery is getting run down. Not a big deal for me as it lets me know time to think about recharging the battery.
review image review image review image review image
on August 21, 2012
My previous Black and Decker was a plug in model model which I received at no cost as a promotion giveaway 30 years ago. I have recently grown frustrated dragging around the cord and periodically plugging it in again. After 30 years, the blades were getting a little dull also. When I first saw this product advertised, I knew it was time for an upgrade.
Since then I have been ecstatic about this tool. It has power, longevity of battery life, a nice long bar and light weight. It exceeded my expectations and probably would most other homeowners. I highly recommend it to anyone except those who have an inordinate amount of trimming to do.
on June 22, 2015
I like the hedge trimmer - easy to use and believe me I am very inexperienced; however, it says for proper maintenance, use the sheath showed in exhibit 8 of the instruction manual BUT there is NO Sheath / covering to put on the blades when storing it.
review image
on August 21, 2015
I bought this as an upgrade from my previous Black & Decker 18V. I have been using it for about 2 months now, for small home jobs.

At first I felt it wasn't working as good because it was just too easy to cut through the bushes. It had much less vibration from my previous model which makes it easier to work with. It is such a relief to have a battery that lasts significantly longer and that only takes a couple hours to charge, as opposed to having to charge over night like my 18V.