4.0 out of 5 stars Look it's a toaster oven not a JennAir!
A toaster oven is not a high tech piece of kitchen equipment unless you want to pay a lot of money for it. I don't. I have a very nice oven, so what I want a toaster oven to do is toast and reheat basically.

Published on April 5, 2005 by Get What We Give

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of fire!
Published on November 18, 2004 by Lisa

4.0 out of 5 stars Look it's a toaster oven not a JennAir!, April 5, 2005

Yes, the outside gets extremely hot - it can start a fire if you put anything flammable up against it - but so can your home oven. I learned the hard way how quickly a toaster oven can catch something on fire. It wasn't the oven's fault - it was mine. I replaced my previous Black and Decker toaster oven only because I put a sack of groceries against it while it was on and it melted it all quite nicely.

However, you should always use common sense when you're cooking or working in the kitchen (and remember don't run with scissors and don't play with matches). Some things are just common sense.

This little toaster oven does everything I want it to do and at a very low price. The door shuts all the way, which is more than can be said for most of the others - some even far far more expensive than this one had a problem with door closing. It gets hot quickly and maintains the temperature for as long as I need it to.

That by definition is an oven. This is a toaster oven - not a regular oven - so be mindful of the exterior heat on it (I take advantage of it - I thaw out frozen items on the stainless steel top of the item and soften butter).

4.0 out of 5 stars Folks, If You Want a Cuisinart, Buy One!, January 20, 2007
This is a cheap toaster oven that makes toast and grilled cheese sandwiches and heats up pizza. If you handle it gently and don't put anything on top of it that shouldn't be there, it will peform such tasks well, and the fact that it "gets hot" won't be problem. We've purchased one for my office, despite the initial concerns of our office manager who, after reading some of the reviews below, feared that it might blow up or catch fire. Several of us, however, had had previous experience with Black & Decker products and knew that they were reliable. Therefore, we bought the toaster oven and are using it to prepare breakfast, lunch and snacks.

Moral: You get what you pay for. This product is inexpensive. It isn't going to roast your Thanksgiving turkey, and it won't last forever, but it works.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of fire!, November 18, 2004
Lisa (Buffalo, NY) - See all my reviews
This oven gets soooooo hot on the outside that if ANYTHING is touching it or near it it will be affected. Be especially careful that the cord itself (slack) is not touching the back of it or you could have an electrical fire on your hands. We had a phone cord that touched the back of it and melted itself to it, luckily the phone line shorted out the whole system and alerted us to a problem before a fire broke out. Also, since there's no timer it was easy to forget something was cooking. Spend a little more for better insulation and a timer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Product in Our Wedding Registry, November 28, 2006
My wife and I put a white Toast-R-Oven from Black & Decker on our wedding registry, thinking it'd make a solid addition to our kitchen. Within the 1-yr warranty, our toaster oven stopped working. The button for making toast had ceased to depress and hold, requiring us to manually push down the button if we wanted to make toast. B&D had us snip the electrical cord and mail it back to them (I suppose to make sure we weren't just asking for another unit while keeping our current one).

We received the replacement a few weeks later, but this one also broke. Unfortunately for us, the 1-yr warranty had just expired. This time, the problem was the heating element on the roof of the unit. One of the elements (a rod-like tube that goes lengthwise along the toaster) started giving off sparks and then collapsed. Instead of staying pressed against the top of the unit, one of the rods had partially fallen down, bending at an angle. You might think this was a case of user-error, perhaps by the owner accidentally ramming too big a chunk of food into the toaster and cracking the heating element... but I am positive that neither one of us touched the topside heating element. (We typically used it to toast Eggos and bread; with the pan, we used it to warm up leftover pizza, taco shells, cookies.)

The oven no longer works since the topside no longer generates heat. The bottom still gets hot, but a funny smell permeates when the oven is activated, probably because of the broken heating element on top.

Overall, this device is of such poor quality that I would not pay a single cent for another. This is the WORST item on our registry -- a piece of junk that causes headaches and frustration. I will NEVER buy another toaster oven from Black & Decker, and I am afraid to try any of their other kitchenware. I just can't trust their workmanship or design.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't like it, August 9, 2007
I bought this 4 years ago and it just stopped working, which seems a short time for a toaster. Additionally I have never been satisfied with the door, which somehow won't stay open unless you hold it there, which makes it difficult to grab your toast with one hand without the door closing on you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Toasting After All These Years, March 9, 2007
I. M. Toasty (Jellyville, United States) - See all my reviews
My husband and I registered for, and received this toaster oven by Black and Decker when we got married in 1999. After eight years of frequent use, it is still performing well. We use it regularly as both a toaster and an oven - it's great for baking nachos, individual frozen pizzas, drop biscuits, even cookies! It doesn't heat quite as evenly when used as a toaster, but if we weren't happy with it, we would have replaced it long ago. Overall, I think it's a terrific value and a nice little toaster.

2.0 out of 5 stars A good but short life, November 7, 2007
This is our second Black and Decker toaster oven in three years. Our first died after two years of steady use. While we thought that two years seemed a short life for such a simple device we like how the B&D worked so we bought another one - thinking that with better care perhaps this next one would last longer.

A little less than a year later we were proven wrong with our second "Classic" B&D toaster ovening dying an ignoble death. First the baking timer broke, then the toasting timer. Yes, I'm just handy enough to try to fix this but I shouldn't have to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Product Description, October 22, 2007
I have previously owned 2 B&D under cabinet mounted toaster ovens and found them to be great. I loved being able to have the appliance up off of the counter. After my last one 'gave up the toast' so to speak, I immediately went in search of a replacement. I discovered that B&D apparently was no longer making the undermount model. I was very excited to find a B&D toaster oven on this site that was advertised 'Better Together' with the undermount (which I already have). A combined price was even listed. I just happened to scroll down and read all of the toaster product information where it clearly stated 'This model cannot be used as a under the cabinet unit.' This could be a real fire hazard. Don't order these two items to use together! My one star is not a reflection of the quality of the product, but as a warning of misleading product presentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is...., April 11, 2007
E. Berry "zeetwo8" (Lincoln Park, Michigan USA) - See all my reviews
I've had this toaster for about 4 years and it's been perfect. In fact, it's wariming a couple slices of pizza as I type. I just ordered the Cuisenart one for $150. I will make sure I like it before this one goes to my sister as a hand-me-down. Great toaster.

1.0 out of 5 stars fire Danger, March 7, 2008
timer stopped working after 5 months use, never shut off,toast started fire requiring fire extinguisher to put out.

B&D does not respond for refund.

DO NOT BUY.