5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent little trimmer.
With a $25 gift certificate I got this for less than $10. It was well worth it. I am trying my best to get rid of needless gas motors because two ATVs, a lawn tractor and a mower is more than enough to maintain. I also wanted something that was very light so my wife could use it.

I have 3/4 of an acre of lawn and don't mind using cords to get where I need to...
Published on November 18, 2008 by P. Cook

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for small jobs, but messy
This trimmer is a step down from the last electric weed whacker I used. It can get the job done, but it doesn't do it as quickly - I find that I have to be much more careful in my technique, or the string will simply brush over grass blades and weeds without cutting them. My other beef is that there isn't a sufficient guard on the back side to keep my feet and legs from...
Published on May 16, 2009 by Ian Robertson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 444 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Disposable trimmer, April 4, 2014
This review is from: Black & Decker ST1000 9-Inch 1.8 amp Electric Grass Trimmer (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
We used this a total of 2 times. It did an ok job but sure doesn't cut a lot of area. The third time we had to cut a few weeds, It just quit working. Won't turn on. Doesn't make a noise. Dead as a door nail. Waste of money even if it was only twenty bucks or so, I would expect it to work past two times AND we don't have big weeds or a lot of them. Just a few. I also ordered extra string for it which ended up being a waste of money too. The trimmer quit before the string that it came with run out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black & Decker is back!, July 27, 2012
For about the past 10 years, Black & Decker tools have been shadows of their former greatness. I can't speak for the other tools, but this little weed trimmer is the BEST!!!! Let's face it, for those of us who toil in our yards, there are few things more infuriating than weed trimmers. The line jams, the line runs out, the line won't release. Jeez! I've bought electric ones, gas-powered ones, cheap ones, expensive ones and most have disappointed. I stumbled up this little one at a Home Depot a couple of years ago and thought I'd give it a shot. I couldn't believe it. This thing actually works - in an uncomplicated way. My only complaint is that due to the fact my yard is large, I have to use the trimmer in intervals - otherwise the small motor overheats.

Recently, I finally blew-out my first one of these and immediately I scurried up to Home Depot to get another, but HD doesn't carry this model anymore! What bozos! Since Amazon carries everything in the world, I checked and of course, they carry this nifty little weed trimmer - and cheaper that HD did!

If you need a reliable weed trimmer, do yourself and your nerves a favor and snap this one up. It is light, easy to maneuver, easy to load and performs a trouble-free clip. My only tip is that if you have a large yard, let your clipper rest between areas so you won't burn the motor up, as I did my last one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy this trimmer, November 9, 2011
I bought this mini and weak trimmer just because it's cheap. But I would like to remind you not to buy this. I only used twice and returned for the refund in 30 days. The second time I used it only took less than 10 minutes, then the electric motor blew off smelly smoke, burned I thought.
This trimmer is not powerful enough. It's too weak to handle even a small garden. Use your hands and manual trimmer for your small garden is even better and quick than using this short arm trimmer. This is a bad product no matter how cheap it is.
Amazon won't let me post the review if I refuse to rate it (zero star). So I rated it one star instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars This product will change your life the way it changed mine., March 22, 2013
I was never the popular kid in school, growing up. I had friends, like we all did, but I was never in the homecoming court, I was never the star quarterback, and even into college, I wasn't someone who 'stood out'. As an adult, I'm like every other guy on the block with my 2.3 kids, wife, sedan, mortgage, and so forth.

Lately, I had been pondering the path I've walked these 38 years...the path of mediocrity, the path of conformity, the path well-worn by thousands of average everymen before me.
One day I was in my local Home Depot looking for a new toilet paper roll holder when I walked by the lawn and garden section, and saw the Black and Decker St1000 9-inch electric grass trimmer, and I couldn't believe the rush of sheer.....LIFE.....suddenly surging through my nervous system.

I picked up a demo unit and held it in my hand, and begun to weep. A dramatic, shuddering catharsis took place in the Toledo Lowes that night, my friends, I can tell you. I would not any more live the beige life, I would live the life of GRASS GREEN like the THOUSANDS of weeds I would cut down around the perimeter of my lawn. I would NO MORE stand for the second-rate, plastic-covered mundane colorless world, but kick down the door into the vibrant, well-manicured lawn world of the coolest guy on the block with the tidiest hedgerow and immaculate front walk.
By the time I arrived at the cashier, I was gripping a wadded twenty in my hand, feeling like a quadruplegic who had just gained the ability to walk, panting and sweating. "Will this be all, sir" were words I laughed at, as if a man would need anything else. I paid her and dashed to the car, sped home and couldn't even make it up the driveway all the way. A littered pathway of packaging was strewn across my front lawn the way young married people in love discard clothing on honeymoon suites, as I made my way to the garage for an extension cord. I was holding my very own molded plastic ticket to lawn beauty paradise as I plugged it in, and the device came to life with a majestic, harmonious vrrvrvrrrrrrrrrrvrrrrrvrvrvrrrrrrr. I brought the trimming head down onto a thatch of bastard dandelion and applied it's rotary justice. sappy green and white vegetation strewn across the base of my house like a warning to any other weeds that dared sprout in my lawn, and I swear I laughed for a solid hour. This ST1000 had finally made me a man.

I didn't like how the line was only 0.065", but that's the only negative I can think of.

5.0 out of 5 stars much better than expected, June 20, 2012
jessica (MINNEAPOLIS, MN, United States) - See all my reviews
So glad I bought this thing after reading reviews for about 10 different trimmers. Ultimately, price and that this was the only trimmer that was still shipping out that day were the deciding factors for me. After using this for 3 hours yesterday to beat back nature's bounty, I can't imagine what the guys who write lengthy reviews on these products are doing with trimmers that they need, in some cases, 10 times more power than this thing has.

The device comes in three pieces connected together by the wiring inside - looks like a regular wire u would find on any plug. You snap the three pieces together- if they dont fit nicely u probably have them turned the wrong way. There are 2 screws with nuts that hold it together. Took me less than 5 to put it together with my bare hands.

give a glance to the instructions and make note of how to advance the line by pressing a button on the bottom, stay away from chain link or any wire or wire like thing, and cut big weeds starting from the top and work down.

Let me assure u I have a variety of interesting and large weeds in my yard at this point in the season. The only ones this couldn't cut were the thickest parts of the stalkiest weeds. I have what looks like several asparagus stalks in the yard now but that just makes it easier to pull them up. By working from top down u can see what exactly the trimmer will do without serious risk of hurting the machine... I suppose ... worked well for me. After that its all about the angle you use. Technique matters.

It does throw crap very hard and fast in all directions - if portions of your ankles are uncovered the wipped weed can hurt. I would recommend wearing glasses of some kind as I nearly took a hit to the eye.

at this price, even if the machine only lasts one season it will be worth it to me. I don't like, and am frightened of electric/gas mowers. I have a manuel push mower and don't have time or desire enough to use it as often as I should and this machine means I can make it through the season on my own steam without having to pay someone 40 bucks a time to do it for me. Then I can spend the savings on prettier slower growing plants.

** have used the machine half a dozen times now ... the only people who like it better than me are the neighbors

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what I need, June 4, 2012
Daniel Pyle (Springfield, MO USA) - See all my reviews
Some reviewers have complained about a lack of power with this particular model. I haven't noticed that being a problem. I have a fairly small yard, and this trimmer is perfect. It trims around the flower beds and edges the sidewalk with no problem. It is very lightweight (I have been able to continue using it with ease my entire pregnancy) and easy to use. Compared with my old gas powered trimmer, this is a thousand times better. It only runs when you squeeze the trigger, making it much safer around pets and small children. It runs upside-down, which would have caused my gas one to flood and be unusable. And it is very quiet. I have owned it for about a year now, and have just now had to replace the string (and that's using it every week or two except during winter), and it has worked perfectly every time I use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable Price, effective tool, August 22, 2010
This tool works very well. And at this price, it is a no brainer. I use this on my St. Augustine grass and it cuts it close. I love the bump feature to release more string. It is also very light and quiet.

Just buy an appropriate extension cord and you are good to go. Nothing to charge and it does not use gas, so it does no pollute.

4.0 out of 5 stars very lightweight, September 21, 2009
great for a person with back problems since it is so lightweight. The cord can be a pain in the butt to haul it around a large yard, but it is worth it for me since I have a bad back. It takes care of very tall (~6 inches), thick grass even though it isn't the strongest motor.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellant, September 19, 2008
Very happy with the purchase the product is light weight and easy for my wife to handle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best $20 I ever spent!, July 2, 2010
For the $19.97 purchase price this little machine does the job and does it well. Ok, it is short for my (used to be 6 foot) frame and causes me backaches but the majority of Americans are below 5'9". Those who are tall with disabilities - think about doing the job in very short runs.

I chose not to buy the refills as two of them are the price of the machine. I am still on my first reel with a few feet left to go. I doubt that one reel will go a full season. I am able to trim around the mailbox, up and at the bottom of fences and close to the house. This probably explains why 1 reel won't survive a season - I go really close and cut thick weeds, stalks and growth up and down my chain link fence.

One feature I especially like is the cord holder. Squeeze a button in the handle, fold over the electric cord and stuff it in the handle cavity. Releasee the button and you will not be pulling out the electric cord as you work.

2 year warranty too if I remember correctly. For a corded weed wacker, this has plenty of power. Liteweight, but stubby. The plastic body can take a drop ok. It's fallen over in my shed with no problem.

I should probably write another review after I refill the cord from the 500' spool I purchased at the same time. If you want to hold off until then, fine - but for less than 20 bucks - you'll miss out on a lot of weed wacking. Why is that the weeds grow twice as high and twice as fast as the grass? Heck, I've used this to cut the grass is small spaces instead of dragging out the lawn mower. One B&D product that I actually recommend and tell my neighbor every time I'm using it - best twenty bucks I've ever spent.

John S.