Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on December 16, 2008
I am of the senior citizen class of 1938. I have had many tools in my lifetime with a keen eye always on the lookout for something new and useful.
Well I found one that covers both criteria and even though I have owned it for about 3 months it has been well used.
Anyone that does any amount of household maintence will be delighted with the Black & Decker SmartDriver with the Magnetic Screw Holder. It makes every job much easier and that is why I titled the review "The third hand."
Charles C. Anderson
Shawano, Wisconsin
22 comments|233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 16, 2010
For higher quality and heavier duty tools I usually would not pick Black & Decker, but their quality has been improving and their innovation is frequently ahead of the other manfacturers, so I though I would try this new Lithium powered screw driver with a built in screw holder and led light because of its combined features. I must say I was very surprised to find a pocket sized driver with a variable clutch that has plenty of power to drive most screws with relative ease. The magnetic screw holder works very well and and even though it's plastic construction may not be up to the quality of the rest of the tool, I can understand that some flexibility in the plastic holder is necessary to accomodate different screw diameters. Overall I am impressed with all aspects of the tools operation except for the braking force of the motor which takes a little longer to stop than higher grade drivers. But this should not be a real problem for the average home project because the motor is not as strong as some other higher torque drivers and accordingly is less likely to strip a screw head as long as force is applied to the screw for the extra fraction of a second until the motor stops from use of the clutch or letting up on the trigger.

I did not disassemble the drill to inspect its drive mechanism. I suspect the gears are made of a high strength polymer, and not steel, based upon the weight and the quite comfortable balance of the tool. All other parts of the tool, mostly a type of strong plastic) seem to be of high or higher quality one would expect a tool made for this purpose. Overall, subject to any long term problems which could surface, I am impressed with this driver and I think it is a perfect tool for one to have around the house to take on minor fixit or construstion projects. I am most pleased with the amount of power that it delivers with a 3.6 volt battery and its overall comfort and convenience given its reasonable cost. I am considering buying one for my wife for her occasional needs when I am not around and so I will know that mine is where I store it if she had a need for one. Keep it charged for use and I think you will be quite satisfied.

Review update as of November 29, 2011: I have used this tool regularly for some time for around the house projects. I am not sure how I missed this weakness, but it is important enough to mention. The on/off/reverse switch does not permit gradual increases in speed by depressing the trigger gradually. Since the tool has an adjustable clutch, this may not be a significant weakness in the tool's performance. When you depress the trigger, it turns the tool power to full-on. There is no ability to start the tool and gradually increasing speed. If gradual speed control is important to you, you better be prepared to spend more for a tool with this feature.
22 comments|94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2010
This would have been be the last cordless screwdriver I would ever buy if it wasn't for one tiny detail; battery life is horrible. I was very disappointed when I ran out of battery after drilling 8 (eight) 1.5" screws into drywall. Excellent torque on the first four screws though. If you can afford it, I recommend you buy 2 and use them for very light projects since the battery can not be replaced on these. Otherwise, save your money and buy a real cordless drill!
1212 comments|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2010
Great little gadget but low on power. We had another electric screwdriver in the past that really outdid this one. But once you buy it and use it, you're stuck with it. You have to make sure the red light is lit or it won't charge. It doesn't sit really well on the charging things. Great for hanging pictures and light jobs. Just don't try hanging window blinds with it.
44 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2009
I often only have one hand to work with and this screwdriver makes jobs around the house so much easier. I hesitated buying it because of the price, but decided to get it mostly because of the magnetic screw holder. I am glad I did because it has made a huge difference for me. Enough power for many odd jobs and makes tasks much less frustrating! Also, being a woman, I appreciate the fact that this is very light. I bought it at Target...it's a tad cheaper there.
on November 8, 2012
Hello,

I bought this unit a few months ago. It works perfectly and I found it very usefull. Still, there are a couple of things that I love to change to make it a lot better.

PROS:
- Driver is small but has enough torque to function very well.
- It's fast.
- Has a light that helps see in dark places. Color blue.
- It feels good in the hand. It has a good size (I have xlarge hands).
- The clutch works pretty well, especially when over-tighten the screws can damage the surface.
- Battery responded very well and has lasted for the duration of the work.
- Driver size makes it convenient to carry it in a pocket without disturbing much.
- The magnetic screw guide is great.

CONS:
- The driver charging base is large with the transformer cable fixed to the base. Take a lot of space on my toolbox. I prefer they make the transformer detachable to charge the driver directly at site or on the base at home.
- The driver can't use two-ends Drillbits, Only one-end drillbits. For me that's inconvinient, especially since my older B&D driver can use them. Take note that the Black & Decker 71-081 Double Ended Screwdriving Bit Set, 10-Piece that is "Frequently Bought Together" at Amazon is USELESS for this drive so DON'T BUY THAT ONE. I have a list that will fit this drive down.
- The driver don't have the option to carry aditional drillbits. Really inconvinient since only can use 1 end drilldits.

Some drill bit set that work are:

Makita T-01725 70-Piece Impact Drill-Driver Bit Set - Great for most mix proyects. Good value for all the diferent peaces. CAUTION: read the reviews on this item because some are really bad ones and maybe this is not the bits fir you're project.
DEWALT DW2153 Impact Ready Accessory Set, 34-Piece - Great bit set
DEWALT DW2180 35-Piece Impact Ready Drilling/Fastening Set - Great for mix proyect
Irwin Tools 4935643 Black Oxide Hex Shank Drill Bit, 5/64-Inch -I own this one. Great on metal and wood drilling, but I prefer a normal drill for that.
TEKTON 2938 Quick-Change Power Nut Driver Bit Set with Detents, 14-Piece - Excellent for nuts

This driver is really good, but for the operational real size (with the base/charger) it's not really toolbox friendly. A really similar option is the Black & Decker LI3100 Compact Lithium-Ion Driver with Cordless Rechargeable Screwdriver that is almost identical in the basic desing. Another option is the Black & Decker Li2000 3.6-Volt 3 Position Rechargeable Screwdriver, I have the older model and is great since have the ability to swivel 80°, 35° or 0° to better do the job (The old one can use 2end drillbits, but I'm not sure this one can). This options are quite standard equip and lacks all the extras this model have (cluth, ligth, magnetic screw holder, charging base) but have similar power/torque that this one since all use the same 3.6 Lithium-Ion batterie tecnology.

Hope this will help you decide.

UPDATE 12.06.2012: This drive keeps perform really well for know. I use it in several proyects and have been really usefull. The battery works flawless for me and the charge holds pretty well but keep in mind this is not contractor grade, it's made primary for ligth use, so don't hope for this driver to work for several continuos hours and hold the charge.
on November 14, 2010
This is one of the most useful tools I purchased. Excellent for light jobs on electrical outlets and wiring screws. It has a lot of torque so it was good on installing blind holders but also has a torque adjuster so you will not over tighten screws such as outlet covers. It holds a charge very well. I have charged it and left for 2-3 months and it still worked well. I keep it handy and hardly use a hand screwdriver any more. The magnetic hold is OK but does not work well on small screws. I plan to get one for my son who likes all kinds of tools. This is for small infrequent jobs not for installing drywall or large projects.
on May 18, 2010
This thing has some real power for something so small. I used it yesterday to remove some 3.5" screws from some kitchcen cabinets, and although it let me know it was a tough job, it did the job, and had plenty of mojo left for other things. Comes with a good assortment of bits, but the drill bit falls out easily (an issue I also had with the bits in the Pivot Plus that I owned previously). Be sure to read the manual for proper battery care (for example: can't really leave it in all the time, needs to be used, or at leat undocked, monthly).

Very handy to have around, and slips on and off the charging stand easily.
VINE VOICEon May 24, 2011
I understand this isn't a power tool I would use for an entire day of tasks & jobs, it's a home repair tool meant for one off tasks like putting up shelves or mounting stuff on the walls, etc. You would not use this tool if you were a professional contractor, etc. Bear in mind, that the tools those guy use (cordless drills and screwdrivers, etc) start at $150 usually. So, this tool is a great bargain if it fits your needs.

Pros:

Nice combination of tool bits and a very nice "holder" to charge the tool and hold the pieces.
You can mount the entire charger on the wall of just put it on a desk or shelf.
It has a blue LED "guiding" light that shines onto your target when you engage the tool. It actually helps a lot and is nice & bright. A great option.
It has a magnetic "guiding" tray that holds a screw while you use the tool, amazingly this actually works! No more lost or dropped screws!
The tool is comfortable to hold and seems to have plenty of power.
It has an adjustable torque ring and guide to help you choose the right power. Handy.
Seems to hold a charge long enough and re-charges quickly.

I am very pleased. You can buy a basic B&D cordless for less but this one is (IMHO) much more useful and handy.

Cons: Actually, I haven't found any yet! Maybe a first time!
on August 7, 2009
This is a wonderful product. It is so easy to use and it has a bunch different bit types to do any job around the house. It even has a small drill bit and it stays charged for a long time. The magnetic screw holder makes it so easy to get the screw in and it has a size selector for different screws. I love this product!