Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

on March 20, 2013
I don't expect too much from a toaster oven, especially at this price point, and this unit mostly does (did) what I want. However, I've experienced a RELIABILITY ISSUE, that would have caused me to skip this model if I'd known it in advance.

I've had my unit for less than 6 months, but the "Toast" timer just broke (it instantly times down to zero). After an exhaustive search, there is absolutely no way to buy parts, and there are no repair facilities. You have to cut off the unit's plug and send it, plus $7.50, to the warranty center in Ohio. This means no toaster oven for 3-weeks minimum. (I use mine every day.) I'll update this review when I get my replacement unit and have had it for several months.

- Not too expensive

- Roomy: It easily holds 4 slices plus has a little room to keep a small container of meat, bacon, etc, warm.

- Bakes reasonably well due to it's recirc fan -- about as good as my full-sized oven.

- Has mechanical controls -- which are *usually* more reliable than electronics, use no power when the unit is off, will not spontaneously come on (like digital controls can), and are immune to power glitches and static charges.

- Mechanical timer broke! In decades, I have never had an appliance timer break until now.

- Very short power cord; not even 2 feet long!

- Poor control design. The temperature knob also functions as the bake/broil/toast selector. There are separate timers for bake and toast but, unlike every other toaster-oven I've had, you cannot simultaneously have the oven set to keep warm (say 250 degrees) and toast.

- False advertising. The unit does not have "6-slice" capacity as claimed. At least not normal slices of a standard loaf.

- Burns toast easily. The toast timer has markings for "Light", "Med", "Dark", and "Max". They should really read: "Lukewarm", "A variable shade of brown", "Burnt", and "Charcoal".
Plus, the difference between light-brown, and burnt, seems to be seconds. It's very hard to get consistent toast with this timer.

- Toasts very unevenly. The slices in the center tend to burn, the slices near the door tend to be half-done.

- Poor Door seal. Toaster ovens are all big energy wasters (I'd pay good money for a decent insulated and sealed unit), but this one inexplicable goes from 1 mm gap on one side of the door, to about 8mm on the other. Not only does it look shoddy, but it lets extra heat out.

- Unlike toasters or other ovens, you need a Hot mitt to get the toast out without burning yourself. The toast is not grabbable without sliding out the wire rack a good ways, and the rack does not slide automatically.

- Sloppy. The unit has a catch tray, but it slides around and is poorly designed. The tray and the door act to funnel bread crumbs under the tray. It does catch any drippings though, and most toaster ovens have a similar problem, in my experience.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 16, 2012
So far I have used the convection oven to toast bagels, bread, and waffles. It's worked perfectly. The LIGHT/DARK adjustments were exactly right.

I've also used the oven to bake frozen meals and a casserole. Again, it did a great job--heating evenly and thoroughly. Tops were nicely browned too.

One thing I don't like is that it makes a racket while it's baking. It makes a buzzing or clicking sound that is a bit annoying.

Another thing that I would like changed is for the rack to pull out with the oven door. My previous toaster oven did this, and it made it super convenient to remove the item or baking sheet. Without this feature, I risk burning my fingers when I reach in.

Other than these two issues, I am very happy with this item.
on May 9, 2013
1. Rack cannot be centered for even toasting, one side or the other is either burnt or not toasted

2. While you can fit a frozen pizza in the oven it cooks unevenly at best. If you're really desperate for pizza order one.

3. Timer and temperature settings are approximate, dials too small for any accuracy.

4. Wire rack does not come out when you open the door. It expands when heated and will not pull out (stuck in place) to allow access to toast.

5. No preheat alert. You have to turn it on for 5 or 10 minutes and hope it has reached temperature.
on April 25, 2015
We love this toaster oven!! We just purchased from Amazon after the top element on our old one (same model, purchased elsewhere) stopped working after four years of daily use. I shopped around for a newer / more compact model because I don't have a lot of counter space, but couldn't find anything else even in Black and Decker's newer models that had all the features in a similar price range. One of the best features that sets this apart from other models is the toaster dial offers almost a 180-degree arc of selection, so it's a lot easier for arthritic hands to hit the "sweet spot" of perfect toast. We use for toasting, baking, reheating, and occasionally broiling. The convection feature does save some time in baking and reheating. We like the heating element shields on this and other Black and Decker models because we bake or reheat pizza and other gooey drippy items often. Just make sure you clean the gunk off the shields occasionally, after the oven cools! The only negative we've noticed in 4 years (aside from wishing our old one had lasted even longer!) is that sometimes -- but not always -- toast comes out a bit darker on top than the bottom.
NOTE TO AMAZON: your product specifications for this model indicate it is 19.2 inches wide, but it is only 16.75 inches wide. This caused a lot of confusion before we decided to purchase -- we had one already, but thought perhaps B&D had remodeled / widened it while keeping same model #. Funny how we believed what Amazon said even with contrary evidence staring us in the face! (Note my question in the Q&A section recently!) You do need to allow airflow space all around.
on February 28, 2015
Got it as a gift about a year ago. Barely use it. It's smokes like crazy I'm scared it's gonna burn the house down.
on December 18, 2013
I bought this oven from Target on May, 2013 at the same price Amazon offering. But after just 2-3 times per week usage, we are getting issues with this oven. Temperature knob becomes so hard to move that sometimes my wife couldn't even move after putting her full force. Looks like soon it will break. This is purely a quality issue. I bought this oven based on overall good reputation of Black & Decker but this oven does not meet our expectations. This oven comes with two year limited warranty so I will definitely contact the manufacturer.
Update 01/02/2014: In response to my comments, Black & Decker contacted me and they shipped a brad new oven which I received on Dec. 30, 2013. Excellent customer service and trust on customers.
on April 29, 2015
We have had this 2 and 1/2 years now. The toaster function is used almost every day. The oven function 2-3 times per week on average. It has always been slow to toast. We've had a number of toaster ovens over the years and this is by far the slowest. Recently the temperature control started cycling on and off making it unusable. Very disappointed. I've had cheaper ovens last over 10 years.
on June 10, 2015
Good thing it was fairly inexpensive... it only lasted a year or so. The top heating elements died, so it will not toast or broil anymore. It performed OK until it broke, although the convection fan was always a bit noisy. This one is now going to the land fill or scrap yard. I just ordered a new toaster oven (going to give Hamilton Beach a try this time).
on July 25, 2015
Purchased as a replacement due to the original not surviving being moved. Bad moving company. Works great with my old eyes, i.e. good contrast on the knob. Analog controls allow for easy adjustment of "a little more" or "a little less" when cooking.
on April 14, 2014
To start: I am a long-time Black & Decker fan. But that is no reason for you or anybody else to buy this convection oven "thing."

On the one hand, when it works, it does a fantastic job primarily on reheating food evenly and quickly. It's superb. When it works.

I am about to receive my third TO1660B since the first two went back on warranty. The first one worked great for a year, then the timing knob failed. Whatever time you set it to, it zipped back to ZERO instantly. You could cook nothing.

The second one was NEVER fine (nice QC, guys.) The temperature knob was tough to move and after we cooked something, the knob froze solid. To get it to move at all, we had to pry the plastic knob off the unit with a screwdriver, then turn the metal base with a vice-grip. Not exactly "easy to use." We seemed to unfreeze it... three times...but it always froze again. We finally left it at around 400 degrees so we could do SOMETHING with it, but that was lunacy so we called Applica (that's who does these) and talked to them. The Applica people are always nice, knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. They agreed this time to send me another upgraded model since they were, thank God, out of the 1660B.

We are waiting for it and hope it will be better. Unless you want to waste time trying to make a piece of dung work like it's supposed to, do NOT buy the T01660. It is the single worst toaster-oven like product we have ever owned, and we've been buying them since they were invented a LONG time ago.