Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

• Customer Reviews

on September 23, 2008
I am very impressed with this rice cooker. Many of the reviews for other brands were not very encouraging. I thought that Black and Decker has never let me down, so I gave it a shot. I measure exactly as directed on the instructions and the rice comes out perfect. I even substitute broth for the water and add my own blends of spices based on my cravings that particular evening. The cleanup is fantastic. I am going to buy one for my daughter and grandson this Christmas. We have used this cooker about 12 times now and the results are consistent. Please note the smaller size of this unit if you cook very large amounts of rice at one time.
** I have now owned this cooker for 7 months and am still amazed at how well it works. It remains so easy to clean up even after using it about 2-3 times per week. It has always produced perfect rice. And, that is even when I add lots of different items for a variety of rice dishes.
99 comments|296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2010
I bought this rice cooker for my husband for Christmas. We never had a rice cooker so we didn't know what to expect and for the price (and the other reviews) I thought I'd give this one a try. If there was any confusion about how much rice it would make, one look at it would be a huge clue....but I knew it would be fine for the two of us. I've made 2 'measures' of raw rice and it was way too much for both of us ~ even though it's designed for 3 cups (measures) I doubt we would ever make that much.

We love the small size and have cooked brown rice, jasmine and basmati perfectly so far. We learned that if the warmer is left on too long it will get a little browned on the bottom so we just unplug it and let it steam. I would give it 5 stars, however it does 'spew' as someone else wrote earlier and I've learned to put a paper towel under it to catch any mess. I don't know if that is because it's such a small size or if that's common with rice cookers in general. However, the unit is very easy to clean. I read that some cookers have a hinged, non-removable lid and I knew I didn't want that. For the price, this cooker is simple, efficient, takes up very little space and a bargain!
22 comments|144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2013
Okay first let me say I picked this cute little rice cooker up at a church sale. It looked brand new, and for the low, low price of $2.00 I said "might as well".

It did not come with instructions, but I stumbled on a quick recipe for black beans and rice in a rice cooker and decided to give it a test run. I used 1 cup of rice (rinsed), 1 can rotel (drained), 1 can black beans (rinsed, drained), and 1 (14.5 ounce) can of chicken broth. I placed everything in the pot and it came up to the top line...then I happened to glance at the negative reviews.

Now a little afraid...I put a baking pan under the cooker and expected it to not turn on, boil over everywhere, or at worst burn a hole through the table.

What it did was make one full pot of terrific rice, perfectly cooked to my taste and without ANY mess.

So far, so good.
review image
11 comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2008
After getting it I was able to easily cook sushi rice as well as accurately gauge how much rice to cook for four people without waste. I have yet to burn a batch and the item itself is idiot proof, flip the switch and go find something else to do. The warmer function works as advertised and I have been able to successfully leave the rice in for over an hour with no adverse effects. Highly recommended!
0Comment|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2011
This is a 6 cup rice cooker...right? On page five under the heading "cooking rice" the manual reads ..."This cooker can cook up to 1 1/2 measures of rice and yield a maximum of about 3 cups of cooked rice". This little statement will leave you racking your brain when you compare it to page 7 which indicates that to yield 5 1/2 cups of cooked rice you should use 3 rice meaures (each measure is 3/4 cup) and fill the water up to the 3 cup mark. I had to call customer service to find out which is correct. The answer is that the guide on page 7 of the manual is correct. The statement on page 5 (five) is simply incorrect according to the customer service rep. I ignored page 5 and put in 3 full measures of rice and i can verify that it yielded just over 5 cups of white rice.

One other note...The rice measure has to be filled to the brim to be a full "measure" of rice. Ignore the very pronounced ring of plastic just below the rim. It is just another confusing issue with this product.

Edit: So we have been using this product for quite some time now. I've moved past the mistake in the instructions. If you consider the price, this thing is darn near amazing. I can't give it 5 stars since the actual yield is less than advertised. I will say that we have used this to cook flawless Quinoa (try it with seafood stock to go with your salmon), Brown Rice and white rice. We use this silly little appliance a lot. I'm adding a star.
11 comment|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2015
This product is advertised as 3 cup dry/6 cooked. The makers provide a metric measuring "cup" equivalent to 2/3 of a cup. Thus the three cup dry = 2 cups and thus only 4 cup cooked. It is misleading and the rice cooker is very tiny. It works great and I love the steamer insert, but it's not sufficient size for a larger group for dinner.
on October 21, 2011
It worked for me for 4 months and it was great. for 13.00, I didn't expect a whole lot. But I did expect it to work and last at least a year.

Nope. It died on me today. It won't light up or heat up. Not impressed.
on September 17, 2015
We got this one in December 2014. All this time, it was fine, but today all of sudden while cooking rice, we noticed that the lid broke into pieces all by itself. Not sure if it is a defective piece or not.
on January 14, 2010
Updated 12/10: I've had this cooker for a year now and am ready to pass it on and get a better one. Initially I thought it was fine, but I'm tired of pots of rice with a crust at the bottom or hard-ish grains. This cooker is basically a hot plate. Like the Scarecrow: It has no brains. It doesn't sense your rice, and it doesn't make any adjustment. The fancier and more expensive pots do. I'm glad I had it for a year, so I could realize that I like having a rice cooker, and I'll be glad when this one is gone and I have a better one.

Original review: I'm not giving this rice cooker 5 stars because I just can't get *that* excited about it. Hey, it's just a rice cooker. But it does exactly what it's supposed to do and does it reliably. It's a great size for my family of 2 adults and 2 children, although, like others I was pretty surprised when I saw how small the bowl is. To answer some specific concerns of reviewers: the rice doesn't stick in the least, and I've not had it get brown and crusty on the bottom; I have not had any problem with a starchy mess coming out the steam hole; brown rice needs a bit more water (as it says in the instructions) and comes out just fine. The instructions say that the cooker will take between 20 minutes for a small amount of white rice to 60 minutes for the largest amount of brown rice. I made a full pot of short-grain brown rice just last night, and I am sure that it did not take 60 minutes. In addition, once cooking is complete, the cooker automatically switches to a warm cycle, and the rice can be held in this way for up to 5 hours.
77 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2011
I am from South Asia and our main food is rice. We don't mind eating rice 3 times a day 365 days. We cook Basmati, Sona Masuli, Jasmine most of the time./ I have used almost all rice cooker similar to this price wise. I was very frustrated to see its black things coming out @ the very first week. I seriously deserve another. But I don't want same RC in my kitchen again.

I had National brand before before this. Which was very good. Non stick inner pot was thick. But I myself mishandled it and nonstick got scratched and came out.But it still make good rice and keeps moisture within. I prefer National over this B& D.

Let me share my experiences.

Its inner pot is so light and non stick layer is poor. Mine came out within a week and even came out the place around the lid. I handled this one very carefully Bcoz I scratched previous one's nonstick. I even dint let my husband to wash it and handled it by myself only. But it came out so easily i cannot believe.
I left my rice in warm mode after cooking (I did not pull cord from plug), at the bottom and top layer rice was so dry that you can not imagine eating it.When you cook rice around 2 cups, water overflows all over counter. And guess what, you cannot cook more than 1 cup of rice if you want to put steamer inside.

No star for this product... but giving one since I can not submit without it. Pathetic
44 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse