5.0 out of 5 stars They got almost everything right.
** Update 7-21-2013. After 9 month's use, I changed my rating from 4-stars to 5-stars. Reason 1: Price dips to $100. See Pricing section below. Reason 2: The "on-board hose" design is super useful. It's come in handy dozens of times when the mess is not reachable with a standard handheld vac, or a lot harder to reach. I would never go back. **

They got...
Published on October 25, 2012 by C. MacPhail

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall I'm disappointed in this "improved" model.
Published on November 24, 2012 by S. Lipson

5.0 out of 5 stars They got almost everything right., October 25, 2012
This review is from: Black & Decker Platinum BDH2000FL 20-Volt Max Lithium Ion Flex Vacuum (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

They got almost everything right. The best hand vac yet from Black & Decker. Suction is less than some other models.

If $100 is out of the question, consider the FHV1200 (sometimes below $55) which has a few more Air-Watts of sucking power (25 vs 22), but a cheaper NiCad battery.

PROs:

* Hose gives access to tight spaces - in car, for example
* 18 minutes run time per charge (see Note 1)
- Tools: Nice! (crevice, pet-hair, flip-out brush) (see Note 2)
- Charging stand: Handy
- Li-Ion battery: Partial-charge friendly
- Constant suction strength as battery runs down
- Hose: Good quality (see Note 3)
- Lightweight: 3.8 lbs with nozzle
- Good ergonomics
- Good quality plastics
- Filter cleaning knob
- Dirt in chamber is visible but not staring you down
- Washable filter (see Note 4)
- 3 year warranty

OKs:

* Noise: OK. Not like the horrible PHV1800. About 75dB, comparable to the B&D PHV1810
* Suction: Adequate, but it's about 26% to 37% less than B&D PHV1810. Rated "22 air watts" (see Note 5)
- Recharge time: 4 hours
- Charging status light: Shows when charging is done. Too bright?
- Draws 1 watt 24x7 when resting in charge stand (see note 6)
- Tool & hose replacements are available (from B&D only) (see note 3)
- Dirt capacity 17 fl oz. (over 1 pint)
- Black (No ugly colors)
- User manual is reasonably clear and helpful

CONs:

* Expensive
* Limited life - No replacement batteries available

- - - Dimensions - - -

Charging stand: 9.0" x 6.7" x 0.7"

Vac: Irregular. Height=10.0" (includes charging stand)

- - - Alternatives - - -

- PHV1810 Pivot Vac (35 air watts)
- FHV1200 Flex Vac (25 air watts; 10-12 min run time)
- BDH1620FLFH Flex Vac (20 air watts, 13 min run time)

- - - Pricing - - -

Price dips to $110 at times. There's an "Online Price Alert" that will email you whenever this or any amazon product dips below your target price. Google it. It's nicely done. Or try camelcamelcamel, which also shoes price history.

- - - Cordless Vac Limitations - - -

- It will only last a few years. You'll have to toss it when the battery dies.

- Cordless vacs can't compare with plug-in vacs. Way less suction. Harsher noise. But soooo... handy for quick clean-ups.

- - - Notes - - -

Note 1: Run Time - 18.3 minutes. I tested once with no load, and again with nozzle against carpet . Same result both times. Vac was brand new with zero dust in filter. (Test had rest periods every 5 minutes.) B&D says run time may improve after 5 charge cycles. But of course it will decrease with age.

Note 2: Tools - (crevice, pet-hair, main tool with flip-out brush) Well designed. Durable, but not unbreakable. Attach easily and securely. Flip-out brush on the main tool is good for dust, not for scrubbing. Skinny crevice tool -- yes! (Skinny part is over 6" long. Tip is appx 0.5" x 1.1") Replacements at B&D's site at low cost but $10.99s&h.

Note 3: Hose - It's very light, but it feels like quality. Not like the horrible cheap polyethylene hoses on some vacs. This hose is like a combination of rubber and plastic. Supple and stretchable.

Note 4 Filter: Washable. Replacements (PVF110) are about $8-10 but I've never had to replace B&D filters. Just shake it out.

Note 5: Suction - I did a suction test on 6 vacs. (For details, see Note SB1)

Relative . . Weight
Suction . . . Lifted
--------- . . ---------
14% . . . . 7.38 oz . . Eureka 240A (cordless combo vac in hand-held mode)
21% . . . 10.75 oz . . Black & Decker BDH2000FL "22 air watts" (hand held cordless)
22% . . . 11.25 oz . . Black & Decker BDH16200FLFH "25 air watts" (hand held cordless)
28% . . . . 14.5 oz . . Black & Decker PHV1810 "35 air watts" (hand held cordless)
100% . . . . 52 oz . . Electrolux Access T8 canister vac (plug-in)
100% . . . . 52 oz . . Electrolux Oxygen EL6988E canister vac (plug-in)

More suction would be nice for car interiors as an example, but it would mean less run time. I use this vac is for light clean-ups, and it's adequate.

Note 6: Draws 1 watt 24x7 when resting in charge stand. Maybe due to the excessively bright status light. One watt is only $1-3 a year, depending on your electric rates (see Note SB2). If you care about one more vampire device on your meter, leave the vac off the cradle most of the time. This type of battery (Lithium-Ion) does not want or need to be continually topped off.

- - - Super Boring Notes - - -

Note SB1: I tested suction with carpet glued to a small cardboard box. All vacuums had empty dirt chambers and cordless vacs were fully charged. All vacs were fitted with a uniform nozzle consisting of a 1-5/16" ID round plastic tube. 11-gram weights were added to the box until a maximum lift-able weight was determined.

Note SB2: Measured at about 0.95 watts. Assume electricity cost $ .11 to $ .33 per kilowatt hour.

~~~ Comments & questions welcome ~~~

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful tool, July 10, 2013
(July 10, 2013) I ordered this product to do some spot cleaning around the house, mostly from my two cats. It ended up being a bit smaller than I thought, you certainly can't vacuum a whole floor (maybe a small bathroom) with it, but I've found it very useful for spot cleaning around the house. Things it's good at getting: Dust, sand and dirt from shoes, cat litter scattered about, spilled rice and popcorn kernals, spider webs, wall moulding edges, cat hair on chairs/floor/couch/etc, nail clippings, onion/garlic peel droppings, dropped crumbs/etc in on kitchen floor, hair around the sink from shaving, tough to reach ledges, window sills, fireplace mantel, spilled cat food. Ok, I think you get it. I've developed a little OCD with this thing, and generally I don't like cleaning much, so I guess it's ok? It's just so fun! What it's not good at: Anything liquid, anything fairly stuck on a surface, large areas. The suction opening is small, so you can't cover a lot of surface area quick. The battery has been great, I've used it for 15-20min without losing charge. I'm totally happy with this BD! Oh, look, some bread crumbs under the toaster.....

(Update Jan 13, 2014) Still love this unit! Just wanted to note, when the filter is clean I get 15-20min+ of time out of it. I recently ran the unit 3 times without fully cleaning the filter out (just a quick empty and shake), one of the uses was lint from under/behind the dryer which really loaded up the filter. I noticed that without fully cleaning the filter the battery lasted well under 10min, maybe 5-7min... so if you're getting low use time out of the battery try cleaning the filter out completely. I use compressed air to blow out the paper filter 100% clean.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall I'm disappointed in this "improved" model., November 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have the unique experience of owning the prior 12 volt model for at least the past year. I have found it to be handy and useful, but really lacking in suction power and longevity. It also is messy and tedious to clean. I was really hoping that this newer 20 volt model would be a great improvement in suction strength and stamina. So far it has proven to be no better at either than the lesser volt model. What a big disappointment, and the cost of this newer model is not at all worth the functionality it delivers. I have a basic B&D, CHV 1510 ($40) 15.6v which works fantastic! It only requires the use of one hand, the suction is very strong, and it has excellent duration of use. I highly recommend that model over this one. Perhaps the only advantage of the BDH2000FL is the crevice tool and pet hair grabber if you think you are really going to use those tools. I like my older model's (FHV 1200, $54) styling much better. The AC power adapter plugged into the vacuum and the adjunct tools were attached to the base of the vacuum. This newer model has a charging base plate which holds the no longer on-board tools and the vacuum must be placed just right on the charging base in order for the contacts to connect and charge. So if you've taken the vacuum to use and you do want to use the tools you'll need to both remember to take them separately off the charging base AND HOLD onto them wherever you go to use the vacuum. The black shiny color of the new model shows all the dirt and debris. Sure you can dump the lose debris fairly easily, though often I need to stick my fingers into the chamber to pull out stuck debris-mostly pet hair and fuzzy wads that won't release from the donut shaped chamber. Cleaning either the new or old vacuum is the same. There is a plastic cup shaped "collander" with hundreds of tiny holes which tend to get plugged up. Under the cup is a baffled filter which fortunately can be hand washed/rinsed and air dried. It takes a lot of banging and rubbing to get most of the dirt out and thus makes a big mess of the sink and your hands. I personally am totally tired of all the cleaning that "bagless" vacuums take and the mess they make. Most hand vacuums are bagless. I have 3 cats and 2 dogs and I have never needed to use the pet hair grabber (we have mostly leather furniture), I may have used the crevice tool once or twice. I mostly use these handheld vacuums for cleaning the floor around our litter boxes on a daily basis. I think this vacuum is only ok. I would have returned it in a second had I paid for it ( I got mine through the Amazon Vine program) because there are simply much better functioning and convenient hand held vacuums available for much less cost. I'm sorry to dis a pretty good company, but this is just my opinion of one of their products.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little sucker, July 6, 2013
got this for my 82 y.o. mom who just moved to an apt and needed something to sweep her car out. Not too heavy but she is particular about efficiency of vacuum and this passed all of her tests. Loves to take care of her car with it but cleans up her patio etc also. strong combination of features and light.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparison with FHV1200 (NiCd version), December 22, 2013
Jeff (HEBRON, KY, US) - See all my reviews
I purchased the FHV1200 about a year ago and it still runs strong. Having been satisfied with the performance of this hand vac for its rather limited intended purpose, I decided to purchase the lithium ion version once the priced dipped below $100 to utilize the extra run time expanding its range of use.

Design:
Lets start with what each vacuum has in common. The design is the best charateristic of this vacuum. With a long, durable yet flexible hose and slim attachments this vacuum easily reaches tight spaces other hand vacuums simply cannot get to. Emptying the collection bin is easiee than any vacuum I've used and the turn dial to keep the filter from clogging helps keep your hands dust free. The cradle storage slots for additional attachment storage is nice to prevent them from going missing and the accessories themselves are well designed for their intended purposes. You can think of the pet attachment as a rubber lint brush with air suction. The one shortfall in design is the extremely limited debris storage capacity requiring frequent emptying. There is one advantage in the cradle design of this BDH2000 model over its NiCd counterpart in that you simply place the vacuum on top to charge, whereas, the wall adapter must be plugged directly into the FHV1200 unit. It is a small but useful added design feature that does well adding to the convenience factor that battery powered hand vacs are all about.

Performance:
The suction performance of each unit is good. There are stronger performing hand vacs out there but none as well designed and the suction is adequate for all intended purposes of a hand vac I can think of. If you hold a shop vac as the standard to gauge this or any other hand vacuums performance you will find yourself disappointed, but if you are more practical and judge by size to performance ratio you will be pleased. Oddly, the rated air wattage of the 20V (18V) lithium is slightly less than that of the 12V NiCd. In usage I could not distinguish either having superior suction over the other. Some people might be a little suprised with the 2X more expensive model offering no advantage with peak performance suction. It is the longevity and quick rejuvenation of the lithium powered BDH2000 that warrants the extra dough. It is necessary to leave the FHV1200 plugged in for 12+ hours before the indicator light reveals fully charged in stark contrast to this models less than 3 hour time frame before it is maxed out. Once charged I find the life of the FHV to be around 8min before losing suction power and coming to a hault by the 10min mark. With the lithium powered BDH model I find 20 minutes to be its average runtime while maintaining the same degree of suction throughout.

Conclusion:
Both this and the FHV1200 model offer the best functional design in the hand held vacuum market to include Dyson, while offering reasonable suction to tackle pet hair and light debris. The price difference may seem unjustifiable with the same design and suction strength, but the significantly reduced charging time coupled with double the run time will likely be the difference between a worthless product or a priceless product for many. Given the price of 20V lithium batteries for power tools and the real world performance difference, the price disparity between this BDH2000 and the FHV1200 is justified, although I do have to knock of 1 star as there are hand vacuums with slighter stronger suction for much lesser of a price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, February 16, 2014
No suction

I bought the BDH2000FL to replace a Black & Decker PHV1800 vacuum. The PHV1800 worked very well for 4.5 years until the battery would no longer charge. The BDH2000FL has very little suction. Where the PHV1800 would clean an area in one pass, the BDH2000FL requires 8 to 10 passes.

Pleated filter is difficult to install

The pleated filter in the BHD2000FL is held in place by plastic snaps. You can't snap the pleated filter in place by pushing on the filter's top. The filter bends but won't get past the plastic snaps. You have to push on the filter's bottom with a screwdriver or stick to snap it in place. I found this out the hard way. I removed the filter to clean it and pushed it back in as hard as I could. The filter seemed tight so I used to vacuum to clean some sand from my car's floor mats. Even though the filter looked like it was installed correctly, it wasn't. The vacuum picked up the sand and sprayed it all over my car's interior. When you clean the pleated filter, be sure that the filter is snapped in place or you will have a big mess to clean up. In comparison, the PHV1800 uses a twist to fasten filter that is fool proof. I don't know why Black & Decker changed to the difficult to use snap in filter for the BDH2000FL.

I would not buy this vacuum again. I would not recommend this vacuum to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, small, and much more useful than my old dustbuster (unfortunately, expensive), December 1, 2013
4 stars only due to cost. I've had this for a little while now, and have found it very useful. I use it far more often than I used my old dust-buster which this replaced. It's smaller than I imagined, roughly the same volume as the old traditional dustbuster I had, but configured differently.

The best aspect of this vacuum is the flexible hose. It lets you get into many more nooks and crannies than a traditional handheld vacuum. It's also very powerful, and I use it frequently to clean up little spills and messes that I would have dragged out the larger vacuum for in the past. It's great to use on our stairs and to work underneath cabinets and shelves.

Pros:
- Flexible hose
- Powerful & long running battery
- Lightweight & portable
- The brush attached to the standard head is super-convenient, and can be flipped into position easily
- Interchangeable heads include a narrow crevice tool & (very effective) pet-hair brush

Cons:
- The nozzle head could be wider; it's only 2" wide
- The dirt canister could be larger; much of the space is taken up by the filter
- The charging base requires a relatively large 6"x10" flat surface. There is no way to mount this on a wall or other horizontal surface
- High cost

4.0 out of 5 stars More power, longer lasting than original, January 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I became aware of the Flex Vac about a year-and-a-half before the first one was introduced when I was given a chance to view and comment upon the concept. I thought it was great idea and bought an HFV-1200 (12-volt) as soon at they appeared in the fall of 2009.

I've been very happy with the HFV-1200, not in the least because it came with the best pet hair vacuuming tool I've ever used. The main criticism of the HFV-1200 is about the running time. Running continuously, it slows audibly at about six minutes and is useless as a vacuum after about seven minutes, although it takes just under twenty minutes to fully drain the battery. The original model is useful for quick vacuuming tasks around the house, but does not work very well for sustained tasks like vacuuming the car.

Needless to say, I was happy try the BDH-2000FL to see what three years of improving battery technology might do for the Flex Vac.

Except for a few minor design changes and a different color scheme, the BHD-2000FL is nearly identical to the HFV-1200. There was one major change I'll address further down. To the casual observer, however, they are virtually the same.

The BHD-2000FL uses Lithium Ion batteries, the HFV-1200 uses nickel cadmium batteries. The BHD-2000FL is more powerful and has a longer runtime. The first time it was used to vacuum the car, it lasted long enough to do the trunk and about 99% of the interior, over 20 minutes with a couple of starts and stops. When I ran the BHD-2000FL continuously with no load (not vacuuming anything, just running) it ran for sixteen minutes before audibly slowing, and shut down completely at around seventeen minutes.

Both machines come with the same set of accessories: a nozzle-brush tool, a crevice tool, and a pet hair tool. They are different colors, but otherwise interchangeable. They use the same pleated filter (FVF100). Both the pleated filter and the plastic filter are washable.

There is one significant design change. The original had a plug-and-jack connection for charging the battery; the BDH-2000FL has a charging base, and it is BIG. With the older model, you could put it in any position to charge, or even hang it on a wall mount they made for it (sold through the Black & Decker parts web site; may still be available). The BHD-2000FL needs to be on a flat, level surface to charge. I can understand why they might choose this approach (it also acts as a caddy for the tools not being used), but it really limits the flexibility of where the vacuum can be stored when not in use. The footprint of the charging base is about 9.25 by 6.75 inches with an additional 3-6 inches of overhang for the nozzle and any attached tool. I would have been happier if they had designed it so that you could either use the charging base or plug in directly to the vacuum.

The BHD-2000FL has a significantly higher cost than the original model. For that money you are getting a machine with more power and a much longer run time. It has a battery that is considered to be recyclable instead of hazardous waste when it can no longer hold a charge.

I was happy with the original Flex Vac, I'm happier with the BHD-2000FL. I just wish I could I could also charge it while it hangs out of the way at the end of one of my kitchen counters. I still have not found a permanent home for the charging base.

Random notes:

- The pleated filter is washable and can even be put in the dishwasher. It should last quite awhile. If it needs to be replaced of if you want a spare to swap in while the first one is drying (they must be completely, absolutely dry before use). The FVF100 filter is available from Amazon, Black & Decker, and other sites.

- There is a corded 12-volt auto version of the Flex Vac (model PAD 1200) that plugs into a standard power port in your car.

- There is a powered brush head (model PB0240) for the FHV1200 that also fits the BDH-2000FL. It comes with a two-plug power supply that is not compatible with the BDH-2000FL, so you cannot charge both at once as you can with the earlier model.

- The wall mount for the FHV-1200 (part 90542169) holds the BDH200FL just fine, but you cannot charge it while its hanging on the mount. It is still listed on the Black & Decker parts web site.

- Black and Decker offered the wall mount packaged with a shoulder strap (WBSS100). It may still be available on other web sites. I thought the strap was an interesting idea, but it did not work very well for me.

When I read reviews about other portable products on Amazon and elsewhere, it's clear that some buyers have completely unrealistic expectations about battery running time. Any time you are powering a motor from a battery, it's going to suck the battery dry very quickly, even a motor as small as the one in the Flex Vacs (it's inside the filter housing, a remarkable feat of engineering). The BDH200FL is a leap forward in cordless portable vacuums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, June 16, 2013
It is really best of the kind.
It is reasonably loud and light to carry around.
The flexible hose adds a lot to the functionality and I'm using it all the time.
Suction is sufficient for most tasks.
I didn't run out of jus so far while I was using it around my home and car.
So it looks like the claimed 18 minutes of runtime is plenty for daily chores.
I was using PHV1800 before and this new one is a quantum leap in every aspect

Advantages:
- Li-Ion battery, long running handheld vacuum, always charged
- Light, with good enough steady suction
- Snap-on tools are the ingenious invention - they don't fall off
- Sturdy, elegant engineering

Disadvantages
- You need to hold it with two hands, it slips easily from every surface if you pull the hose leaving the vacuum standing alone.
So be cautious of putting it on any countertop while reaching out to vacuum a corner.
- Takes space and you cannot wall-mount it. I designed a special shelf to store it.
- Blue charging light is a bright one it can light up a small bedroom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works just as well as the Dyson DC-34 and is more convenient, June 2, 2013
H. Stamas (Milford, NH USA) - See all my reviews
Having tried both this unit and a Dyson DC-34 side by side have to say that I am torn as to which one works better. It was a much easier choice when comparing the older (and less expensive) NiCad version of this vacuum to the Dyson, at over $100 savings the Black & Decker was a no brainer. Now that this new model has come out, having the same Lithium Ion battery technology and is more closely priced, the decision became a bit harder. I guess what sold me on the Black & Decker was the convenience of the detachable hose (you can get a hose for the Dyson but that adds to the cost). Another convenience over the Dyson is the on/off switch. Dysons trigger button is a major PITA, one that I didnt think would bother me but in every day use, is a major issue. Dyson has a slight edge with pick up power but it really is negligible. To be honest, for a company that bases almost all of its marketing hype on how powerful the DC-34 is, I am quite underwhelmed at its pickup ability. Please note that I am purposely using the words "pick up power" and not "suction". Suction power or rating is not nearly as important as people think it is when it comes to vacuums. Air movement is MUCH more a determining factor in your vacuums ability to get dirt up and into the vacuum. Dyson may have more suction power but I am not really sold on its air movement abilities. Finally, please note that I am not here just to bash Dyson as I own their upright and am really happy with it.