4.0 out of 5 stars scumbuster is backsaver!
Published on August 29, 2005 by Julie Bakke

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment
Published on March 17, 2006 by Mary D. Staples

4.0 out of 5 stars scumbuster is backsaver!, August 29, 2005
This review is from: Black and Decker S600 Cordless Powered Scrubber (Kitchen)
I absolutely love this contraption. My mom has a lower model (300) without the cleaning solution reservoir, and using hers is what prompted me to buy the S600. It makes cleaning so much easier, and the attachments have helped me get into cracks and crevices that had been neglected in the past. My only complaints about the scumbuster are the the length of charge that the internal battery holds and the "storage" box. First, it'll die on you in the middle of cleaning, so you have to put it on the charger for a few hours to recharge it in order to finish. Second, the storage/carry case is the chintsy plastic box that it came in, and it does not stay closed very well. My mom's came with a nice carry container that you can carry around with you and store it in. I like the scumbuster so much that I bought two of them, one to give as a gift.

I think Black and Decker has some honing to do however, to make this product worthy of a 5 star rating. I have had two problems with the scumbuster since I bought it. The first scumbuster I received in the mail--only one of the two speeds worked. I sent it back for a replacement. The next one they sent me had a reservoir that leaked the cleaning product all over me and the floor, hence, there was none to use on the surface I was cleaning. This could also be a potential problem for products that stain clothes/carpet or are not supposed to come in contact with skin. Anyways, I called Black and Decker themselves, and they were very nice, and immediately sent a replacement reservoir, which I received in 2 or 3 days. No problems since. This is such a good product people, that I still recommend it even though I've seen a couple bumps in the road. You can use the scumbuster anywhere, inside, outside, in the car, anywhere. I've used in on the carpet, and even on the siding on my house (a whole other story). The scumbuster S600 can be used with or without cleaning products, and with lower models all you do is spray the product on the surface like you would in any other cleaning task. IT can be submerged in water too, to rinse off the cleaning pad. If you ask me, this is a way better product than the dustbuster could ever hope to be. Buy one (any model) today!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cleaning Power Tool, October 13, 2005
This review is from: Black and Decker S600 Cordless Powered Scrubber (Kitchen)
I love this device. I have cleaned everything from carpet (spot cleaning) to grills to bathrooms. I bought my first Scumbuster in 1998 and it just wore out last spring. I immediately when to the Black and Decker store and purchased another one. I have also given them as gifts. It really gets things clean with little effort and I think it saves time. It makes cleaning the grout lines in my all tile shower with little ventilation incredibly easy. I think I also use less cleaning product than when I clean with a sponge. The downside is you have to remember to plug it in every once in a while. Although, the charge does last a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! No arm strength needed. Cleans like a dream!, December 22, 2005
dianetavegia "Diane" (Villa Rica, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black and Decker S600 Cordless Powered Scrubber (Kitchen)
Hubby got me the ScumBuster S600 on Tuesday and Wednesday I was able to get off built on grease under drip pans and remove stains from the white formica (think builder cheap stuff) counter tops! I've got some baseboard corners to try it on next!

I'm not one to easily spend $40.00 but this was well worth the cost!

Diane Tavegia

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo Black and Decker!! Bravo!!, December 8, 2005
As a person who absolutely detests cleaning the bathroom I must say this product was made for me!! I love-love-love this product!! I was so eager to try it that I will admit I didn't wait the full 16 charging hours recommended...After about 4 hours I couldn't stand the suspense anymore and I unplugged my scumbuster and went to work on my bathroom....Totally effortless cleaning!!! I hadn't seen my grout so clean in (I must admit) years!...It did miss a spot or two but I think that was my fault for not allowing it to fully charge...I'm sure those couple spots will be cleaned right up in the morning after I allow it to properly charge!!

After purchasing the ScumBuster I don't think I'll have a problem cleaning the bathroom from now on!!

All I can say is BRAVO Black and Decker!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, March 17, 2006
This review is from: Black and Decker S600 Cordless Powered Scrubber (Kitchen)
Another customer wrote about the unreliability of this product, and I dismissed the warning. The product does not meet normal standards of quality. Don't get me wrong, it is a great idea and works well when it works. However, within 6 weeks of use, my scumbuster's speed switch failed. When I called Black & Decker they insisted that I take the product to a repair facility that is more than a 1 hour drive from me to drop it off and go back and pick it up. When I said that I don't have time to drive that far for this repair and I wanted to send it in, I was given all the bureaucratic double talk about why they would not want to do that. When I insisted, they told me they would write it up and send it to a supervisor (meaning I have no idea when they will respond). Worse yet, when I shared my concern about this difficulty and the reviews I had read that warned of the problem with service on an unreliable product, they told me they did not care that I would write this review. Hence, my warning to future customers: the product is unreliable and service even more difficult to obtain. Good luck to future buyers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a dissappointment, February 10, 2006
This review is from: Black and Decker S600 Cordless Powered Scrubber (Kitchen)
My mother owns the Mr. Bubble scum buster that is several years old and I have borrowed manytimes. This year I was looking foward to getting the Black and Decker Scumb Buster with all it's attachments and cleaning fluid comparment. I was incredibly dissapointed.

1. The cleaning fluid leaks all over the place and I wound up having to refill it several times while cleaning my tub, and just wound up wasting a lot of cleaning fluid.

2. The battery doesn't last. The first time I used it I charged it over night (for the reccommended 18 hours before first use) and then used it. It bearly lasted until I finished the bathroom. Then next time I used it I charged it for several hours before cleaning and it only made it half way through the base of my tub before giving up on me.

3. When the battery is working upto full speed it is not as powerful as you need to scrub a tub, I still wind up putting a lot of my own strength into into; which I wouldn't mind if anything else worked the way it was supposed to.

Overall, a complete waste of money, try one by another brand and just spray the cleaning solution on yourself :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorely dissappointed., March 6, 2006
This review is from: Black and Decker S600 Cordless Powered Scrubber (Kitchen)
We had high expectations for this product. It scrubbed very well and did a great job that way, but the mechanism that pushes the liquid cleaning solution was broken when we got the first one. The replacement had a similar problem, so we'll just go back to good old elbow grease. Also, the plastic tab that was supposed to cover the recharge port had a tendency to fall open, not good in a wet enviroment. I'm dissapointed in Black and Decker, it seems this product needed some more real world testing.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love a good gadget that motivates me to clean!, October 12, 2007
This review is from: Black and Decker S600 Cordless Powered Scrubber (Kitchen)
For years I have been putting my old oscillating powertooth brush (the round head kind) to work scrubbing grout, and one day it occured to me that I needed a giant sized power brush for my tubs and shower walls! That is when I picked up the Scumbuster.

The PROS:

It does the work for you, you don't need to (and should not, according to the manual) apply much pressure. I use it on high power and it does a good job.

It has a reservoir that sprays cleaning liquid as you go (since I usually find Comet or Barkeeper's Friend powder cleansers to be the most effective- I just fill the reservoir with plain old water)

It has an assortment of brush/scrubber attachments so you have options for each situation (yet,I find I only use the scrubbers)

The price is right (I see Amazon just put the price down to lower than I paid)

It MOTIVATES you to clean that grungy old bath tub, and you can use it while you shower, because it's water resistant.

THE CONS:

As many have already noted, the charge runs out after about 20+ mins of continuous cleaning. Since that is what I usually do, I let it run down and then keep it charged in between (therefore, I threw away that "case" it comes with)

The scrubbing pad attachment (the plastic piece) doesn't really "click" in, and falls off on occasion. (maybe I'm not doing it right-- feel free to comment me if you know something I don't)

The scrubbing pads themselves, don't always stick well to the teeth of the attachment. One way to ensure they do stick better is to use a needle or pick to pull out the fibers that get caught in the teeth of the base attachment after changing them.

I go through scrubbing pads quickly and they are hard to find. (HOWEVER...I found I can purchase those cheap green flat scrubbing pads at the grocery ($1 for 4) and cut them into circles and stick them on)

It can get heavy when you are stretching to clean something (to alleviate this, I found that I don't always need the reservoir so I leave it off and it makes it a bit easier to use) I just hose the shower down then sprinkle my cleanser and that works fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Labor-saver !, August 23, 2007
This review is from: Black and Decker S600 Cordless Powered Scrubber (Kitchen)
I purchased this device so I could effectively tackle a renter's worst nightmare - moldy old bathroom grout, soap-scum stained tiles, and years of accumulated, greasy cooking grime on kitchen cabinetry and stove. (And shame, shame, shame on lazy landlords who have the effrontery to rent apartments in such deplorable condition!)
Imagine my delight and relief when 40 years of dark mold came off the grout within seconds !(I used the grout brush attachment that comes with this unit, setting #2, and a cleaning spray called "Awesome".)

This device makes tackling tough projects faster, more efficient, and less odious !

It packs more power than my elbow grease ever could ! In this respect, I give it high marks.

Other reviewers have pointed out flaws like ergonomics, and I agree.

It is clumsy to hold, especially when cleaning vertical surfaces, but not impossibly so. I'd prefer a more powerful motor and more rpms; a corded version that could run as long as necessary, rather than a rechargable cordless/submersable design. While the cleaning fluid reservoir seems like a thoughtful convenience, I'll pass - I don't want to add extra liquid weight, and I don't want the chore of cleaning out and drying the reservoir after use.

Overall, for the price, this is affordable, effective and a great time and labor saver. A must-have basic cleaning appliance for anyone setting up house, or looking to streamline cleaning chores !

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what is advertised... But is a bit overpriced, March 8, 2006
This review is from: Black and Decker S600 Cordless Powered Scrubber (Kitchen)
It does what it is advertised to do. However the price i beleive is not justified. Overall I would think 20 bucks would be right for what it does. Like any other power brush, dont expect miracles by itself, you will need a good spray or a solution to complement it. I have used it extensively in the bath rooms and it worked fine, although it needed a few recharges. And for saftey reasons associated with electric shock, you cannot use this while its plugged in for charging. I paid 40 bucks for this item, I am giving 3 stars because it does not represent value for money, I would give 5 stars for a price in the range of 20-25.

Black and Decker S600 Cordless Powered Scrubber