Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Black & Decker Spacemaker Under-Counter Can Opener
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on January 11, 2007
This opener is pretty sleek and easy to install--took me about 30 minutes (be sure to read the instructions carefully!) OK-so, the operation. Well, it's alright. My wife actually got the hang of it before I did. You don't just put the can on the unit cause it won't grab it. You put the can on, pull down the lever, then push the can back a bit (?) till it catches and starts to open and turn. After a dozen or so cans you get the hang of it and the power of this opener is great. Still, I wonder if the design couldn't be improved, though it's ok for now.
on August 2, 2014
These are the best best best can openers, ever. I have 3 for three difference places, only because they're so easy to use and out of the way. They hold the can in place sturdily everytime. One of these I've had for several years and the only thing with it is that it's starting to yellow a bit. Even have one in my camper. Tried other openers, but this one is the only one to use.
on January 30, 2009
So far the can opener has performed as described. It runs a little slower than our old one, but the cutout can lid is safer to handle due the curled down edge. The instuctions show the opener being installed at the front face of the wall cabinet for the raised handle to clear, but they give you enough spacers to mount it anywhere under the cabinet (must be coordinated with under-cabinet lighting). If your cabinet does not have a flush underside, you may need to install some blocking before the spacers (the mounting screws are +/-2" long). Overall, the installation was reasonable and the performance as expected.
on August 18, 2002
I previously had 2 Black and Decker under the counter can-openers. They worked great! This particular one had not worked but 3 times since I got it over a month ago. I would have taken it back but threw the box away thinking it would work since the previous ones I had worked. I have been using my $2.00 hand- held opener and at least they get opened. I will never buy anything else from Black & Decker!!! What happened to the days when you could trust a Brand Name???? As far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't have one star!!!
on September 28, 2008
I have a small kitchen and no spare counter space. I have owned a spacemaker can opener for over ten years and decided to replace it with a new one. I am so glad B&D have not discontinued this model. It is easy to install and works perfecty and since it is attached under my cabinets it does not interfer with my counter space. Great buy and well priced. N.Walker P.S. I installed it toward the back of my cabinet not the front edge,so it is not in my way.
on July 21, 2004
I just wanted to say that this has been a great tool in my kitchen for nearly 4 years now. I have NEVER had to pull out the manual can opener.

The installation was not easy. I don't remember if the directions were poor or what the exact problem was. However, we were able to mount it very securly under the kitchen cabinet by putting 2 wood shims (thin pieces of wood) in the cabinet and then screw the mounting brackets into that. I understand the frustration of rigging up something, but really - this is a fantastic opener. I would think that shims under the cabinet would help with the clearance problem that another reviewer had.
on November 10, 2007
We had a 10-year-old Spacemaker Can Opener that we liked. It died recently, and we purchased the less-costly version of this model at the large superstore near our home. I am a handyman (we built our own home) and this new model will NOT mount properly on European-style kitchen cabinets (with a full-overlay door)! I could make a shim to mount it perhaps 3" below the cabinet, but that would be ridiculous. The mounting for this uses four screws through the base of the cabinet, but there are two front screws within 1/2" of the front of the unit. And the lever swings up 1" ABOVE the top of the unit to insert a can. So the front two mounting screws would need to be mounted into the bottom edge of the cabinet door, or the can opener cannot be used! The printed installation instructions do point out to be sure that the can opener is mounted close enough to the front of the cabinet so that the lever will clear the front of the door. But in doing this, the front two screws cannot be used. So it is going back to the store. What is wrong with B&D Engineering?
on May 27, 2007
This is the first review that I have written, but this item was such a disappointment to me. Every house I have owned I have bought a Spacesaver canopener for the kitchen and have left them with each house.

I have used and been happy with each of them until this model. You have to hold the can a very special way and try several times to get it to work. When I first started buying them, they were owned by GE and then bought out by Black and Decker. This one finally totally broke. I hope the next model I buy works better.
on May 23, 2010
I purchased this product for my father on 4-21-2010. It didnt come with any instructions or hardware for installation. I had to go down to te hardware store and buy some screws. Also the handle to operate the product was too close to the bottom of the cabinet. I think there should be a spacer included between the can opener and the cabinet. It works fine but I think for 50.00 total it should have come with instructions and hardware. I would not recommend buying this product.
on September 22, 2014
My old one lasted for years. When it broke and I resorted to a cheap one on the counter because I couldn't find a replacement, I really missed my black and Decker under the counter. I was so pleased to find this one. I had to admit the price was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but now that I have it I appreciate it every time I need it. Hope it lasts as long as my last one.