Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Black & Decker LPHT120 18-Inch 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Style Name: Includes 20v Battery|Change

on May 22, 2011
Works well, adequate battery life.
Definitely great for hard to reach places but can be awkward when trying to cut up close.
It would have been better if they designed it so you could take the extension pole out and hook up the trigger mechanism directly to the blade so it could either be a pole trimmer or a traditional trimmer.

The specs on this are a bit misleading.
It is an 18", not 22"
Also Black & Decker hypes up the reach a little bit, "up to" 10 foot reach includes however long your arms are and how far you can stretch, the unit itself is only around 6-6.5 feet long.

Overall I would recommend the product for trimming hard to reach hedges but you may also want to get the non-pole model as well for up close work.
on July 16, 2011
I purchased this tool simply to do a job it is designed to do... cut some overgrown hedges and trim them to a more manageable height.

It is great at trimming those tall hedges and things that need to be trimmed in hard to reach places.

But what I really found handy was to use it in an area that was overgrown with tall weeds, many several feet tall! I discovered that it is great to use it almost like a weed whacker type device, but I do not have to keep pulling or replacing the string every few feet.

The tool allows its head to be rotated in such a way as to appear like a hockey stick with serious teeth. I cut the tall weeds to a workable level, and after raking away those tops, can easily use my lawn mower to finish off the job properly.

This is a very good tool to have for those special situations that really call for it, and the lightweigh 20V battery system makes it that much better still.
11 comment|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2011
I have hedges on 3 sides of my yard, and have to set aside a few hours to trim them. I needed something to replace my Remington Axxcess electric pole trimmer that died from a burt out motor after 4 seasons. It performed well, but was way heavy, and destroyed my shoulders for a few days after every use. Saw this on Amazon, and opted for the 20 volt version over the 18 volt in hopes of more power and longer battery life. I love the mobility that the cordless trimmer offers, it makes the job much easier. It seems to have plenty of power, and cut through Privet and Forsythia with ease, a few thick pieces had to be done with lopers, however. I got about a half hout of almost constant-on usage, which was less than I had expected, and I was nowhere near done with my work. To my dismay, it takes 8 hours to charge the battery, so I was effectively done for the day with that task. First thing I did was to order a 2nd battery, at $51.99. My 2nd gripe is the inability to lock the switch in the "on" position. This is necessary so that you can trim close up, especially when trimming 8 foot hedges on a ladder. I solved this issue by taking a nylon zip-tie and leaving it looped on the trigger, and sliding it on and off as needed. It works! With that having been said, I'm still happy with this trimmer, it's not as heavy as my old trimmer, and the reach and portabilty are great features.
on March 8, 2012
The LPHT120 design is one-size-fits-all. It would have been better for B&D to make the poles telescopic / extensible. I would have liked to shorten up the length of the poles for trimming along the ground. As it is I have to keep both hands on the pole itself, and not on the handle with the trigger.

The poles are padded, but with a one foot gap in padding just under the handle. I glued on pipe foam insulation to close this gap, making it more comfortable to hold the pole with both hands. I use a nylon zip-tie to lock the trigger in the on position as recommended by reviewer Jim R.

As several reviewers have noted, the blade head is much heavier than you might guess. I use the trimmer to clear ground cover. I hold the pole vertically with the head at a 90-degrees tilt so the weight is not an issue for me. I wouldn't think of using the LPHT120 to trim hedges. Best bet is to use it for hard-to-reach sections of your hedges and use a traditional hedge trimmer for everything else. Come to think of it B&D should sell a combo package with both types of hedge trimmers.

The LBXR20 battery pack from Black & Decker contains five Sanyo UR18650W2 1500mAh 3.7v battery cells. You may be tempted, as I was, to replace them with the newer 18650 cells rated at 3100mAh to extend the working time. Forget it. The 18650 cells are spot-welded to their cradle inside the battery pack. Welding and lithium batteries an explosive mix make. Boo! See dewaltownersgroup dot com forwardslash index dot pee-h-pee questionmark topic=835.0 for a picture of the innards of the LBXR20.

You can purchase a SSL20SB-2 cordless drill rather cheaply ($80 on sale) and pick up two extra LBXR20 batteries, a spare charger and a drill, cheaper than purchasing two LBXR20 batteries separately. The -2 in the drill model number means 2 batteries. You will be glad you purchased extra batteries since each only gives 30 minutes working time.
on July 6, 2011
This trimmer does an excellent job of cutting small to average size (1/4") limbs. The battery will last longer than your shoulders, so it's not a problem. Back to the shoulders - - after 3-4 minutes of overhead trimming, my shoulders were numb; changing hands to operate from the other side helped a little. The bulk of the weight of the trimmer is in the head, and even if you're in decent physical condition, it will wear you out in 20 - 30 minutes of overhead use. This would be a much better tool if the heavy electric motor was located in the handle end with a flexible shaft operating the cutting mechanism. Not for the weak of shoulder!
44 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2012
I would like to commend Amazon for their great return policy; however, this hedge trimmer was a total failure. I charged the battery and tried to trim a hedge. The trimmer refused to cut anything over 1/8 inch in diameter and those less than that diameter it broke or shredded rather than cut. From reading all the good reviews of this product, I can only think that I received a defective trimmer.

I reread all the positive reviews of this trimmer and decided to give it another try. The second one works as advertized; it cuts items smaller than 1/4 inch without difficulty. The only reason that I did not raise my rating to 5 stars is due to product design rather than performance. It would be worthy of 5 stars if it could be shortened; much as the pole chain saw can be used in either two or three sections.
on May 9, 2011
We have very tall hedges behind our pool and this trimmer works good for an extended reach. You have to remember that the cutting head contains the motor so it is heavy and after a while of cutting you will get a little tired of holding it up but that is just something you have to put up with to use the product. Battery lift seems to be very adequate. I recommend it.
on April 7, 2012
This is a great tool for high cutting (avoiding ladders) and low cutting (avoiding bending over) while saving gobs of time and producing superior, more uniform results. As with any electric tool, there is no messing with gasoline and there is the joy of instant starts, minimal noise, and minimal fumes.

This trimmer allows one to trim shrubbery up to perhaps eight feet above shoulder level if cutting on the vertical and perhaps four feet above shoulder level if cutting on the horizontal. Cutting with broad sweeping motions rapidly produces cuts results more uniform and attractive than can be achieved with a manual clipper. The trimmer cuts through 3/8" to 1/2" branches most often on the first encounter or, if not on the first encounter, then fairly fast thereafter with an attritional sawing action. The trimmer also easily slices through (rather than jams on) metal plant labels and label stakes. Among the things this trimmer does well that one might not normally think of: 1/ reaching deep into beds as an alternative to wading in and risking ticks and 2/ trimming at ground level so one does not have to bend over - for example, the trimming back of miscanthus grass in the spring.

Battery life is always an issue with cord-free tools. Working overhead, one is likely to tire out well before the battery runs down. Once the battery runs down, the trimmer pretty much stops working with little warning- not great but an improvement over older generation batteries where the tool would weaken and weaken as one compensated and struggled on. Working below shoulder level the battery lasts perhaps 10-20 minutes, enough for 30 to 40 feet of hedging. It is perhaps worth noting that the 20 volt trimmer battery is the same battery as used for a whole series of Black and Decker garden tools. As one buys more of the Black and Decker tools, the batteries mount up - - having seven such batteries, I always wear out first. Speaking of Black and Decker garden tools, they offer a very nice chain saw that comes with extension segments -- although it looks as though the chain saw extender segments have the same design and should fit the hedge trimmer, Black and Decker seems to have been a step ahead on this one having clearly designed the socket connectors to prevent this apparent "misuse".
on September 9, 2012
I bought this trimmer to do one thing...cut the hedges that I cannot reach with a normal trimmer. This extended reach trimmer works great. Plenty of power in the battery for my needs and the cutting action was also good. Came with a nice bag to store away the trimmer. Yes it does give your arms and shoulders a workout but so does any other trimmer being used in this fashion. I bought an extra battery but I did not need it as the first battery had plenty of power to finish the job. No more cords..no more leaning on a laddder waiting to fall off into the hedges..no more duct taping a broom handle on a regular trimmer!
on July 25, 2015
I just took this out of the box a few hours ago, charged it up, and have used it for ten minutes, so maybe this will change over time.

As others have noted, the build on this unit is pretty flimsy. But in ways that surprised me for B&D. The cutter head mount seems flimsy and it flexes side to side as you cut. The rest of the unit seemed reasonably sturdy for a cordless unit attempting to be as light as possible.

I was a bit disappointed that there are only five head angles a 45 degree increments. I really would like a 22.5 degree stop point.

The cutting power is adequate for my first job (see attached photos). I found if I cut too quickly through the heavier branches, it might just come to a complete stop. When it did, it didn't seem like it was doing much damage to the unit as it sometimes does with a corded unit, so they apparently designed for this occurrence. I have a much larger job I will do later in the season that involves cutting weeds and small Yaupon on about 1/8 of an acre, so I will report back. I plan on taking several days to accomplish that in the cooler weather. The battery life will give me a good excuse to take my time.

The attached photos were done to clear the area for some maintenance we're going on our sprinkler system. I wouldn't normally trim hedges to the bone like this, but I thought this was a good test and shows what you can do in 10 minutes.
review image review image