4.0 out of 5 stars great tool - one caution
Published on September 28, 2007 by Carlos A. Perez

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, Poor Execution
Published on January 19, 2012 by C. Andew Currie

4.0 out of 5 stars great tool - one caution, September 28, 2007
This review is from: Black & Decker RCT100 TriRatchet 3/8-Inch 3-In-1 Drive Ratchet (Tools & Home Improvement)
Although Stanley makes a slightly more compact "rotator" ratchet, I bought this one because of the 1/4 inch hex drive, which works great with a cordless screwdriver. Feel stupid admitting that I whacked myself on the head with the removable handle. It removed itself all too quickly when a bolt broke while I was pulling on the handle...as the angle decreased towards me the friction retainer could not prevent my hand and handle - with a hard metal cap! - from coming back at my forehead. It was an unusual position working on the boat but a definite possibility that could be easily cured by providing a simple pushbutton release on the handle.
It has saved me a lot of time working in corners where there just isn't any room to use a regular screwdriver or ratcheting handle, and the 90 degree configuration is more useful than the angled "skewdriver".
Definitely a tool that should be in your box.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, Poor Execution, January 19, 2012
This is one of those cases where it works great in theory but in real life application falls well short of expectations. I've had mine for a few years. When it worked properly it was very handy. Once I broke nut or bolt loose with a heavier duty ratchet or breaker bar I would use this. When equipped to a grill or power driver it was really great at getting the nut or bolt on and off quickly. The rotating handle also meant you could get into tight spaces and not have to worry about room to swing a conventional ratchet.

However, there were two design flaws right of of the box. First is that the handle doesn't stay on very well. There's no locking mechanism to keep it on, just a weak magnet. I've had the handle slip off multiple times while using it, so I usually just attached it to the drill. The second flaw is that the gear drive easily switches between clockwise and counter clockwise.

However these flaws were things I was willing to overlook to a point, until the gear inside the rotator began to slip. Sometimes it grabs and you can use it, however it'll often just spin and do nothing. The conventional gears in the head of the ratchet still work, but if I wanted a conventional ratchet I'd just use my Craftsman. Which I do. And they don't break. And they're Made in USA. And they have a LIFETIME warranty.

B&D comes up with some pretty innovative tools, but the quality just isn't there (and this tool was not abused), and the 2-year warranty shows they don't have the confidence to stand behind their products. I'll stick with my Craftsman, GearWrench, or Stanley tools.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous, January 14, 2011
Dave (Franklin, TN) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Like others, I thought B&D had a good idea with a ratchet wrench with a removable handle to enable it to be operated by inserting it into the chuck of a drill. The ratchet I received had two major flaws that render the tool useless and dangerous. First, the ratcheting end of the tool can separate from the handle just by picking up the tool by the handle. This is because the drive shaft has no locking mechanism holding it to the handle other than an indentation on the shaft that is supposed to be held by a single spring loaded ball bearing. Second, the gear drive within the ratchet can easily slip from clockwise to counter clockwise; sometimes passing a neutral locking function and sometimes not. This means that you cannot have confidence that when you place some force on the drive shaft that the ratcheting mechanism will not slip and potentially cause serious injury. I noticed that this tool is no longer available on Amazon. It would not surprise me if this tool has been discontinued since I bought it a couple of months ago. I would venture to guess that B&D has had to deal with a number of injury complaints as well.

I have never bought Black and Decker tools because they are of the highest quality, however, they do come up with some good ideas from time to time. This is not one of those times. I would recommend that you return your B&D ratchet without even opening the package. Even if you are lucky enough to escape injury, I believe this tool will just gather dust if it is not returned. If you decide to try using the ratchet anyway, please exercise caution that you fingers or hand will not strike something sharp if the gearing or handle fails.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but poor execution, December 21, 2009
I bought this about a year ago because I was intrigued by the idea of a ratchet wrench that I could use in tighter spaces by simply rotating the handle. This would probably do quite well at that EXCEPT that Black and Decker came up with the "brilliant" idea to make the ratchet part removable from the handle so that it could be "used" in a drill as well. This causes two major problems:

1) As a right angle drill bit adapter it is more or less worthless, as it has far too much wobble (and a ridiculous method of attaching the bit) to be useful. If you need a right angle drill, save yourself the trouble and just go buy one. No adapter attached to a drill is going to do remotely as good a job as even a cheap right angle drill (like my $50 cordless ryobi right angle drill that I ultimately purchased for this exact purpose).

2) Once you've made the mistake of removing the ratchet part from the handle, the handle will never tightly grip it again, meaning that there will be too much slop in the handle and (more often than not) the ratchet will simply fall out of the handle if you're not paying attention to what you're doing.

I think that Stanley makes a non-removable handle one of these (Stanley 92-640 3/8-Inch Rotator Ratchet Set) which I haven't yet tried myself. If you're serious about buying one, that's probably the choice I would recommend, because this would be a great tool if it simply tried to be just a ratchet wrench.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy tool., February 11, 2008
Jipamy (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
A very handy tool, especially when combined with a cordless drill or driver. It's durable and ingenious. I'd definitely recommend this for the weekend garage mechanic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, June 25, 2011
Yes, you can spin the ratchet by turning your wrist, but you won't have enough torque to provide any secure joint. The head on this thing is bulky making it a huge pain to use in your car on tight spaces. The neck ALWAYS falls off from the handle forcing me to fish though hoses in my car in order to get it when it falls. Another thing that annoys me about this tool is its lack of response. It feels like the gears in this thing are loose because the handle moves half an inch before I actually put any force on the nut.

I threw mine away, but for those looking to give a gift, similar tools can make a mechanic happy. Consider flex handle ratchets or roto-ratchets instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy tool!, August 31, 2008
I am giving this tool 5 stars simply for its versatility and price. Being able to remove the ratchet from the handle and use in a drill is great for light duty tasks. The twist handle ratchet action is also good for when you are working in tight places where you can't easily spin the handle. It is comfortable to use and so far has not had a fault or issue. I love using this tool for outboard and light duty mechanical repairs. I'd buy another if this one broke down for any reason.

4.0 out of 5 stars Triratchet, April 23, 2010
This tool I only use it when I work in awkard places I wish there is a triratchet in 1/2 it woul be very helpfull .

2.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Junk, August 7, 2008
Clunky and doesn't execute very well. Dangerous. Forget drilling with this. You need included bits and one broke in 10 seconds into soft wood - too much wobble in system. I'd give it no stars if they let me change it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good design, a little pricey, August 14, 2008
Like the compact design, feels heavy enough that it won't break if you actually use it as a tool.Seems a bit pricey at $30.