Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Black & Decker TR1256B 850-Watt 2-Slice Toaster with Bagel Function, Black/Silver
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

VINE VOICEon February 2, 2012
Why do toasters bite the dust just when you are counting on them? We recently had one go to the great toaster graveyard in the sky and picked up this basic model locally.

It is wide enough for bagels, and has a frozen food setting that I use for my Toaster Strudel and my husband uses for frozen waffles. It works.

In case you didn't notice the photo, it is black, like the rest of my kitchen. In the two months we have had it, it has toasted things nicely, it has not blown up or set my kitchen on fire, and it has not magically changed to another color. So it passes all of my tests.

If you want it to do something else, you probably need another toaster or a different appliance, but this is exactly what it says it is.

EDITED Feb 13, 2013

This toaster continues to toast away in our kitchen. Since our daughter and granddaughter moved in with us, it has faithfully served four people instead of two.

It still hasn't done anything magic or special, just gives us toast when we want it. And gratefully, it has remained black, which matches my can opener and microwave, and her Keurig. Since our counter is now a bit more crowded, the only thing I would change us to make the cord a bit longer, but they all seem to have shorter cords nowadays.
11 comment| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2011
I bought this toaster so that a few of us at work would be able to to use it. So far most use has been with toasting bagels, so my review is based on that. When I got the toaster the first thing I thought was this was a great looking toaster! I love that it has wide slots, which are great for bagels. Another feature I love is that it has a cancel button (I didn't realize this was a great feature until I had one toaster which I wasn't able to cancel). The downside to this toaster is that you practically have to put the setting very low or else you will burn your toast. Also, the toaster does not toast evenly, because every time I put a bagel in the toaster the bottom has toasted more than the top of the bagel. I'm a little disappointed in this toaster because my old cheap toaster toasted better than this one. But I guess for the price it will do for now.
33 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2011
I read so many reviews on toasters it was ridiculous. After a while, you realize that every one of them will eventually produce a lemon that someone is not happy about. It's a toaster....pick the features you like and try it out. If it's not what you want...return it. The B&D TR1256B is certainly quality enough for the price. Give me a bagel feature, don't burn my stuff, and don't swallow my sandwich thins and I will be happy. This toaster works great, looks nice in my kitchen, has just the right amount of features, and the price is right. What else do you need?
on August 11, 2011
In addition to the browning problems, the crumb tray doesn't cover all of the openings in the bottom of the toaster. There will be crumbs on the counter when it's used and in the cupboard when it's stored--even after turning the toaster upside down and shaking it. The lever to start the toaster will last about 10 months in my experience. After that, the toaster just won't turn on. B & D quality seems to have hit bottom in this appliance.
on May 16, 2012
I ordered this toaster because of the price and positive reviews. As always with Amazon Prime the product arrived promptly and was securely packaged. That's where things went down hill pretty quickly. Upon opening the box I noticed the toaster body is made almost entirely of cheap looking plastic. Next, I go to plug it in, and realize that the cord is pretty short. After re-arraigning some items on my kitchen counter I finally got it plugged in. However, the toasters plunger would not descend down far enough to engage and turn on the heating element. After feeling a little foolish for needing help to operate a toaster, I called the Black and Decker help line. After 22 mins. on hold, the customer service representative confirmed that the toaster was not operational, and suggest I return it. The problem is that the cost of returning the product is almost half the price I paid, and I still have a cheap looking toaster. Eventually the customer service representative agreed to send me a new toaster if I would just cut off the power cord and mail it in.
I'll say this; at least the Black and Decker customer service representative did make an effort to rectify the problem. And if they replace the broken product as promised, within a reasonable period of time I may change my rating to provide for at least making an effort to address the problem.
on April 28, 2011
Just bought this toaster for $20, just because I liked the way it looked. Manual said set dial at 4 for reg. bread, but that burned it quickly + stunk up the whole house. Had to unplug to stop heating. Toasted thin bread on lowest setting + still burned. Made in China. Defective?

Called Black + Decker C.S. + waited a very long time for rude/nasty rep. named Diamond, who wanted # off metal part of elec. prong--042-EH. They're sending me another toaster. Bad reviews here about burning but will try another one.

Have looked at all black toasters online, and only other one I liked the look of was Kitchen Aid at about $40. Unfortunately, many reviews say it won't toast on even the highest setting. What? What's going on here? Can't anything be made right anymore? Where's quality control?
on June 30, 2012
They attach the (short) cord on the bottom of the toaster closest to the workings (where you push the lever down, set the level of darkness). If your wall outlet is not very close, you'll end up with the workings facing the wall.
review image
on August 25, 2011
Product exactly as pictured and described. Works fine, looks great with my other appliances. Unlike many other toasters, this one has deep enough wells so that the bread is toasted evenly all over.
on March 11, 2012
The standard bagel in New York City is about 5-1/4" in diameter. When put in this toaster the top 1" hung out the top and didn't toast at all. To compensate, when the bagel was finished toasting on the lower part of the 5-1/4" I turned the bagel 180 degrees so the untoasted part was down. This worked except the middle half was over browned.

Not what I'd call a convenience appliance since had to stand by the toaster to check the second round of cooking.

What were they thinking when they designed this toaster (or the advertising for it)?

I sent it right back, postage on Amazon.
on April 8, 2012
Great little toaster. Easy to use, blends with the kitchen well and is very consistent in how toasted it makes the toast. Only ding is for the rather short cord. I like to slide the toaster out from under the upper cabinet so as not to risk setting it or the wall on fire. The short cord just barely lets the toaster reach the edge of the counter.

Mind you, I have read that "short cords" is now the norm in toasters. I guess manufacturers would rather you risk burning the upper cabinet or wall rather than letting some child hang himself with the extra cord hanging down from the counter. Ya know they must have been sued for something like that or whatever.....

Also, I have vowed to never buy an expensive toaster or coffee maker ever again. Too many times they simply don't last. So, we shop and buy these 'cheap' appliances for under $20 and have been very impressed. This toaster fits the bill (as does the $18 coffee maker). If it dies in a year, we'll simply replace it and not fret over the cost as we have done way too many times with so called "premium" model coffee makers and toasters priced much higher.

You should consider "cheapies" too not only from a cost advantage, but also cleanliness. Unless you're willing to dismantle your small appliances for a detailed cleaning, do you really wanna keep one forever?

PS: It took a couple of "toastings" before it was broken in and stopped burning or under toasting. But perfect after that!