5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite saw
I have two chainsaws (gas and electric) which are not going to get nearly as much use now that I have this Alligator Lopper. It is ideal for 99% of the cutting I need to do. Here are some of the reasons I prefer it over my other chainsaws:

Published on April 18, 2006 by W. Funkhouser

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, several design flaws, I'm getting rig of mine
I purchased this for use in my basement, cutting wood for the fireplace. I liked the lower jaw idea to avoid digging the chainsaw into the floor. Unfortunately, the design is extremely poor. The upper "jaw" kickback cover actually hits the chain when closed.

One of the illustrations in the manual shows this upper jaw open perpendicular - when opened this far,...
Published on October 17, 2006 by Richard C. Drew

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite saw, April 18, 2006
This review is from: Black & Decker LP1000 Alligator Lopper 4.5 Amp Electric Chain Saw (Lawn & Patio)

1) Can cut directly on the ground. How many times have you dulled a chainsaw blade because the chain touched the ground? The chain guards on this allow you to cut trees right on the ground.

2) Familiar and comfortable cutting action. The scissor motion is easier than the knife motion of a traditional chainsaw. When trees are felled and on the ground, you can walk along the tree to buck the pieces to lengths rather than propping up the tree and then kneeling next to it for each cut.

3) Appears safer. The blade is almost entirely enclosed. When you put the saw down, you don't need to worry about the blade hitting anything. The light weight (6 pounds) is also less tiring. I would give one to my mother (age 70) to use on her trees.

4) Very capable saw. The manual recommends no more than 4 inch diameter, but I've cut larger trees without problem.

Watch the video on the amazon site. It does a good job illustrating the benefits. A traditional chainsaw is still best for felling trees and cutting large trees, but this lopper is my new favorite companion to my traditional saw.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Invention, January 28, 2006
I have a small gas-powered chain saw and also a gas-powered pole saw. The chain saw is heavy to hold up and I didn't need to use the pole saw for most of my pruning. Based on the reviews, I decided to give this product a try. This tool works really great! It's not super heavy and you don't have to mess with gas since it's electric powered. I've been using mine to trim oleanders with some branches 4" thick with no problems. Even with ratchet loppers, it's not always possible to cut the thicker branches and the Alligator Lopper solves this problem. You do have to put oil into a small covered hole but you have to oil and chain saw device. The jaws shield the cutters while closed so it's pretty safe to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars B&D Alligator Lopper - Great New Tool!, November 12, 2005
K. Crossley (Williamsport, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Couldn't wait for this one to arrive. Won't use a regular chain saw for fear of losing digits, but this tool seems so much safer and was very easy to use. Very sturdy, but not too heavy for a non-lumberjack to operate. Cut hours of my yard work down to minutes, and I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING PRODUCT, May 15, 2006
I have never written a review before but I HAD to endorse this product. In fact I just ordered another one as I never want to be without one. It has already paid for itself several times over with the yardwork I can now do myself. Safe, easy to use, lightweight enought to manage-and I have back problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a lawn tool that can do the job!!! Black and Deacker Looper, May 1, 2006
I have purchased the Black and Decker LP1000 tree looper and It is excellent !!!!!! while I have an array of lawn tools, up till now, I couldn't find the right tool for stubborn shrubs and tree limbs. Some shrubs are very difficult to trim and keep looking groomed. Hedge trimmers are often lacking in that the branches are too thick and hard to cut. Manual Loopers can be exhusting and time consuming. Well, the Black and Decker Alligator Looper cuts with a vengance!!!! Powerful yet light, it grabs the branch to assure it's not going anywhere and promptly zips it off. My gas powered trimmer blade could take as long as 10 minutes to cut a particularly stubburn shrub branch. My Black and Decker will do this is less than 20 seconds. This stands alone for now, but I'm sure companies will follow suit and get on the band wagon.

Just Love my new tool !!!!!!!!!

Frank

5.0 out of 5 stars Black & Decker Alligator Lopper, May 9, 2006
I have 63 acres of land that I have made ATV trails on. I put a 1000 watt generator on the front of the ATV and bring the Aligator Lopper to the trails. I have NEVER seen anything that can compare to this tool. I can not find any thing wrong with it as of yet. Trimming branches and cutting down small trees has never been so easy. (and fun!) Every "big boy" needs one of these in his tool kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed product, May 29, 2006
Much more than I expected. Very safe to use. I have an inate fear of chain saws, I use them all the time, but you really have to watch what you are doing. I had doubts about the cutting capability of a unique electric saw like this, however it cuts through 4 inch diameter oak branches like butter. Tip, get the chain to speed before clamping. Perfect for those branches that are way too large for a manual lopper and too unstable and small for a gas chain saw. The lower jaw is designed to let you cut large branches off the ground, by clamping underneath, huge time saver and no chance of hitting a burried rock w/ the chain. The chain is never exposed to a miss placed foot or leg. No fuel to mix and no cold weather issues with starting, being electric. A 4" diameter cut log is great for the fireplace or wood stove. For safety, viability, ease of use, and raw power, definitely a 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERYONE NEEDS AN ALLIGATOR LOPPER, April 15, 2006
GAIL (SOMERS, CT) - See all my reviews
This is the best tool I have ever owned. I have a gas chainsaw which is heavy and which I let a male friend use. I also have a smaller, lighter electric chainsaw that is easier to use. But when I saw the Alligator Lopper advertised in a magazine I thought it was the answer to my prayers. Most important is how safe I feel using it. The guards over the blade and the light weight enable me to feel safe and confident when using it. The Lopper does all of the work. You just hold the handles, press the triggers and the saw cuts and closes the Lopper. You do not have to exert force. It cuts like butter. Black and Decker says it cuts up to 4" diameter trees and that is accurate. I even was able to cut 5" trees, though you have to turn the Lopper around the tree as you cut. It is simple to tighten the chain. You just loosen two screws, which allows the spring to tighten the blade into the chain, then tighten the screws. A piece of cake! I love, love, love this tool! Did I say I love this tool? For about a $100 it's a no-brainer. I think everyone should have two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great. Seems very safe. Easy oiling and adjustment., September 9, 2006
Used it to cut up downed trees for firewood. I had read the overwelmingly positive reviews before ordering but was still wondering if it would perform well when cutting anything over the size of a small branch. I used it on branches and tree tops up up to 5-7 inches in diameter and it went through them wonderfully. On some of the bigger logs, the length of the blade became a limitation, in that it wouldn't cut all the way through the log, but it still went through those without a problem and left just a little bit for me to hand saw through. Adjusting the chain was easy after it beegan loosening up (as it should according to the manual during break-in), and oiling it was easy as well. With the blade guards I was never worried about kick back, although after a hundred or so cuts through various woods nothing ever even slowed it down. It was also light weight and easy to handle.

Edit: Oct 2009. Still use these. Other then adding oil and checking the chain they have held up well. Cut out a tree this spring and these make the job so easy and simple. I have an electric chain saw, but I reach for this over that one everytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alligator eats trees, March 22, 2006
I have tried buck saws and gas powered chain saws. The first is hard work (I'm 70+) and the second is fairly dangerous. This "Alligator" (its trade name) comes ready to go right out of the box. It is easy to pick up and position, and really simple to use. Just grab the handles, one hand each side (remember this was designed for safty). Then spread the "mouth" of the gator out, sqeeze the triggers (one for each hand) and gently close the mouth of the gator around the braanch you want to cut. It cuts up to 4" trees very smoothly with no effort on your part. When you squeeze the triggers the chain starts. It's not noisy but you know it's going. I bought two, one for my son.

Black & Decker LP1000 Alligator Lopper 4.5 Amp Electric Chain Saw