Black and Decker LPP120 20-Volt Lithium Ion Cordless Pole Saw,Includes 20v Battery
Style Name: Includes 20v BatteryChange
Price:$137.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 13, 2011
Style Name: Includes 20v BatteryVerified Purchase
When I decided to purchase this item, there were no reviews for it, and I was of course hesitant. I also looked on the Black & Decker site, and it didn't exist...only the battery. However, I read the reviews for the 18v model...over 250 reviews...and I decided to take a chance and order it. And I must say, I'm very happy with it. I'm a 50 yr old lady with 2 neck fusions, and some strength issues due to them. I also have many trees on my 1.5 acres that need what seems like constant pruning...previously by a manual pole saw...very hard for me.

When it arrived, I was impressed with the ease of putting it together, and how light weight it is. The included instructions are very detailed and easy to understand. You can use it as 2 pieces or as 3. 2 pieces give you 6', and 3 give you 9'. It can reach 14' which includes 5' of your own height. The battery charges in a couple hours from dead, and can be left on the charger after charging...indefinitely per the instructions. This eliminates the possibility of damaging the battery by forgetting it on the charger...unlike the 18v model which had several complaints about frying the battery if it's not removed when charged. The battery is feather light...hard to believe it has the power it does. I did purchase a 2nd battery from another site for $56 including shipping. ...so my pruning wouldn't be cut short by a dead battery.

As for using it... It works very well, easily cutting through 1-2" branches with no bogging down, etc. Just let the saw's weight do the work. I pruned for about 45 minutes the other day and didn't notice any drop in power...oak, palm fronds, etc. I'm VERY happy with it and glad I ordered it. It's not intended for super heavy pruning like log size branches, but I'm sure it would work if given enough time. It doesn't have the same power of a gas or elec. pole saw, but makes up for this by being light weight and easily moved around ones yard...and easy to store! It's more difficult for me to use with all 3 sections being used, mainly due to the weight being shift out farther. But for someone with normal arm strength, it wouldn't be a problem. The heaviest part is the cutting head, and it's not really very heavy at all.

The saw comes with an awesome good quality storage bag that everything fits easily into with tons of extra space. I hang it by the handles on the wall. It also has a blade/chain cover that has a place for the included small bottle (for oil), and the chain adjustment tool...this way you have both with you at all times should you need them. I thought it was a great idea! Recommended oiling is when the battery is changed...or before each use. The chain is extremely easy to adjust, which needs to be done somewhat often during the first 2hrs of use, as the chain stretches a bit. It also has a 2 yr warranty...saw and battery.

Over all, this is an easy to use, light weight pole saw that can easily handle light to medium pruning...and possibly heavy with more cutting time. It's easy to put together and take apart, has a storage bag, good instructions, and conveniently stored oil and adjustment tool. I'm VERY happy with it, and hope it keeps working for many years to come!
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 31, 2011
Style Name: Includes 20v BatteryVerified Purchase
This tool works amazingly well. First time, I used it to remove some high limbs of pine trees. Yesterday I cut down a dead tree, over 7" in diameter, and then cut that one and one already down, into 6-8' lengths. Went through one battery, and the second continued to cut a number of small dead trees. Unless I have some major amount, or very large, trees to cut, I will rarely use my gas powered chain saw from now on. I do suggest getting additional batteries, and think the tool should come with two of the. When I searched the web for extra batteries, I found that I could purchase the weed whacker, with two batteries & charger, cheaper than getting two batteries. Weed whacker works great too. It would be nice to have an automatic oiler for the bar, instead of having to do it manually, but hasn't been a major problem - just oil it when first using it & when changing batteries, as directed. No loud noise or smell, hard time starting, or gas to deal with. Very light, especially compared to heavy gas chainsaws. Great tool for the occasional use home owner.
on July 24, 2011
Style Name: Includes 20v BatteryVerified Purchase
So easy your grandmother can use it!
I know because I am a 55 year-old grandmother. I got the Black and Decker pole saw for my husband for Father's Day. My husband was raving about how great/light it was so I wanted to see what it felt like in my hands. I was amazed at how light it was. So, I tried removing a small branch-piece of cake! Then I tried another bigger one and another...pretty soon I'd removed all the branches I could reach.
Definitely go with the 20 volt version - it is worth the difference in price. It's powerful and holds a charge for quite a while. I didn't use it continually, but it hadn't run out of juice after an hour. It says it extends to 14 ft. but it felt too wobbly extended that far. It worked great extended to 12 ft. though.
I decided to write a review because yesterday our neighbor was trying to remove several branches from a damaged tree. His small gas chain saw kept throwing the chain then started smoking when he got the engine running again. Then he tried using their pole saw, but it had trouble with the size of the branch and also kept running out of charge. I went to our garage and brought out our Black and Decker and promptly removed all the unwanted branches all by myself with them standing there staring. I guess I could have just let them borrow our pole saw, but it was pretty cool to be able to say, "Step aside, boys!" and get the job done myself.
on May 6, 2011
Style Name: Includes 20v BatteryVerified Purchase
Being the owner of 7 acres with several fruit trees, the use of this saw is a time saver. No electrical cords to mess with, no gas to purchase (seems as if your always out when you want to use a gas powered saw), just make sure you have your battery charged. As stated, you get about an hour of saw operation on one lithium battery charge. You need two batteries to keep you busy as it takes a few hours to charge a run-down battery (this is the only draw-back). The saw is light enough and long enough to do some serious tree pruning. It claims to cut a 4 inch branch but I have cut branches up to 6 inches. Love the saw and would recommend it.
on June 16, 2011
Style Name: Includes 20v BatteryVerified Purchase
This product has performed just like it was advertised to perform. The only area that has been less than stellar is the number of branches that can be cut on a single battery charge. I have been averaging 60 branches per charge. I was expecting around 90. When the charge runs out the saw will stop immediately. It does not run down gradually. As they state, it will take at least 8 hrs. for the battery to recharge. Overall I am happy with the product.
on May 25, 2011
Style Name: Includes 20v BatteryVerified Purchase
This is a nice cordless pole saw that has lasting battery which allowed me to trim a very large tree on a single charge. The only drawback might be the manual oiling of the chain prior to each use, and a wrench needed to adjust the tension. Overall, I love my saw!
on May 31, 2012
Style Name: Includes 20v BatteryVerified Purchase
I bought this recently and have used it a few times. It is just great. I have sawed through some branches that were at least 4 inches in diameter with ease. The battery life seems more than adequate to me. I have yet to run out of power and I have used this for over an hour, not constantly of course, but no problem with battery dropping out. I also have the 20 volt weed trimmer which comes with two more batteries and one more charger that is interchangeable with the pole saw. Love that.

I have used it mostly in just two sections instead of all three sections together. When all three are connected it does become more difficult to manage and the weight becomes a factor. The poles do slightly curve under the weight when all three are connected which of course changes how you wield the pole to make a cut. The actual cutting of a branch is rather straight forward but you must remain focused. I have found in a few instances probably due to being on an angle and such that when you make the top cut on a branch the blade will dance and bob around a bit...it helps to tighten your grip on the pole with both hands to steady it...like others have said you sort of have to lay the weight of the saw on top the branch without pulling downward too much just let the weight of the saw/pole dig in at its own pace. Once it starts to go down into the branch it will finish cutting pretty quickly and with little assistance from you on the other end other than keeping a firm grip on the poles with both arms. I found that making the undercut is essential for a simplified cutting...read the directions...I also found that the undercut is more stable and there is less dancing and bobbing for whatever reason...I go about a third of the way through the branch with the undercut like the directions advise then finish with the top cut.

The instructions that come with it are good and I would advise to get familiar with them especially regarding tightening the tension on the chain and tightening the guide to the housing. The chain guide screws will loosen up with use, so you need to keep that tool nearby to retighten when needed. You also need that tool to tighten the tension of the chain itself the way the directions tell you to do it. I was cutting through an oak branch. Oak is very hard wood. I must have become complacent on checking the chain tension because when I started to make an undercut the chain made an unusual grinding noise. I stopped and found the chain all loose and on further inspection saw that the blade was stuck to the plastic housing behind the sprocket. I thought it was completely ruined but I read the directions on installing the chain and was able to get it back in working order. This likely would not have happened if I had double checked the blade tension more often....cannot stress enough to check that tension every few cuts or so. Just keep the tool handy and it will be a cinch.

You all might be interested to know that I am using Canola oil to oil the chain and guide. Yes, the cooking oil. It is working fine with it, does not smell all oily, like petroleum does, is easy on your trees in an eco-friendly way, and if you get any splatter on your clothes it is easy to wash out (honestly have not noticed any splatter with it at all). I was reluctant to use it at first and was prepared to get a petroleum based bar and chain oil but am glad I decided to try the Canola oil. No problems so far.

So it is easy to use, quiet (no ear plugs required with this), great battery life, and makes my life so much easier. I would have never gotten as much trimmed this spring if I hadn't bought this. I needed to remove some branches that were encroaching on the side of my house before the summer storms hit. I would have never been able to even reach them without this pole saw. Not to mention manual saws wear you out after a couple of branches. This is a wonderful tool. Love the tote bag that comes with it for storage and for taking it all with me as I walk around the property. Just great!

2/21/13 update - I sawed through a tree that was lying horizontally across my yard that was nearly 10 inches in diameter at its widest part. It is a Locust which is rather soft wood, but anyhow the blade went through it well, not like butter, but well enough to get the job done. I had to work from both sides of the trunk at the widest point but hey I got it done. I am so impressed with this tool.
on January 13, 2012
Style Name: Includes 20v Battery
Got this as a Christmas present and for the most part I like it. A couple of things to consider before you buy it.

1. It has no push button bar & chain oiler like the regular B & D chain saw. To oil it you must use the oil bottle supplied to squeeze the oil along the chain and hope it flows into the bar. This is very messy. I think they could have easily put the same system in, that the regular chain saw has. That works fine.

2. If you connect all three pieces together, it's very heavy so try to use only two.

The carry case is very handy although it would have been nice to allow the pocket to zip up. The oiler and what ever else you need to carry, could fall out. It also would have been nice to put in pockets for a couple of extra batteries. They lose their charge fairly quickly so you need to carry a few with you. I have four.
on January 3, 2012
Style Name: Includes 20v BatteryVerified Purchase
after the freaky storm we had tree branches,tree tops&limbs all over the driveway and yard.their were a lot of limbs that snapped and fell across driveway and you could not reach them with a chain saw I ordered this pole saw
and was impressed how well it worked. Cons: when its fully extended its a little flimsy,however it did cut threw a few 3-4"limbs about 14-18'high, as far as I could reach in one hand.they need to include A cheep pair of saftey glasses,and the option to up grade to A quick charger. Another + for this is the length of the shortest position.The chain is far enough away from your hands and feet.that I let my grandson,with my supervision,go into the brush and cut branches I could not get to.I hope the price of the battery goes down,or I would have purchased
A spair,their almost 1/2 the price of the unit. or if they included a quick charger.When the battery is exhausted
you need a good 6-8hr charge.Knowing this not A commercial grade tool.Over all for the price,and performance,I would recommend this tool.
on September 7, 2012
Style Name: Includes 20v BatteryVerified Purchase
This is a great little saw. You just start it, place it on the branch/limb and it does the work! However, it's power source is worthless. When first charged it preformed very well. Each full recharge the run time lessened and after about three times I could only get about 10-15 minutes per charge with an 8 hour re-charge time!!!! I thought the lithium-Ion battery would preform better. I am returning the product as the power source is unacceptable.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations